Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 17:00 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue March 26th, 2013, 20:48 GMT 

2 cd set out on may 20th

http://www.spincds.com/blog/2013/03/26/ ... dylan-2cd/

PostPosted: Tue March 26th, 2013, 21:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

What a weird release - given the copyright changeover that has been going on I'm not overly surprised especially as few of the songs on 'Bob Dylan' were written by him but this is still a surprise and I would doubt it's legitimacy but who knows?. I've got a bootleg cd on 'planet x records' called 'keep in the background' which includes four of those songs plus some alternate takes and one that doesnt seem to be on that new cd release- along with TWENTY takes of 'midnight special' with Harry Belafonte , four tracks with Victoria Spivey plus six tracks by Dick Farina/Eric Schmidt/Dylan. The Hester tracks are really good and I'm not convinced Dylan is actually on them all, but they are :

swing & turn jubilee
come baby back (sic) (2 takes)
Los Biblicos
I'll fly away (2 takes)
Virgin Mary

She had a great voice and I have to say, despite her apparently virginal charm, I suspect she was quite a hotty and I far prefer her to Baez (though to be fair they don't really compare stylistically)

The presence of Corrina Corrina and Mixed Up Confusion makes this a very mixed up and confusing release - but an interesting one..... I wonder which takes of the latter songs are used?

PostPosted: Tue March 26th, 2013, 23:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

The whole of the first Bob LP is in the public domain in EU - it's all here legally.

The first CD in this set has no Bob input; the second has him backing Hester on harmonica - plus the first LP - plus those 2 tracks which may or may not be legally included ... :?

PostPosted: Tue March 26th, 2013, 23:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

That is quite something - so I could legally put out a CD of the first Dylan album tomorrow? I might just do that... if anyone sees a record called "slimtim presents young protest folk sensation......." on sale in yer local garage please buy it and make a happy man feel old (or such like...) I can smell the money from here!

But the last two tracks do seem somewhat mysterious.... and I'm pretty sure the Hester tracks on the CD I mentioned don't all have Blob on them though one certainly does, perhaps he played autoharp on the others - I know he has been pictured with one.

Cheers for the tip, I'm off to the pressing plant!

PostPosted: Wed March 27th, 2013, 13:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Make sure you hit the right pressing plant!

Attachment:
getimage.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed March 27th, 2013, 19:46 GMT 

Tim, what is your source for Dylan appearing on 'Virgin Mary'? I've not read of that before.

PostPosted: Wed May 15th, 2013, 22:23 GMT 

I just got a catalog in the mail which has this CD for sale & I'm pondering it.

I'm wondering....what was Bob's first appearance on an album? Was it with Hester or was it the Belafonte album?

I guess I could look it up, but if anybody knows without having to look it up themselves...

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2013, 19:11 GMT 

Belafonte in June 1961.

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2013, 20:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

hollowhorn wrote:
Belafonte in June 1961.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0IHtfUY-g

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2013, 22:31 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
Belafonte in June 1961.

Thanks. 'Swhat I thought. So Hester only "introduced" Dylan to those who didn't hear the Belafonte record.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 22:53 GMT 

I think I read somewhere that this grey market release actually contains the single-only version of Corrina, Corrina that appeared on the Mixed Up Confusion single way back when and has never (legally/officially) shown up anywhere else. Can anyone confirm this?

From my understanding, most of the other EU copyright-expiration-bonanza released that claimed to have the single version of Corrina, Corrina use the wrong take.