Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 11:09 GMT 

There's no words that need to be said

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dylan-beach-boys-hall-of-fame-round-one/

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 13:12 GMT 

I'm surprised it's even close, though I like the Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson in particular - a true genius and very interesting story.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 13:35 GMT 

Yeah, considering how passé are the Boy'$ $tylings & how 'current' dylan remains (everything' s relative), I'd point to the lingering memories of rock critic lists in the minds of the 45+ demo, almost all of which have persisted in keeping Pet Sounds perennially planted in the top 5.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 20:30 GMT 

This is only round one for The Ultimate Classic Rock Hall of Fame and it will result in either Dylan or The Beach Boys being eliminated? I'd submit that their methodology is lacking.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 20:51 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
This is only round one for The Ultimate Classic Rock Hall of Fame and it will result in either Dylan or The Beach Boys being eliminated? I'd submit that their methodology is lacking.

Yeah, really. Looking at the other bands in the brackets, these two should easily be the finalists.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 21:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

That's all? When did this start? I missed out on voting for some of my favorite bands. I voted for Dylan, quite naturally.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 15:36 GMT 

bubbly waves wrote:
Yeah, really. Looking at the other bands in the brackets, these two should easily be the finalists.

Bob looks safe - it'll be Bob vs. the Moodies next week. Meanwhile the Yardbirds making a respectable showing in a doomed cause.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 16:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

Notice Bob's the only one who's done it on his own?

Which is why he's at the top of the food chain. 8)

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 03:27 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:

bubbly waves wrote:

Bob looks safe - it'll be Bob vs. the Moodies next week. Meanwhile the Yardbirds making a respectable showing in a doomed cause.

How the hell do the Moody Blues beat The Who? And Bob only beats the Beach Boys by 3 percent? Is this a poll of Smooth FM radio program directors?

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 04:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Effing polls mostly run by people who weren't even born when the records came out -i bet these two will still be in the poll in 50 years unlike most 'modern' music, obviously Bob - Brian would almost certainly agree and Mike Love just doesn't count, even on the insect plane.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 06:40 GMT 

Don't forget they're allowing one vote an hour to encourage hero-worship multicasting of ballots a la the MLB All-Star Game. Many nerds worship at feet of the Moodies methinks.

EDIT: HOLY ALGORE The Beach Boys have pulled ahead by half a percentile

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 13:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

Mike Love is sitting in an office full of poorly paid mexicans all voting 'beach boys' over and over again. The Moody Blues is just insane and proves this poll is a complete farce, but are't they all?

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 16:24 GMT 

I'm glad the Who is losing. I mean, have you guys actually listened to Tommy? It's such a terrible album.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 16:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

Have YOU listened to anything PRE Tommy? or to Live At Leeds.... I hated Tommy too, and pretty much everything after but bejesus they were a really fantastic band. Live At Leeds, ideally the cd without the Tommy section, will rock the pants right offa your leg

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 16:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
Have YOU listened to anything PRE Tommy? or to Live At Leeds.... I hated Tommy too, and pretty much everything after but bejesus they were a really fantastic band. Live At Leeds, ideally the cd without the Tommy section, will rock the pants right offa your leg

Wot 'e sed. Wiv knobs on! 8)

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:01 GMT 
Mercury Member

That's KNOBS..... ON! And marshalls at 11 minimum.... i've gotta go listen to some, to me 'I Can See For Miles' may be the best single ever by four white boys.

Not sure this is what they had in mind, but LISTEN very loud indeed...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0iqg2UanEc

Last edited by slimtimslide on Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:11 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:06 GMT 
Senior Moderator

slimtimslide wrote:
Mike Love is sitting in an office full of poorly paid mexicans all voting 'beach boys' over and over again.

Brilliant! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:08 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I only ever listen to Pet Sounds - one of their only albums worth listening to. Comparing they're work to Dylan's is ridiculous. They don't even come close.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:12 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Well, yes, I've listened to a lot I their music. I think it really just boils down to me not liking the Who. I love "I Can't Explain", but that was just them imitating the Kinks. "Maryanne with a Shaky Hand" is a good song, and I like "Dogs" and "I Can See for Miles". But that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

Actually i love the Beach Boys and was lucky enough to get around 14 off their early albums as promo white label CD's when they got re-released as double-packs about ten years back - but Mike Love is beyond dislike, I would happily shoot him on sight, I hope that isn't against rules - he is loathsome, like a centipede in ones sleeping bag. Pet Sounds is great, have you heard the vocal only version from the box set? It is almost all Brian and utterly heartbreakingly fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:19 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Mike Love is sitting in an office full of poorly paid mexicans all voting 'beach boys' over and over again.

LOL and Chinese-made organic robotoids
bubbly waves wrote:
I'm glad the Who is losing. I mean, have you guys actually listened to Tommy? It's such a terrible album.

Their exploration of the concept album was pretty groundbreaking in spite of mixed results. The culture's unfettered love for Who's Next suggests the others don't quite cut the mustard - but how many bands can release such a successful collection of castaways as 'Odds and Sods'?

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:20 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I only ever listen to Pet Sounds - one of their only albums worth listening to. Comparing they're work to Dylan's is ridiculous. They don't even come close.

I think just about everything they released up to 1977 is worth listening to. Brian's musical genius is comparable to Bob's lyrical genius.

Last edited by bubbly waves on Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:31 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

bubbly waves wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:
Well, yes, I've listened to a lot I their music. I think it really just boils down to me not liking the Who. I love "I Can't Explain", but that was just them imitating the Kinks. "Maryanne with a Shaky Hand" is a good song, and I like "Dogs" and "I Can See for Miles". But that's about it.

fair enough - i certainly like the songs you chose! But I know people who went on to become London scenesters who saw them at their prime in the Marquee and it changed their lives, seriously. Until the Who 'pop art' hadn't really existed in the UK, and the sight and sound of them onstage just blew peoples brains out - they broke barriers of all sorts, artistic musical and even sexual. I do not like Tommy or anything much that came after but I think 'The Who Sell Out' is one of the best records ever made and their first album is pretty darned cool too. And Moon is up there with the finest jazz drummers as a backbone - simply brilliant. It's primal - there are bootlegs around of their 20 minute Smokestack Lightning from those days that defy belief.... a very important band in the history of our music because of those early days of amphetamine glory.

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 17:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

^ and "imitating the Kinks"? Whaaat?! Do be serious Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss waves. They were approaching their art at the same time as the Muswell Hillbillies, from their very own individual standpoint, and with a totally individual output. That's like saying that -oh, I don't know - like King Size Taylor & His Dominoes were "imitating the Beatles". Balderdash old bean. :D

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 18:24 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:
^ and "imitating the Kinks"? Whaaat?! Do be serious Mr/Ms/Mrs/Miss waves. They were approaching their art at the same time as the Muswell Hillbillies, from their very own individual standpoint, and with a totally individual output. That's like saying that -oh, I don't know - like King Size Taylor & His Dominoes were "imitating the Beatles". Balderdash old bean. :D

"It can't be beat for straightforward Kink copying." - Pete Townshend :D