Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 17th, 2017, 21:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat January 4th, 2014, 10:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still waiting for reply from record store re. my replacement copy...

PostPosted: Mon January 6th, 2014, 00:04 GMT 

Probably gonna have to pick this up because I'll be livid if it goes out of print.

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 11:38 GMT 

So I finally bought it and I was more or less very happy but the tracks, being from different sources, are of varying quality. I have the original Biograph

Mixed Up Confusion sounds glorious, better than I have ever heard it. Really rocking sound with clear separation and punchy instruments.
Percy's Song and Lay Down sound really good and the harmonica is the best I've ever heard it sound on record.
I'll Keep It With Mine is dissapointingly thin, very little bass but nothing that bad.
Can You Please and 4th Street sound strong and rocking but I've found that they sounded similarly strong on Biograph (make of that what you will).
The live tracks sound pretty underwhelming, no worse than the CD but considerably weaker than the 1966 vinyl (which, to be fair is a different mix, recording and pressed on stupidly high quality vinyl.)
The Greatest Hits tracks I've never heard on vinyl so I don't have anything to compare them too. Although for what its worth the acoustic sessions don't sound as good as Only A Hobo on BS10 (but thats not that surprising).
River and Masterpiece are a bit heavy on the low end but I think that's how they're meant to sound.
The Blood On The Track songs are a very strong improvement on the CD but not quite up to the standards of the LP itself (I have a rare recent columbia 180g repressing).
Abandoned Love sounds brilliant, better than anything on Desire, although I don't have the MOV release, but I was very happy about this since it's one of my favourites.
The live '75 tracks are, like the 66 tracks not that good sound-wise but they're no worse than the CD so no loss there.
Caribbean Wind, one of my favourite Dylan songs is very strong. It's always been mixed with a lot of high end and that's true here but I think it has a bit more punch than the CD.
Heart of Mine is like the other live tracks, fine but nothing special.
The great surprise was Series of Dreams which sounds good on CD but just explodes on vinyl. Best I've ever heard it.
I don't know that version of Dignity well enough to compare but it sounds clear and punchy enough to me.
Things Have Changed is up to the standard I've come to expect of modern Dylan vinyl.

Those are just some quick observations, feel free to contradict.

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 12:19 GMT 

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:

Nothing to contradict.
Just wanted to thank you for the insight on differences and the *artistic* specifics.

I belong to the *vinyls are old fashioned - I haven't listened to vinyls for 30 ys now - Mp3s and analogic waves are impossible to distinguish* party and this is the first time, maybe, that I read *concrete* statements on how/why vinyls are still worth to be considered.

Thanks for posting.

A warm invitation to all other vinyls experts/lovers to post what I've been missing all these years.
(other than saying *it's better*, *mp3s are impersonal*, *the credits fonts are more readable*
:) :lol: :D

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 14:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
You get bigger photos. :P
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 18:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

A warm invitation to all other vinyls experts/lovers to post what I've been missing all these years.

Doubt that's necessary. Some people just don't hear that well, or it's a "secondary" sense. Not a knock, it's just how it is.

I'm that way with TV. People invest thousands in their home theatre so they can wring every last pixel out of whatever they're watching, while I could personally care less. I do like good audio though.

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 18:38 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

Doubt that's necessary. Some people just don't hear that well, or it's a "secondary" sense. Not a knock, it's just how it is.

I'm that way with TV. People invest thousands in their home theatre so they can wring every last pixel out of whatever they're watching, while I could personally care less. I do like good audio though.

Maybe you don't feel like *a knock* but it is.
:)

because the point is that it's far from reality that people like me *don't hear* it.
(i'm not talking about *me* specifically, obviously)

So it IS necessary that we understand what the vinyl is still worth.

I'll give you two (opposite) examples:

1 - One guy once told me
*You want to know what you miss with digitalization? go listen to Out On The Weekend (Neil Young) and tell me*
False.
Out On The Weekend is actually perfectly separate, the sound is definitely garage-like, *human*, almost physically audible.
It's true.
If only for the fact that the effect is absolutely IDENTICAL on cd, too.

