Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 01:48 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 10:20 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
smoke wrote:
Many have said they record all the shows, I don't know if this is true. I would hope so, there has been some stunning music on the NET.

Do you mean shows of the NET or shows of earlier tours, too?

Regarding the 76 RTR I think I read somewhere (maybe in one of Paul Williams' books, I can't recall it right now) that "they" stopped filming/recording the individual shows after Fort Collins, when "Hard Rain" was in the can. If this is true (and not just a guess) there is the tour's last gig missing. Which is, trara!!!, SLC.

Well, I think it can be safely assumed that the policy isn't the same now as it was back in '76. After all, it's way easier to record now, and Bobby's historical significance has been galvanized by a few decades.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 13:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

eltedioso wrote:
oldfan wrote:

are you serious with that question? money - duh!

I honestly don't know what you mean. Do you think it would be too much more money beyond what's already being spent for the live technical team, that Columbia or Dylan's archive team wouldn't be willing to shell out? I don't believe that to be true. It would be a minimal cost.

Also, why so rude? Don't be rude. We're having a conversation here. "Are you serious with that question?"? Whatever dude.

"money - duh!"

One of the dumber posts I've ever seen here. Like Bob Dylan is short on cash? His total worth is probably half a billion dollars.
Recording equipment is peanuts in his world, and in fact is the key technological device which has made his career! This type of condescending, buffoonery thinking is almost beyond comprehension.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 14:05 GMT 

^
a half billion? recording mixing dubbing costs nothing. no use talking to you.

but please enlighten us why no artist records their shows (when not releasing live trax)? what on earth could be the reason that has nothing to do with money?

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 15:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:
^
a half billion? recording mixing dubbing costs nothing. no use talking to you.

but please enlighten us why no artist records their shows (when not releasing live trax)? what on earth could be the reason that has nothing to do with money?

Again you make these sweeping claims - "no artist records their shows", and I ask you again, what are you basing this on? Are you some industry expert?

And I'm not claiming Bob records all his shows, or that they are studio quality recordings, but to just blurt out, "no they don't record", defies logic and common sense. You are basically saying "one of the most famous recording artists in the history of the world doesn't record his own shows, because he can't afford it!". Anybody home?

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 15:58 GMT 

Pretty much all of Dylan's shows have been recorded since 1975, according to Paul Williams.

I think the release of audience 'field recordings' as the b-sides of singles was a nod to Alan Lomax as well as a tacit acknowledgement of the quality of bootleg recordings of live shows and their benefit in terms of 'spreading the word'.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 16:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

littlemaggie wrote:
Pretty much all of Dylan's shows have been recorded since 1975, according to Paul Williams.

How can this be? Self appointed Bob Dylan worldwide expert oldfan has repeatedly assured us from his lofty perch that this is not true! Why, he even snapped at me - "no use talking to you" for doubting his wide wisdom!

Certainly oldfan has more credibility than Paul Williams, right oldfan?

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 17:58 GMT 

I can say with absolutely certainty that every show is recorded. I am not sure when that initiative started, but I can assure you it happens now and has for at least the last few years.

How do I know? One of my clients' technology platforms is used by a recording engineer for tours in one of Dylan's most heavily toured regions (I won't specify, but you can narrow it down to two continents), and I've talked to him directly about it. They record every show, without a doubt.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 18:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

NiteFog wrote:
I can say with absolutely certainty that every show is recorded. I am not sure when that initiative started, but I can assure you it happens now and has for at least the last few years.

How do I know? One of my clients' technology platforms is used by a recording engineer for tours in one of Dylan's most heavily toured regions (I won't specify, but you can narrow it down to two continents), and I've talked to him directly about it. They record every show, without a doubt.

Thank you.

Well Mr. Snotty condescending oldfan - what do you have to say now? You who knows SO much about "dubbing", "mixing" - all that tricky stuff so foreign to "recording" artists!

And remember folks - "recording artists DO NOT record, they just play music" - it's only a name!

