Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun May 27th, 2018, 03:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu October 24th, 2013, 03:05 GMT 

Hello All ER Members!

I'm posting this as a call to arms, a plea for help...

...for a gift, for my loved one, I would very much like to acquire a copy of Christmas in the Heart on vinyl. I had previously had my eye on a copy on Amoeba Music's website, but like I most often do I figured, "Who'd buy that? Its waiting for me!" but as I went to purchase it now, I see that my hesitation has caught up to me.

The copy is gone.

To reiterate the call to arms and plea, I'm asking if any of you, could keep your eyes open for a vinyl copy
. I know that only a select few of you collect vinyl but please, if you could, let me know if you see it, and I would love to figure out a transaction with one of you. If the price is fair, know now that I am good for the money and if you were good enough to purchase it on the spot, I would kindly pay for it with finders fee.

A last resort would be if any of you owners would part with it, but I have little hope for that because I too would part with very little vinyl, especially Dylan.

Thank you all, for what help you can lend, even if little. And I pray to whomever it concerns that a Christmas (in the Heart) miracle will cast itself upon me.

-Musty

PostPosted: Thu October 24th, 2013, 03:24 GMT 

Have you tried Amazon? http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Heart-1 ... 970&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Thu October 24th, 2013, 03:31 GMT 

lol, yes and no. I've looked there, but just like to support the record shops/vinyl lovers if possible. I also tend to keep away from too much online purchases from individual sellers because I've had a couple of bouts with identity theft/card number theft in the past.

Will definitely turn to it if needed though.

PostPosted: Thu October 24th, 2013, 18:36 GMT 

Musty wrote:
lol, yes and no. I've looked there, but just like to support the record shops/vinyl lovers if possible. I also tend to keep away from too much online purchases from individual sellers because I've had a couple of bouts with identity theft/card number theft in the past.

Will definitely turn to it if needed though.

Ok, I wasn't trying to be a smartass, but I just thought I'd mention it. I'm all for supporting the local record shops :)

PostPosted: Thu October 24th, 2013, 19:18 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I have a great record store in my area. I'll check for one next time I go. Probably won't be for a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu October 24th, 2013, 19:54 GMT 

i recently saw several on ebay

PostPosted: Fri October 25th, 2013, 21:22 GMT 

Wish I could help you, but I just picked this up on CD after the first copy I ordered got lost in the mail. Some of it is just hilarious, but I love this album as well.

PostPosted: Fri October 25th, 2013, 22:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

An odd thing it is that two of Dylan's greatest achievements after 50 years in the music business and such an incredibly storied career would include two of his last releases, one of which is the most spectacular Christmas album ever. Who'd have ever thought that would happen? 8)

I never acquired Christmas In the Heart in the vinyl because I no longer have a turntable but it seems to me that this album alone would justify the purchase of one.

PostPosted: Sat October 26th, 2013, 09:54 GMT 

Yup. The no doubt deliberate comedy value of tracks like Hark, The Herald Angels Sing and The First Noel don't obfuscate the fact that it contains some truly gorgeous material - Little Drummer Boy and Do You Hear What I Hear - and how top notch the people he's working with on this are. The Ditty Pops, who supply the gooey female harmonies, are worth checking out on Youtube. The album is half sincere and half ironic, in the way good Christmas albums ought to be, so who can blame Bob for tossing out this curveball? I honestly think it's a far better album than the somewhat business-as-usual Together Through Life.

PostPosted: Sat October 26th, 2013, 11:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

There's nothing ironic about Christmas In The Heart.

PostPosted: Sat October 26th, 2013, 14:51 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
There's nothing ironic about Christmas In The Heart.

Very true. What there is is denial and self-delusion, but not on Dylan's part. About the only true statement Sigmund Freud made (and maybe it's only attributed to him) was that 'sometimes a cigar is only a cigar'.

PostPosted: Sat October 26th, 2013, 17:46 GMT 

Not even any irony in the Bettie Page pinup that adorns the inner liner notes? In fact, I reckon that would be a good front cover. No irony in the video for Must Be Santa, then?

PostPosted: Sat October 26th, 2013, 18:23 GMT 

The Killer Snark wrote:
Not even any irony in the Bettie Page pinup that adorns the inner liner notes? In fact, I reckon that would be a good front cover. No irony in the video for Must Be Santa, then?

Are we talking about the songs or the accessories? If the latter, Betty Page certainly suits the forties-style, old-fashioned atmosphere from a time that pre-dated when post-modern notions of 'irony' crept from under its halls-of-academe stone into general discourse. Must Be Santa is about fun and enjoyment. No irony there. Don't misunderstand me, I agree that CITH is a wonderful album, but for its sincerity and grace.

PostPosted: Fri November 1st, 2013, 17:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

I just cracked mine out a few minutes ago.

It's never too early.

PostPosted: Sat November 2nd, 2013, 01:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

I doubt anoyone can know the depth of which I long for a Christmas In the Heart Television Special with Bob and Friends...

But I am hoping!

PostPosted: Tue April 24th, 2018, 12:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bettie Page's birthday was April 22, a couple of days ago. Somehow it passed without me remembering but it serves as an occasion to pull out Christmas In the Heart to give it a spin.

I cannot speak to Dylan's intent on why he chose Bettie Page to grace this wonderful album (inner sleeve) but if I remember correctly, she appeared in Playboy wearing only a Santa's cap, placing a present under a Christmas tree.