Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 02:18 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cutting Edge
PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2016, 07:03 GMT 

Just now making my way through all 18 discs. Currently I'm listening to the various takes of One Of Us Must Know, and I felt compelled to comment here because I'm loving it so much. The evolution of this song is so beautiful and raw and inspired. Reminds me of that magical feeling I got when I first listened to Blonde on Blonde. Anyways, just felt like I had to say something.

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2016, 08:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Running through that 18 disc run is really something special

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2016, 19:24 GMT 

Did anyone notice that there is artwork in the 2CD Edition that isn't in the 6CD Deluxe or 18CD Collector's Editions, and there is artwork in the 6CD Deluxe Edition which isn't used in the 18CD Collector's Edition?

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2016, 20:25 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Did anyone notice that there is artwork in the 2CD Edition that isn't in the 6CD Deluxe or 18CD Collector's Editions, and there is artwork in the 6CD Deluxe Edition which isn't used in the 18CD Collector's Edition?

You REALLY need to get out more ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 25th, 2016, 22:18 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:

Any chance you kept your notes on the page numbers and versions?

PostPosted: Wed October 26th, 2016, 16:48 GMT 

workingmanblues wrote:
pol2jem wrote:

Any chance you kept your notes on the page numbers and versions?

I didn't write anything down, assuming that it would have been done by someone already and that I'd be the last person to come across this marketing ploy. Then I started getting out more. When my agoraphobia returns I'll get onto it.

I remember the differences included the studio log illustrations and some photos.

PostPosted: Sun December 4th, 2016, 07:15 GMT 

In Robbie's book he says they recorded a studio version of Tell Me, Momma. Hmm. It may be a case of a faulty memory, though, since he also recalls Maggie's Farm being played in Paris, 1966 ...

PostPosted: Mon December 5th, 2016, 03:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

I only have the 6-CD set & haven't really even given it the time it deserves, so probably a good choice.
Getting excited for the 70's-80's-90's to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri December 9th, 2016, 17:30 GMT 

My goal for 2017 is to not buy another CD until I manage to scrape together enough to finally score a copy of the 18-disc "Cutting Edge" set.

So if anybody is disenchanted with their copy and wish to liquidate, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 02:00 GMT 

Does anyone know if the track notes for the Collector's Edition were ever posted anywhere?

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 07:20 GMT 

Would love to hear a "Best Of" the 18 disc version one day!

Just listening to the 6 CD version. I reminded how much "fun" this is--I never used to associate mid-60's Bob with fun, always read it as quite dark (perhaps I was mistaken) but this is just a joy. Rich music, lovely vocals, lots of laughter.

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 07:39 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

Me too. And I hope it contains this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRNSHqiH7A

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 19:45 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

Just listening to the 6 CD version. I reminded how much "fun" this is--I never used to associate mid-60's Bob with fun, always read it as quite dark (perhaps I was mistaken) but this is just a joy. Rich music, lovely vocals, lots of laughter.

I suppose the 6CD set was designed to be the "Best Of" the 18CD set, and it's probably not too far off the mark in that respect, except perhaps in the bizarre decision to use up an entire CD for all the LARS takes, which, whisper it, could well be the dullest of the CDs in the 18-wheeler, also. A smaller selection of LARS takes on the 6CD set would have freed up space for more interesting takes of other songs.

But in the end any "Best Of" would still fall short of illustrating the often haphazard process employed by Bob to record the songs. For that, experiencing the entire contents of the 18CD set is essential. And, of course, even the 18CD set doesn't contain every note recorded, as Sony claimed...

#

PostPosted: Sat May 6th, 2017, 19:56 GMT 

I'm also just now working through the 18 discs. I am currently on disc 9. Some of the rehearsals and total changes in arrangements have been really fascinating (It Takes a Lot to Laugh; Desolation Row). Bob definitely has some great banter (e.g., when asked if it would help him to have the lyrics, he says something like, "No...that wouldn't help at all!"). The master piano take of LARS was really fun to hear, and after so many takes, I'm really starting to love Can You Please Crawl.....grave

PostPosted: Sun May 7th, 2017, 09:02 GMT 

to the grave wrote:
I'm also just now working through the 18 discs. I am currently on disc 9. Some of the rehearsals and total changes in arrangements have been really fascinating (It Takes a Lot to Laugh; Desolation Row). Bob definitely has some great banter (e.g., when asked if it would help him to have the lyrics, he says something like, "No...that wouldn't help at all!"). The master piano take of LARS was really fun to hear, and after so many takes, I'm really starting to love Can You Please Crawl.....grave

Completely agree with the last comment. CYPCOYW really shines in this collection. It seemed like a throwaway single at the time of release, but here you understand how apparently important it was for Bob. Also, in the promo film for the 1996 Live recordings you see Bob playing it briefly, acoustically, at a soundcheck at RAH. Terrific song!

Just wait till you get to the "She's Your Lover Now" session! The whole piece should be used in management seminars under the heading, "How Not To Manage Your Workforce - A Cautionary Tale of Why Management By Telepathy Doesn't Work".