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 18:55 GMT 

yeah he is dead wrong about the recording of shows. and also about the process regarding how the audience recordings used on the website and certain releases are obtained/chosen.

he wouldn't be the first person to make things up to sound informed on the internet, though :)

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 18:56 GMT 

no way no how is every show or anything close to that being recorded…that is what i have to say. and by the way there are are about 1200-1400 reasons per year for not doing so.
has a particular show or a handful of shows over the last 3 years been recorded? - i imagine it is possible but doubtful.

in lieu of trying to prove a negative HERE - …..please, please

please - do tell the motive and the purpose for hypothetically doing so - taping every show for the last several years.

this has become more and more quite the low-brow place to be…no?

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:10 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
no way no how is every show or anything close to that being recorded…that is what i have to say. and by the way there are are about 1200-1400 reasons per year for not doing so.
has a particular show or a handful of shows over the last 3 years been recorded? - i imagine it is possible but doubtful.

please - do tell the motive and the purpose for hypothetically doing so - taping every show for the last several years.

Dude. Are you okay? It seems like there's something wrong with you.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:15 GMT 

oldfan wrote:

Sweet meltdown.

You're incorrect though.

Edited to add: I don't know the motive, or really give a hoot about why. I just know it happens. The technology certainly makes it very easy to accomplish.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:

Why then would there be a computer monitor with Pro Tools running at the soundboard these day?

I think oldfan might need a lie down and a cup of tea...

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:

In having to actually ask that question on this site, my friend, means you don't even deserve an answer.

And as we are so "low-brow" here, I'm sure you'll find a much more receptive crowd for your fantasies over at verygullible.com

And actually, with you around, it's the grapefruit league. TOO easy to hit a home run - but still fun!

Last edited by chrome horse on Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:32 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:30 GMT 

Here's the amusing part, to me anyway - I'm not sure the engineer even knows the purpose of it. We talked about the technology and how he does it.

Say you're a front of house mixer contracted by a band. Your job is to mix the live performance and monitor the multitrack feed into the recording system. I don't even think he knows or cares "why", or puts much thought into anything beyond getting the job done - it's simply his assignment. The content is simply preserved and handed off to the performer and/or his team.

This equipment all lives on the same network today. It's actually amazing how easy it is to bring what was only 5 years very separate architectures together into a single workflow.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

NiteFog wrote:
Here's the amusing part, to me anyway - I'm not sure the engineer even knows the purpose of it. We talked about the technology and how he does it.

Say you're a front of house mixer contracted by a band. Your job is to mix the live performance and monitor the multitrack feed into the recording system. I don't even think he knows or cares "why", or puts much thought into anything beyond getting the job done - it's simply his assignment. The content is simply preserved and handed off to the performer and/or his team.

This equipment all lives on the same network today. It's actually amazing how easy it is to bring what was only 5 years very separate architectures together into a single workflow.

That's right, they pack into laptops what used to cover a whole big table.

And we haven't even mentioned film and video, though much less in use, you KNOW there are some choice things hidden away.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:39 GMT 

NiteFog wrote:

I think that's pretty common! Like I said before, it seems like most acts just record their whole tours now, 'cause it's so easy to do and you might as well. Even if it never gets used for anything, it's an easy decision to make.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 19:45 GMT 

Exactly - it very well could be a "because we can" situation. The technology makes it that easy, and it can be done at a fairly reasonable cost too when you're pushing all these signals over an IT backbone.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 21:01 GMT 

Of course the old fan who said they NEVER record shows just made it up to sound knowledgeable. How in hell would anyone know what they NEVER do?

Same with his narrow perspective comment about money. They might record for performance reviews or for legal reasons or to be able to identify a performance or for something else...

PostPosted: Thu January 22nd, 2015, 08:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

the 1966 world tour was recorded so bob & the hawks could review the performances

Garth Hudson did a bit of taping in 1967

the entire 1978 world tour was recorded from the soundboard. all but a few of these were wiped by "somebody" with a nasty grudge against bob & access to the tapes - sounds like albert to me

bill graham recorded many soundboards for himself which have emerged over the years, recently through wolfgang's vault

the start of the NET in 1988 has a series of great soundboards from the first 20 or so shows - probably recorded for bob to analyse his new stripped down sound

after the glorious 1992 Australian tour (all taped by Michael Krogsgaard with help from bob's crew), Columbia decided to record the two Hawaii shows - bob did his absolute best to make these tapes unlistenable, reverting to a horrible nasal vocal totally absent from the Australian shows. now would bob deliberately hijack these recordings?? yep - no Aloha from Hawaii from bob.

cesar diaz did some taping in 1993 with variable results - appearing as the Righteous To Me mega box set.

all a bit erratic.

