Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 16:57 GMT 

Illy Dylan wrote:
Amazon UK Listing has been Updated with a Date, November 6th, and description(including who is doing the annotations):

Quote:
This definitive collection brings together the entire catalogue of lyrics by one of the most legendary songwriters in history, Bob Dylan. From the early protest songs, like "Blowing in the Wind" and "The Times They Are a Changing" to his revolutionary "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Like a Rolling Stone", Dylan's music has spoken for and to generations, and influenced such artists as John Lennon, Lou Reed, and Mark Knopfler. This is the ultimate collection for any Dylan fan, and contains not only the entire Dylan canon, from the early classics to all of his most recent songs, but also in-depth commentary and annotations from literary critic and acclaimed Dylan expert Christopher Ricks.

D'OH!

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 16:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

*sigh* :|

PostPosted: Thu February 20th, 2014, 17:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Illy Dylan wrote:
Amazon UK Listing has been Updated with a Date, November 6th, and description(including who is doing the annotations):

Quote:
This definitive collection brings together the entire catalogue of lyrics by one of the most legendary songwriters in history, Bob Dylan. From the early protest songs, like "Blowing in the Wind" and "The Times They Are a Changing" to his revolutionary "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Like a Rolling Stone", Dylan's music has spoken for and to generations, and influenced such artists as John Lennon, Lou Reed, and Mark Knopfler. This is the ultimate collection for any Dylan fan, and contains not only the entire Dylan canon, from the early classics to all of his most recent songs, but also in-depth commentary and annotations from literary critic and acclaimed Dylan expert Christopher Ricks.

'the entire catalogue of lyrics... From the early protest songs, like "Blowing in the Wind" and "The Times They Are a Changing" to his revolutionary "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Like a Rolling Stone"'

I wish that'd read something like 'from his early protest songs... to his latest modern classics' as opposed to presuming that Dylan's cannon somehow ended in 1966.

PostPosted: Fri February 21st, 2014, 04:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

congrats Mr.Ricks!

PostPosted: Fri February 21st, 2014, 07:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
I wish that'd read something like 'from his early protest songs... to his latest modern classics' as opposed to presuming that Dylan's cannon somehow ended in 1966.

This.
That doesn't sound complete to me at all...no mention even for the mid-'70s work that at least some normal people might be aware of.

PostPosted: Fri February 21st, 2014, 08:19 GMT 
Senior Moderator

To be fair, the publisher's blurb is advertising copy which mentions a few well known songs rather than a considered critical assessment of Dylan's career as a lyricist. An ER member might have written it a bit differently, but we're not the target of that piece of copy, we're already pre-sold! :)

PostPosted: Sat April 19th, 2014, 17:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev wrote:
This book is a speculative listing, and it will probably come to naught, but I wish they would annotate the lyrics on the bobdylan.com site.

Oh yeah? Bob Dylan Examiner has a link to the the Simon and Schuster website : http://books.simonandschuster.co.uk/Com ... JvkFE.dpuf

This is very exciting, especially if it's true that Christopher Ricks, universally loved on this site, is the annotator. I expect the Nobel Prize is now a formality.

PostPosted: Sat April 19th, 2014, 18:24 GMT 

I'm seeing so many laughing emoticons in this thread, I'm starting to think I'm in a crazy carnival! Anyway, all the silly sarcasm aside, this is wonderful --and welcome--news!

PostPosted: Mon April 21st, 2014, 01:50 GMT 

well, that is Christmas sorted.

still no news of BOTT Bootleg Series release though ? :cry:

PostPosted: Mon April 21st, 2014, 02:02 GMT 

I really don't understand why everyone's in such heated anticipation of the next volume of the bootleg series. If you look at the previous releases they're all spaced out...usually by two years or more. It hasn't even been a year yet since Another Self Portrait was released.

PostPosted: Mon April 21st, 2014, 02:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

This looks like a fascinating project. If it really is complete it's going to be one long book even without annotations. I'm glad Ricks got the job, even though he kind of botched his own book he's got great ideas and unimpeachable credentials. I'm also glad they're doing this because it will probably be another spur for BD to put out a new album just to make sure it's out of date as soon as possible - preferably before it's even published!

PostPosted: Mon April 21st, 2014, 03:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

One long book : 768 pages.
http://books.simonandschuster.co.uk/Com ... 1471137099
Marvellous.

PostPosted: Mon April 21st, 2014, 04:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Trev wrote:
One long book : 768 pages.
http://books.simonandschuster.co.uk/Com ... 1471137099
Marvellous.

Yeah well, it should be a big book, containing all those lyrics. I'm wondering how "complete" this one will be, compared to previous collections.

