Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 22:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 13:39 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
Number 8 was very interesting but I rarely listen to anything except Tell Ol' Bill and Ring Them Bells. I haven't bothered myself with any of the others...

WHAAAAAAAAAA´?????!!!!!!
You have no time for Red river shore? Marchin´to the city? Cross the green mountain? Can´t escape from you? Or with those reworks of songs such as Can´t wait, Someday baby or Born in time, which totally wipe the floor with the standard versions? The 2 extra versions of Mississippi? Ain´t talking? Miss the Mississippi? Cocaine? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't forget that thundering version of High Water.

Well, the best version of Most of the time ever recorded is also worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 13:45 GMT 

whichoneispink wrote:
Well, the best version of Most of the time ever recorded is also worth mentioning.

there I disagree. To me the album version is the one to go to, with Lanois heavenly production

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 18:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

BS12 was announced in late September.

I hope we get a gift soon. Remember how long we waited for Shadows in the night after Full Moon?

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 19:32 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:

I hope we get a gift soon. Remember how long we waited for Shadows in the night after Full Moon?

I almost forgot about that. Full Moon was on BobDylan.com in early 2014, right? And the album wasn't announced 'til early 2015 and came out in February, right?

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 21:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

eltedioso wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

I almost forgot about that. Full Moon was on BobDylan.com in early 2014, right? And the album wasn't announced 'til early 2015 and came out in February, right?

I believe so. I think bootleg vol 11 got in the way.

PostPosted: Thu July 13th, 2017, 23:02 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Aside from Official Bootleg Series 1-3, I think this has the greatest potential for anything of lasting substance. The Rolling Thunder (number 5) was nice but wore thin within a few months and I rarely listen to it anymore. Number 8 was very interesting but I rarely listen to anything except Tell Ol' Bill and Ring Them Bells. I haven't bothered myself with any of the others...

My greatest interest in this one is the hope that unreleased material will find its way onto the discs and hopefully some songs or arrangements previously unknown. It was a fantastically creative time in his career and it would be a blessing to be a recipient of this material.

You've got an interesting taste, Untrodden Path. For me, aside from BS1-3, BS4 and BS8 are the ones that I enjoy most and regularly.

I don't think that BS13 will be as essential as these - I regard fundamentalist Dylan as a guilty pleasure for those who love his music enough to ignore some of its ethically questionable content. Nevertheless, this is the stuff I'd like to hear:
- more studio versions of Caribbean Wind (or the already available one in a better mix)
- a professional recording of that one Caribbean Wind live performance (Heylin claims it exists)
- the original Heart Of Mine
- a fiery live recording of Precious Angel
- Cover Down, Break Through
- maybe some more outtakes of the true gems of this period like Every Grain of Sand and Angelina

PostPosted: Fri July 14th, 2017, 01:06 GMT 

I just finished reading 'A Spiritual Life' by Scott M. Marshall and while I have not read many books on Dylan's life and music it is hard to imagine that any of the others reveal just how great an impact religion has had and continues to have on Dylan and his music. The book naturally examines the concerts and recordings which I imagine will form the nucleus of BS 13. The passage of time has encouraged many individuals to recognize the intense nature of these performances. I hope we get to hear and maybe see some of the best material performed live.

Drummer Jim Keltner is quoted (pg 175) as follows," I think it's a pity those songs (from Saved) were recorded in the studio, instead of live. There was a show in Seattle (in November 1980) when we got a standing ovation after 'Solid Rock' for almost five minutes. It was so extraordinarily powerful, and the people just flipped out and I'd never seen that before - ever."

Right from the word go religion has been a key element in Dylan's music and life, and according to Marshall's book it continues to this day, hence the timing and importance of this release. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon July 24th, 2017, 20:25 GMT 

Is it a coincidence that there are all these articles being written about the gospel period and books being published about it? Are they trying to convince people to write about the gospel period to hype up for BLS 13?

PostPosted: Tue July 25th, 2017, 05:45 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
Is it a coincidence that there are all these articles being written about the gospel period and books being published about it? Are they trying to convince people to write about the gospel period to hype up for BLS 13?

