Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 12:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 03:27 GMT 

So.

When this song was released I heard some comparisons to a silent movie type sound. When the video came out, it was compared to Chaplin's style.

Well friends, the music IS Chaplin. I sit here and type this while watching Chaplin's "A Night Out" from the year 1915. The score at the end of the film is Duquense Whistle. Everything. The melody, structure. It's all there.

Now Chaplin had a tendency to change up the music in his films quite a bit, and when I went to look for it on YouTube, I couldn't find the version I am currently watching. I'll keep looking.

Figured some of you crazy cats would find it interesting. If anyone has anymore info please share!

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 03:38 GMT 

Neat... I'm interested in hearing it.

I just had a little run in with chaplin myself in a way. I'm friends with a record store owner In California and he just bought a huge collection of records from some hollywood guy. He showed me a very rare acetate disc of Chaplin conducting an orchestra! We played it and you can clearly hear him conducting and talking in between "takes" and the coolest bit is that the actual record label part (just white label no label info) had his autograph in pen. Not like "I'm going to sign this for a fan" type of thing. It was like a reference recording. It had instructions on it by Chaplin himself! I kept thinking of Dylan-Modern times connection and other stuff but didn't have the heart to go off on Dylan which I tend to do. I just appreciated the scratchy record, the music, and looking at his writing, and his autograph.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 04:01 GMT 

yeah i'd like to hear it as well. two weeks ago i watched Limelight, Monsieur Verdoux, and then i spent an entire Saturday with Modern Times. there's a couple of Dylan tunes make think of Chaplin.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 05:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

That's a great find!

City Lights is my favorite but everything I've seen by him has it's charms. I haven't seen any of his later movies, their rep is too bad for me to watch them.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 05:40 GMT 

^ Limelight is really wonderful. i actually watched that and Monsieur Verdoux without initially realizing they were Chaplin films. they had been in my queue on Hulu for so long i guess i forgot i added them so i could see some of his later work.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 10:41 GMT 

smoke wrote:
That's a great find!

City Lights is my favorite but everything I've seen by him has it's charms. I haven't seen any of his later movies, their rep is too bad for me to watch them.

Smoke , you must see Monsieur Verdoux ! And Limelight too! Chaplin's a poet ..

Mr. Rimbaud , that's an great find indeed and i can't wait to hear it !

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 12:23 GMT 

It's here; if you forward the video to around 21 minutes and 9 seconds:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9vydb ... XfN4YL_SpI

Not sure this music had anything to do with Chaplin. We need some old jazz heads to identify it, please...

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 12:43 GMT 
Mercury Member

I would also recommend seeing Monsieur Verdoux. I loved it. I watched TCM all day on CC's birthday.

Yes, that sure is Duquesne Whistle! The character in the DW video certainly is a little Chaplinesque.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 12:54 GMT 

aysie wrote:
It's here; if you forward the video to around 21 minutes and 9 seconds:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9vydb ... XfN4YL_SpI

Not sure this music had anything to do with Chaplin. We need some old jazz heads to identify it, please...

Ha ha , genius genius genius :lol: Has the guy ever written anything ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 12:55 GMT 

Great find! Amazing :o

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 13:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

It's the intro that is the most similar. The rest of DW just uses it as a template, I think. I wish it would start showing up in the set list!

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 13:28 GMT 

Good stuff! I'm not so keen on Chaplin movies but the music's just brilliant. Wonder what it's called...wonder if I actually own anything like it on my dad's old dusty 78s...now that would be a find.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 13:33 GMT 

The punching style that Chaplin uses at 24:30 is also borrowed by Dylan in Hearts of Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3iIriwTGQ

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 16:31 GMT 

Jelly Roll Morton & His Red Hot Peppers, "Each Day"

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 16:33 GMT 

Here 'tis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JBrddk4pXI

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 17:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

thisisjohn wrote:
^ Limelight is really wonderful. i actually watched that and Monsieur Verdoux without initially realizing they were Chaplin

Will do!

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 17:35 GMT 

The Great Wandu wrote:
Jelly Roll Morton & His Red Hot Peppers, "Each Day"

You're the man. It's an infectious song. Been stuck in my head since last night!

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 17:52 GMT 

Very interesting find - thank you.

PostPosted: Wed April 24th, 2013, 19:17 GMT 

The Jelly Roll heads were all over this back in October, it seems:

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=QQcRQUjnx2c

PostPosted: Thu April 25th, 2013, 13:31 GMT 

The jazz-head folks on Youtube seem very quick to 'shame' Dylan for 'stealing' Morton's composition, which is hilarious in itself, as Morton - as wonderful and amazing a musician as he was (I'm a huge fan), is well known for telling pretty much the tallest tales in jazz history. He did of course, claim to have 'invented' jazz, and who knows what compositions he claimed authorship of, that were simply common in the brothels and speakeasies of the day...

The point is, it doesn't matter... it's all part of his charisma, his legend, his character... it creates a wonderful mystique by blurring the lines between fact and fiction... this is always how I've seen Dylan's borrowings. Because of his immense talent as a writer, and his clear interest in the culture and history of music, I've always seen them as 'borrowings' not 'theft'... anyway, don't want to get into that whole argument again.

It's a great tune by Morton's band that, as someone says, only has its intro assimilated into Duquesne Whistle. But I like the fact that it's Morton that Dylan 'borrowed' from, knowing his reputation and character.

PostPosted: Thu April 25th, 2013, 14:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

the whole record is bob's revisionist version of his own life, a tempest, a love letter to his own life

and in a chronological take of his own coming of age as an artist and man, he masterfully layers in other stories, other influences he has met through his life, like jelly roll being seen as a scoundrel just as he is, a van morrison-john lennon axis on titanic/belfast-liverpool, red mask ladies with rock idols

all done in brushstoke nods that fall like raindrops, each color a different story, showing up, same story in different songs, throughout the length like the wall of pelting rain hits the windshield of time in a chaotic blast

the last part was for fun
but hey, does no one see its courage to face one's time? much less its courage to face a new time to be oneself before its weight?

PostPosted: Thu April 25th, 2013, 18:34 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:
It's a great tune by Morton's band that, as someone says, only has its intro assimilated into Duquesne Whistle. But I like the fact that it's Morton that Dylan 'borrowed' from, knowing his reputation and character.

It's not only the intro that is remarkably similar to Duquesne Whistle. The chord progression is identical through the whole song, aside from the breaks. The songs seems too similar to be coincidence.

PostPosted: Thu April 25th, 2013, 19:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes. Dylan only uses the jazz-era stylings for the intro, but the whole song is the same structure. You can easily sing the lyric over Jelly Roll's recording. As far as the "theft" goes, aside from the rights being public domain it's been a game for Dylan fans for over a decade to find his sources and there's no way something like this was going to remain a secret. As time goes on it will likely lead many thousands to Jelly Roll who otherwise may not have gotten there. Besides, it's damn catchy so I'd call it a win-win.

PostPosted: Fri April 26th, 2013, 05:43 GMT 

interesting. I noticed the kid's dancing in the video is very Chaplinesque, but I never noticed the song itself really until now.

PostPosted: Fri April 26th, 2013, 11:34 GMT 

thanks for all the finds! very fun to listen to these Jelly Roll Morton takes and watch the Chaplin video.