PostPosted: Mon April 21st, 2014, 04:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wonder how "in-depth" the annotations/commentary will be. Will it be so "in-depth" to be about every song? Probably by the album or something of the likes.

PostPosted: Wed June 11th, 2014, 11:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Is The Lyrics: Since 1962 a different book, or did they just change the title? I've seen this on a few different sites now.

PostPosted: Wed June 11th, 2014, 11:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Is The Lyrics: Since 1962 a different book, or did they just change the title? I've seen this on a few different sites now.

Appears to be one and the same, since the listing I've seen lists Christopher Ricks as one of this book's two editors.

PostPosted: Wed June 11th, 2014, 11:34 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

As Ricks is listed as an editor and the blurb is the same as before, it looks like they just changed the title? EDIT: Trev got there first..

Not sure if "since 1962" (as opposed to "1962-2012" or sth) is a good title for a lyrics collection, assuming there's going to be more output in the future...

PostPosted: Wed June 11th, 2014, 23:43 GMT 

Anyone else think that this might be shite?

PostPosted: Thu June 12th, 2014, 00:09 GMT 

I saw Mr Ricks in that academic symposium panel talk posted here recently. I found him slightly pretentious ... & can I say the word..bullshit!

Hopefully with all the songs , complete, he'll have to get to the point succinctly.

I enjoyed reading some of this....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Dylan-Stories-Behind-1962-1969/dp/1847327591/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402531446&sr=8-1&keywords=Bob+Dylan%3A+The+Stories+Behind+the+Songs+1962-1969
..because the author clearly doesn't have a clue what some of the songs are about and makes it up.
Mr Ricks seems to be a master of that...

However, I do like Mr Gill for giving us this gem....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Twist-Fate-Making-Tracks/dp/0306814137/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402531717&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Thu June 12th, 2014, 01:53 GMT 

WoollyRockers wrote:

Just finished reading this after your recommendation a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it. A very entertaining book, it gives a good account of the excellent musicianship shown by all involved.

PostPosted: Tue July 8th, 2014, 19:24 GMT 

I see Amazon UK say that the RRP of this tome is £125, though they are offering it at a cool £30 right now. AND it's 1,034 pages long....

PostPosted: Tue July 8th, 2014, 21:05 GMT 

Ricks has many insightful things to say and Dylan's Visions of Sin, while on the whole a bit too fawning and a bit too precious, remains one of the most penetrating critical analyses of Bob's work. That makes this, at face value, excellent news. But as others have noted, much will depend on how deep the annotations go, and on the degree to which Ricks can refrain from idiosyncratic readings as opposed to well-documented ones. In an ideal universe, he would include particularly noteworthy alternate lyrics where these have been performed live, in addition to pointing out where the written text deviates from what he actually sings on the album. These two contributions alone would be a huge service to posterity.

PostPosted: Wed July 9th, 2014, 19:07 GMT 

That is a great price for a hardback copy with free postage.

A major publishing event - a beautiful, comprehensive collection of the lyrics of Bob Dylan with artwork from thirty-three albums, edited and with an introduction by Christopher Ricks. As it was well put by Al Kooper (the man behind the organ on 'Like a Rolling Stone'), 'Bob is the equivalent of William Shakespeare. What Shakespeare did in his time, Bob does in his time.' Christopher Ricks, editor of T. S. Eliot, Samuel Beckett, Tennyson, and The Oxford Book of English Verse, has no argument with Mr. Kooper's assessment, and Dylan is attended to accordingly in this authoritative edition of his lyrics. In the words of Ricks: 'For fifty years, all the world has delighted in Bob Dylan's books of words and more than words: provocative, mysterious, touching, baffling, not-to-be-pinned-down, intriguing, and a reminder that genius is free to do as it chooses. And, again and again, these are not the words that he sings on the initially released albums.' This edition changes things, giving us the words from officially released studio and live recordings, as well as selected variant lyrics and revisions to these, recent revisions and retrospective ones; and, from the archives, words that, till now, have not been published. The Lyrics, edited with diligence by Christopher Ricks, Lisa Nemrow, and Julie Nemrow. As set down, as sung, and as sung again.

PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2014, 19:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2014, 21:16 GMT 

For those who would enjoy further speculation, here are a few links:

Amazon US = $180
http://www.amazon.com/Lyrics-Since-1962-Bob-Dylan/dp/1476797706/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405372218&sr=1-1&keywords=dylan+lyrics+1962+ricks

Amazon UK = 125 Euro
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Annotated-Lyrics-Dylan/dp/1471137090

Some place called Book Depository = $44.70
http://www.bookdepository.com/Lyrics-Bob-Dylan/9781451648768

Explanations? Begin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next