Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 13:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 01:48 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
Got a question on this whole central park thing.... where are the photos?

Everybody got a cell phone that takes pics these days.... so if someone had really spotted him in Central Park, on a nice day, lots of people around..... people who already got their camera phones out taking pics of the topless ladies.... why are there no pics of Bob working on his painting????? At the very least where are the pics of thickboy peeking out from behiind a bush as he is watching the foxey vixens...... Oh, wait, wrong side of the ocean.... well, we can be sure if Bob is seen out in London, painting pics of topless ladies, our very own thickboy will get us photographic proof..... well at least of the ladies, if not Bob :P

But Bob would be in a hood and wig so nobody would recognize him. But then, how did they know it was him painting to begin with? Perhaps this is Bob's publicist trying to keep Bob's name in the news???? Nahh.... that's not Bob's style.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 03:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

scottw wrote:
Phonies are a major theme in Richard Prince's book The Catcher in the Rye. There's a copy on eBay for $2,500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RICHARD-PRINCE- ... 2c700a4fcc

scott always gets to the heart of the joke, --i mean the heart of the art

to paraphrase bob in some interview, 'art is what takes you from here to there.' is prince just doing the superman-christlike martyr thing of being the messiah-portnoy complaining in gethsemane for us?

holy transmigration batman, the rain in spain falls mainly on the plane, bring that bottle of wine and your checkbook over here my little philistines says our prince Dom in a matrix

"While there are no clear answers as to why at this particular juncture Prince would choose to replicate "The Catcher In the Rye," tremendous insights into Prince’s thinking and processes can be found in a recent book, "Canal Zone Richard Prince YES RASTA: The Book," published by Greg Allen, proprietor of the influential art blog greg.org. Allen’s book collects nearly 400 pages of court documents from the Prince Canal Zone case, including depositions, affidavits, and court summaries. For anyone interested in the history of appropriation art, it is spellbinding and essential reading. In fact, this collection of documents might constitute the definitive book on appropriative practices in the arts, replete with lawyers citing in great narrative detail prior examples of theft and plunder involving everyone from Marcel Duchamp to Jeff Koons.

.... Speaking about his 1983 book, "Why I Go To The Movies Alone," Prince says, “I think at the time I wrote it I was—I was very interested in anti-expressionism… And the idea of not liking your own work I thought was a kind of avant-garde, revolutionary, very poetic position to take at the time. Because most artists you meet have these large egos and love what they do. So I took the opposite point of view.”

.... No artist should have to go through what Prince went through here, forced to reveal in detail his artistic process to a bunch of philistines. It’s a horrible grilling, one that sucks all the mystery out of his creative practice. It’s hard to imagine Andy Warhol—with his monosyllabic responses and his legendary reluctance to speak at all—submitting to such a process. Had he done so, the mystique of Warhol would be much diminished today, which is the reason he wisely settled out of court when sued in a similar case. Clearly Warhol understood mystery’s correlative value to legacy.

As a work of conceptual writing, Allen’s book is squarely in line with the repurposed court documents of Vanessa Place and even bears a distant resemblance to Reznikoff’s "Testimony." Some great transcriptional moments occur in Allen’s book, like when the lawyers are quoting from Prince’s written works (where all punctuation has to be articulated, reminding us of Craig Dworkin’s "Parse") such as this passage from his essay “Appropriation” (1978):

"I think appropriation has to do with the inability of the author slash artist to like his or her own work, period. Especially if the work is all theirs, period. I think it’s a lot more satisfying to appropriate, comma, especially if you are attempting to produce work with a certain believability, comma, an official fiction let’s say. If you take someone else’s work and call it your own, comma, you don’t have to ask an audience, quote, to take my word for it, unquote, period. It’s not like it started with you and ended up being guessed at. The effect you want to produce is not that different from what an audience sometimes experiences when viewing a good movie. And that’s what — and then in quotes — somebody named Christian Metz called a general lowering of wakefulness.""

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet ... n-the-rye/

glad we all are still drinking malts in the coffeeshop in hibbing

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 10:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

Best line from yesterday's Julie Miller article on this:

"And if this admittedly out-there rumor is not true, we applaud its originators on creativity."

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars ... e-painting

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 13:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

:roll:

they kvetch because bob doesnt help them and give them money, since in reality they are helping him be a better person. :roll: they write these articles as if they were directing their attention at an idiot standing on the sidewalk.

bob got a huge spread over in California and if he has the interest in having a frolic type scene with supermodels of various degrees, it would take about 1 min to arrange. there would be A FLOCKING to the FROLIC if you know what i mean. he can even have them imported from Central Park and set them up by the swimming pool. with amenities and champagne. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 17:18 GMT 

The Outdoor Co-ed Topless Pulp Fiction Appreciation Society: Did Bob Dylan Paint Us…?

The phone’s been ringing off the hook (metaphorically speaking—metaphorical phone, metaphorical hook) ever since we joined forces with Richard Prince’s Fulton-Ryder crew for a topless afternoon in Central Park. Rumor has it that Bob Dylan showed up, paints and easel in hand, and spent the afternoon using us as life models for his latest oil-on-canvas musings.

True? False? Don’t ask us. When we hit the grass for one of our outdoor adventures, we’re focused on our books and each other, not the people all around us. Was there someone with an easel in the distance? Our answer: maybe…? There almost always is when we visit that particular grove, which is popular with artists of all stripes. We know there was a bridal party taking photos…some people walking dogs…a guy dressed in what was either a monk’s habit or the world’s most elaborate D&D costume… Was the singer/songwriter responsible for anthems of social change such as “Blowin’ In the Wind” and “The Times, They Are A-Changin’” there, too? If so, he didn’t come over and introduce himself. And we really wish he had. After all, the times, they are a-changin’—and we know a social movement that could use a good anthem.

