Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 09:51 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2014, 18:42 GMT 

He has been said to have been very hurt after Pete Seeger tried to take the axe to the wiring when he was playing electric in Newport '65.

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2014, 19:16 GMT 

TheGunfighter wrote:
after Pete Seeger tried to take the axe to the wiring when he was playing electric in Newport '65.

There are various reports on this story, some of them contradict the above version of events.

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2014, 19:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

There was that time Albert Grossman came in and grabbed all of Bob's harmonicas and stomped and flattened them with his considerable girth. Then Bob went around crying like a six year old little girl until Albert bought him some new ones.

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2014, 19:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

If Bob Dylan is a fictional character - as opposed to Robert Zimmerman who was a real human with a history - i wonder how many of his feelings are real or simply grist for the mill of this creativity that forms the persona we purchase. Writers lead a very lonely life, spending most nights (somehow it is usually nights) alone and staring at a blank screen or piece of paper.... it is not a glamorous existence. BUT if a character in a fictional work is to evoke feeling in others then it has to be capable of reducing it's inventor to tears of rage or sorrow etc.... therefore I would argue that whoever or whatever Bob Dylan really is - then yes, he has succeeded in creating a character capable of feelings which can be both hurt and exhilarated...... am I right? Bob alone knows, but I doubt there are many people left who recall the original human anyway, including himself - that could be both a very lonesome or a very comfortable place to be..... I can only reach anything approaching such a state with the extreme use of drugs, which I would not suggest is a good road to follow. In my perception Bob Dylan is a character in a folk song........ if you can't imagine your one true love as a swan you mistakenly shot and forever grieved for you really don't 'get' Dylan. Of course I refer to Polly Vaughn. But the threads leading question is far more convoluted than it first appears to be.... Good!

PostPosted: Sat November 15th, 2014, 20:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
- then yes, he has succeeded in creating a character capable of feelings

Understatement of the year probably. Bob Dylan is feelings - lots of them.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 05:16 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
If you have seen him do Forgetful Heart live then you know he can be hurt :cry:

Good answer. He could do it as an instrumental and I'd still believe you. The sorrowful harp blows are enough. I'll never forget hearing him play it in Seattle in 2009.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 09:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

His lost months without Suze and the significance of his constant playing of "Tomorrow is a long time" and the most moving live performance of his career IMO