Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed February 21st, 2018, 19:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 04:11 GMT 

See also my own topic on the matter, which compares the three major bootlegs (A Tree With Roots, The Basement Reels, The Genuine Basement Tapes) against TBS11. Another post in the topic also compares all the leftover instrumentals and The Band material.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91363

I ended up adding two extra discs to my version of TBS11, but almost none of it was from ATWR. Disc 7 containing 18 unique Band or other tracks. Disc 8 containing 19 unique instrumental tracks.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 04:59 GMT 

I didn't read through the whole topic so maybe someone mentioned this already, but I searched all 3 pages for "allen" with no result, so I'll assume it hasn't come up.

"See you later, Allen Ginsburg" is incomplete on Bootleg Series 14. It starts partway into it, AFTER Richard Manuel first says the now-famous title/punchline. In fact, it beings right before Dylan first says it. I believe this was done to make it seem like Bob himself came up with the joke.

In any case, we lose the moment when the gag first comes to life, as well as Bob laughing in response. A real shame. IMO, hearing Bob crack up into laughter is the best part of "See You Later, Allen Ginsburg".

I know there are a few other bits missing from BS14, like the short intrumental jams, and some of the chatter. The talk between the 2 tries at "I'm A Fool For You" comes to mind (or was it "All You Have To Do Is Dream"? Or both?).

So no, Tree With Roots is NOT obsolete!

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 06:07 GMT 

Sorry, I mean Bootleg Series 11, not 14.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 08:15 GMT 

The Reasoner wrote:
I didn't read through the whole topic so maybe someone mentioned this already, but I searched all 3 pages for "allen" with no result, so I'll assume it hasn't come up.

"See you later, Allen Ginsburg" is incomplete on Bootleg Series 14. It starts partway into it, AFTER Richard Manuel first says the now-famous title/punchline. In fact, it beings right before Dylan first says it. I believe this was done to make it seem like Bob himself came up with the joke.

In any case, we lose the moment when the gag first comes to life, as well as Bob laughing in response. A real shame. IMO, hearing Bob crack up into laughter is the best part of "See You Later, Allen Ginsburg".

I know there are a few other bits missing from BS14, like the short intrumental jams, and some of the chatter. The talk between the 2 tries at "I'm A Fool For You" comes to mind (or was it "All You Have To Do Is Dream"? Or both?).

So no, Tree With Roots is NOT obsolete!

Good point. Had me checking to ensure I still had ATWR on my external HD. I'm not going to erase it knowing that valuable little details like that are unique to it. Welcome to ER.