Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 02:06 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:05 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov...does anyone have the precise date for which Shabtai/Bob stopped playing guitar at concerts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
STEPHAN PICKERING / חפץ ח"ם בן אברהם
Torah אלילה Yehu'di Apikores / Philologia Kabbalistica Speculativa Researcher
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

THE KABBALAH FRACTALS PROJECT

801 Brookhaven Drive # A
Brookings, Oregon 97415-8134
stephanpickering47@gmail.com

IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering (23 January
1949 -- 24 August 2008)
IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva: davening in the musematic dark

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:07 GMT 

Is some significance to be ascribed to the date? It featured on an off until the last date of the 2012 autumn tour, I think.

http://www.bjorner.com/DSN34330%20-%202 ... m#DSN34570 Sweet Home Chicago instrumental.

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

My brief research suggests that it was 10th of October 2012 in Calgary.

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:22 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov...my best information is 28 November 2013, 'Things Have Changed', Royal Albert Hall, London. He never played the guitar in 2014. Throughout 2013, his guitar playing began to quickly diminish (during several concerts, he was not using a guitar), his right hand noticeably displaying shocking levels of inflexibility.

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

IN PROGRESS: Dialects of a synaesthetic heart: poetics for Faline Pickering (23 January
1949 -- 24 August 2008)
IN PROGRESS: Shabtai Zisel benAvraham v'Rachel Riva: davening in the musematic dark

Last edited by stephanpickering on Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:26 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:26 GMT 

I also wonder when was the last completely solo-acoustic. 1986?

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

stephanpickering wrote:
Shalom & Boker tov...my best information is 28 November 2013, 'Things Have Changed', Royal Albert Hall, London. He never played the guitar in 2014. Throughout 2013, his guitar playing began to quickly diminish (during several concerts, he was not using a guitar), his right hand noticeably displaying shocking levels of inflexibility.

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

I was at that show at the royal albert hall, and others on that tour, and he didn't play guitar. To the best of my knowledge, no guitar has been played since that date in 2012, although I feel like some was played on the Americanarama tour in 2013 but I can't find any evidence.

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:44 GMT 

He didn't play the guitar once during 2013....

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:52 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov, gibson...the Royal Albert Hall concert was 2013 not 2012, and my research is based on Bjorner.com, whose detailed set listings gives 'Things Have Changed' as opening that concert, with Dylan on guitar. He did play acoustic guitar on 'Things Have Changed' during the summer 2013 Americanarama Festival of Music Tour, presumably because it is chord-simple, not necessitating manual dexterity. I first became of his crippling arthritis when, during the Dylan/Petty tour, he was often wearing braces on both hands.

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:53 GMT 

stephanpickering wrote:
Shalom & Boker tov, gibson...the Royal Albert Hall concert was 2013 not 2012, and my research is based on Bjorner.com, whose detailed set listings gives 'Things Have Changed' as opening that concert, with Dylan on guitar. He did play acoustic guitar on 'Things Have Changed' during the summer 2013 Americanarama Festival of Music Tour, presumably because it is chord-simple, not necessitating manual dexterity. I first became of his crippling arthritis when, during the Dylan/Petty tour, he was often wearing braces on both hands.

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

None of this is true, apart from the RAH being in 2013. The whole arthritis thing has never been proven, it's all speculation.

PostPosted: Wed February 18th, 2015, 23:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

stephanpickering wrote:

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

Yes, I know it was 2013, as I've said I was there. No guitar. He hasn't played acoustic guitar since 2002 (apart from a one off with Elvis Costello in 2007, Do Re Mi in 2009 and the white house thing in 2009.) Last electric guitar was 2012.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:05 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov, gibson...I appreciate the correction. If you can provide precise dates for the venues you list, this will be appreciated. His severe arthritis was causing problems so that, in 2006, he had two custom-made LG-1 Gibson acoustics from their Bozeman plant, a guitar smaller in body than even the Gibson J-45, with a spruce top, mahogany sides and back, a truly beautiful instrument which sits in his office.

