Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 09:03 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Masked & Anonymous
PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 05:59 GMT 

Just viewed Masked & Anonymous again, and then right again after going through all the extras.

I'm thinking now that this is an absolute masterpiece!

- nate

Post subject: Re: Masked & Anonymous
PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 06:00 GMT 

Not a good movie, but it was cool seeing Bob in a film I guess.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 06:37 GMT 

xongsmith wrote:
Just viewed Masked & Anonymous again, and then right again after going through all the extras.

- nate

I loved it, too.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 07:42 GMT 

xongsmith wrote:

- nate

I agree with masterpiece, but I'm not so into absolutisms. It certainly is a film much like a Dylan song, and I have watched it more than once, sometimes just individual scenes. I'd buy more of this stuff while being utterly bored by most Hollywood products.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 09:11 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
It certainly is a film much like a Dylan song...

Very much agree there. As a standalone film, I can see where part of the criticism is coming from. I don't necessarily agree, but if one is judging it against a standard flick one sees at the Odeon, then one will be disappointed. One would also be missing the point, I should think.

Masked & Anonymous, to me, watches like an expressionist set of fragments that are bound together by some invisible seam which, somehow, allows it to stand its ground as a wholesome piece. In a similar vein to films like the Fountain or Tree of Life (although here, I believe, it was applied poorly) or Samsara. So yes - very much like a Dylan song.

As such, when I was watching it, not only did I enjoy the experience of watching it, but there were segments, like the bus scene or the I'll Remember You montage, where I felt like standing up afterwards and applauding the particular 'verse'.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 11:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

^^Right on, Cipher Pipe. I am so transfixed by that film. I wouldn't even begin to expect a standard narrative in a Dylan movie. I wonder what his vision was for the film. It would be interesting to see it as he intended it to be, but it is still very compelling as it is. Even just visually, it's a delight.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 14:07 GMT 

There's a lot to like in M & A. Some colorful, weird stuff. The central character, though... that's Bob, of course... is just too much of an absence onscreen, too removed, too un-present to the events or the other actors. Plus he's too old for the story. His father the dictator is dying of old age... but doesn't really look that much older than our hero! It would have worked better if it had been filmed when Dylan was about forty. The story would have made more sense then, and the actor might have tried a little harder at the acting part, too. I mean, look at "Hearts of Fire." He was emoting all over the place in that one!

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 14:26 GMT 

I think if we ever got Dylan's complete performances it would be a masterpiece. Besides the few cuts on the soundtrack check out Cold Irons Bound, it's terrific.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 16:13 GMT 

could have been a masterpiece if the director wasn't shit. The material was all there, it just needed a better eye for the camera.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 16:55 GMT 

Consdering the director helped Dylan turn shoeboxes full of paper scraps into a screenplay, I find it pretty hard to fault him for any shortcomings of the film.

I really like M&A, but certainly can see why some don't.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 20:02 GMT 

the script was solid which he helped him with. I have no doubts that Larry Charles (a writer on Seinfeld) can write. I do doubt his direction. And his direction is where i find flaws.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 21:06 GMT 

I have always found the subliminals far more interesting than the movie itself. Ie, the TV viewing schedules posted on the wall, eg, "The House of Usher" and "I love you, I hate you, I kill you".

I had never heard of the Fall of the House of Usher (Poe). But I surely read it straight away out of pure curiosity. It's significance wasn't lost on me; recommend you read it if you haven't yet.

When I remember the words "I love you, I hate you, I kill you", I always remember the bizarre video releases for Beyond Here Lies Nothing and Duquesne Whistle, with a bit of a wry smile.

Mask and Anonymous is no throw-away; it certainly wasn't wasted on me.

PostPosted: Mon August 12th, 2013, 19:54 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
xongsmith wrote:

- nate

I agree with masterpiece, but I'm not so into absolutisms. It certainly is a film much like a Dylan song, and I have watched it more than once, sometimes just individual scenes. I'd buy more of this stuff while being utterly bored by most Hollywood products.

Yes, Wish Bob would make more.

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
Mutabor wrote:
It certainly is a film much like a Dylan song...

