Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 01:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 Post subject: Re: The Cutting Edge
PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 14:34 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
Yes I have heard all eighteen discs now, thanks to the magic of the internet. The simple reason I said, 'nothing is revealed' is you can listen to x amount of versions of (insert your own song title) and they don't really give any indication of how the released version came about. I'm probably not explaining this very well but listen to say 'Memphis Blues Again' as an example. There's some interesting versions but there doesn't be a linear progression. So one take you get this slowed down version, a take or two later it has become the released version. So what I'm trying to say is even with all the released takes etc the listener is no closer to solving the mystery of where the final versions came from. Having listened through all 18 discs I would also say there is a hell of a lot of inconsequential stuff too.

There isn't any mistery I think, in most cases he seemed to have pretty clear what he was looking for from the first take. In some others, it takes a lot to laugh, visions, desolation row... The final version came from, I guess, from Dylan talking to the musicians before they start to record, and from Dylan re-writing some lines of the songs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40