I think the announcement that they are planning a Gospel BS alone has sparked some interest. In today's world, you wanna get in there first if you intend to write an article or book. Also, the BS announcement probably made it easier for writers to find a home for their articles and books. At the same time it works well as hype for the release, so both sides are happy.

As for "they" (Columbia? Dylan's folks?) trying to "convince" people to write about it already - don't think so. That will only be the case if the actual product is on sale or at least available fore pre-order.

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 13:40 GMT 

This will reavulate this period for a lot of people

Dynamite Dylan

You changed my life, need a woman, Caribbean wind, Ye shall be changed, Angelina, all the live shows and other outtakes and released songs from this period, honestly incredibly lyrically dynamite and musically rich performances and recordings

Direct, honest, passionate... Dylan at his most honest and vulnerable

Can't wait to see what they do with this period for the bootleg series

PostPosted: Sat August 5th, 2017, 15:13 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:

Dynamite Dylan

You changed my life, need a woman, Caribbean wind, Ye shall be changed, Angelina, all the live shows and other outtakes and released songs from this period, honestly incredibly lyrically dynamite and musically rich performances and recordings

As above :D

PostPosted: Sun August 6th, 2017, 20:56 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:

Dynamite Dylan

Yonder Comes No13!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 12:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe Dylan, Inc. will combine the BS13 & Fall Tour announcements.
It's been done before.

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 15:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oh by the grace of the Almighty One, blessed be the name, I hope he not only releases it but makes the material the heart of the 2017 Never Ending Tour setlist. That would be divine!!!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 19:18 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Oh by the grace of the Almighty One, blessed be the name, I hope he not only releases it but makes the material the heart of the 2017 Never Ending Tour setlist. That would be divine!!!

Alleluia!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 19:36 GMT 

Amen!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

INRI!!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 20:19 GMT 

Just call me Doubting Thomas.

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 20:43 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:

Insha Allah!

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 18:05 GMT 

jman wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Insha Allah!

Oh my God, let's hope, that won't happen.
The Sinatra-phase and the gospel-phase are the weakest phases of his whole career. And it doesn't interest me, if he sang in these times like an angel or a nightingale. His ardour and his lack of distance to his devout religious material was and is quite strange for me.
I prefer his better and doubting songs, which have often a religious dimension or have at least very often a transcendental undertone. If he sings these songs, which were worthy of the nobelprize (not those from the gospel-era, I never heard someone say something like this) - in a perfect voice or if he is croaking them - I don't mind. Most often I think that he's singing the songs as they should be sung).

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 20:24 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:

Yes!

Imagine - Before the year's out, Dylan releases an album of originals all deeply religious in nature, an album of gospel covers, and the new gospel bootleg series, incorporates the three (triplicate/holy trinity) collections into his live set, and sings the praises of the lord till the end of the net and knocks on heavens door.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 04:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Besides Blood and John Wesley, what is there left to release?

What is everyone looking forward to?

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 05:12 GMT 

shooting_star_night wrote:
Besides Blood and John Wesley, what is there left to release?

What is everyone looking forward to?

Infidels

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 05:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

HopE wrote:
Oh my God, let's hope, that won't happen.
The Sinatra-phase and the gospel-phase are the weakest phases of his whole career. And it doesn't interest me, if he sang in these times like an angel or a nightingale. His ardour and his lack of distance to his devout religious material was and is quite strange for me.
I prefer his better and doubting songs, which have often a religious dimension or have at least very often a transcendental undertone. If he sings these songs, which were worthy of the nobelprize (not those from the gospel-era, I never heard someone say something like this) - in a perfect voice or if he is croaking them - I don't mind. Most often I think that he's singing the songs as they should be sung).

I'm with ya Hope. The gospel stuff just doesn't interest me very much. If the Bootleg Series comes out and opens my eyes to the era (similar to the way Another Self Portrait improved my perception of that time), then maybe my opinion will change.

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 09:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

HopE wrote:
The Sinatra-phase and the gospel-phase are the weakest phases of his whole career.

Um, I hafta respectfully disagree, Hope.
The Gospel Phase blows doors on the American Standard Period, period.
Please don't place them in the same category.

The songs Saved, Solid Rock & Pressin On, alone, come to mind as behemoths!

This BS Set will most likely be a pleasant surprise for many Gospel Era naysayers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next