Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 17:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 22:01 GMT 

man in the moon wrote:

Shalom & Boker tov. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It wasn't in concert and, like his face, could have been CGI'd in later but he plays or at least mimes playing the guitar in last years Chrysler add. Does that count?

I have watched this innumerable times since 2014. I am not sure. In private, he will sit and play with a guitar in his lap for a few minutes, but a concert performance requires far more extended playing (fret positions, etc.). It is possible the Chrysler advertisement is 'playing around'. Who knows? I am interested in the performative appearances. חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 23:19 GMT 

[quote="Foggy"?[/quote]

1986? In 1989 I saw him play solo acoustic, and I'd say he did regularly until 1992.[/quote]

Just Bob and his guitar?

Any time I saw him on the NET he was accompanied by either a second guitarist such as GE Smith or double bass/light percussion etc.[/quote]
again, as i stated above: bad mergentheim, june 91, bob alone without g.e. playing barbara allen, after that g.e. joined in.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 23:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yeah, I think by '99 the acoustic portion included band members too.
But Bob was definitely playing acoustic.
Hazy memories of the tour with that woman from 10,000 Maniacs...
Good shows...

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 00:40 GMT 

Shalom & Erev tov...Shabtai/Bob played his acoustic Gibson on 'Blowin' in the Wind', the encore to his 22 November 2002 concert in Fairfax, Virginia, George Mason University Patriot Center, I have been informed. חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 01:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

stephanpickering wrote:
Shalom & Erev tov...Shabtai/Bob played his acoustic Gibson on 'Blowin' in the Wind', the encore to his 22 November 2002 concert in Fairfax, Virginia, George Mason University Patriot Center, I have been informed. חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם

Yes and, according to boblinks.com, he was also on acoustic guitar during 4th Street, Shelter and Neil Young's Old Man that show.
Plus this bizarre event according to Trevor Hinson in boblinks reviews of that same show:

I will leave the blow-by-blow song analysis to other
RMD writers, but I gotta say that the absolute
highlight of the show was "Summer Days." It usually
is at every show, it gets everybody on their feet,
but tonight was truly special. Towards the end of
the jam, Tony laid on the floor and basically had
the big upright bass almost on top of him, and Bob
was just kinda standing there jamming in his own
world, but he turned back and saw Tony, and Bob
got down on his knees and almost laid right next
to Tony, and then Charlie and Larry got down as
well. And they all just laid there on the stage
for a while and kept jamming. It was the funniest
thing I have ever seen at a Dylan show, and the crowd
responded with thunderous applause. The entire band
was laughing and it was a perfect way to end the main set
of the last show of this great tour, and of this
year I guess. I was SO GLAD to be there.

-Trevor Hinson

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 04:16 GMT 

stephanpickering wrote:
Shalom & Boker tov...

This is my current information:

I find no documented evidence of him concert playing acoustic guitar 2002-2008. In January 2009, he played 'Do Re Mi' and 'Vigilante Man' on his Gibson at Malibu's Performing Arts Center (Ry Cooder on electric guitar, Van Dykes Park on piano). On 9 February 2010, at The White House, he played his Gibson with 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.

The last documented concert performance using an electric guitar was 9 November 2012 at Chicago's United Center, 'Sweet Home Chicago'.

Any corrections will be appreciated.

As has previously been stated he played an acoustic guitar and sang with Elvis Costello on Tears of Rage on their 2007 tour (a quick check says the date was 10-22-07 in St. Louis), which is also the closest Bob has had to a solo acoustic performance since 1992.

(And in addition to that, I believe some people here have talked about at least one occasion between 2003 and 2007 where he picked up the acoustic guitar on stage and played a couple of notes, before putting it down again.)

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 10:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

graric wrote:

(And in addition to that, I believe some people here have talked about at least one occasion between 2003 and 2007 where he picked up the acoustic guitar on stage and played a couple of notes, before putting it down again.)

