Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 09:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed March 1st, 2017, 21:58 GMT 

Because of that 50 year rule.

PostPosted: Wed March 1st, 2017, 22:01 GMT 

Probably.

PostPosted: Wed March 1st, 2017, 22:17 GMT 

In one of these threads, I think it was in the bootleg 13, I posted news that, yes, they are planning to release JWH outtakes this year. Most likely, they will be in some limited release, like the first copyright set was.

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 02:54 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
In one of these threads, I think it was in the bootleg 13, I posted news that, yes, they are planning to release JWH outtakes this year. Most likely, they will be in some limited release, like the first copyright set was.

How do you know this? I would love to hear some John Wesley Harding outtakes, but unfortunately I don't think there are any new songs, just outtakes of what was released.

I'm also dying to see Nashville Skyline outtakes released soon... Goin' to Chicago etc

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 03:08 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
Jelly Roll wrote:

How do you know this? I would love to hear some John Wesley Harding outtakes, but unfortunately I don't think there are any new songs, just outtakes of what was released.

I'm also dying to see Nashville Skyline outtakes released soon... Goin' to Chicago etc

I've heard the opposite - that there will be no JWH copyright release since the sessions never leaked. Where is this "news" about a JWH release?

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 05:38 GMT 

I posted on the topic in the thread about Bootleg Vol 13. I can't locate that thread now, but if you want to track it down, its in there. I also included a link to my source. Maybe someone know how to search a thread for a user name. If so, you can find my post and check the link. It seemed fairly reliable, because the source knew about the Gospel Years and some other information.

Check it out. If someone can find my post, you can paste it here.

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 05:48 GMT 

I looked through that thread and cant find my post, but its on this site somewhere. If someone can search my posts by username, you can find the link and check it out yourself. I don't post that much and this was maybe two months ago.

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 05:53 GMT 

Here it is

I started a new thread. Maybe I should not have. But, I thought, that if you have not seen this, you should. Note the part about the JWH sessions!

FROM:http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2016/10/report-more-on-bob-dylan-s-upcoming-gospel-box-set-001199011.html

Now that the cat’s out of the bag, with Rolling Stone magazine's article on an upcoming Bob Dylan box set that was posted on their website earlier today (“Bob Dylan Plotting #gospel Years Bootleg Series”), I can now share what I’ve heard about the project, which I received from numerous sources who wish to remain masked and anonymous. Keep in mind, none of this information has been revealed or confirmed by Bob Dylan’s management or record label. The “Gospel” set is reportedly not yet ready for release, but it will be readied sometime next year, well after the November release of the 36 CD set, "The 1966 Live Recordings."

Interestingly, some of the audiences on these tours (1979-81) were as hostile as the ones in 1966 when Dylan went "electric." Dylan would also often “sermonize” from the stage during the “Gospel” tours.
Unreleased and unknown

In addition to the news in the Rolling Stone article, I’ve heard:

Dylan's “Gospel Years” edition of "The Bootleg Series, Volume 13," will feature plenty of unreleased material, including studio versions of the songs from this period which was performed in concert during these tours, but were never released. Also expected are many other songs completely unknown to most fans.
A new edit of a concert video from Kleinhans #Music Hall, Buffalo, New York, in much better quality than the 1980 Toronto show that's been traded among collectors for a while. Three shows were reportedly professionally taped in full.
How the set will be presented is still to be determined, including how many discs, how many different versions/formats, books, packaging, etc

What we can expect:

While we do not know what is in the vaults, we can speculate with what we do know.

A live album titled "Solid Rock," circa 1980, was reportedly rejected by Dylan's record label at the time.

