Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 06:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 16:54 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:

You're not Goombay under another name are you?

Goombay was much more...colorful.

I miss Goombay.

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 17:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

avant-gardener wrote:

I miss Goombay.

I do, too.

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:09 GMT 

Where did he go?

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

avant-gardener wrote:
Where did he go?

I think he had a little trouble abiding by ER terms of use.

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:14 GMT 

Oh, that's too bad.

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:31 GMT 

He still posts over at Steve Hoffman...

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:36 GMT 

Hopefully he's well.

About them recording every live performance, I hope they do. Was the possibility of a 'Tempest II: Live' record just an internet rumor?

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:36 GMT 

avant-gardener wrote:
Hopefully he's well.

About them recording every live performance, I hope they do. Was the possibility of a 'Tempest II: Live' record just an internet rumor?

Well it certainly is now! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun January 25th, 2015, 18:37 GMT 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2015, 20:33 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:

Is this is an actual reply or did I miss a joke while I was skimming? Oh do please share the email address, I'd love to have a chat with Rosen since he's so willing to divulge details about one of the most private people in the world.

That was an actual reply from office management. Want the email address? Not terribly hard to find out. Seems to all here that it getting touch with the right people at management is soooo impossible….maybe so - if you do not know who to get in touch with…..or do not know who to know. Sorry just takes nothing more than putting in one's time over time…not like trying to reach god. For me - i have been around a while with those who have worked on and off (mostly on -with those who do.

Finally - the ideas that are projected on what i wrote….and the mystical and mysterious reading in-between the lines ….is truly plain silly at this point. Gtw - private people hahahaha - dylan has given about 1000 interviews over the course of the last 50 years….but seems you buy into whacky legend instead of the reality. do your work do your research and see what he actually does and why.

I work for a living and I don't research Bob, I listen to him. Putting more time into nitpicking about him than listening to him is foolish, imo, and I don't indulge in that. It's not that I think Rosen is so difficult to reach, just doubting that you would receive such a detailed answer on something that really isn't any of our business unless they put out the recordings. It's not the waste of time to email the question that I doubt; it's that Rosen (or someone on his staff) took the time to answer.

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2015, 20:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:
^ in fact can you name the last song or album released by dylan or one of his labels? please do tell. and i refer to one of his own recordings

The Hank Williams tribute album 2(?) years ago.

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2015, 22:32 GMT 

Josh - ok it has been 72 hours, give or take. You more than made your point with me.

You had made more heads explode here on the most non-descript/benign and irrelevant thread we could have found. More people - and their posts - went over the top than i ever could have imagined. And i know, I said i knew this place. I think I have been posting for over 5 years. Probably been reading posts for a lot longer than that. Granted, they used to be more serious and level-headed.

And the only edge you had - to kinda provoke - was using my username. I don't think that amounted to all that much…but who knows. (Unless they remember the high brow-low brow thread we did from way back when. Guess some things never change, huh?

But you win. I lose. And now I pay up:

And so - I, David/oldfan "publicly" state that you Josh (as oldfan) proved that indeed, there is more than a 'wee bit' too much passion/emotion/total non-sense swimming around the most innocuous topics that are barely related dylan. Sadly what was a fun wager for us….truly riled up some folks here.

I must admit - it was very entertaining ( tho a joke just the four of us can enjoy).

And good luck on your paper. Just keep taking screenshots of posts at this place and you will easily make your point.

And to those who kind of 'lost it' here….all i can say lol! Nothing wrong with laughing at one's self I have found…..one of my favorite habits.

PostPosted: Mon January 26th, 2015, 23:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

wot a cop out

PostPosted: Tue January 27th, 2015, 00:29 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
Josh - ok it has been 72 hours, give or take. You more than made your point with me.

You had made more heads explode here on the most non-descript/benign and irrelevant thread we could have found. More people - and their posts - went over the top than i ever could have imagined. And i know, I said i knew this place. I think I have been posting for over 5 years. Probably been reading posts for a lot longer than that. Granted, they used to be more serious and level-headed.

And the only edge you had - to kinda provoke - was using my username. I don't think that amounted to all that much…but who knows. (Unless they remember the high brow-low brow thread we did from way back when. Guess some things never change, huh?

But you win. I lose. And now I pay up:

And so - I, David/oldfan "publicly" state that you Josh (as oldfan) proved that indeed, there is more than a 'wee bit' too much passion/emotion/total non-sense swimming around the most innocuous topics that are barely related dylan. Sadly what was a fun wager for us….truly riled up some folks here.

I must admit - it was very entertaining ( tho a joke just the four of us can enjoy).