Love the nitty gritty stuff.
Sometime between '03 and '07 he might have picked up an acoustic and played a couple of notes!
We are freakin' nuts around here!
You gotta put that in your book, Boker Tov, with thanks to Graric!

Last edited by Still Go Barefoot on Fri February 20th, 2015, 10:32 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 10:31 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
graric wrote:

Love the nitty gritty stuff.
Sometime between '03 and '07 he might have picked up an acoustic and played a couple of notes!
We are freakin' nuts around here!
You gotta put that in your book, Boker Tov!

this makes my day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 11:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Definitely. :P

I know he did play a few notes on acoustic in Barcelona '04 (behind the keyboard, no less).... because I was there. There's a photo of it, but I can't locate it right now.

PostPosted: Fri February 20th, 2015, 11:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

graric wrote:

At the NOLA Jazz Festival, April 26, 2003, Bob picked up an acoustic for Don't Think Twice, Its All Right and then put it back. He returned to the keyboard about half way through the first verse and had been (apparently) singing off mic the whole time because the first words you hear are from the middle of the verse.

That show, by the way, is a Must Have... Dickie Landry sat in with the band on saxophone and it is simply beautiful in every imaginable way. But that is a subject for a different thread...

On with the discussions concerning Bob's guitar playing....

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 01:04 GMT 

stephanpickering wrote:
Shalom & Boker tov, gibson...the Royal Albert Hall concert was 2013 not 2012, and my research is based on Bjorner.com, whose detailed set listings gives 'Things Have Changed' as opening that concert, with Dylan on guitar. He did play acoustic guitar on 'Things Have Changed' during the summer 2013 Americanarama Festival of Music Tour, presumably because it is chord-simple, not necessitating manual dexterity. I first became of his crippling arthritis when, during the Dylan/Petty tour, he was often wearing braces on both hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT
stephanpickering47@gmail.com

IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering (23 January
1949 -- 24 August 2008)
IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva: davening in the musematic dark

Crippling arthritis seems an exaggeration. He still plays piano, so his hands must be somewhat flexible.

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 03:38 GMT 

Shalom & Erev tov, Josemesa...Thank you for writing. I suggest you do some serious reading on arthritis and its manifestations. There is a difference between non-intricate piano playing, and the dexterity required in using a guitar. You are quite mistaken. Stephan Pickering/Chofetz Chayim benAvraham

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 03:50 GMT 

Shalom & Erev tov...
26 April 2003...New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival...acoustic guitar on 'Cold Iron Bound'...partial 1st verse acoustic guitar attempt of 'Don't Think Twice'
7 July 2004, Poble Espanyol, Barcelona, Spain, partial acoustic guitar attempt of 'All Along the Watchtower'
Stephan Pickering/Chofetz Chayim benAvraham

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 04:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Where are you all seeing info that Bob played acoustic guitar at the 2006 N.O. Jazz Fest?
I saw him play there and (I could be wrong) but I could almost swear that it was
the first Dylan show i've been to where he didn't play guitar.

What i definitely do remember from that Jazz Fest is that Bob (along with Springsteen)
was one of the first headliners to sign up for the Fest that year, when we weren't even
sure that we would have a Jazz Fest in 2006, only a few months after the hurricane.
- And Bob graciously gave up what would normally have been his spot .... the closing act
of the first day of Jazz Fest to Dr. John, a local. 8)

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 04:50 GMT 

Shalom & Erev tov, Queen Anne...Your observations are appreciated, but note the correct data for the acoustic guitar is 26 April 2003, which I have posted here. You are quite correct that at the 28 April 2006 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, he did not play any guitar.

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 05:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ Oops. My eyes saw 2003, but somehow my brain was seeing 2006. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 10:43 GMT 

May 4 2003, Bob plays Electric guitar on 5 songs; Drifters Escape, Cold Irons Bound, Just Like a Woman, Love Sick and You Ain't Goin Nowhere, and picked up an acoustic on It Aint Me Babe, which I believe is the final rendition of the true old acoustic arrangement, with the song being rearranged completely with Bob on the piano in the summer tour of 2003.

