Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 07:55 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Cutting Edge
PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 08:14 GMT 

I finally got the "Collectors edition" and I'm sort of obsessing over "She's your lover now Take 10/11 Rehearsal" and Dylan giving the Band the whatfor after a false start.

"It's not together, man. Just play it together. Just make it all together! You don't have to play anything fancy or nothing, just together. Okay? Let's just put up one more together. ...Do you need your earphones to hear it?
Unknown band member: It's different every time..."

Great insight into the session. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 10:39 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I finally got the "Collectors edition" and I'm sort of obsessing over "She's your lover now Take 10/11 Rehearsal" and Dylan giving the Band the whatfor after a false start.

"It's not together, man. Just play it together. Just make it all together! You don't have to play anything fancy or nothing, just together. Okay? Let's just put up one more together. ...Do you need your earphones to hear it?
Unknown band member: It's different every time..."

Great insight into the session. :lol:

Yes, yes, yes.
That and many more.
Enlightening flashes on Bob; good and bad at work; marvellous epiphanies of a great mind fighting with his genius and his limits.
Fantastic.

My favourite remains *Love Minus Zero Insert*.
Funny and beautiful.

*I told you when I was out there.....in stentorian tones...*
:lol:
I listen to it continuously as if it were a real completed song.
:)

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 13:54 GMT 

what they actually play for the insert is pretty beautiful too, i like that take

glad to see this thread revived. ive been enjoying the 2 disc set a lot more than i thought i would, glad to have it.
the take they chose for LARS is pretty cool, i think the piano playing might even be better than the original.

ive also been appreciating Tom Wilson saying "that's nutty man" at the end of I'll Keep It With Mine, which wasnt on the version that's been around since Biograph at least if not before.

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 14:40 GMT 

Im still obsessed with this, by far the most impressive release of the series for me. We have been truly spoiled these last few year, except for the hole in most pockets.

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 14:47 GMT 

I believe it was circulating before TCE, but the instrumental takes of I'll Keep It With Mine from the BoB sessions are amazing to me. I really can't imagine what that song would have been with Bob added in, but it would have been incredible.

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 17:22 GMT 

friend wrote:
glad to see this thread revived. ive been enjoying the 2 disc set a lot more than i thought i would, glad to have it.

same here.
hours of pure rage and blessed fury.
inspiring and inspired.
beautiful.

friend wrote:
ive also been appreciating Tom Wilson saying "that's nutty man" at the end of I'll Keep It With Mine, which wasnt on the version that's been around since Biograph at least if not before.

Yes!
:lol:

And what about:
*Bob!!! The tempo is too fast to squeeze in all the words!!!
(at the beginning of one of *on the road again* takes)
Too funny!!!

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 17:30 GMT 

^yeah, gotta wonder what Wilson was thinking there haha, considering how Bob was already acting before that.

i really like that alternate version of On the Road Again (take 1) on the 2 disc. completely different feel from the album and sounds great. ive always thought On the Road Again sounded pretty similar to Outlaw Blues, so it's nice to hear it done a lot differently.

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 17:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

The rolling, almost Spanish, guitar line on the instrumental Keep It With Mine is hypnotic and beautiful, and so exquisitely played - this release give and gives - those who moan about it simply haven't explored the enormity of it yet, which is understandable - I'm still finding something new and fantastic every time, and I anticipate that lasting for quite some time to come - I mean, c'mon, I still get that from the albums themselves!

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 18:07 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
The rolling, almost Spanish, guitar line on the instrumental Keep It With Mine is hypnotic and beautiful, and so exquisitely played - this release give and gives - those who moan about it simply haven't explored the enormity of it yet, which is understandable - I'm still finding something new and fantastic every time, and I anticipate that lasting for quite some time to come - I mean, c'mon, I still get that from the albums themselves!
agreed. well either that or they are UP :P

PostPosted: Tue May 10th, 2016, 04:26 GMT 

I'm looking for lowgen's post in which he expertly assesses the tapes in the Live download. it's gotta be here somewhere but I can't find it. Did anyone bookmark it?

