Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 03:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 10:26 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
jalov--maybe it's a good time for both you guys to make your peace, or, at least, forget and move on . . .?

Why? Why should someone spouting psuedo-religious nonsense on a Dylan music discussion board be allowed to throw around such silliness as "antisemitic" when someone asks what his posts mean? As I Jewish man I'm sorry, I take slight offense to his ramblings. So if I call you a Nazi for suggesting we make peace, would you just let me be? Letting him be is basically why he has infiltrated ever thread on here, again, with his nonsensical and unreadable garbage. When I asked him to clarify what made me antisemitic, he copied and pasted a Willie Nelson quote about Lance Armstrong. I can't make up this level of lunacy, and seemingly others have grown tired of this manufactured and silly Expecting Rain character he has created.

And as far as forgetting and moving on....its impossible as he either posts multiple threads a day or contributes to every active discussion, although i use the word "contributes" in the loosest way possible.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 10:36 GMT 

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2011/03/15 ... ing-twice/

Read through the comments and maybe 4 comments in we are once again treated to the same religious posturing and name calling and the articles author eventually asks "Mr Pickering" to please leave his name calling and finger pointing elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 15:58 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
I also wonder when was the last completely solo-acoustic. 1986?

he def. played a solo accoustic "Barbara allen" june 22 1991 in bad Mergentheim/Germany.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 16:09 GMT 

stephanpickering wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
Why doesn't someone who knows the inside of Dylan's office as well as details of his medical condition just ask the man?

this is 2015...and when I am next able, I probably shall...but I definitely shall not be sharing it with you...this is not a major biographical problem for my chapter-in-progress on his poetics, but is a question I pose for chronological clarification.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT
stephanpickering47@gmail.com

IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering (23 January
1949 -- 24 August 2008)
IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva: davening in the musematic dark
well i haven't visited the Forum for some time: reading this tells me why.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 17:35 GMT 

I figured his decrease in guitar playing was due to the "mangled hand" he talks about in Chronicles -- altho I guess arthritis seems to be more of an issue with injuries. One hears him "stumble" on the piano as well -- tho not as much lately, it seems. Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements work spectacularly well. My mom was on heavy duty arthritis medication and was able to go completely off arthritis medication (for severe symptoms) taking this supplement. You have to take it for a while (a month maybe - probably varies, I have a slow metabolism) before you feel its effects. It actually helps to rebuild tissue?cartilege? in the joints. Relief from discomfort and continued flexibility also lasts awhile if you stop taking them (or run out).

I know my post does not answer your original question, Stephan -- but, hopefully its more informative than you and others going back and forth about insults in each others' posts. I can understand why you wldn't share that information here (about Bob's medical condition) if Bob or his people shared it with you. I rather thought he addressed the issue in Chronicles -- but I guess inquiring minds always feel the need to know the exact details. Still, its HIS business to share or not. Hope you find your exact date? Besides concerts -- he has played guitar in some miscellaneous performances (like, I think? w/Springsteen within the window that people are giving).

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 17:48 GMT 

You are good friends with Bob. You've hung out and toured with him. As a scholar why not just ask him? Being a scholar you should know any information gathered here and used for your personal benefit (ex: writing an amazing book) would have to be credited and paid for I'm sure. As a scholar im sure you know this, and as a scholar I'm also sure you can use a feature on the internet known as "Google search" to find what you seek.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 18:05 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov, blue et al. I appreciate the replies. Even spending sometime perusing Bjorner's lists, I am unable to pinpoint when the 2002 acoutic playing stopped. Bjorner's extensive documentation, in fact, lists him playing guitar up to 28 November 2013 ('Things Have Changed' Royal Albert Hall), but gibson was there, and there was no guitar playing. I have asked Bjorner for claarification. And, yes, Bob/Shabtai has briefly discussed this in Chronicles, and I am under no obligation, as you point out, to engage in show-and-tell. I am aware of the extent of the injuries (he has also worn a back-brace for years). When one sits and talks with Bob/Shabtai, there are other subjects to be discussed related to poetics vs. the Pee Wee Herman screeds I see here.

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

801 Brookhaven Drive # A
Brookings, Oregon 97415-8134

IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering (23 January
1949 -- 24 August 2008)
IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva: davening in the musematic dark

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 18:11 GMT 

Bonn, Germany
July 04, 2012:
No sign of this long rumored arthritis here. Beautiful playing covering the whole fret-board. Particularly nice from around 3:30 on as Dylan really gets involved. The little coda at the end is exquisite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDIqLnsLkSg

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 18:26 GMT 

had no idea he was playing electric guitar on stage that recently. thanks for the video patford.
that is just an excellent performance.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 18:40 GMT 

Bob/Shabtai played a solo acoustic set for me last night. I'm under no obligation to share this info with any of you, as we passed the time speaking of Marvel Comics, colors of pugs, and licorice. I can report he did have shoes on and a hat. A most magnificent hat. We spoke at length also of an upcoming tour of peoples living rooms playing nothing but a harpsichord. Again, I'm under no obligation to share any more details of this tour, as I'm writing about it for my 19th self published book, "A Night in Shining Armor".

