Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 19:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed November 27th, 2013, 07:19 GMT 

Thanks for the info, it's available on amazon.uk too (with the release date set for Monday) but I'd rather get it from my local store if I can, I know they participate in the actual Record Store Day so it seems they should do Black Friday also. I always thought it was an American thing as it's tied in with Thanksgiving but I suppose everything's international nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu November 28th, 2013, 20:43 GMT 

If my local record store has it, I'll cancel my Amazon.UK order. If not, I'll have a copy coming.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 04:04 GMT 

Yeeha!! almost here gang...

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 10:49 GMT 

Just picked up a copy at a local record store before coming to work.. It's frustrating I can't listen to it yet, but I didn't want to take the chance they'd sell out before I got off work. I keep glancing at it though, I like the design. Nice picture of Bob they picked.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 12:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

you're telling me - i'm picking mine up today and my record player is at least 7 states away!

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 13:46 GMT 

My record store didn't have it or any of the Black Friday releases so I've just ordered it online. They did have a nice selection of vinyl Dylan Bootlegs though, but looking through them very little which hasn't been officially released by now. In the end I decided to buy Inside Dave Van Ronk instead (seeing as I've been listening non-stop to the Inside Llewyn Davis soundtrack the last week). Just listening to his version of Tattle O' Day now (or I Buyed Me a Little Dog as he calls it).

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 13:56 GMT 

Here in Europe vinyls are pressed on Music On Vinyl..
Does anybody knows if there's a different pressing in the states?

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 14:12 GMT 

Poor Llama, mine is luckily only a swift subway + train journey away..

I wasn't even sure if the record stores here would get it either, as this place is quite far away from the US. The one I visited did post a list of all the RSD releases on their website with an ominous "NB! Not everything will released everywhere" note... But it turned out they had several copies and I got my hands on n:o 002067.

Van Ronk is always a good choice.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 14:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm still conflicted about whether I need this. Can anybody post your thoughts or a review today? My local store assures me they will still have copies if I come in tonight or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 15:49 GMT 

John B. Stetson wrote:
I'm still conflicted about whether I need this. Can anybody post your thoughts or a review today? My local store assures me they will still have copies if I come in tonight or tomorrow.

Most of the song come from the Biograph-set, some songs from GH vol.2, GH vol.3 and Best of Bob dylan vol.2.
I'm not sure about the singles (Mixed up confusion,Crawl out your window, 4th Street,George Jackson) and the versions of Dignity (from the Dylan set) and Things have changed (Soundtrack version), since I don't know if the exact same versions contained here have been released somewhere else already.
I already had all the songs, but maybe not these versions. To be honest I bought this set to have all these rarities in one set and to support my local record store.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 16:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, I am the owner of #118. Though I have Biograph, I don't have Greatest Hist II or III, or Things Have Changed, so I grabbed it, also in the spirit of supporting my local record store.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 16:37 GMT 

I wasn't planning on buying this earlier in the week, but I decided to go out and get it this morning. I don't have any of the Greatest Hits or Biograph on vinyl, so I talked myself into it fairly easily. I'm #7081

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 18:41 GMT 

I grabbed one this morning. I was #18 in line (they gave out numbers this year...very smart). Anyways, I got the last one and it looked like a lot in front of me got it too. Probably 10 per store or so. $40 or around that.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 19:03 GMT 

The store I went to had 6 of 'em but of course since I have Biograph on vinyl already I couldn't see the sense in it. I grabbed the Grateful Dead release & was bummed that they didn't get any of the Nick Lowe release.

Some day I'd like to see a good Dylan RSD release with a significant amount of stuff that I don't have already.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 19:46 GMT 

Just got home... Had to drive downtown to the five points college area, where the few indie RS's are.
First place had a line outside , had a coffee, came back and they did not even have any at all...
Then I went to the other store, and they had three or four - I got the lowest #03943. $45.00
At least it is gem sealed condition, no pushes, stress bends, etc...
Also picked up the new RSD Harry Nilsson LP!