PostPosted: Tue May 10th, 2016, 06:47 GMT 

Richard--W wrote:
I'm looking for lowgen's post in which he expertly assesses the tapes in the Live download. it's gotta be here somewhere but I can't find it. Did anyone bookmark it?

Maybe you're looking for this thread:
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86120

PostPosted: Tue May 10th, 2016, 23:30 GMT 

Many thanks, WantedMan2.

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 10:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

Glad this was released!!!

Going back to Cutting Edge, The Basements, & Another Self have become what salvation must be like after awhile during this Fallen Shadows phase.

Looking forward to the next Bootleg Series!

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 13:42 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Glad this was released!!!

Going back to Cutting Edge, The Basements, & Another Self have become what salvation must be like after awhile during this Fallen Shadows phase.

Looking forward to the next Bootleg Series!

yes.

(not to mention the quantity of new artists we've been allowed to discover, thanks to this hiatus...)
:D

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 23:00 GMT 

Too much filler. Should have stepped into 1967. Didn't he record an album that wasn't released or an alternate JWH? Blood over I80? :twisted:

Not sure why we needed so many takes with channels muted or 50 takes of Sooner or Later and LARS.

PostPosted: Mon May 23rd, 2016, 07:18 GMT 

We needed all of them, and we got em. Im still finding new things on this series.

PostPosted: Mon May 23rd, 2016, 07:38 GMT 

Me too. Paused for weeks, listened again and was surprised, how much I could find, that it sounded different here and there as if it would have continued.

PostPosted: Mon May 23rd, 2016, 08:08 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Too much filler. Should have stepped into 1967. Didn't he record an album that wasn't released or an alternate JWH? Blood over I80? :twisted:

Not sure why we needed so many takes with channels muted or 50 takes of Sooner or Later and LARS.

nothing we *need*, actually.

But, to me, it's been a pleasant and enlightening listen.
Something I've found vital during this SIC (Sinatra Induced Coma) period.

Obviously I'm not listening anymore to all those 18 records (i've made a personal *edit*).
And I'm looking forward to the first Dylan album after Tempest, of course.

PostPosted: Tue May 24th, 2016, 00:08 GMT 

Which take of Tombstone Blues features the Chambers Brothers? Is it on the 6 or 18 disc set? I thought there was also a take with a harmonica on it, but I can't remember.

PostPosted: Tue May 24th, 2016, 06:06 GMT 
Mercury Member

slimharpo wrote:
Which take of Tombstone Blues features the Chambers Brothers? Is it on the 6 or 18 disc set? I thought there was also a take with a harmonica on it, but I can't remember.

It made it's way onto the Michael Bloomfield boxset in 2012 first. That's where to find it in the context of a properly thought-through selection of tracks

PostPosted: Tue May 24th, 2016, 08:04 GMT 

The harmonica take or the chambers brothers take? never did manage to get the bloomfield box set, just cutting edge.

PostPosted: Tue May 24th, 2016, 17:53 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
The harmonica take or the chambers brothers take? never did manage to get the bloomfield box set, just cutting edge.

The Chambers Brothers take is on the Bloomfield set. But it must be on The Cutting Edge too, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 24th, 2016, 18:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

Criminally the mono mix was left Crawling on the cutting room floor along with the best of the Keep you with mine instrumentals and the other revelatory Bloomfield boxset track: LARS with all the instruments but no vocal and two seconds of great studio celebration at the end
The chambers brothers tombstone on Cutting edge is disc 8 track 7 and is stereo but slightly edited. The unedited mono mix is found elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue May 24th, 2016, 19:11 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
Criminally the mono mix was left Crawling on the cutting room floor along with the best of the Keep you with mine instrumentals and the other revelatory Bloomfield boxset track: LARS with all the instruments but no vocal and two seconds of great studio celebration at the end
The chambers brothers tombstone on Cutting edge is disc 8 track 7 and is stereo but slightly edited. The unedited mono mix is found elsewhere.

A beauty.
I'd forgotten.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 25th, 2016, 07:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

dylanswife wrote:

Two reasons - completism and copyright.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next