Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 03:55 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 07:14 GMT 

I saw the other day in youtube an add announcing Scorsese's new fiction movie, planned for 2019 release (btw, for fans of Scorsese, it sounds very promising. Another mobster one with a ridiculous cast involving Pesci, Keitel, Pacino and De Niro!).

Not sure if this means that the RTR doc is off

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 15:01 GMT 

wormington wrote:
I saw the other day in youtube an add announcing Scorsese's new fiction movie, planned for 2019 release (btw, for fans of Scorsese, it sounds very promising. Another mobster one with a ridiculous cast involving Pesci, Keitel, Pacino and De Niro!).

That's the Irishman. Netflix coughed up big bucks$ for the rights.

I wouldn't think it's necessarily bad news for the RTR doc, though--always seems like Marty has a dozen projects going at once

PostPosted: Sat August 26th, 2017, 19:44 GMT 

slimharpo wrote:
wormington wrote:

That's the Irishman. Netflix coughed up big bucks$ for the rights.

I wouldn't think it's necessarily bad news for the RTR doc, though--always seems like Marty has a dozen projects going at once

"NDH" came out after "The Aviator" and "Before the Departed"; "Living in the Material World" after "Shuttter Island" and before "Hugo". (And off the top of my head, I think his NYRB 50th anniversary after "Hugo" and pre-"Wolf of Wall Street").

Also, it's worth noting that NDH is technically more of Scorsese's work as sculptor than outright director; Jeff Rosen compiled the footage, leaving it to Scorsese to shape.

PostPosted: Sat August 26th, 2017, 19:53 GMT 

Jeff seems to like these little side projects. He has several going on with Bob. If hes given it to Martin, it'll likely be similar to NDH, complete with interviews from the people who were there and perhaps Bobs current recollection of the shows. Maybe it'll even include an interview from Sara!

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 22:00 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Jeff seems to like these little side projects. He has several going on with Bob. If hes given it to Martin, it'll likely be similar to NDH, complete with interviews from the people who were there and perhaps Bobs current recollection of the shows. Maybe it'll even include an interview from Sara!

Amen! My hope for the next documentary, as a number of people have said (including me) previously, would be to cover 1966 (including the recording of Blonde on Blonde, which is not covered in NDH) and extend to 1976 and Dylan's appearance in the Last Waltz. There is a nice arc there and despite some protestations that have appeared in print years ago (from either Susan Lacey or Jeff Rosen) that there is a paucity of material from the Woodstock and 1970-1973 NYC period, I would say there is actually a wealth of material, by far enough to cover the Woodstock and NYC years before Rolling Thunder, and then culminating in Rolling Thunder.

A third volume would have a nice arc covering 1978-1987 (ending with the Locarno experience and the wound to the hand--whether mythical or not--that threatened Dylan before going back on the road in 1988).

The final volume could cover 1988 to present (whenever that present might be).

There is so much material there, now gathered and being catalogued in the archives, that could be assembled for some amazing future documentaries.

PostPosted: Thu October 19th, 2017, 05:42 GMT 

I just watched some segments from R&C on youtube. What a mess. It's just as bad as the VHS copy I bought in the 90's. The edits are horrible. The speed is fast. Everything is awkward. You can't hear what they're saying. It's blurry and it's like you're partly zoomed in, so you're missing part of the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if the version that's circulating was made with a 1970's video camera from the floor of a movie theater and they zoomed in to get rid of people's heads.