Below is a list of songs not released on Dylan's original so-called “Gospel” trilogy: "Slow Train Coming" (1979), "Saved (1980)," and "Shot of Love" (1981):

1979:

Trouble in Mind - initially released as a b-side only, two different edits.
Ain't No Man Righteous, No Not One
Blessed Be the Name
Note: Ye Shall Be Changed was released on The Bootleg Series, Volume 3

1980:

Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody
Cover Down, Break Through
I WIll Love Him
They Talk About Me
Her Memory
Brown Skin Girl
Let’s Keep It Between Us (Covered by Bonnie Raitt)
Yonder Comes Sin
City of Gold

Cover versions:

I Will Sing, I Will Sing
Abraham, Martin And John
Mary From The Wild Moor
We Just Disagree
A Couple More Years (later sung by Dylan in the movie, "Hearts of Fire")
Rise Again
Nobody’s Fault But Mine
Fever

1981 (There is some confusion over this material, plus much of it would not be categorized as “gospel.” Some possible titles):

Straw Hat
Gonna Love You Anyway
Is It Worth It?
Yes Sir, No Sir (Hallelujah)
Fur Slippers (Covered by B.B. King)
The King Is On The Throne

Note: A live version of “Groom Still Waiting at the Altar” from San Francisco’s Fox Warfield Theatre, November 15, 1980, was included on 2014’s "Michael Bloomfield: From His Head To His Heart To His Hands." "Let It Be Me," recorded in 1981, was released as a b-side in Europe.

Of course, there are many interesting outtakes of Dylan's songs, often with different lyrics and arrangement, in the vaults.

Also be on the lookout for the release of possible outtakes from the 1967 "John Wesley Harding" sessions at the end of next year. It may be released, in possibly very limited quantities in Europe, to keep the copyright in the control of Sony and Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 21:57 GMT 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... et-w444654
October 17, 2016

"Next year marks the 50th anniversary of John Wesley Harding, but there won’t be any copyright-protection release of the raw sessions for a simple reason: bootleggers never got their hands on the session tapes."

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 01:11 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-bob-dylans-massive-new-36-album-1966-live-box-set-w444654
October 17, 2016

"Next year marks the 50th anniversary of John Wesley Harding, but there won’t be any copyright-protection release of the raw sessions for a simple reason: bootleggers never got their hands on the session tapes."

Dang this really sucks. JWH is one of Bob's best and most concise works and this will just add another layer of mystery behind it. What is Bob hiding?

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 01:39 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-bob-dylans-massive-new-36-album-1966-live-box-set-w444654
October 17, 2016

Dang this really sucks. JWH is one of Bob's best and most concise works and this will just add another layer of mystery behind it. What is Bob hiding?

How the sausage gets made.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 01:53 GMT 

October 17, 2016

If they are not released, and depending on how you interpret the EU Copyright laws, Dylan Inc. runs the risk of having these recording fall into the public domain -- released or not. And man, what happens if someone is sitting on some of these outtakes?

If Dylan Inc releases them after January 1, 2018 they will still be in the PD in the EU even if it's the first time that they are being made available to the public.

If this Rolling Stone argument is to be believed then why did Dylan Inc release any of the 62-66 material that hadn't been previously booted?

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 01:57 GMT 

October 17, 2016

makes me wanna hear em even more

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 03:17 GMT 

I remember reading somewhere, I think on hERe, that the guy who runs the Dylan archive heard the outtakes and said that there are alternate lyrics to All Along The Watchtower. If that is true, I think that is the holy grail for Dylan fans after all the bootleg series releases (especially the basement tapes). That is why I am interested in the JWH outtakes,

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 04:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

mikeja75 wrote:
October 17, 2016

If they are not released, and depending on how you interpret the EU Copyright laws, Dylan Inc. runs the risk of having these recording fall into the public domain -- released or not. And man, what happens if someone is sitting on some of these outtakes?

If Dylan Inc releases them after January 1, 2018 they will still be in the PD in the EU even if it's the first time that they are being made available to the public.

If this Rolling Stone argument is to be believed then why did Dylan Inc release any of the 62-66 material that hadn't been previously booted?

