Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon May 28th, 2018, 07:45 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 15:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 11th, 2006, 13:59 GMT
Posts: 862
Location: France
Do you know a lot of songs about Dylan, or even mentioning him in the lyrics?

The firsts who come in my mind are:

David Bowie: Song for Bob Dylan
Syd Barett: Bob Dylan Blues
Cat Power: Song for Bobby (Very beautiful song!)

Songs where we can fing Dylan mentionend in the lyrics:
John Lennon: God ("I don't believe in Zimmerman")
The Who: The Seeker ("I asked Bobby Dylan")


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 15:52 GMT 

Joined: Mon September 10th, 2007, 17:11 GMT
Posts: 1370
Someone's gotta mention the Hootie song, so I will.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 15:59 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 20:48 GMT
Posts: 9513
Location: Norway
Don't forget Joan Baez' "Diamonds & Rust" and "To Bobby" .. two very beautiful songs!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 15:59 GMT 

Joined: Fri April 20th, 2007, 14:04 GMT
Posts: 489
Beastie Boys -- 3-Minute Rule:

"A lot of parents like to think I'm a villain
I'm just chillin' like Bob Dylan
I smoke cheeba it helps me with my brain
I might be a little dusted but I'm not insane"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 1st, 2006, 06:19 GMT
Posts: 3604
Location: Sub specie aeternitatis
There is some debate about this one, but I always thought it was about Bob:

"Does anybody need another self-righteous rock-singer
whose nose, he says, has lead him straight to God?"

- Strawman, Lou Reed (from New York, 1989)

And there's a song on The Beatles' White Album - is it 'Yer blues'? - with the following lyric:

"Feel so suicidal,
just like Dylan's Mr. Jones."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:37 GMT 

Joined: Sun January 25th, 2009, 12:03 GMT
Posts: 136
the guy from springsteens e-street band: I came to Dance, Nils Something, i forgot his surname
Emmy the Great - Dylan
Ralph Mc Tel - Zimmerman Blues


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:41 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17059
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
andy1983 wrote:
There is some debate about this one, but I always thought it was about Bob:

"Does anybody need another self-righteous rock-singer
whose nose, he says, has lead him straight to God?"

- Strawman, Lou Reed (from New York, 1989)

And there's a song on The Beatles' White Album - is it 'Yer blues'? - with the following lyric:

"Feel so suicidal,
just like Dylan's Mr. Jones."


I always thought the same about the Lou Red line!

Don't forget "Dylan's Dogs" by the Waterboys.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 5th, 2008, 16:11 GMT
Posts: 610
one of my favorites

Belle & Sebastian - Like Dylan In The Movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XOlPvxrVs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:48 GMT 

Joined: Mon July 30th, 2007, 05:09 GMT
Posts: 110
Location: A Bat Cave in Phoenix, AZ
“So my mom she brushes her hair, And my dad starts growing Bob Dylan’s beard.” - Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, The Charging Sky

"I wanna be Bob Dylan" - Counting Crows, Mr. Jones

I've also heard that the Bob/Bobby Springsteen sings to on "Devils & Dust" a couple of times is Dylan but I don't know...


Last edited by Hudson Hawk on Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:51 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:51 GMT 

Joined: Thu July 6th, 2006, 17:20 GMT
Posts: 48
Location: France
there is also our friend Mark Knopfler on his very good solo album The ragpieker's dream in the song of the same name who begins like this : " When Jack FRost came for christmas "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:52 GMT 

Joined: Thu September 25th, 2008, 13:21 GMT
Posts: 894
Wilco - "Bob Dylan's 49th Beard"

-justin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 5th, 2008, 16:11 GMT
Posts: 610
some others on my hard drive:

Bob Schneider - The Ghost of Bob Dylan

Acoustic Wave Machine - I Killed Bob Dylan

Andrea Callegari - Bob Dylan

Charlie Chesterman - Wants To Be Bob Dylan

Dan Bern - Talkin' Woody, Bob, Bruce & Dan Blues

Joint Venture - Requiem Für Bob Dylan

Loudon Wainwright III - Talking New Bob Dylan Blues

Michael Hardie - I Dreamt I Met Bob Dylan

Throwing Muses - Dylan

Wilco - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Minutemen - Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs

Norman Lamont - The Ballad of Bob Dylan

Phil Ward - Bob Dylan's a Genius

Blue Sage - Ode to Bob Dylan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 16:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 1st, 2006, 06:19 GMT
Posts: 3604
Location: Sub specie aeternitatis
ejacky wrote:
there is also our friend Mark Knopfler on his very good solo album The ragpieker's dream in the song of the same name who begins like this : " When Jack FRost came for christmas "


I also remeber hearing a song of his with the line 'Nay more work on Maggie's farm'.
Not sure where that one comes from though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 17:19 GMT 

Joined: Sun January 25th, 2009, 12:03 GMT
Posts: 136
darkknight wrote:
some others on my hard drive:

