Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 10:07 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon September 29th, 2014, 18:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
I thought they dropped Prof Rick's.... notes?

It says edited and with an introduction by Christopher Ricks on the blurb on Amazon.co.uk. That also lists Ricks as the editor and Dylan, and Lisa Nemrow and Julie Nemrow as authors. I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that the annotation may come from the Nemrows.

Hungryhoss wrote:
But in mine and littlemaggie's free version, we have changed key words for types of monkey, Trevor. This alone is worth the price of admission.

That is pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon September 29th, 2014, 18:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

where's the part where we begin complaining about the price?

PostPosted: Mon September 29th, 2014, 19:20 GMT 

They are charging people for something you can find for free on Google??? How is that fair???

PostPosted: Mon September 29th, 2014, 19:31 GMT 

I hope they include the Visions Of Johanna from 2002 where we sh*t here stranded.

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 09:32 GMT 

Any opinions on the slightly different (amazon-) prices in different countries?

US: $ 128,74 (€ 102,05)
UK: £ 81,25 (€ 104,36)
GER: € 34,95 ($ 44,09; £ 27,21; DM 68,36)

This cannot be, can it? So I ordered the item with amazon.de and at the moment the estimated delivery date is given as Oct. 12

And, before you ask, it's the hardcover, not the kindle.

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 09:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

h.egbert wrote:

This cannot be, can it? So I ordered the item with amazon.de and at the moment the estimated delivery date is given as Oct. 12

That's 2015 though, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 09:58 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
h.egbert wrote:

That's 2015 though, isn't it?

argggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (I never learnt to read or write).

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 10:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sorry. :| I ordered it there too, but then again at ISIS, which I suppose is the safest way to go with that.

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 10:44 GMT 

In terms of aesthetics, this should be a nice-looking book. The Nemrow sisters run the Un-Gyve Press it seems...

http://un-gyvepress.tumblr.com/

According to this article, they are friends with Christopher Ricks...

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/catego ... year-wait/

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 14:41 GMT 

http://www.bookdepository.com/Lyrics-Bob-Dylan/9781451648768

Book Depository says "Pre Order 366 days to go"? Can that be correct? Or an error?

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 15:50 GMT 

I just checked my tracking number for
my actual order from Book Depository (from back in July).
The order confirmation lists October 28, 2014 as the release date
and Ricks, Nemrow, and Nemrow as the editors.

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 17:19 GMT 

If they are half decent editors, they will have cut half the verses out of 'Tempest'. But I doubt they have actually edited anything at all.

PostPosted: Wed October 1st, 2014, 14:08 GMT 

EdRicardo wrote:
http://www.bookdepository.com/Lyrics-Bob-Dylan/9781451648768

Book Depository says "Pre Order 366 days to go"? Can that be correct? Or an error?

that link tells me that they are selling the book for $56 SGD (which is £28) with free delivery to Singapore.
can that be right ?

PostPosted: Wed October 1st, 2014, 14:16 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
If they are half decent editors, they will have cut half the verses out of 'Tempest'. But I doubt they have actually edited anything at all.

Yeah, good point. What's to edit?

PostPosted: Wed October 1st, 2014, 16:05 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
If they are half decent editors, they will have cut half the verses out of 'Tempest'

Bad place to say that... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed October 1st, 2014, 16:15 GMT 

Actually, I've changed my mind, this new book is an excellent idea - it means you can get rid of all that inconvenient music.

Using speed-reading techniques, you can now listen to all of Bob Dylan's albums - even the tediously epic ones like Modern Times, or the insane Christian ones - with your eyes, in a fraction of the time it used to take with your ears!

Sorted.

PostPosted: Wed October 1st, 2014, 17:29 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
Actually, I've changed my mind, this new book is an excellent idea - it means you can get rid of all that inconvenient music.

Using speed-reading techniques, you can now listen to all of Bob Dylan's albums - even the tediously epic ones like Modern Times, or the insane Christian ones - with your eyes, in a fraction of the time it used to take with your ears!

Sorted.

Uh... Shut up.

PostPosted: Wed October 1st, 2014, 17:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

kybo8845 wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

Sorted.

Uh... Shut up.