God Bless!

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 18:49 GMT 

I wonder how conscious Dylan is of his guitar playing on a theoretical level. he certainly knows his way around a keyboard, I wonder what he's thinking about when he improvises on guitar.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 18:53 GMT 

jalov wrote:
You are good friends with Bob. You've hung out and toured with him. As a scholar why not just ask him? Being a scholar you should know any information gathered here and used for your personal benefit (ex: writing an amazing book) would have to be credited and paid for I'm sure. As a scholar im sure you know this, and as a scholar I'm also sure you can use a feature on the internet known as "Google search" to find what you seek.

Shalom & Boker tov, jalov...as a post-Auschwitz Yehu'di, I do not write/study for 'personal benefit' strictly speaking. Each day, I study Talmud/Torah because it is necessary for my soul's survival. My scholarly focus since 1980 has been principally research on kabbalahs, i.e. pre-5th century CE, including the Hekhalot/Merkavah literatures, 13th century CE Kabbalah, and the Chassidus of R. Nachman of Braslav.

I have kept abreast of all aspects of Shabtai/Bob's writings, but have opted to maintain a working chapter-in-progress vs. publishing as I have done in the past. I am not yet ready to publish the Shabtai/Zisel chapter, but have, in other venues, published excerpts from chapters on kabbalahs. His personal activities I do not write about unless, as is the case of his continuing love of Chabad and the teachings of the Rebbe which he shares with his daughter and son-in-law, these are directly confluent with his writings. The 1978/1979 betraying apostasy, which I witnessed (along with many others), is not avoided in the chapter-in-progress.

However, I do keep a record of those who offer assistance with data, and they will be thanked on acknowledgements page(s). 'Google search' in this instance is not especially helpful, which is why I have, for some years, been indebted to Olof Bjorner's indefatigable archiving of performance data (his 'Words Fill My Head', while incomplete, I recommend highly).

And. I hereby offer to you my apologies if my choice of words-in-replies have been abrasive with you. One does not, when one is in the situation of doing so, probe Shabtai/Bob about non-poetry/music subjects. I posed the question(s) about the dates of his acoustic/electric guitar performances so that I can weave this into my canvas.

Kol tuv / be well. Stephan
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:00 GMT 

patford wrote:
Bonn, Germany
July 04, 2012:
No sign of this long rumored arthritis here. Beautiful playing covering the whole fret-board. Particularly nice from around 3:30 on as Dylan really gets involved. The little coda at the end is exquisite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDIqLnsLkSg

Shalom & Boker tov, patford...this predates the last date of 10 October 2012 at Calgary's Scotiabank Saddledome ('Simple Twist of Fate'). I have severe arthritis centred around my right patella, but can ambulate, and Shabtai/Bob's arthritis is not a 'rumor', but a malady. I believe the 'sign' you are looking for is not always so simplistic.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

A case of Bob not offering straight answers.......................

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:39 GMT 

Foggy wrote:

1986? In 1989 I saw him play solo acoustic, and I'd say he did regularly until 1992.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:41 GMT 

blue wrote:
Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements work spectacularly well. My mom was on heavy duty arthritis medication and was able to go completely off arthritis medication (for severe symptoms) taking this supplement. You have to take it for a while (a month maybe - probably varies, I have a slow metabolism) before you feel its effects. It actually helps to rebuild tissue?cartilege? in the joints. Relief from discomfort and continued flexibility also lasts awhile if you stop taking them (or run out).

I've heard good things about Glucosamine/Chondroitin. Ginger root is another effective way to treat the swelling and pain of arthritis. Because it has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, it also works well for nausea, sore throat and sinus problems. Ginger root has long been used in China and India for cooking and medicinal purposes. Yet Western medicine tends to basically ignore how it might benefit those with mild to moderate cases of arthritis, or enhance the effectiveness of NSAID's for people who require aggressive treatment.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:42 GMT 

I don't know, but I always found very strange that arthritis thing. I don't think it's arthritis the problem. Might be consequences of his injury that he talks about in Chronicles or, even, problems at his back, but I don't think he will sit as he does at piano if it was so.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:50 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov...