And good luck on your paper. Just keep taking screenshots of posts at this place and you will easily make your point.

And to those who kind of 'lost it' here….all i can say lol! Nothing wrong with laughing at one's self I have found…..one of my favorite habits.

D-fan…..you are a man of your word. And I know which place you can help with me next….hint: it's a news blog and forum

PostPosted: Tue January 27th, 2015, 00:34 GMT 

^….and by the way, D - shall we wager that we still get remarks on this silly thread…

think they (posters) have the will power to say nothing? Do you really think they can ignore us….or can they not help themselves?…..I hadn't even thought of that till now….i say we get at least 3 more posts in regards to our little 'experiment.' Watch…..and laugh heartily out loud….double or nothing?

PostPosted: Tue January 27th, 2015, 00:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

You really are totally fucking bonkers mad.

PostPosted: Tue January 27th, 2015, 01:59 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
You really are totally fucking bonkers mad.

lol!

one down and two to go. Can you believe it? They literally cannot ignore us and say nothing. Has pushing buttons ever been easier? With self-control like that - hate to be someone close to them.

we are anonymous….meaningless ghosts….and they can't stop typing to or about us. Yee-Haw!!!!!!

I say we get the other 2 or 4 or 10 by midnight. like shooting fish in a barrel……but very interesting look into human? behavior. I can't even keep the card game going….all ER all the time for the evening…..and you are going to owe big time D.

PostPosted: Mon February 2nd, 2015, 23:26 GMT 

The five-night run of El Rey shows in December 1997 has provided a handful or more single b-sides and online tracks. What is the consensus on those? Soundboards or audience recordings? They sound pretty damn clear to me, but a few people over at SteveHoffman forums insist they're audience-sourced stuff. Anyone know for sure?

PostPosted: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 00:57 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
The five-night run of El Rey shows in December 1997 has provided a handful or more single b-sides and online tracks. What is the consensus on those? Soundboards or audience recordings? They sound pretty damn clear to me, but a few people over at SteveHoffman forums insist they're audience-sourced stuff. Anyone know for sure?

My understanding has always been that they are ambient recordings shot from high over the heads of the crowds. There is way too much audience noise in those tracks for them to be straight soundboards, and if you focus your attention on the sound of the drums, you can actually hear the color of the PA more than the color of the drums themselves, if you know what I mean.

To be sure, they are more crisp and clear than most audience tapes, but still bear the tell-tale signs of audience recordings.

I know someone who was at two of those shows and he told me he saw field recording equipment back by the mixing desk that was aimed at the stage. He's a session guitarist (who had coincidentally worked with Bob before), and familiar with such gear.

Hope this info helps.

~ L.F.

PostPosted: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 01:17 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
Can you believe it? They literally cannot ignore us and say nothing. Has pushing buttons ever been easier?

we are anonymous….meaningless ghosts….and they can't stop typing to or about us. Yee-Haw!!!!!!

like shooting fish in a barrel……but very interesting look into human? behavior..all ER all the time for the evening…..

"Troll of the Year" wrapped up right there no doubt but probably instantly running in the decade class too - it's that strong.

The bragging admittance clinches it instantly, and I must admit, is a brilliant tactic.

You can't go lower than that. Game over. Credit where credit is due.

PostPosted: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 07:01 GMT 

Lonesomefetter wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

My understanding has always been that they are ambient recordings shot from high over the heads of the crowds. There is way too much audience noise in those tracks for them to be straight soundboards, and if you focus your attention on the sound of the drums, you can actually hear the color of the PA more than the color of the drums themselves, if you know what I mean.

To be sure, they are more crisp and clear than most audience tapes, but still bear the tell-tale signs of audience recordings.

I know someone who was at two of those shows and he told me he saw field recording equipment back by the mixing desk that was aimed at the stage. He's a session guitarist (who had coincidentally worked with Bob before), and familiar with such gear.

Hope this info helps.

~ L.F.

Thank you! I was wrong. But I still think those recordings sound amazing and are ready for a full release.

PostPosted: Fri August 4th, 2017, 04:36 GMT 

Shows that I really want in soundboard quality:

-Augusta 1978
-Portsmouth 2000
-Nola Jazz Festival 2003
-Hamburg 2013 (first night)
-Seattle 2002
-Stirling 2001
-"Dust my broom" boot 1992
-Frejus 1989

PostPosted: Fri August 11th, 2017, 00:48 GMT 

I forgot about this discussion. Some great stuff in here, and some utter weirdness too.

PostPosted: Sat August 12th, 2017, 09:04 GMT 

I'd love to see some recordings of the early days. I bet they were incredible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5