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 20:10 GMT 

you know- I really had not made much of the song list because I am sort of a Dylan LP completist...
So I do have a NM Biograph, and promos of both Greatest hit both mono/stereo....
Are you guys saying I already have these versions then ? ?
I'm not so lazy as I do not know the versions as well as I should...
Maybe I will just keep it sealed...
What is the inside packaging like anyone please, anything special, etc ?
Thanks guys..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 20:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

I salute your quick and definitive decision making process, John B.!
I would like to personally thank Newbury Comics for providing such an easy record store day/black friday experience! we showed up at a little after 9 expecting to wait til 10 for it to open, and were delighted to see no line, but found that it was also open early - we walked in and were casually directed to the RSD stand, where three Dylan albums were prominently displayed beside the Miles Davis release collection. An appropriate neighbor for Bob. I was so tickled; there was no line, and 3 copies left. The sequencing looks great! All of the albums that originally have these songs get rare appearances in my rotation, so this clean, fresh packaging will be well appreciated! some of my favorite songs and some of my favorite versions of them. Sad not to see Biograph's version of Baby Blue on there though, unless I missed it.

I picked up Vitamin String Quartet's interpretation of In Rainbows as well, which I think little Llama will like. And a couple comic books, just because I could. Such a cheery staff - more comic book like than hipster like. My stepbrother-in-law couldn't resist getting in on the action and grabbed Kind of Blue along with the Mickey Hart/Bob Weir release. I've never wished for a record player to be in my pocket so bad! But RSD on the east coast couldn't have been more of a breeze!

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 20:38 GMT 

My local record store had one copy on the shelf when I walked in! Not a huge place, but they came through. Grabbed it and now I have copy #00133. Cancelled my Amazon order--happy to buy local after all.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 22:23 GMT 

Just picked this up from Turntable Lab in NYC, currently jamming it. nice flow. here's a peek of some of the packaging.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 23:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Maranatha wrote:
you know- I really had not made much of the song list because I am sort of a Dylan LP completist...
So I do have a NM Biograph, and promos of both Greatest hit both mono/stereo....
Are you guys saying I already have these versions then ? ?
I'm not so lazy as I do not know the versions as well as I should...
Maybe I will just keep it sealed...
What is the inside packaging like anyone please, anything special, etc
?
Thanks guys..

If you have all of the songs elsewhere, may as well keep it sealed up for some kind of to-be-determined future. It's a fine package, nothing spectacular, though. A tri-fold with a Love & Theft era photo of Dylan inside. Details (musicians, source, etc.) for each track sprawl across 2 of the inner sides, and in the middle, you get some (mostly informational) words from Clinton Heylin about Biograph and each of the Greatest Hits packages these songs came from (alongside a sillhouette-ish style drawing of Dylan-guitar-harmonica 1964-65 era). I played through it once--most of it sounds quite nice (it's wonderful to have Tomorrow is a Long Time and Watching the River Flow sounding so fresh) but I thought the last few tracks sounded a bit muddy and thin (particularly Series of Dreams, Dignity). All in all, I am happy with this and glad to have all of these songs together--and on vinyl--as I listen to Biograph mostly for these tracks.

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 00:29 GMT 

Hi John, Thank you very much for the information.
I knew that I had most if not all of the music, but I figured it would all be newly remastered.
Tomandshell, wow! What a great low #.

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 11:28 GMT 

I bought mine today. It is a beautiful set. It's so nice to jam George Jackson and Things Have Changed on vinyl.

They seem to be stocking less Dylan rsd releases than they used to.... But I'm glad I was able to snag one.

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 19:23 GMT 

Just dropping the needle on mine. This is a fantastic set... It sounds like some of the songs have been touched up a little. I'm hearing some reverb that I haven't noticed before. The sound over all is great. It's a treat listening to this stuff on vinyl for the first time...

No complaints so far. The packaging is nice as well, but not up to par with a Bootleg Series release. Though that was to be expected. Still, theres session information for each song which is a nice touch. The liner notes are nothing special.

Considering doing a needle drop on this one, if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 19:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mine was mailed today - looking forward! :)

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 05:37 GMT 

Talkinjones wrote:
Just dropping the needle on mine. This is a fantastic set... It sounds like some of the songs have been touched up a little. I'm hearing some reverb that I haven't noticed before. The sound over all is great. It's a treat listening to this stuff on vinyl for the first time...

No complaints so far. The packaging is nice as well, but not up to par with a Bootleg Series release. Though that was to be expected. Still, theres session information for each song which is a nice touch. The liner notes are nothing special.

Considering doing a needle drop on this one, if anyone is interested.

I've bought a copy for myself, but I would certainly appreciate a digital copy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next