Bob Schneider - The Ghost of Bob Dylan

Acoustic Wave Machine - I Killed Bob Dylan

Andrea Callegari - Bob Dylan

Charlie Chesterman - Wants To Be Bob Dylan

Dan Bern - Talkin' Woody, Bob, Bruce & Dan Blues

Joint Venture - Requiem Für Bob Dylan

Loudon Wainwright III - Talking New Bob Dylan Blues

Michael Hardie - I Dreamt I Met Bob Dylan

Throwing Muses - Dylan

Wilco - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Minutemen - Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs

Norman Lamont - The Ballad of Bob Dylan

Phil Ward - Bob Dylan's a Genius

Blue Sage - Ode to Bob Dylan


How about to zip them and load 'em up? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 17:20 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 18th, 2008, 16:41 GMT
Posts: 2759
Location: Aisle of Asda
Ralph McTell..Zimmerman Blues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WQlA5KY4c


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 17:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 7th, 2009, 15:16 GMT
Posts: 763
Location: I'm circlin' around the Southern Zone
John Lennon - God

"I don't believe in Zimmerman"

well, and Serve Yourself too...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 17:41 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon December 8th, 2008, 16:30 GMT
Posts: 51
Location: Scotland
Flags of Freedom by neil young - "listening to bob dylan singing in 1963."

and who could forget Gone Til November by wyclef - "knockin' on heavens door like bob dylan." bob even shows up in the video!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 18:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri September 1st, 2006, 06:19 GMT
Posts: 3604
Location: Sub specie aeternitatis
Isn't there a song on Greendale in which Neil sings:

"You've got too many secrets
you're invisible now
Bob Dylan said that
or something like that"

Or something to that effect?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 18:40 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 20:48 GMT
Posts: 9513
Location: Norway
jimmybeam12 wrote:
darkknight wrote:
some others on my hard drive:

Bob Schneider - The Ghost of Bob Dylan

Acoustic Wave Machine - I Killed Bob Dylan

Andrea Callegari - Bob Dylan

Charlie Chesterman - Wants To Be Bob Dylan

Dan Bern - Talkin' Woody, Bob, Bruce & Dan Blues

Joint Venture - Requiem Für Bob Dylan

Loudon Wainwright III - Talking New Bob Dylan Blues

Michael Hardie - I Dreamt I Met Bob Dylan

Throwing Muses - Dylan

Wilco - Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Minutemen - Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs

Norman Lamont - The Ballad of Bob Dylan

Phil Ward - Bob Dylan's a Genius

Blue Sage - Ode to Bob Dylan


How about to zip them and load 'em up? :)



Yeah, why not? :) and 'smoke' could load up that Waterboys track too :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 19:06 GMT 

Joined: Thu August 30th, 2007, 22:44 GMT
Posts: 3974
Hudson Hawk wrote:
I've also heard that the Bob/Bobby Springsteen sings to on "Devils & Dust" a couple of times is Dylan but I don't know...

I doubt that; Bobby is one of the stock names he's used in his songs for decades.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 19:24 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 21st, 2005, 19:33 GMT
Posts: 758
Location: savannah state
Bungalow Bill wrote:
Do you know a lot of songs about Dylan, or even mentioning him in the lyrics?

The firsts who come in my mind are:

David Bowie: Song for Bob Dylan
Syd Barett: Bob Dylan Blues
Cat Power: Song for Bobby (Very beautiful song!)

Songs where we can fing Dylan mentionend in the lyrics:
John Lennon: God ("I don't believe in Zimmerman")
The Who: The Seeker ("I asked Bobby Dylan")



Syd Barret-'Bob Dylan Blues'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 21:32 GMT 

Joined: Wed July 16th, 2008, 11:56 GMT
Posts: 506
"he is a jack of all trades,
and master of none,
some say he is finished,
but, he has only just begun..

Pluto


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2009, 21:44 GMT 

Joined: Thu December 11th, 2008, 07:24 GMT
Posts: 109
The Animals referenced Talkin' New York and said "I think Bob Dylan said that" in their song 'Bo Diddly', and Weird Al Yankovic did a trubute song called 'Bob'. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 02:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu February 2nd, 2006, 05:11 GMT
Posts: 3104
Location: Tokyo, Japan
The Counting Crows' "Mr. Jones" one is my favourite, but already mentioned. (The full reference in the quote is: "I wanna be Bob Dylan. / Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky. / Son, when everybody loves you, that's just about as funky as you can be.")

How about George Harrison's staggering All Things Must Pass album in 1970? The song, "Behind That Locked Door", is about Dylan being shy and hiding away at that time (supposedly Harrison was inspired to write it after the Isle of Wight show). (It's here if you don't know it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WK0Hj1xaJI)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu April 9th, 2009, 04:26 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 10th, 2006, 21:47 GMT
Posts: 2436
One of the earliest and most profound Dylan name checks was by Nils Lofgren (I Came To Dance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2WyQUyYR9U


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group