The SYLN sessions alone were worth my £600 and a starvation diet for the following 2 months!

#

PostPosted: Tue May 9th, 2017, 11:35 GMT 

I'm still kicking myself for not being able to grab this when it was only $600.

Again--if anybody regrets buying this and wants to at least break even for their troubles, shoot me a PM.

(Kind of weird that these boards don't have a subforum for such transactions.)

PostPosted: Wed May 10th, 2017, 19:07 GMT 

mikepierce wrote:
Does anyone know if the track notes for the Collector's Edition were ever posted anywhere?

Not that I'm aware of.

The track notes by Ben Rollins included in the Collector's Edition are perfunctory really and not particularly informative. For example, Tombstone Blues features on 12 tracks across 2 of the CDs. Ben sums up all 12 tracks in nine lines of, frankly, bland text.

Contrast this with the unofficial commentary by Roger Ford, published in six parts over about 70 pages in Isis Magazine last year. He dedicates nine lines of text just to the experimental harmonica overdub, a bizarre little track, featured on CD 8, which last just a minute and for which there is no context until Roger gets hold of it, thus:-

TOMBSTONE BLUES (CO 86838)

Take 1 Harmonica overdub (Disc 8 Track 14): Having by now discarded the Chambers Brothers’ backing vocals on this song, Dylan was apparently still looking for some other way to add interest to the track. Probably recalling his overdubbed background harmonica on “Bringing It all Back Home”’s ‘Outlaw Blues’, he decided to try it on this one, again playing the harp held in both hands for a proper blues sound. The only problem was that ‘Tombstone Blues’ was played in the key of F♯; this would have required a harmonica in the fairly unusual key of B, which Dylan most likely didn’t have. So he evidently had the master take sped up sufficiently to raise the pitch by a semitone, allowing him play along using a standard C harmonica. Given that he only recorded a single verse and chorus, this was probably just an experiment, and had it been judged a success he would no doubt have gone out and bought a B harmonica to do it at the right speed. Thankfully, he decided against this course of action, and accepted that the original recording was good enough as it was.

Until I read this, I hadn't got a clue what Bob was trying to do.

Probably JR would not have given the time for Roger to have produced his peerless commentary for the box, even if JR had given it any thought. However, if he had I have little doubt that Roger would have received a Grammy for his efforts. I believe he will be including his Cutting Edge commentary on his Electric Dylan website when it is relaunched, hopefully this year.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 17:35 GMT 

mikepierce wrote:

You can get it on Wikipedia.

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 15:12 GMT 

I skimmed through this again today, its like opening the box up everytime i go back to these. Its sad theres no more 'chatter' around this release, with the intense speculation about salt lake city atm its worth remembering this is also tbe holy of holy grails. Its a beautiful thing and i dont ever see me getting bored of it.

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 17:49 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
I skimmed through this again today, its like opening the box up everytime i go back to these. Its sad theres no more 'chatter' around this release, with the intense speculation about salt lake city atm its worth remembering this is also tbe holy of holy grails. Its a beautiful thing and i dont ever see me getting bored of it.

totally with you on that. I wish I could have afforded/justified the BIG box, but even with only the 6 disc version, it is such a treat!

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 18:04 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:

I'm glad it's there for historical purposes. But personally I don't enjoy it all that much.

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 18:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've run through all 18 discs just once. Never felt compelled to do it again, although there are a couple tracks that stuck around that I go back to often.

PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 20:07 GMT 

For those, like me, who could never have afforded the 18CD set and had to settle for the 6 CD now may be a particular fortuitous one to make a google search. Having now heard the complete 18CD set I have to say: nothing is revealed. Yes, you get more takes of songs but no idea of how the released version came about. Perhaps that's the mystery of music. Nice to have; glad I didn't pay the big bucks for it. The Hotel Tapes are great though.

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
For those, like me, who could never have afforded the 18CD set and had to settle for the 6 CD now may be a particular fortuitous one to make a google search. Having now heard the complete 18CD set I have to say: nothing is revealed. Yes, you get more takes of songs but no idea of how the released version came about. Perhaps that's the mystery of music. Nice to have; glad I didn't pay the big bucks for it. The Hotel Tapes are great though.

Not being confrontational here, but are you able to elaborate on this statement of having "...no idea of how the released version came about." after listening to Big Blue?

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 13:48 GMT 

Yes I have heard all eighteen discs now, thanks to the magic of the internet. The simple reason I said, 'nothing is revealed' is you can listen to x amount of versions of (insert your own song title) and they don't really give any indication of how the released version came about. I'm probably not explaining this very well but listen to say 'Memphis Blues Again' as an example. There's some interesting versions but there doesn't be a linear progression. So one take you get this slowed down version, a take or two later it has become the released version. So what I'm trying to say is even with all the released takes etc the listener is no closer to solving the mystery of where the final versions came from. Having listened through all 18 discs I would also say there is a hell of a lot of inconsequential stuff too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next