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 11:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

You know the idiot at the San Fran Conference in 65 who has "thought deeply" about Bobs Triumph T-Shirt? Look at the pic of Steve taking up Bobs valuable time in 74...... SAME GUY????? WHO CARES when or why Blobby ceased plucking dem ol strings. Even Segovia had to call it a day, and Bob is no Segovia. If Stevie baby isn't gonna share this info then i assume it wont be in the book in which case the knowledge is essentially pointless except in a "I know something you don't know" kinda way.... that sounds about right. Give that man a pretzel and see if he can tie his shoes like
that

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 12:38 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
the knowledge is essentially pointless except in a "I know something you don't know" kinda way.... that sounds about right.

stephanpickering wrote:
this is not a major biographical problem for my chapter-in-progress on his poetics, but is a question I pose for chronological clarification.

So what's wrong with that, or should we get back to discussing hair dye?

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 17:09 GMT 

As of this a.m., the chronology for my chapter-in-progress is:

last documented acoustic guitar performances

26 April 2003...New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival...acoustic guitar on 'Cold Iron Bound'...partial 1st verse acoustic guitar attempt of 'Don't Think Twice'
I have found no documented evidence of any further acoustic guitar performances in 2003
7 July 2004, Poble Espanyol, Barcelona, Spain, partial acoustic guitar attempt of 'All Along the Watchtower'
22 October 2007, St. Louis Fox Theatre, acoustic guitar, 'Tears of Rage' (with Elvis Costello)
January 2009, Malibu Performing Arts Center, acoustic guitar, 'Do Re Mi', 'Vigilante Man' (both with Ry Cooder on electric guitar & Van Dyke Parks on piano)
9 February 2010, The White House, acoustic guitar, 'The Times They Are A-Changin''

last documented electric guitar performance

9 November 2012, United Center Chicago, 'Sweet Home Chicago'
Olof Bjorner's set listings for the remainder of 2012 are unclear as to the possibility of further electric guitar use, and he has not answered my queries

Any further data will be appreciated and acknowledged. Stephan Pickering/Chofetz Chayim benAvraham

PostPosted: Sat February 21st, 2015, 17:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

stephanpickering wrote:
Shalom & Erev tov...

I was not aware of this... (or had forgotten?) Thanks for the head's up.

This is one of my favorite Cold irons Bound performances, too.

PostPosted: Sun February 22nd, 2015, 01:50 GMT 

Actually this is an interesting question, I'll have to look up that Cold Irons Bound performance. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun October 15th, 2017, 12:49 GMT 

Atlantic City 2003 - Last acoustic performance.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 15:06 GMT 

https://youtu.be/hSchUe_w2Ww

Bob on acoustic guitar, May 4th 2003 at West Palm Beach, Florida

https://youtu.be/l-1ZT_OCymI

Drifter's Escape with Bob on electric from the same concert.

PostPosted: Wed October 18th, 2017, 07:30 GMT 

So after looking through the setlists, I think I have made a definitive list of Bob's acoustic performances, and the most recent time each song was performed by Bob on an acoustic guitar.

The Times They Are A-Changin - White House 2010 (last regular acoustic performance Nov 22 2002)
Do Re Mi - Woody Guthrie Tribute 2009
Tears Of Rage - Elvis Costello Duet 2007
All Along The Watchtower - "a few notes" - July 7 2004
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (with the Waifs) - May 13 2003 (last regular performance 5 Nov 2002 early show)
Don't Think Twice It's All Right - May 10 2003
One Too Many Mornings - May 8 2003
It Ain't Me Babe - May 4 2003
Desolation Row - Feb 26 2003
Mr Tambourine Man - Feb 26 2003
Girl Of The North Country - Feb 26 2003
Blowin In The Wind - Feb 26 2003
My Back Pages - Feb 24 2003
Masters Of War - Feb 22 2003
Forever Young - Feb 22 2003
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Feb 21 2003
Boots Of Spanish Leather - Feb 18 2003