This is my current information:

I find no documented evidence of him concert playing acoustic guitar 2002-2008. In January 2009, he played 'Do Re Mi' and 'Vigilante Man' on his Gibson at Malibu's Performing Arts Center (Ry Cooder on electric guitar, Van Dykes Park on piano). On 9 February 2010, at The White House, he played his Gibson with 'The Times They Are A-Changin'.

The last documented concert performance using an electric guitar was 9 November 2012 at Chicago's United Center, 'Sweet Home Chicago'.

Any corrections will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 19:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

He played acoustic guitar through the summer of 2002, including that year's Newport Folk Festival. There are lots of photos of that performance. On the fall tour, the set up change to mostly keyboard. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 20:06 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
He played acoustic guitar through the summer of 2002, including that year's Newport Folk Festival. There are lots of photos of that performance. On the fall tour, the set up change to mostly keyboard. You're welcome.

Correction noted. 3 August 2002 Newport Folk Festival

1. Roving Gambler (acoustic)
2. The Times They Are A-Changin’ (acoustic) (Larry on cittern)
3. Desolation Row (acoustic)
4. Mama, You Been On My Mind (acoustic) (Bob on harp)
5. Down In The Flood
6. Positively 4th Street
7. Subterranean Homesick Blues (Larry on slide guitar)
8. Cry A While (Larry on slide guitar)
9. Girl Of The North Country (acoustic) (Bob on harp)
10. Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic) (Bob on harp)
11. Mr. Tambourine Man (acoustic)
12. Summer Days (Tony on standup bass)
13. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere (Larry on pedal steel)
14. The Wicked Messenger (Bob on harp)
15. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat

(encore)
16. Not Fade Away
17. Like A Rolling Stone
18. Blowin’ In The Wind (acoustic)
19. All Along The Watchtower

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 20:41 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
Foggy wrote:

1986? In 1989 I saw him play solo acoustic, and I'd say he did regularly until 1992.

Just Bob and his guitar?

Any time I saw him on the NET he was accompanied by either a second guitarist such as GE Smith or double bass/light percussion etc.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 20:54 GMT 

blue wrote:
I figured his decrease in guitar playing was due to the "mangled hand" he talks about in Chronicles -- altho I guess arthritis seems to be more of an issue with injuries. One hears him "stumble" on the piano as well -- tho not as much lately, it seems. Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements work spectacularly well. My mom was on heavy duty arthritis medication and was able to go completely off arthritis medication (for severe symptoms) taking this supplement. You have to take it for a while (a month maybe - probably varies, I have a slow metabolism) before you feel its effects. It actually helps to rebuild tissue?cartilege? in the joints. Relief from discomfort and continued flexibility also lasts awhile if you stop taking them (or run out).

I know my post does not answer your original question, Stephan -- but, hopefully its more informative than you and others going back and forth about insults in each others' posts. I can understand why you wldn't share that information here (about Bob's medical condition) if Bob or his people shared it with you. I rather thought he addressed the issue in Chronicles -- but I guess inquiring minds always feel the need to know the exact details. Still, its HIS business to share or not. Hope you find your exact date? Besides concerts -- he has played guitar in some miscellaneous performances (like, I think? w/Springsteen within the window that people are giving).

The hand injury in Chronicles is from Hemingway's Snows of Kilimanjaro.
Don't be fooled by typists.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 20:58 GMT 

stephanpickering wrote:

And. I hereby offer to you my apologies if my choice of words-in-replies have been abrasive with you.

Really happy to see this to jalov finally from Stephan.

It wasn't in concert and, like his face, could have been CGI'd in later but he plays or at least mimes playing the guitar in last years Chrysler add. Does that count?

http://youtu.be/KlSn8Isv-3M

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 21:24 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
I don't know, but I always found very strange that arthritis thing. I don't think it's arthritis the problem. Might be consequences of his injury that he talks about in Chronicles or, even, problems at his back, but I don't think he will sit as he does at piano if it was so.

It does add up. The finger positions for guitar as opposed to piano require different levels of flexibility. Guitar requires a great deal more bending of the fingers to play notes/chords. While on piano, your fingers are more or less in a straighter position than on guitar, if that makes any sense.
In any case, arthritis in your finger joints make it harder to do anything that requires you to bend your fingers, like to make a fist, hold a tennis racquet, or yes, to play guitar. Your finger joints essentially stiffen and swell up and limit range of motion. Playing a piano is a lot easier on the finger joints, because you generally strike the keys with your fingers more straightened, rather than bent. Not saying this proves he has arthritis and can't play guitar much any more. But it makes sense that if he was suffering from it, that he would still be able to play the keys.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 21:28 GMT 

More on ginger root if anyone is interested. . .

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/ginger