This is my understanding as well. If they decide to put them out someday they can immediately be repackaged and sold without payment of royalties. I can only assume the know what they're doing when it comes to maximizing profit, though.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 04:56 GMT 

Personally, I don't think that the Dylan camp would choose to release or not released based on whether or not bootleggers have the tapes or not. I think that they might also be concerned that someone could get their hands on the tapes or that there may be copies of the tapes that they don't know about. Their best play is to release the material or be sorry after the fact. However, I am fairly certain that if there is a release it will be limited and without frills and only for copyright purposes.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 06:22 GMT 

I can't think of a leaner, sparer record than John Wesley Harding. Surely, if there's one record that doesn't need outtakes being released, this is it.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 15:42 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
I can't think of a leaner, sparer record than John Wesley Harding. Surely, if there's one record that doesn't need outtakes being released, this is it.

Because it is a sparer record, the release wouldn't be $500 so it would be accessible to any fan.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 19:11 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
Personally, I don't think that the Dylan camp would choose to release or not released based on whether or not bootleggers have the tapes or not. I think that they might also be concerned that someone could get their hands on the tapes or that there may be copies of the tapes that they don't know about. Their best play is to release the material or be sorry after the fact. However, I am fairly certain that if there is a release it will be limited and without frills and only for copyright purposes.

This is what I expect too. They will put something out to preserve the copyright, but they won't expend the effort on a large-scale, worldwide release. I would love to hear the unreleased takes from JWH, and it would be great if there were something unexpected like some Basement tapes material that slipped through the cracks on the 2014 BS release, or a jam-session with the Bengali Bauls who appeared with Bob on the cover of JWH (I have seen a rumor that Purna Das Baul has a tape of the session, but no idea if there is any truth to it.)

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 21:30 GMT 

It's a two edged sword to do the mini release for copyright. A lot of people end up getting it anyway with sinister means.

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 22:26 GMT 

Sinister? Ok, sinister. You got me there.
Can you afford the limited version of the Cutting Edge? If the answer is yes, ok. You are so lucky. If the answer is NO. Well, I hope you never try to listen to it using sinister means. We are rock and roll people or what? 8)

PostPosted: Fri March 3rd, 2017, 22:35 GMT 

mikeja75 wrote:
October 17, 2016

Some of the 1962–1964 material was in the hands of collectors, even though it was not circulating freely. So it was not considered "safe" and released as part of the "50th Anniversary Collections" to keep European "out-of-copyright" labels from buying it from the collectors and releasing it. The 1965/66 material is extremely popular and by releasing all of it (even though most of it was "safe") and thus securing the copyright Dylan's people/Sony can further exploit it commercially when and if they see fit. As to the "John Wesley Harding" sessions – a "source" told "Rolling Stone" that they know that none of the material is in the hands of collectors, so it is out of reach of the European "out-of-copyright" labels. Furthermore there are not a lot of alternate takes and the existing ones are very similar to the master takes. My conclusion therefore is that they do not intend to exploit the material via regular commercial channels in the future and do not need to worry about copyrights and will not release it as part of a "50th Anniversary Collection" (the wording in "Rolling Stone" is quite clear and "Rolling Stone" gets first hand information from Dylan's people). But since the Archive people in Tulsa have made specific reference to the "John Wesley Harding" sessions, I think that those sessions and probably other batches of selected material from subsequent years will be kept out of regular commercial channels to be made available exclusively in some way at the museum itself. While it has been said that Dylan's people/Sony retain the right to release any material from the Archive as they see fit, part of the deal probably was that the Archive gets to select some material for exclusive use as part of presentations/exhibitions at the museum.

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 00:10 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Sinister? Ok, sinister. You got me there.
Can you afford the limited version of the Cutting Edge? If the answer is yes, ok. You are so lucky. If the answer is NO. Well, I hope you never try to listen to it using sinister means. We are rock and roll people or what? 8)

Me, afford TCE?

No way, no how.

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 00:37 GMT 

Do you want to come into the sinester world? There is a lot of fun inide the dark side... But I guess you know this thing so well. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 01:56 GMT 

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
Do you want to come into the sinester world? There is a lot of fun inide the dark side... But I guess you know this thing so well. :wink:

I think we've already said too much..........