Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 20:27 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat January 4th, 2014, 17:02 GMT 

HopE wrote:
Williamson wrote:

Back in those days Dylan's reputation was built almost entirely on his sixties oeuvre and Blood On The Tracks. Those were the records that counted. Nothing much has changed.

Thanks God this is not true for me.
I wouldn't be no longer interested in Bob, if the only counting oeuvre would be from the sixties.

Well, I'm not sure this has changed. His music from this period was what made him, and he's never equalled it over a prolonged period since, no doubts about that either. Not that we should be surprised - Dylan's run of music-making in the 1960s defined the whole decade, he was probably the single most influential creative artist working in any medium during that time.

I'm not writing off what he's done since but his sixties oeuvre is head and shoulders above much else that's stemmed from his pen.

PostPosted: Sat January 4th, 2014, 18:24 GMT 

Williamson wrote:

I'm not writing off what he's done since but his sixties oeuvre is head and shoulders above much else that's stemmed from his pen.

Sure: With his work of those days he could stand some less creative years; with his work from those days he could start again and again and at last win again.
But no, I wouldn't be content, if his today's songs would have lyrics like those of Hard Rain f.e. , such lyrics are part of the history of the sixties.
Maybe you can say, that in the early sixties he was more creative than later (unbelievable how many of the songs which defined him as "the" US-songwriter, were written then).
But such a creative explosion couldn't last for decades.
And - you understand what I mean - lots of songs from then till now are better than most of the oeuvre of other songwriters.
I am absolutely thrilled by Bob's work over meanwhile more than 45 years in which I had the chance to live with his albums (although there were years I didn't like his new albums and hoped for the next to come)

PostPosted: Sat January 11th, 2014, 23:08 GMT 

Oh Mercy's clearly the best one. Too moody for me to pull out often.
Infidels, especially if you add the outtakes, is a classic, but such a dark vibe.
Shot Of Love strikes me the same as it did the critics at the time, paranoid and bitter.
If Saved were a one off stab at gospel rather than tied into that weird Christian period, I'd love it.
I hate Empire Burlesque and everything it stands for. Dylan trying to be cool in an 80's way. Ugh.
I love Knocked Out Loaded and would vote for the outtakes to be the next Bootleg Series. Love it.
I want to love Down In The Groove, it's alright, Dylan plays classic rock & roll. But it's not that good.
Real Live is shithouse, they could definitely do a Bootleg Series proper live album from that tour. Great band.
Dylan & The Dead, ditto.

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 14:16 GMT 

davidotas wrote:
Oh Mercy's clearly the best one. Too moody for me to pull out often.
Infidels, especially if you add the outtakes, is a classic, but such a dark vibe.
Shot Of Love strikes me the same as it did the critics at the time, paranoid and bitter.
If Saved were a one off stab at gospel rather than tied into that weird Christian period, I'd love it.
I hate Empire Burlesque and everything it stands for. Dylan trying to be cool in an 80's way. Ugh.
I love Knocked Out Loaded and would vote for the outtakes to be the next Bootleg Series. Love it.
I want to love Down In The Groove, it's alright, Dylan plays classic rock & roll. But it's not that good.
Real Live is shithouse, they could definitely do a Bootleg Series proper live album from that tour. Great band.
Dylan & The Dead, ditto.

I agree with you on all of this pretty much, except Shot Of Love has Lenny Bruce on it, which helps redeem it some.
Saved is awful. Real Live IS garbage (I prefer your term for it). Empire Burlesque is absolute crap. The WORST.
Knocked Out Loaded has a undeserved bad rap, it's quite good.
Down In The Groove sounded pretty good on the first listen after hearing SO MUCH hatred for it, but further listens showed me it's just simply not that good. It's not his very worst though as many say.
I refuse to buy Dylan and The Dead, I felt bad enough after getting Real Live. I've heard it and that was one time more than enough.
Oh Mercy is the best '80s Dylan album. And Infidels is great especially License To Kill, which is a classic to me.

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 14:43 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:
Best: Oh Mercy
Worst: Knocked Out Loaded

I agree with both those choices. Ride 'em Cowboy!

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 19:33 GMT 

1. Oh Mercy - most focused effort of the bunch. Ring them bells, most of the time, Long Black Coat are near classics. Dignity and Series of Dreams should've been included.
2. Infidels - Rates pretty high on my overall list. For me, not a weak song on the album. Should've been even better
3. Shot Of Love - Groom's wasn't on the original so have a tough time including this now. Still one classic on it (every grain of sand) and some OK's.
4. Saved - always kinda liked Saved, Solid Rock, and In the Garden but they're kinda limp on the album versus various live versions. Not much else bears repeated listening.
5.Down In the Groove - Something about this I've always liked. Played it much more than the 3 under it. It's not a great artistic achievement but I've always liked listening to Let's Stick Together, Sally Sue Brown, Ugliest, Ninety Miles, Shenandoah, and Rank Strangers
6. Under The Red Sky - Unbelievable is the best song. Some OK's here but the band(s) and Dylan's voice are not good for the most part.
7. Knocked Out Loaded - I can listen to this one more than Empire. Think Brownsville is absolutely incredible. Also kinda like mind made up and maybe someday
8. Empire Burlesque - Can't stand the production. Way to much filler. The two standout songs are way better on the Bootleg Series.

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 23:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Best 80s Dylan albums (in no particular order)
Saved
Shot of Love
Infidels
Empire Burlesque
Knocked Out Loaded
Down in the Groove
Under the Red Sky
Oh Mercy

Worst 80s Dylan albums
??? I guess the one(s) he didn't release???

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 23:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Infidels
Oh Mercy
Shot Of Love
Empire Burlesque
Knocked Out Loaded
Saved
Down In The Groove

Other than random tracks here and there, I rarely listen to any of them though outside of Infidels and parts of Oh Mercy

PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 23:58 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Best 80s Dylan albums (in no particular order)
Saved
Shot of Love
Infidels
Empire Burlesque
Knocked Out Loaded
Down in the Groove
Under the Red Sky
Oh Mercy

Worst 80s Dylan albums
??? I guess the one(s) he didn't release???

On most days, I hate what Donald Trump has done to your spirit, Untrodden Path. But then I see a glimmer like this coming through the fog and I've got hope again.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 00:04 GMT 

1 Oh mercy
2 Shot of love
3 Infidels
4 Empire burlesque
5 Under the red sky
6 Saved
7 Knocked out loaded
8 Down in the groove

And I just realised... Wow! 8 albums in a decade (not counting the 2 live albums)!

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 00:47 GMT 

Empire Burlesque and Oh Mercy are the 2 best.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 01:27 GMT 

UTRS is an albun from the 80's? Why? 1990 belongs to the 80's? Why?

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 01:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
UTRS is an albun from the 80's? Why? 1990 belongs to the 80's? Why?

I don't understand why so many included it in their list either. It was both recorded and released in 1990.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 07:13 GMT 

1 Oh mercy, head and shoulders above all the rest
2 Infidels
3 Shot of love
4 Saved
5 Knocked out loaded
6 Empire burlesque
7 Down in the groove

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 07:54 GMT 

Oh Mercy best
Dylan and the Dead worst

This will be the easiest question I have to answer all week.

PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 10:25 GMT 

Best: Infidels

Worst: Down In The Groove
(the Dead if live are included)