Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat July 21st, 2018, 23:33 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Its Alright Ma.....
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 18:26 GMT 

OK aloooot of reading for you peeps, Image but still I thought you may be intrested,

I relize everyone has there own version and meaning of Mr. Bob songs, but this struck me ealier on this year about the song "its alright ma im only bleeding" so i wrote down all of my thoughts, quickly before I forgot them,
it is a bit hicklety pickelty Image but still might be an intresting read to you all so enjoy, Image

Quote:
“darkness at the break of noon” - jesus on the cross at noon in the bible says it made it go completely black when he died.

“its alright ma I’m only bleeding” - “its life and life only” -- jesus talking to him mum as he dies on the cross.-- whats life when I have internal life.

“Shadows even the silver spoon” --- is the silver pieces that judas got for turning jeseus in. that has become worthless and tainted, judas realises and in the end hangs himself for what he did to his “friend”
“The handmade blade, the child's balloon” -- even the innocent children are being moulded by society… not completely sure about that one.
“Eclipses both the sun and moon” -- it was like an eclipse when it went dark.
“To understand you know too soon
There is no sense in trying” -- he has tried everything feeling as if what is the use people will not listen

“Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn” -- hackling him on the cross,

“As some warn victory, some downfall
Private reasons great or small” -- the heads glad they had beaten jesus.

“Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark” -- words being spread are not helpful, see also “While preachers preach of evil fates”

The song kinda gose on latter brought more to this time, that jesus’s words even tho people are hearing they are not nessarly listening to them.
“Advertising signs that con you
Into thinking you're the one
That can do what's never been done
That can win what's never been won” -- people are tricking you, making you follow things that will get you know where, its controlling you and sersity that “life is going on all around you” (another way of the heads getting people to do what they want you to, when religon has failed)

“you lose yourself, you re-apear” -- you where lost in this and it is as if you are waking up now,

“Alone you stand with nobody near
When a trembling distant voice, unclear
Startles your sleeping ears to hear
That somebody thinks
They really found you.” --- you are relizeing things that you couldn’t see before, but people around you are still scard “ trembling distant voice”
“sleeping ear” you feel sort of alone and is like your asleep.

“A question in your nerves is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit to satisfy
Insure you not to quit” -- you start to question religion but no one can give you an answer to satisfy you

“To keep it in your mind and not forget
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to.” --- you keep theses questions in your mind that cannot be answered, you keep reminding yourself that religion or the heads cannot controll you like the rest of society is.

“Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.” --- yes the heads make the rules but I don’t have to live up to that… also could be jesus saying once again to his mother, I don’t have to live up to there exspectations, man can make his own dissions,

“For them that must obey authority
That they do not respect in any degree
Who despise their jobs, their destinies
Speak jealously of them that are free
Cultivate their flowers to be
Nothing more than something
They invest in.” ----- people working have no respect for the heads anymore, more people are opening there eyes but yet there is nothing they can do, the only thing they can controll in there lives is there flowers, or small things they buy or build up around them that they can controll, or build up there life and controll it like a flower.
“speak jealously of them that are free” ---- are annoyed poke fun at the heads who controll things because they are as such in a way free to do as they please with everyone.

“While some on principles baptized
To strict party platform ties” -- some people still hold onto there religon (bible belt)
“Social clubs in drag disguise
Outsiders they can freely criticize” -- while some join other things that are not religon in a way trying to break out, and are critizing the religouse groups, but in a way have just gone and joined another type of group.
“Tell nothing except who to idolize
And then say God bless him” -- what ever group you are in they will still tell you who to idolize and follow.

“While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.” --- I have always thought this was Dylan, he is trying to wake people up to what is going on around them, but he dose not care to become a “profit” or a “leader” hence the line “who cares not to come up any higher” .. he can see what has happened, he has gone thro socity e.g his religon “jewish” has made him “ bent out of shape from socity’s pliers” it rubbed him up the wrong way… but he wants others to see his dilema that he is faceing and might not be abel to it resolve himself, again hence the line “ but rather get you down in hole he’s in” maybe he wants help and others points of view.

“But I mean no harm nor put fault
On anyone that lives in a vault
But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him” -- even tho this is how he feels, he is not going to critise those who have not opened there eyes, (or cannot open there eyes) and still in the box of religon. the line “but its alright ma If I can’t please him” this could in some ways be a metaphor, that he feels shackeld in socity being persecuted like jesus was, but he has tried and is as saying I can’t please him but I don’t care.