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

This was the last performance on acoustic guitar - 11 feb 2010 at the White House.

http://www.bjorner.com/DSN31870%20-%202 ... m#DSN31865

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sYIIjS-cQ

Although it's highly likely Dylan suffers from arthiritis or similiar, restricting him from playing guitar, he has always enjoyed smallbody guitars in the past. His famous Gibson Lucas Special was smallbodied, perhaps even smaller than an LG-1. He also played smallbodied Gibsons during the Rolling Thunder Revue.

Also, in the last decade or so there's been a general move amongst guitar players towards smallbody acoustics as musicians have begun to use pickups rather than mics more and more.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:25 GMT 

Maybe your arthritis began the same day he tore his arm open to the bone.
(See Chronicles for the date.)

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:28 GMT 

Gibson, as I assume you're a Gibson fan, you might enjoy the article from a few months ago about the two LG-1 guitars that were custom made for Dylan.

http://njnnetwork.com/2014/12/bob-dylan ... n-bozeman/

Last edited by yopietro on Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:32 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:30 GMT 

Shalom & Boker tov, gibson...during the 1967 sessions (including John Wesley Harding), he favoured small-bodied guitars, during Tour74 telling me he preferred them for maneuverability. He played 'Do Re Mi' and 'Vigilante Man' (unreleased) in January 2009 at the Malibu Performing Arts Center on one of his Gibsons for the film The People Speak, with Ry Cooder on electric and Van Dyke Parks on piano (he played and eunciated with precise and sensitivity). I am assuming by 'Elvis Costello', you mean the the various 2007 dates. The 9 February 2010 White House performance also featured his small-bodied Gibson. I am still most curious about the precise 2012 date when he last played electric guitar. Bjorner.com appears to be in error as to when he last played guitar on stage?

לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

He played electric on one song at the Port Chester show on Sept 4, 2012, if my memory serves me well.

Edit: I've looked it up, and see that he actually played electric on two songs....THC and Tangled. My second show :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71614&hilit=september+4+2012&start=100

Last edited by raging_glory on Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:37 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

yopietro wrote:
Gibson, as I assume you're a Gibson fan, you might enjoy the article from a few months ago about the two LG-1 guitars that were custom made for Dylan.

http://njnnetwork.com/2014/12/bob-dylan ... n-bozeman/

It's actually my name! But as it happens, I am a fan of the guitars - if only I could afford one...

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Why doesn't someone who knows the inside of Dylan's office as well as details of his medical condition just ask the man?

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:39 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
He played electric on one song at the Port Chester show on Sept 4, 2012, if my memory serves me well.

'Things Have Changed' and 'Tangled Up In Blue'.
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 00:42 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Why doesn't someone who knows the inside of Dylan's office as well as details of his medical condition just ask the man?

this is 2015...and when I am next able, I probably shall...but I definitely shall not be sharing it with you...this is not a major biographical problem for my chapter-in-progress on his poetics, but is a question I pose for chronological clarification.
לחיות זמן רב ולשגשג

1949 -- 24 August 2008)

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 01:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

stephanpickering wrote:
I am still most curious about the precise 2012 date when he last played electric guitar.

11/9/12 instrumental

10/10/12 Twist

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 09:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

stephanpickering wrote:
but I definitely shall not be sharing it with you...

You expect others to do your research for you still?

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 09:38 GMT 

stephanpickering wrote:
but I definitely shall not be sharing it with you

Why are you even here?

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 09:49 GMT 

Dylaned wrote:
stephanpickering wrote:
but I definitely shall not be sharing it with you

Why are you even here?

He is here for attention and to troll. He clarified that in another of his rambling and meandering threads when I asked the same question and he called me antisemitic. When I asked for clarification on what makes me, a Jewish man asking what the hell his nonsensical and big word filled posts meant, antisemitic, he stopped replying. Usually I'd let it go and laugh at the silly troll, but to throw around allegation like that is a bit too dangerous for a Dylan music chat board. So as much as he ruins ever single thread with his randomly chosen large words and constant babbling, I'll make sure to point out his trolling when I can.

PostPosted: Thu February 19th, 2015, 10:09 GMT 

jalov--maybe it's a good time for both you guys to make your peace, or, at least, forget and move on . . .?