2 - I once asked if there was something different in the vinyl edition of Street Legal.
Somebody answered * if you can't hear it, I'm sorry for you*
(a little bit what you did) :)
False again.
If you listen to Baby Stop Crying, in the vynil you hear the saxophone *front stage*.
While in the CD you get the guitar first; and the impact of the intro is much weaker.

Maybe it was HIM who did not get differences.

So may technical/artistic suggestions come forward.
They ARE necessary.

PS
A bang on the ear.

PostPosted: Tue January 7th, 2014, 20:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

1 - One guy once told me
*You want to know what you miss with digitalization? go listen to Out On The Weekend (Neil Young) and tell me*
False.
Out On The Weekend is actually perfectly separate, the sound is definitely garage-like, *human*, almost physically audible.
It's true.
If only for the fact that the effect is absolutely IDENTICAL on cd, too.

Ah, Harvest. Recorded on the famous "Green Board" (Google it.) It's a nice recording overall, and the CD captures it, but the vinyl is still more dimensional and palpable. Which of course depends on the mastering. The old Reprise CD of that album, to my ears is actually better than the newer Neil Young Archives release, which is supposed to be better. :P

My vinyl set of Neil's Decade has the most amazing sounding For The Turnstiles on it. I haven't heard a CD that can come close. But then an album like Rust Never Sleeps is a tossup between the vinyl and the CD. I'd just as soon do the CD, it gets the job done.

PostPosted: Wed January 8th, 2014, 22:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

In case anyone wants a copy more or less just as memorabilia, PM me. I should have my replacement soon, so will have a spare copy (with some pops on side six).

PostPosted: Thu January 30th, 2014, 05:56 GMT 

Side D is easily my favorite, just masterpiece after masterpiece

D1 You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
D2 George Jackson ( Acoustic Version)
D3 Forever Young
D4 You're A Big Girl Now (Alternate)
D5 Up To Me

PostPosted: Mon February 10th, 2014, 15:14 GMT 

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
So I finally bought it and I was more or less very happy but the tracks, being from different sources, are of varying quality. I have the original Biograph

Mixed Up Confusion sounds glorious, better than I have ever heard it. Really rocking sound with clear separation and punchy instruments.
Percy's Song and Lay Down sound really good and the harmonica is the best I've ever heard it sound on record.
I'll Keep It With Mine is dissapointingly thin, very little bass but nothing that bad.
Can You Please and 4th Street sound strong and rocking but I've found that they sounded similarly strong on Biograph (make of that what you will).
The live tracks sound pretty underwhelming, no worse than the CD but considerably weaker than the 1966 vinyl (which, to be fair is a different mix, recording and pressed on stupidly high quality vinyl.)
The Greatest Hits tracks I've never heard on vinyl so I don't have anything to compare them too. Although for what its worth the acoustic sessions don't sound as good as Only A Hobo on BS10 (but thats not that surprising).
River and Masterpiece are a bit heavy on the low end but I think that's how they're meant to sound.
The Blood On The Track songs are a very strong improvement on the CD but not quite up to the standards of the LP itself (I have a rare recent columbia 180g repressing).
Abandoned Love sounds brilliant, better than anything on Desire, although I don't have the MOV release, but I was very happy about this since it's one of my favourites.
The live '75 tracks are, like the 66 tracks not that good sound-wise but they're no worse than the CD so no loss there.
Caribbean Wind, one of my favourite Dylan songs is very strong. It's always been mixed with a lot of high end and that's true here but I think it has a bit more punch than the CD.
Heart of Mine is like the other live tracks, fine but nothing special.
The great surprise was Series of Dreams which sounds good on CD but just explodes on vinyl. Best I've ever heard it.
I don't know that version of Dignity well enough to compare but it sounds clear and punchy enough to me.
Things Have Changed is up to the standard I've come to expect of modern Dylan vinyl.

I don't quite get this release.

Caribbean Wind is the exact same as on Biograph. Jet Pilot is the same as on other releases before. Why are these old songs on this album? Are they mixed differently or improved?

PostPosted: Mon February 10th, 2014, 15:45 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Are they mixed differently or improved?