So, how about it, Mr. Dylan? Whether you were there this time or not, we’d certainly welcome you at another of our events. You can paint us all you want. The only thing we ask in return is a little bit of the old firebrand poetry to stir the hearts of free-thinking women everywhere. Or should we just repurpose “Blowin’ In the Wind”?

Here's the link (NSFW): http://coedtoplesspulpfiction.wordpress ... -paint-us/

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 17:30 GMT 

The most interesting- and overlooked- thing about this whole story is that which concerns the baring of female breasts in Central Park. Is it or isn't it allowed? I'm pretty sure it isn't in London's Hyde Park. So what goes?

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 17:34 GMT 

From http://coedtoplesspulpfiction.wordpress ... s-forever/ (NSFW):
"Ten of us made the trek out to the little sylvan grotto in Central Park known as “Strawberry Fields,” near where John Lennon lived and died, and yes, there really are tiny strawberries growing there in the grass. (No, we didn’t eat any.) Several birds came to say hello, also one tiny slug. We got curious looks from several school groups and packs of tourists who walked past on the path beyond the fence, and a visit from two friendly police officers who said they told someone who complained to them about us that we were entirely within our rights and didn’t have to do anything different. Chalk one up for the NYPD."

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 17:56 GMT 

Yeah, in New York women are allowed to go topless in public. Anywhere a man can take off his shirt a woman can too...walking down the street, hanging out in the park, etc. It's an equal rights type thing that came out of an arrest and subsequent lawsuit back in the '90s.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 18:01 GMT 

This, from NY Voice, June 2011:

Topless in Central Park: A New Yorker Puts the Law to the Test

Inspired by the mysterious Topless Bowery Lady who recently set the Internet aflame, and the publicly acknowledged legality of being topless in the city, our pal Jamie Peck took it upon herself to take off her own shirt in the outside air recently and see what happened. At the beginning of her adventure, which she chronicled for The Gloss, she found that she was initially nervous -- Could she do this? What would happen? -- but went through with it anyway in the good fight against social conventions. She headed to Central Park on a Sunday afternoon, took off her shirt -- "it turned out to be like ripping off a band-aid; once I'd done it without anything bad happening, I relaxed," she writes.
And then she did all the regular things a person does while lying in a park on a summer day; resting, chilling, reading, chatting. Did anyone even notice?

At one point I thought a guy was giving me the thumbs up, but it turned out it was directed at a baby. The sun and air felt nice on my skin. I would tentatively say from this experience that it's possible to toplessly sunbathe in the park without causing a commotion.
Testing things further, she got up and walked around, putting on a hat and sunglasses, and buying a bottle of water and a popsicle. "The concession stand guy didn't bat an eyelash at me. He's probably seen weirder," she writes. She continued through the park, taking photos with tourists, petting dogs, and getting compliments, until a park employee intervened and said it wasn't appropriate. Still, since the park employee had trouble actually making eye contact, this interaction seems to have been mostly just awkward.

About an hour into the park walk, Peck was stopped by a cop, who admitted that he knew the law...but that there were kids around and toplessness was not appropriate -- and also, that she was just doing it for attention. Peck refrained from comment, walked away, and eventually put her top back on.

She told us, "I wanted to argue with the cop more and really expose his presumptive x line of reasoning, but I know too many people who've ended up getting arrested for absolutely nothing after mouthing off to a cop, and I didn't want to spend the rest of my weekend topless and in jail."

Her end take:

I don't think it's yet possible for a woman to walk around topless without having people assume she's pulling some sort of stunt, which is a shame. Granted, I was doing a social experiment of sorts, but it would be nice to be able to do it just because it feels good. (Also granted, many people ignored me. Kudos to them, for they are the future.)
As for the present, it seems like lying on a blanket in Central Park topless is cool, walking around topless is sort of okay, maybe, and confronting a cop or park employee while doing so is moderately unpleasant, as those things go. Peck also reveals what may be the key issue with bare boobs in public: Underboob sweat. So, now you know. Do with that what you will.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2013, 23:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

It would make a nice book title. "Topless and In Jail."

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 13:20 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
It would make a nice book title. "Topless and In Jail."

"Underboob Sweat" would be an interesting book title too. I think women might relate to that one.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 14:22 GMT 

Brairy Rose wrote:
"Underboob Sweat" would be an interesting book title too. I think women might relate to that one.

Makes me think of that Tom Robbins novel Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. A discussion of underboob sweat would have fit in perfectly in that book, right alongside all the talk of body odor and vaginal hygiene.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 18:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

i think the performance-hoax well exposes the idiocy and infantilization of the male ego by market forces
witness the media parroting and this thread of examples

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 20:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

bobschool wrote:
i think the performance-hoax well exposes the idiocy and infantilization of the male ego by market forces
witness the media parroting and this thread of examples

One of the reasons I expose my nipples so often is to provide an ironic counterpoint (or pair of counterpoints) to this very phenomenon. The other reason is because they're massively impressive.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 20:33 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I heard Bob's Cali license plate reads, "Assman". His Minnisota plate reads, "Legman". I still think this is a hoax.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 20:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think performance-hoax is a good way of describing it. It's also quite interesting to people performances with rumours. Dylan (or someone else) is putting his name to it. It's like a forged signature.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2013, 21:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

can you locate the Earth on a map? if not we got something that just arrived on the scence, its been called 'performance hoax art' and may be just up your alley. :roll:

buy one PHA (that what the hip call it) and you get a free crate with 200 yoko ono records absolutely free. :roll: