Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 17:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 13:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Now we finally know about BS 12 there are still many more recordings that fans want such as Gospel Tears Blood On The Tracks and the so called missing songs from the 60's .
We need a date so we can plan our purchases.
So when can we get a date?

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 13:22 GMT 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85303

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 13:23 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Now we finally know about BS 12 there are still many more recordings that fans want such as Gospel Tears Blood On The Tracks and the so called missing songs from the 60's .
We need a date so we can plan our purchases.
So when can we get a date?

We will get right on that for you :D

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 14:17 GMT 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85303

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 22:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

I hope they f*ck off with the 60's for the next 3 or 4 releases of The Bootleg series. We already got more than enough of that stuff out there. Let's cover some other portions of the guys career already.

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 23:12 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
I hope they f*ck off with the 60's for the next 3 or 4 releases of The Bootleg series. We already got more than enough of that stuff out there. Let's cover some other portions of the guys career already.

Agreed. Those Supper Tapes videos perhaps? Or 1978? That's a year I'd love to have an official release of.

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 23:26 GMT 

It will be called "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35": the 2 CD will have 12 different versions, out-takes and false starts, the 6 CD version will have 35 different versions.

PostPosted: Fri September 25th, 2015, 23:32 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
It will be called "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35": the 2 CD will have 12 different versions, out-takes and false starts, the 6 CD version will have 35 different versions.

I heard that if you go with the collectors edition, you can listen to Dylan and the Band getting high beforehand.

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 01:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

You people are certifiable!! :lol:

Me too. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 03:20 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:

I think the most exciting element of this release for me is the accompanying knowledge that -- unless we get a Live '65 tape, which seems unlikely to me, since the copyright thing would suggest that if we were going to get it, it would be with this release -- we're done with the mid-'60's releases. The well of early tapes is still pretty bottomless, but I'm encouraged by the quote I read elsewhere here about the producers of the set wanting to explore some later eras. I know the "BOTT" era is on the docket already, but apart from that I have long felt that a set covering 1979-81 (similar to how the "Another Self Portrait" record covered 1969-71 -- maybe this one could be called "Even Slower Train Coming") has been one of the most glaring omissions in Bob's discography. I also think the '80's would be well-served by a "Tell Tale Signs"-style release, combining live and studio stuff, similar to belleseb32's "Faithful" and "Ashes and Dust" collections. At some point, another complete concert would be welcome as well.

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 03:59 GMT 

Ill see him in anything, so I'll stand in line

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 07:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy wrote:

What about the 18 disc set?

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 14:50 GMT 

From the Rolling Stone article about The Cutting Edge: "We've always wanted to do one of pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses," says the Dylan source. "We'd also love to revisit Blood on the Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy and the gospel albums."

I hope we get Blood On The Tracks first. As much as I love early folkie Dylan I can't help feeling that we've had far too much of it now with Philharmonic Hall 1964, No Direction Home, The Witmark Demos, The Gaslight Tapes, Brandeis University and the Copyright Extension collections. Yes, a deluxe boxset of coffeehouse performances with a lovely book would be nice to own but I'll take the Gospel Years or 80s Bob over that any day of the week.

I'll be interested to see how they revisit Oh Mercy, is there a load of stuff we don't know about? Surely the best stuff is already circulating on bootlegs or the bits that were released on Tell Tale Signs?

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 15:27 GMT 

Bring on the Gospel Tapes!!

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 16:04 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:
I'll be interested to see how they revisit Oh Mercy, is there a load of stuff we don't know about? Surely the best stuff is already circulating on bootlegs or the bits that were released on Tell Tale Signs?

Probably not a load of stuff we haven't heard...I would imagine there's still some stuff from those sessions which is worth hearing, but they'd be better served to package it in a entry that spanned a few years (most likely, the 80's.)

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 16:25 GMT 

I'd like to see a second instalment of Tell Tale Signs spanning 1989-present. I quite liked the haphazard compilation format, it was more in keeping with the spirit of the original Bootleg Series, although with the latest two releases the focus of the Bootleg Series seems to have shifted more towards completism and it's become a reference archive.

PostPosted: Sat September 26th, 2015, 23:02 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:

Bootleg Series 13: Series Of Series Of Dreams.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 01:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think Sony could put out a time table. After all the series has been going now for many years. At times one feels the compilations have been done in a hap hazard way with no real care given to what collectors may want or need.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 01:55 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
I think Sony could put out a time table. After all the series has been going now for many years. At times one feels the compilations have been done in a hap hazard way with no real care given to what collectors may want or need.

It's been very haphazard. They have to keep on rethinking things as they learn more and more about the extent of what we'll buy.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 02:31 GMT 

2016's bootleg series should be Live 1966 for copyright protection purposes. Also release Blu Ray / DVD sets at the same time. And have a limited release in movie theaters - not a documentary, just live performance.

Blood on the Tracks will have to be pushed back again.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 03:18 GMT 

bs 4 is live 1966. i think theyll put out an anniversary collection if they have to, but i doubt there will be another live 1966 bs.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 04:06 GMT 

BS #4 doesn't have a 6 disc Deluxe Version with a list price of $150, though. They will be able to sell a whole bunch of those next year. Maybe they'll do a Collectors Edition as well.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 13:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Collectors editions are fine for people like me, however not everyone can afford high prices.

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 13:35 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Collectors editions are fine for people like me.

Old men?

PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 13:38 GMT 

camilla's house wrote:
bs 4 is live 1966. i think theyll put out an anniversary collection if they have to, but i doubt there will be another live 1966 bs.

I agree. It seems unreasonable for Sony to release 1966 lives again as a Bootleg Series. The tracklist would be the same (with few exceptions such as the American and Australian legs of the tour), and for non-hardcore fans, the differences between every concerts are tedious. That was the big default of the Jewels & Binoculars set: too much repetitive material to digest.
Cutting Edge has at least the progression in the sessions that may justify the content. The lives don't. And do we seriously need another big (or even bigger) box of 60's Dylan? That would be the third 60's installment in a row (4th without ASP) and the 7th total. I'd like some variety, at last.

They have to reduce the scale of the series. BS 13 should be something completely different, maybe Infidels or the Gospel Years. But I'm sure Sony would like to cash in the most of Dylan heyday until it's too late. So I will go for BOTT (not much material at hands, iconic period for fans but different from the 60's, and the possibility to have several editions if they include some lives or home recordings). Another TTS seems unlikely for the moment (what kind of material should be included that will please the fans, the average consumers and that are not redundant with BS8?). So Blood On The Tracks all the way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next