Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 09:51 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

For years, I have referred to a fictitious Dylan, Inc. It's a made up term.
I see that some have perceived this to be Bob, himself. That is not my intent.

Dylan, Inc. is NOT the artist himself.

Dylan, Inc. is the collective entity of hangers-ons that are making money because the artist exists, or existed.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:39 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

But what does 'exist' really mean?

Do we all exist or is existence just a meta-physical concept, contextually speaking?

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

thickboy wrote:

Do we all exist or is existence just a meta-physical concept, contextually speaking?

The many variations of what Bob is to each of us and the myriad of Bob's stages was what I was trying to cover, oh Thick One.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

thickboy wrote:

Existence is a game, thickboy, John Lennon said so [I think he read about it in some book by a dead Tibetan dude]

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

the fellow with the eyes, whos onstage googling at folks in the front may be part of dylan inc. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:55 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
thickboy wrote:

The many variations of what Bob is to each of us and the myriad of Bob's stages was what I was trying to cover, oh Thick One.

Yes, and I think you nailed it, Barefootster... however, I am intrigued that you chose to say Dylan, Inc. and and not Dylan, Corp.

Inc. or Corp... ?

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 15:57 GMT 
Senior Moderator

When you've referred to "Dylan, Inc." I've always thought of it being Bob and everyone on his payroll, or hired by him to respresent him (such as attorneys).

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 16:06 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I wish folk would stop refering to Dylan, Inc... it immediately makes me think of Monsters, Inc... and then I start to imagine Dylan as Mike, the green, one-eyed monster.

Strangely, the one-eyed part ties in with the 'All seeing eye' that His Bobness is so fond of!

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 16:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
thickboy wrote:

thickboy wrote:
Yes, and I think you nailed it, Barefootster... however, I am intrigued that you chose to say Dylan, Inc. and and not Dylan, Corp.

Inc. or Corp... ?

Well, I think they say the same thing. Let's not read too deeply into it. It's a USA term.
Here are the International equivalents according to Wikipedia (so it must be true):

Incorporation (business) - International perspective
The legal concept of incorporation is recognized all over the world.
In the United States, there are many ways that a corporation can be identified. The four forms that are valid in all 50 states and the District of Columbia are "Corporation", "Incorporated," and the abbreviations "Corp." and "Inc." Some states allow the use of "Company" and some have additional optional names. A complete list of which names are allowed in each state can be found at Types_of_business_entity#United_States.
In Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the GmbH ("Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung", meaning "limited liability business association"), as well as the AG ("Aktiengesellschaft", meaning "business association with shares"), are the entities most similar to the corporations in the U.S.
In the United Kingdom, with the exception of an unlimited company or corporation which requires no designation as part of its legal company name, the titles Ltd. (limited company) or plc (public limited company) are used for corporations.
In France, Switzerland, Belgium and Luxembourg, the term "SARL" (société à responsibilité limitée, company with limited liability) or SA (société anonyme, anonymous partnership) is used.
Spain, Portugal, Poland, Romania and Latin America use the title SA (anonymous partnership) for stock corporations or Ltda (limitada or limited liability) for limited companies. (Ltda is denoted SL in Spain, for "Sociedad Limitada", and SRL in Argentina, for ("Sociedad de Responsabilidad Limitada").
Denmark and Norway uses the title A/S for stock corporations (Danish: Aktieselskab, Norwegian: Aksjeselskap), while Sweden uses the similar AB (Swedish: aktiebolag). Finland uses Oy (Finnish:Osakeyhtiö), Oyj for stock corporations (Osakeyhtiö, julkinen) and Ay (Avoin yhtiö) or Ky (Kommandiittiyhtiö) for private enterprises.
In India, the term Pvt. Ltd. is used for a company that is private, an entity similar to LLC in U.S. Ltd. is used for public unlisted company or a public corporation, a similar entity to a corporation in the U.S.
Italy uses "Srl" or "Società a Responsabilità Limitata" (limited liability company), and "SpA" or "Società Per Azioni" (stock corporation).
In the Netherlands, NV and BV are used.
Malaysia uses Sdn. Bhd.[2] (Malay: Sendirian Berhad), meaning "private limited", which is the equivalent of an incorporated entity in the U.S.
Indonesia uses P.T. (Indonesian: Perseroan Terbatas), meaning "private limited", which is the equivalent of an incorporated entity in the U.S. This legal title is stated in front of the corporation name. If the shares become publicly listed for trading in stock exchange, it's called Tbk. (Indonesian: Terbuka), appended after the corporation name.
Slovakia uses s.r.o. ("spoločnosť s ručením obmedzeným" meaning "business with limited liability") and a.s. ("akciová spoločnosť" meaning "business with shares").
In Latvia, the most commonly used title of a corporation is "S.I.A." (Latvian: Sabiedrība ar Ierobežotu Atbildību) for "limited liability company", or "LLC", and "A/S" (Latvian: Akciju Sabiedrība) for "joint stock company", or "JSC". The title "S.I.A." and "A/S" are put before the name of the corporation.
Albania uses "Sh.p.k" (Albanian: Shoqëri me Përgjegjësi të Kufizuar) for "limited liability company", "Sh.a." (Albanian: Shoqëri Anonime), meaning "anonymous partnership", for stock corporations. Pursuant to the Albanian legislation, the possible business structures are:
Sole proprietorship (person fizik) - A business owned and managed by one individual who is personally liable for all business debts and obligations.
Limited liability company (LLC) - A hybrid legal structure that provides the limited liability features of a corporation and the tax efficiencies and operational flexibility of a partnership.
Corporation - A legal entity owned by shareholders.
Non-profit - An organization engaged in activities of public or private interest where making a profit is not a primary mission. Some non-profits are exempt from federal taxes.
Singapore uses Pte. Ltd., meaning "private limited",[3] which is the equivalent of an incorporated entity in the U.S.[4]
In Canada, the process of incorporation can be done either at the federal or provincial level. Companies which incorporate with the federal government will generally need to register extra-provincially in the province that they elect to do business. Similarly, a provincial corporation may need to register extra-provincially if they are to have offices outside of their home province. Incorporations are effected quite quickly, depending upon the jurisdiction of registration, as several provinces and the federal government have started to allow for electronic filing. Incorporated Canadian companies can generally use either Limited, Incorporated or Corporation in their name, however this may vary province to province.
Dubai uses "LLC" to denote a limited liability company. Listed companies use "PJSC" to denote public joint stock company.
In Turkey Ltd. Şti. (which stands for Limited Şirketi) is a common form to denote limited liability companies.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 16:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