I don't think it matters. bob is probably the best documented performer on the planet.

having just gone through all the late 99 Bob & Phil Lesh tour FLAC from the best available sources, I can live with carefully recorded digital audience tapes

don't get hung up about soundboards

PostPosted: Thu January 22nd, 2015, 09:56 GMT 

I'm more interested in when they'll finally release ONE full NET show on the bootleg series than if they records all of 'em...

Recently he's done some of the finest performances of the last decade, it'd be a shame not to put out a live album, with the band playing together so well and trained due to the standard set and all.

PostPosted: Thu January 22nd, 2015, 11:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

DaniArrow wrote:
I'm more interested in when they'll finally release ONE full NET show on the bootleg series than if they records all of 'em...

Recently he's done some of the finest performances of the last decade, it'd be a shame not to put out a live album, with the band playing together so well and trained due to the standard set and all.

I'm living, hoping, and praying for the day that they release The Complete Never Ending Tour Box Set, every show in its entirety, as a part of the Official Bootleg Series.

I hope Sony is charitable on the price. I still have a child in college.

PostPosted: Thu January 22nd, 2015, 19:22 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
littlemaggie wrote:

How can this be? Self appointed Bob Dylan worldwide expert oldfan has repeatedly assured us from his lofty perch that this is not true! Why, he even snapped at me - "no use talking to you" for doubting his wide wisdom!

Certainly oldfan has more credibility than Paul Williams, right oldfan?

ok children - the shows have been recorded by bootleggers! And that is what Paul WIlliams refers to! Is there an iota of common sense here to think otherwise/to read WIlliams otherwise NO!?

And if you only most of you can read - it is in my first or second post here. AGAIN - the vetting by those of the audience and their recordings by a couple of people not on Dylan payroll but who are respected - big time - by Rosen and friends. Just not recorded by Dylan (actually sony/columbia)

I a not trying to show i have knowledge…I DO HAVE THE knowledge - -again read my post about the couple of people who vet the audience/bootleg recordings. I ain't trying to prove that i have knowledge and you guys don't. But it is a fact….and most of it is based on common sense (not found here quite often) and a bit of knowledge I DO have from those i know in the 'Dylan Circle".

Why the juvenile!!!! vitriol coming at me….rather than showing - again - a common sense - sense of what i post….virtually all of you can not help but express the ultimate low-brow/juvenile/non-sensical responses. it is stunning. but for quite a while - these dumb posts by what i would guess are very young and poorly-read members here.

To reiterate - the Paul Williams references - please i beg you..show me where he refers to dylan/sony recording the shows as opposed to his explicit statemtes that most of all the recordings come from the audience. 75-76 recorded by dylan for Renaldo and Clara. 1981 (there was thought of a live album) 1984 just a handful shows he recorded for the live album. None i 1987….very shows in the early 90's (such as supper club)…and yes the soundboards from 1993 (thought of putting out live album by sony)

I would say to you people - THINK - but none of you know how. Deal with it.

And really to make it interesting - let's figure a way to put money on this…..i would like that…..and i an show the proof of what i am saying - not just leaning on kindergarten common sense. I will have no problem getting more correspondence from Dylan people confirming everything I have said. how about it? Putting your money where your mouth is….the thought of it makes my mouth water……buyt contact me privately - we put money in escrow and I will produce correspondence from more than the horse's mouth….certainly dylan's main trainer/jockey/manager.

PostPosted: Thu January 22nd, 2015, 19:33 GMT 

Is this real life?

PostPosted: Thu January 22nd, 2015, 19:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:

ok children

That's enough from you pal. People have made very serious, knowledgeable comments on this, and that is your response?

And you had to ask why they would even want to record shows???

Go to Walmart - they are having a sale on brains today.

As for me, I'm done with you.

Enjoy your fantasies - that's all you have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next