Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 09:12 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:21 GMT 

Do we know whether either Dylan's management or Columbia records each and every live show? Most acts of Dylan's caliber do record every show. I would imagine Dylan would, especially considering how successful archive releases have been for Mr. Dylan. But personally I have some doubt whether they do or not.

A. If they do, is it a simple stereo mix from the board, or a separate multi-track mix?
B. If they don't, why not? The reasons I think they might not are this: first, they haven't put out a ton of NET stuff, and second, some of what they have released (on singles, BobDylan.com, and Telltale Signs, etc.) has been sourced from audience recordings. As good as some of the audience-sourced recordings are, the professionally-recorded stuff that's been put out is a step above that, and I hope we get some full shows from NET some time soon.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:39 GMT 

they do not.

in fact…going back to performances on dylan.com (late 90's) many recordings on that site
and thru to TellTale Signs - some performances are taken from audience tapers.

and there are one or two people…who don't work actually for Rosen and friends.. (at least for a while - they were) that would check for best quality and make recommendations and the like…etc.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:49 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
they do not.

in fact…going back to performances on dylan.com (late 90's) many recordings on that site

and there are one or two people…who don't work actually for Rosen and friends.. (at least for a while - they were) that would check for best quality and make recommendations and the like…etc.

Yup. But why don't they? Seems like a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldfan wrote:
there are one or two people…that would check for best quality and make recommendations and the like…etc.

Where can I sign up?

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:58 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
eltedioso wrote:

I don't mean to be rude by asking this elte, but why would they?

Why would Sony or Bob want to record 150+ shows a year? - Sure they can release the best ones, but when you consider what Oldie said that most of them are taped by audience members who then recommend the best ones, why would they go to the trouble to do it themselves?

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

^For posterity? And so they have them all and have control over how they are handled?

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:08 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

Why would Sony or Bob want to record 150+ shows a year? - Sure they can release the best ones, but when you consider what Oldie said that most of them are taped by audience members who then recommend the best ones, why would they go to the trouble to do it themselves?

Off the top of my head? Sound quality. A complete archive/historical posterity. Multi-track mixing capability after the fact. Ownership of masters.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:14 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:
eltedioso wrote:

Also, live recording has become so much easier than it was a few decades ago. If Dylan's crew wanted, they could just record a stereo board mix into Pro Tools, and it would be better than nothing (and clearer than audience tapes). But a true multi-track recording with some audience noise mixed in is ideal, and it's just not that hard to do. Most acts now just DO it, if they're big enough to be touring (or even if they're still small-time, for that matter!). Everyone from Katy Perry to Beck to Paul McCartney to Taylor Swift to Weird Al to Marilyn Manson probably records every show, even if they're not planning a live album or anything in particular (although I can't cite each of those for a fact). It's just what's done now.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:18 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
^For posterity? And so they have them all and have control over how they are handled?

eltedioso wrote:
Off the top of my head? Sound quality. A complete archive/historical posterity. Multi-track mixing capability after the fact. Ownership of masters.

Yes, relevant points both, but still. They don't have a huge amount of control over them in the first place, since they're all bootlegged and appear online hours after each show.

Historical posterity, perhaps. But mixing capabilities etc.? - I'm not sure there's enough commerciality for a NET release is there? Barring the wonderful people on here and others, I'm not sure Sony would think about it.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:22 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:
raging_glory wrote:

eltedioso wrote:

Yes, relevant points both, but still. They don't have a huge amount of control over them in the first place, since they're all bootlegged and appear online hours after each show.

Historical posterity, perhaps. But mixing capabilities etc.? - I'm not sure there's enough commerciality for a NET release is there? Barring the wonderful people on here and others, I'm not sure Sony would think about it.

You're probably right that they don't do it 'cause there's no demand for that much crystal-clear live modern-day Dylan. But I bet, decades from now, after Dylan's stopped touring (and maybe even left this earth, heaven forbid), they'll wish they had taken the little bit of extra effort.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hibbing91 wrote:
150+ shows a year?

Less even...

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 21:48 GMT 

There was an idea floating around quite recently that due to all the mics being on stage earlier in 2014, the crew may have been recording the concerts.

I can't believe that at least some of the concerts each year aren't recorded professionally. As mentioned, it's so easy to do and it opens up the possibility for Sony to do something similar to Elvis' FTD series one day.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 22:30 GMT 

They recorded the recent New York shows. Don't know on what level but they were recording.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 22:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

MrJudasPriest wrote:
They recorded the recent New York shows. Don't know on what level but they were recording.

They also appeared to record the fall shows in Europe last year - mics were recording the audience and a screen displayed pro tools at the soundboard.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 22:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

The audience mics are always there as far as I'm aware.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 23:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hibbing91 wrote:
I'm not sure there's enough commerciality for a NET release is there?

Commerciality is really not my issue. As long as everyone who wants to have a copy can get it, that's all that really matters. Call it charity, a gift of benevolent love, whatever...

Sony should make every NET show available for purchase as a gesture of goodwill and human decency... to make the world a better place and to re-affirm that life is worth living!

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 23:51 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Commerciality is really not my issue. As long as everyone who wants to have a copy can get it, that's all that really matters. Call it charity, a gift of benevolent love, whatever...

Sony should make every NET show available for purchase as a gesture of goodwill and human decency... to make the world a better place and to re-affirm that life is worth living!

While I do agree with you, UP. From a business point of view, which I assume is very much the way Sony look at it, I doubt they would do it because of the kindness in the hearts unfortunately.

Otherwise everyone would have a beloved free copy of Christmas in the Heart to have and to hold! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 23:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Many have said they record all the shows, I don't know if this is true. I would hope so, there has been some stunning music on the NET.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 23:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Just 30 years to the Copyright Extension Collection, 1995, too. Lovely thought.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 00:00 GMT 

oldfan wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does that. Some shows have like 5 different sources, I will go through each of them to find the best sounding one and archive it. Sometimes a better sounding copy will pop up 1-2 years after the show by someone just getting around to sharing it, so patience is necessary.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 00:41 GMT 

eltedioso wrote:
oldfan wrote:
they do not.

are you serious with that question? money - duh!

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 01:46 GMT 

oldfan wrote:
they do not.

Really? What is that based on?

A guy who keeps the show lights low to lessen the value of his image he knows will sell, doesn't record his most valuable asset - his sound? The mind reels at the thought of the Dylan archives. They are probably planning on dripping stuff out forever - as is their right.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 02:08 GMT 

Just to throw in my law-student-two-cents: copyright requires 'fixation in a tangible medium', so I just assumed that all performers record their concerts (to exercise control over their art, if for no commercial reason). And has been mentioned above, recording is so cheap & easy these days, I'd be surprised if Dylan Inc. doesn't do it, just in case.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 07:14 GMT 

oldfan wrote:

are you serious with that question? money - duh!

I honestly don't know what you mean. Do you think it would be too much more money beyond what's already being spent for the live technical team, that Columbia or Dylan's archive team wouldn't be willing to shell out? I don't believe that to be true. It would be a minimal cost.

Also, why so rude? Don't be rude. We're having a conversation here. "Are you serious with that question?"? Whatever dude.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 09:58 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Many have said they record all the shows, I don't know if this is true. I would hope so, there has been some stunning music on the NET.

Do you mean shows of the NET or shows of earlier tours, too?

Regarding the 76 RTR I think I read somewhere (maybe in one of Paul Williams' books, I can't recall it right now) that "they" stopped filming/recording the individual shows after Fort Collins, when "Hard Rain" was in the can. If this is true (and not just a guess) there is the tour's last gig missing. Which is, trara!!!, SLC.