“ Old lady judges watch people in pairs
Limited in sex, they dare
To push fake morals, insult and stare
While money doesn't talk, it swears
Obscenity, who really cares
Propaganda, all is phony” ----- old ladys people who are fixed in there morrels are like the people hackeling jesus, but instead they are hackeling the youth of today for how they are changing. “money doesn’t talk it swears” I love that line !!! It says enough for its self.
Obsinity in propaganda at the end of the day who cares about what some president did wrong in his spare time e.g had an affire, it is probably all phony, just another leader trying to get to the top.

“While them that defend what they cannot see
With a killer's pride, security
It blows the minds most bitterly” -- while religouse people diffend there god that they cannot see.. When questioned about his mortality it blows there mind and makes them bitter cose they cannot see or understand.

“For them that think death's honesty” -- for them that belive in after life,
“Won't fall upon them naturally” -- they think they won’t just die dead and that is it
“Life sometimes
Must get lonely.” --- ignorance is bliss

“My eyes collide head-on with stuffed graveyards
False gods, I scuff” -- I see all this and I just hate it all, all the good being preached but there is still graveyards. Eg wars.

“At pettiness which plays so rough” -- people are so petty about things and the price to pay is bad !!!
“Walk upside-down inside handcuffs
Kick my legs to crash it off” --- I have to free myself from these shackels I’m kicking them off, I’v gone thro the punishments and I still belive what I think.
“Say okay, I have had enough
What else can you show me?” -- come on then what eles have you got, even jesus went to the cross to prove his point

“And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.” ---- song closes, this is all in my head buzzing around cose if I did let out what is going on in my head and put it to them easily or simple they would kill me.…. Ending with as if jesus saying to his mother “its life and life only”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:03 GMT 
Stick to the lil dancing guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:25 GMT 

Long John wrote:
Stick to the lil dancing guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:32 GMT 
I thought it was an interesting read, Angel. Lots of insights I'd never taken the time to consider.

Thanks for sharing!
(I'd love to chat with you about this some, but am just off to teach a Critical Thinking class. :wink: )

Last edited by stellasgrl2 on Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:34 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:34 GMT 

stellasgrl2 wrote:
I thought it was an interesting read, Angel. Lots of insights I'd never taken the time to consider.

Thanks for sharing!

Thankyou !! stella, :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:35 GMT 
Aww. . .you did the work, Sweetie. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 19:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm not so sure its alllll about religion. But, its nice to know that you have your insight and I have mine. Its what ever the listener wants it to be that is the main thing. Thank You for sharing your thoughs. its hard with people like 24/7 in the forum :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 20:04 GMT 

at first I did not think it was about religion, I think it is genraly about society,

but it was when I was talking to my mum she mentioned about the opening lines haveing bible refferances, (she thought it reffered to the crusifixsion )so I thought to my head that it could have a religiouse meaning though out the song,

it was just another way of looking at it,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:13 GMT 

I always thought the song was just about rhyming words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 22:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Something is happening here but you dont know what it is. do you Mr. Jones? No Just kidding I think that could be true too in the beginning of his journey he did use to just write songs and throw in words to just rhyme ah!!! did i spell that right anyway Ginsberg said it best he liked it when bob started writing without having to rhyme ( I dont think I spelled it does not look ah!!! right its the 4th grade for me after all 24/7 aka LongJohn :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 23:33 GMT 

D. Angel, I like what you wrote and the trouble you took to do it.

(Of course it's about rhyming words, that's why it's such a great song. Dinner is about being fed, too, but that doesn't mean you can't think about the recipe.)

Anyway I was connecting with what you wrote and especially this verse:

My eyes collide head-on with stuffed
graveyards
False gods, I scuff
At pettiness which plays so rough
Walk upside-down inside handcuffs
Kick my legs to crash it off
Say okay, I have had enough
What else can you show me?

And then thinking of Matthew Chapter 23: 27-28 (Jesus speaking here)

27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. 28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

The whitewashed graves are so bright your eyes could collide with them but inside they are full of bones, stuffed.