I'd like to know this as well. Thanks to anyone who'll answer. :)

PostPosted: Mon February 10th, 2014, 15:50 GMT 

Dylaned wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Are they mixed differently or improved?

I'd like to know this as well. Thanks to anyone who'll answer. :)

(I mean apart from "Things Have Changed on vinyl" - which is a fair point.)

PostPosted: Tue February 11th, 2014, 02:28 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

Caribbean Wind is the exact same as on Biograph. Jet Pilot is the same as on other releases before. Why are these old songs on this album? Are they mixed differently or improved?

I believe it was released in conjunction with the complete album box. This set is just the extraneous released tracks that were on various compilations. Dylan, Inc put it on vinyl for RSD, and I am glad that they did.

PostPosted: Tue February 11th, 2014, 11:38 GMT 

jeffr92 wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

I believe it was released in conjunction with the complete album box. This set is just the extraneous released tracks that were on various compilations. Dylan, Inc put it on vinyl for RSD, and I am glad that they did.

RSD?

PostPosted: Tue February 11th, 2014, 11:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Record Store Day

PostPosted: Tue February 11th, 2014, 13:40 GMT 

Funny that it's still availible on amazon...

PostPosted: Tue February 11th, 2014, 22:55 GMT 

DaniArrow wrote:
Funny that it's still availible on amazon...

Some records stores here still have loads of copies of left, just like they have of previous Dylan RSD releases. (There are, like, full boxes of the "Wigwam" 7" I've seen lying around.) There must be a lot more unsold in other countries as well. I feel a bit silly now for rushing to get it, ha... Clearly supply and demand didn't quite match up everywhere. I wonder how many were pressed worldwide.

PostPosted: Tue April 15th, 2014, 03:13 GMT 

I'm happy to report that I picked this up today. $42 at the last local record store left in town. #08832 (which is fine with me-I'm just glad to have a copy.) Saturday night's record spinning session inspired me to go in search of the reissue of Love And Theft and maybe a newly released (I thought) reissue of Time Out Of Mind. Neither was available but I'm excited to have found this instead. Hopefully I'll track the others down later on.

PostPosted: Tue April 15th, 2014, 09:19 GMT 

Oh.. I think I need a copy of this!!

That's OK, because it's payday today & I don't want this years debut LP.
http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/2014/?p=2

PostPosted: Tue April 15th, 2014, 09:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

WoollyRockers wrote:
Oh.. I think I need a copy of this!!

That's OK, because it's payday today & I don't want this years debut LP.
http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/2014/?p=2

I'd like to find the Dylan release, but I'm wondering if it's even Sony product, or just another one of those public domain releases?

M&A: The TOOM reissue is yet to be released. There's a link among today's front page news that might help you.

PostPosted: Tue April 15th, 2014, 15:41 GMT 

Thanks, Johanna. :) I could have sworn it was originally scheduled to come out yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue April 15th, 2014, 18:53 GMT 

Hmmm, couple of quick comments.
Re: vinyl v CD as was being discussed. I've got a good turntable and a good CD player, good sounds from both. Early CD versions (from back in the 80s) of, for example, Blonde On Blonde or Harvest are complete bobbins in terms of sound quality and as a general rule vinyl pressings from the same era beat them hands down every time. Only re-mastered CDs compare in terms of playback and even then, played through a decent system vinyl still sounds better to me.
Sidetracks.... they've got it in my local independent record store for £30. Tempting though it is, I have the remastered Biograph on CD and that'll do nicely. £20 and I might have a sniff at it. :D

PostPosted: Wed April 16th, 2014, 14:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Masked And Anonymous wrote:
Thanks, Johanna. :) I could have sworn it was originally scheduled to come out yesterday.

amazon UK says 21 April - amazon Germany says 25 April
JPC where I ordered says they shipped my copy today :D

PostPosted: Thu April 17th, 2014, 10:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Masked And Anonymous wrote:

amazon UK says 21 April - amazon Germany says 25 April
JPC where I ordered says they shipped my copy today :D

....and it's here. Yay! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next