Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed May 23rd, 2018, 02:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri February 2nd, 2018, 18:11 GMT 

Nearly missed it thanks to low-key promotion for the UK leg of the tour (no reviews that I could see) but I had the great pleasure of catching Larry Campbell and his wife Teresa Williams' performance last Sunday in London at Nell's Jazz and Blues in West Kensington.

A very nice acoustic set of originals, covers and instrumentals, interspersed with lots of talking and to-and-fro between a doting husabnd and wife (miraculous for 30 years). It was shame that only about 100 people caught what Campbell said was his first small gig in town. He's a terrific player and his wife has a fine voice and I very much enjoyed their between-song recollections of Levon Helm, affectionate chat about UK and Irish roots music, and other topics.

There were a few Bob references although the first mention of his name hardly raised an eyebrow never mind a cheer - I'd assumed most of the audience would be Bobsessives trying to get close to the flame. Campbell said that he had written one song while on tour with Dylan playing the big halls and desperately trying not to "retox" while still full of after-show adrenaline by playing guitar and composing at the back of the tour bus. He also recollected Dylan being given the (Lost Notebooks) sheaf of songs by Hank Williams' granddaughter Holly and mentioned the fact that initially the plan was to do all the songs himself but Dylan then decided to share the love and laid down just one song himself.

Some trivia: Campbell and Williams clearly adored their time on the Levin Helm Midnight Rambles and paid tribute by covering Poor Old Dirt Farmer and The Band's Long Black Veil. Campbell arrived with wife and manager off the street on a chilly Sunday night and both seems remarkably unaffected. The hair remains immaculately coiffured...

If you get the chance, do see this fine act.

PostPosted: Fri February 2nd, 2018, 18:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Welcome Newcastle!
Glad you got to see this show!
These type of low key, easy entrance, wicked good music
shows are one of life’s small victories that I live for.

I copied you over to be with the rest of the gang talking about it.
There’s even photos!

Take a look:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=92773&p=1798991#p1798991

PostPosted: Sat February 3rd, 2018, 17:10 GMT 

NewcastleMartin wrote:
Nearly missed it thanks to low-key promotion for the UK leg of the tour (no reviews that I could see) but I had the great pleasure of catching Larry Campbell and his wife Teresa Williams' performance last Sunday in London at Nell's Jazz and Blues in West Kensington.

A very nice acoustic set of originals, covers and instrumentals, interspersed with lots of talking and to-and-fro between a doting husabnd and wife (miraculous for 30 years). It was shame that only about 100 people caught what Campbell said was his first small gig in town. He's a terrific player and his wife has a fine voice and I very much enjoyed their between-song recollections of Levon Helm, affectionate chat about UK and Irish roots music, and other topics.

There were a few Bob references although the first mention of his name hardly raised an eyebrow never mind a cheer - I'd assumed most of the audience would be Bobsessives trying to get close to the flame. Campbell said that he had written one song while on tour with Dylan playing the big halls and desperately trying not to "retox" while still full of after-show adrenaline by playing guitar and composing at the back of the tour bus. He also recollected Dylan being given the (Lost Notebooks) sheaf of songs by Hank Williams' granddaughter Holly and mentioned the fact that initially the plan was to do all the songs himself but Dylan then decided to share the love and laid down just one song himself.

Some trivia: Campbell and Williams clearly adored their time on the Levin Helm Midnight Rambles and paid tribute by covering Poor Old Dirt Farmer and The Band's Long Black Veil. Campbell arrived with wife and manager off the street on a chilly Sunday night and both seems remarkably unaffected. The hair remains immaculately coiffured...

If you get the chance, do see this fine act.

I was at this show too, it was great! You summed up the evening really well.

PostPosted: Sat February 3rd, 2018, 23:52 GMT 

Saw Van Morrison at Nells twice. Great venue. Was tempted by this show but it fell on a work night. Wish I'd made the effort now.

PostPosted: Sun February 4th, 2018, 16:43 GMT 

Wish Dylan would have made the entire LP of Hank's songs. A love that faded was nice but I want more.