Very much agree there. As a standalone film, I can see where part of the criticism is coming from. I don't necessarily agree, but if one is judging it against a standard flick one sees at the Odeon, then one will be disappointed. One would also be missing the point, I should think.

Masked & Anonymous, to me, watches like an expressionist set of fragments that are bound together by some invisible seam which, somehow, allows it to stand its ground as a wholesome piece.In a similar vein to films like the Fountain or Tree of Life (although here, I believe, it was applied poorly) or Samsara. So yes - very much like a Dylan song.

As such, when I was watching it, not only did I enjoy the experience of watching it, but there were segments, like the bus scene or the I'll Remember You montage, where I felt like standing up afterwards and applauding the particular 'verse'.

It unfolded like some Dylan songs do to me, too. The only scene I didn't like was when they first got Jack Fate out of that dirt prison, but that was because it seemed so stifling you could taste it. Among other things, I thought Uncle Sweetheart's clothes were interesting and that Bobby Cupid was in a bar.

PostPosted: Mon August 12th, 2013, 23:56 GMT 

a cool dylan vehicle....he steers it well

PostPosted: Tue August 13th, 2013, 00:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

When THE best movie of 2003 doesn't even receive a nomination for Best Motion Picture of the Year, something is seriously wrong.

PostPosted: Tue August 13th, 2013, 00:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

larry charles just announced he's working on the sam kinison film, being exec produced by my old friend, wild

PostPosted: Tue August 13th, 2013, 01:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Speaking of Dylan movies. Is there any further news about that proposed project a while back about the movie based on 'Blood on the Tracks'. I don't necessarily think you could make a movie of that album, but if somebody is gonna try anyhow I guess I'd watch it...I haven't heard anything about though since the initial reports. So I was wondering if anybody knew anything about that project.

PostPosted: Tue August 13th, 2013, 06:53 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
Speaking of Dylan movies. Is there any further news about that proposed project a while back about the movie based on 'Blood on the Tracks'. I don't necessarily think you could make a movie of that album, but if somebody is gonna try anyhow I guess I'd watch it...I haven't heard anything about though since the initial reports. So I was wondering if anybody knew anything about that project.

On another forum we do "make a movie drafts" and I drafted the rights to a movie based on BOTT, started writing it, and bowed out of the competition because it was a complete disaster.

PostPosted: Wed August 14th, 2013, 21:09 GMT 

I agree with those that say the movie is like a Dylan song/lyric. But the problem is that movies aren't songs.
My biggest problem with the film is that although there are some interesting Character monologues, and performances from great actors like John Goodman. There never seems to be actual conversations where two characters are actually speaking to, and listening to each other.

It's okay to monologue for 11 minutes if you're a Bob Dylan song. But a narrative film (even R&C had better dialog/conversation/scenes and it wasn't even necessarily narrative) kinda needs actors to interact with each other. Not just monolog at each other.

I would also love to hear the uncut performance of Dylan and his band from that session.

PostPosted: Sat August 17th, 2013, 13:06 GMT 
Mercury Member

I hope everyone can view this because it's on facebook. I've never seen this before....does anyone know where this came from? I don't believe this is from the bonus features, or has it been too long since I've watched it...

It includes a bit of If You See Her, Say Hello.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=49 ... =2&theater

PostPosted: Sat August 17th, 2013, 13:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

"Since, uuuhmmm.... 1989." :lol: Love that. But the end serves as a reminder of the big days of upsinging. I still wish they'd release the whole soundstage show on DVD... make that CD and DVD, with interviews and photo books. Thanks for posting this, raging. :)

PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 04:06 GMT 

has anyone seen the German bluray? (I think it was German)

sorry, posting without doing any research on this - I happened to see the bluray listed somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 17:39 GMT 

I have been re-watching bits of pieces of it lately before bed and it's really grown on me. Conceptually I think I'm Not There took a lot of ideas from it (and subsequently did a lot better job with them).

PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 

Never seen the film, don't want to. The soundtrack album however, is (with the exception of that dreadul rap LARS) fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu August 17th, 2017, 22:24 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Never seen the film, don't want to....

i don't understand this sentiment,
why wouldn't you want to see it?