That "upside down" is a little more tricky, but it connects with the crucifixion indirectly because when Peter was executed they say he didn't want to be crucified -- he allegedly said he didn't deserve to be executed the same way that Jesus was, and asked to be crucified upside-down instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 23:43 GMT 

the spelling 'rhyme' is really historically inaccurate, since words that begin with 'rh' all come from Greek, or are assumed to. This is one of the ones that is just assumed, to, it's really a native English word and the historically correct spelling is 'rime' without the 'h'. either spelling is acceptable and I use both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2007, 23:51 GMT 

I think it was something he just wrote. Just a stream of consciousness in front of a piece of paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 01:56 GMT 

"the spelling 'rhyme' is really historically inaccurate, since words that begin with 'rh' all come from Greek, or are assumed to."

I'm having a little trouble with this comment, for starters because it's not what we were talking about.

Besides that, the error in question is several centuries old, and if we stopped writing all words that were "originally" misspelled a few hundred years ago it would be more than "rhyme" that would fall by the wayside.

And finally give the word its due. It is ultimately cognate to the Greek "rhythmos" and while coming into English most proximately from French still has a Greek pedigree of its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 03:06 GMT 

not to get off topic again, but either spelling is acceptable and I use both, you'll see both of them used. this was in response to GypsyDaisy's qualms about her spelling of the word. there is doubt about the actual origin of the word. I don't want to go into that here, it's off topic.

Post subject: Re: Its Alright Ma.....
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 03:24 GMT 

Dylan's Angel wrote:
OK aloooot of reading for you peeps, Image but still I thought you may be intrested,

I relize everyone has there own version and meaning of Mr. Bob songs, but this struck me ealier on this year about the song "its alright ma im only bleeding" so i wrote down all of my thoughts, quickly before I forgot them,
it is a bit hicklety pickelty Image but still might be an intresting read to you all so enjoy, Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 04:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

Having had a Christian upbringing (which I have not shed) I thought from the first time I heard it that the "darkness at the break of noon" line had a biblical source. I never really stopped to think about how the rest of the song might relate to the same theme--I'm still not sure it does, but it was very interesting read, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 04:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

Yes, a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing your interpretation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 07:53 GMT 

The darkness at the break of noon line and its relation to Jesus' death is quite interesting. I think its somewhere in Mark that it is written about the day becoming dark. Then, 1700 years later Isaac Newton worked out all the previous and future eclipses over a several thousand year span. Several of them fell on common dates believed to have been the day, including the most commonly accepted date of the crucifixion. Of course it can never be proven due to the inaccuracy of dates around that time, but it seems quite possible there was an eclipse on the day Jesus died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 07:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Intresting!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 15:14 GMT 
Fishes, that was just plain mean. :( :shock:
I CAN UNDERSTAND A LOT OF THIngs in this world, but I will never ever understand what it is that compels people to arbitrarily do mean things!

HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 18:22 GMT 

stellasgrl2 wrote:
Fishes, that was just plain mean. :( :shock:
I CAN UNDERSTAND A LOT OF THIngs in this world, but I will never ever understand what it is that compels people to arbitrarily do mean things!

HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL? :?

I don't know what it makes them feel,

but it makes me feel whats the point Image in trying to be happy and nice, when everyone is sitting ready to s**t all over you, Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 18:45 GMT 
Yeah. Me too.

I think it's important to say "ouch ouch ouch!" until they get the message.

In the meantime, we just hand each other ice-packs for the bruises and teddy bears for the loneliness :wink: :)

Have you been to the ER Girls thread yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 18:52 GMT 

Dylan's Angel, I think a lot of people don't realize how hard it is to come up with a coherent interpretation of something -- movie, story, song, or even sandwich. Sometimes people have one or two passing thoughts when they listen to a song and they think, All right, that's my interpretation. And it is. But there is a big jump in the effort and thought that it takes to go from one or two ideas and try to spell out how the parts of the song hang together. You started with darkness at noon and really worked on the rest of the song accordingly. That's what got my attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2007, 19:04 GMT 
Agreed, Fleet Foot.

It takes a certain amount of courage to put yourself out there and start a discussion. . .

We all learn by observing and by trying to make sense of the world around us. Learning is about trial and error. . .and testing our theories, being open to new ideas. . . not pretending we have all the answers. . .pfft experts have a lot of the answers, but they don't have access to your answers. . ..

When the expert thinks he/she knows it all, he's/ she's screwed.

I know that personally I am thankful for those who aren't afraid to share what they have learned on their journeys.

(And as for this thread. . .I have to confess I haven't had time to sit down and try and make sense out of this song. . .but had been considering its connections to the story of Jesus. . .and wondered if anyone else had seen them. . .

Was truly delighted to see that somebody else was thinking along the same lines.)