thickboy wrote:
I wish folk would stop refering to Dylan, Inc... it immediately makes me think of Monsters, Inc... and then I start to imagine Dylan as Mike, the green, one-eyed monster.

Strangely, the one-eyed part ties in with the 'All seeing eye' that His Bobness is so fond of!

You may be on to something here, oh Thick One.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 18:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Dylan, Inc. is the collective entity of hangers-ons that are making money because the artist exists, or existed.

Yea.... time he fires them all and goes back to carrying his own guitar, the old lazy capitalist. :roll:
I'd like to see another tour get underway after that happens.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Yea.... time he fires them all and goes back to carrying his own guitar, the old lazy capitalist. :roll:
I'd like to see another tour get underway after that happens.

Lazy, he is not.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

You mean after he gets rid of them all, he'll book his own venues and carry his own amps and sell his own eye logo stickers? I mean, this post coming from you, retirement is probably not what you have in mind.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
You mean after he gets rid of them all, he'll book his own venues and carry his own amps and sell his own eye logo stickers? I mean, this post coming from you, retirement is probably not what you have in mind.

I didn't say Dylan, Inc. wasn't necessary. I simply defined it for clarification since some people thought I meant the man, himself. I didn't define it to antagonize, but if you wanna go at it, let's roll.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Your definition of the term seemed to carry negative overtones, that's all. Like you'd rather not have them around to earn money doing what they do.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Your definition of the term seemed to carry negative overtones, that's all. Like you'd rather not have them around to earn money doing what they do.

I wanted it to be all-encompassing and like any organization there is undoubtedly some dead-weight in there. Plus, there is a certain irony in revolving around one particular person for a paycheck.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

what's happen with the Incontinence of Bob???? ...

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

jcastro wrote:

I think Bob's been in most of the continents.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
jcastro wrote:

I think Bob's been in most of the continents.

yep, you're right :mrgreen: .. :lol: it was just a bad joke :wink:

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 19:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

I remember seeing a photo of him and the penguins.... :?
I think Blue posted it.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 20:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

I wanted it to be all-encompassing and like any organization there is undoubtedly some dead-weight in there. Plus, there is a certain irony in revolving around one particular person for a paycheck.

I've always gotten a negative vibe from it, it's something separate from (perhaps in opposition to) Dylan the artist. It feeds especially on the very things (nostalgia or retreading) that Dylan himself has identified as negative forces. It also is sometimes used to imply that Dylan himself is all about cashing in on his former glories, which I think is simply untrue.

Dylan, Inc. certainly exists, however. Dylan's work is worth many millions, he's not a hobo.

PostPosted: Mon February 18th, 2013, 00:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
I've always gotten a negative vibe from it...

Sorry about that, I suppose that it's kind of a jab at the reality that management of a rock star, or band, is a business. It doesn't feel natural because we don't want it to be that way, but it is a business. And business needs to take in more than it pays out if it is to survive, so sometimes there are unintended consequences.

smoke wrote:
...it's something separate from (perhaps in opposition to) Dylan the artist.

That is exactly right, smoke. Dylan, Inc. is NOT Bob Dylan, the artist.

smoke wrote:
It feeds especially on the very things (nostalgia or retreading) that Dylan himself has identified as negative forces.

Yes, I think it's sometimes referred to as value-added revenue or something in that vein.

smoke wrote:
It also is sometimes used to imply that Dylan himself is all about cashing in on his former glories, which I think is simply untrue.

Not Dylan himself, but definitely those that see a way to profit from it.

smoke wrote:
Dylan, Inc. certainly exists, however. Dylan's work is worth many millions, he's not a hobo.

He is a great example of someone who can pretty much have anything, but chooses to follow his passion.

Thanks for helping clarify.

PostPosted: Mon February 18th, 2013, 01:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

thickboy wrote:

Me too! And then I start to imagine 'one-eyed monsters', my own included, and, well... :oops: it just really degenerates after that....

PostPosted: Mon February 18th, 2013, 01:28 GMT 

goombay wrote:
the fellow with the eyes, whos onstage googling at folks in the front may be part of dylan inc. :shock:

gee goombay.. its fun to get him ogling....... which is the word i think you meant... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon February 18th, 2013, 01:39 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
When you've referred to "Dylan, Inc." I've always thought of it being Bob and everyone on his payroll, or hired by him to respresent him (such as attorneys).

same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next