I'll be buying "The Lyrics" come spring or summer, because I know I'll end up paying 30 € in library fines year later if my experiences with the last collection are a measure. I feel it's a sign of my appreciation for his genius to have the printed form easily accesible on the shelf to dip into. To see it as replacable somehow by the websites is beyond me, sorry. I'm looking forward to reading the first page, even if it's teenage doggerel about Brigitte Bardot and literally everything from there on very slowly until Roll on John
(assuming there are no big surprises)

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 03:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Most of Bob Dylan
By Allan Kozinn
When music fans in the 1960s described Bob Dylan’s songs, in terminology of the day, as “heavy,” they didn’t know the half of it.

A hefty new edition of Mr. Dylan’s collected work, “The Lyrics: Since 1962,” due from Simon & Schuster in November, is slightly larger than an LP, more than 960 pages long, and weighs about 13 and a half pounds. It’s actually the more affordable of two limited editions — a printing of 3,500 copies (500 are for the British market) — and will sell for $200. A numbered edition of 50 copies, each signed by Mr. Dylan, will have a slipcase and gilded pages; that edition is priced at $5,000.

“It’s the biggest, most expensive book we’ve ever published, as far as I know,” Jonathan Karp, Simon & Schuster’s president and publisher said. The signed edition is available from dylansignedbook.com; the $200 version will be available in bookshops.

he book is not simply an update of the previous compilation, “Lyrics: 1962-2001.” Christopher Ricks, a British literary scholar on the faculty of Boston University (and the author of the 2003 analytical overview, “Dylan’s Visions of Sin”), edited the lyrics and wrote a lengthy, philosophical introduction, with the sisters Lisa and Julie Nemrow as co-editors.

The Nemrows, who run a design company and imprint, Un-Gyve Press, also created the book’s luxurious layout. The songs are presented chronologically, including alternative versions released as part of Mr. Dylan’s archival “Bootleg Series.” The album covers, front and back, are reproduced.

The way the songs are laid out is meant “to help the eye see what the ear hears,” Mr. Ricks said. “If you print the songs flush left,” he added, “it doesn’t represent, visually, the audible experience.” So refrains, choruses and bridges are indented. And where Mr. Dylan intended a line, however long, to be unbroken, it sprawls across the 13-inch-wide page.

How did the editors know which lines were meant to be unbroken? Did Mr. Dylan provide feedback or comments? Mr. Karp said he had heard that Mr. Dylan provided notebooks and manuscripts. Mr. Ricks refused to elaborate.

“I think the right thing for us,” he said, “is not to go into the question of the particular kinds of help and assistance and advice that we were in a position to receive.”

The editors’ other mission was to show the different ways Mr. Dylan has performed the songs over time, or even at a single recording session. When a song’s previously published lyrics differ from what Mr. Dylan sang on the original recording, the differences are noted. So are differences that crop up on officially released live recordings, or outtakes from the “Bootleg Series.” (Only officially released albums are considered.)

“Some of the changes were minute things — a telling change of preposition, perhaps — which make a gigantic difference,” Mr. Ricks said. Others include added or deleted verses, or show Mr. Dylan’s composition process at work. The version of “Tombstone Blues” on “Highway 61 Revisited,” for example, opens with the lines: “Well John the Baptist, after torturing a thief.” An annotation shows that in an alternative version, released on “The Bootleg Series, Vol. 7,” Mr. Dylan sings: “Ah, John the blacksmith, he’s torturing a thief.”

Who does Mr. Ricks regard as the audience for the book?

“It is, in a way, a work of scholarship,” he said. “But it is also a book for people who love these songs, and who would be grateful to be reminded that these songs are always in a state of extraordinary flux. They’re amazing, shape-changing things.”
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/ ... blogs&_r=0

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 03:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

“This book changes things, giving us the words from officially released studio and live recordings, as well as selected variant lyrics and revisions to these, recent revisions and retrospective ones; and, from the archives, words that, till now, have not been published,” said Mr. Ricks in a statement."

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/10/ ... 2-for-200/

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 07:50 GMT 

I'm sold.

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 08:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Gonna need to refinance again with all this Dylan stuff going on.

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 10:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Gilded pages.... :roll:

Is it just me or is he mainly trading in signatures these days? I mean, harmonicas, ltd ed art prints, art books, lyric books, blah...

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 10:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Giada wrote:
signed by Mr. Dylan, will have a slipcase and gilded pages; that edition is priced at $5,000.

Oy vey...

PostPosted: Wed October 8th, 2014, 11:27 GMT 

Well I ordered from Amazon DE a la Mr Egbert, I'll wait a year to get it at that price. Mmm thinking about it, I suppose it might be that price anyway this time next year. Ah well nothing ventured and all that jazz.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next