Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 20th, 2018, 14:52 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Thu June 14th, 2018, 22:48 GMT 

Joined: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:04 GMT
Posts: 598
J0hanna4Ever wrote:
Modern Times is easily my favorite album of this century. I have gone through three CDs. They all started to skip on Workingman's Blues #2 which I love so much. :D


It’s my favourite too, this was the album that changed me from being a casual Bob fan to obsessive overnight. It’s hard to explain but hearing it for the first time was something of an epiphany, I can quite honestly say it changed my life. I wrote my first two songs the night I first heard Modern Times, hadn’t ever even thought of writing one before.

Funny seeing reactions in 2006, Jerry looking in horror at a snippet of lyrics to a song I see as up there with a Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Thu June 14th, 2018, 23:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun February 10th, 2008, 23:27 GMT
Posts: 628
Location: Quebec City
foxy wrote:
this was the album that changed me from being a casual Bob fan to obsessive overnight. It’s hard to explain but hearing it for the first time was something of an epiphany, I can quite honestly say it changed my life.


same here ! I saw him live for the very first time in 2006...this makes Modern Times even more special to me, because it is linked to such an incredible, life-changing night. I was already, like you said, a casual fan, but after seeing him and hearing his new music live ..I fell in love.. and never looked back !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Thu June 14th, 2018, 23:13 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue February 17th, 2009, 02:57 GMT
Posts: 7037
Laura wrote:
That's really interesting, and would make sense since the title "Love & Theft" was taken from the Eric Lott book!


No, he more likely took it from Chaplin. Bob likes Chaplin and old movies and the title has an iconic ring to it that ties Bob to that stuff. The book Modern Times is just a book. I read it 20-25 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Thu June 14th, 2018, 23:25 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4137
foxy wrote:
J0hanna4Ever wrote:
Modern Times is easily my favorite album of this century. I have gone through three CDs. They all started to skip on Workingman's Blues #2 which I love so much. :D


It’s my favourite too, this was the album that changed me from being a casual Bob fan to obsessive overnight. It’s hard to explain but hearing it for the first time was something of an epiphany, I can quite honestly say it changed my life. I wrote my first two songs the night I first heard Modern Times, hadn’t ever even thought of writing one before.

Funny seeing reactions in 2006, Jerry looking in horror at a snippet of lyrics to a song I see as up there with a Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall. :lol:

It was many years before I listened to Blonde on Blonde and when I did, I became an obsessed Bob fan. I am so glad MY made you feel like writing and playing. I think MY might be perfect. I know Blonde on Blonde is. However, I think he should have added She's Your Lover now as there was room and it is an awesome song. I don't think there is a more beautiful love song than Sad Eyed Lady.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Thu June 14th, 2018, 23:27 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4137
foxy wrote:
J0hanna4Ever wrote:
Modern Times is easily my favorite album of this century. I have gone through three CDs. They all started to skip on Workingman's Blues #2 which I love so much. :D


It’s my favourite too, this was the album that changed me from being a casual Bob fan to obsessive overnight. It’s hard to explain but hearing it for the first time was something of an epiphany, I can quite honestly say it changed my life. I wrote my first two songs the night I first heard Modern Times, hadn’t ever even thought of writing one before.

Funny seeing reactions in 2006, Jerry looking in horror at a snippet of lyrics to a song I see as up there with a Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall. :lol:

It was many years before I listened to Blonde on Blonde and when I did, I became an obsessed Bob fan. I am so glad MT made you feel like writing and playing. I think MY might be perfect. I know Blonde on Blonde is. However, I think he should have added She's Your Lover now as there was room and it is an awesome song. I don't think there is a more beautiful love song than Sad Eyed Lady.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 06:54 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2133
Location: Ireland
Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Laura wrote:
That's really interesting, and would make sense since the title "Love & Theft" was taken from the Eric Lott book!


No, he more likely took it from Chaplin. Bob likes Chaplin and old movies and the title has an iconic ring to it that ties Bob to that stuff. The book Modern Times is just a book. I read it 20-25 years ago.


It is very likely, being Dylan who often thinks on multiple levels simultaneously, that both interpretations are correct.

As pointed out, Love and Theft was originally 'just a book', as was Tempest, come to think of it. Ironically, Together Through Life has recently lent its name to a book (about Bob).

One thing we can definitely say about Dylan-"he's very well read, it's well-known".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 12:19 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 4259
The Bob Dylan album by album podcast features MT this week. Worth a listen....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Mon June 18th, 2018, 10:28 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 1539
I like Modern Times but compared to Time Out Of Mind and Love and Theft I personally think it's a bit of a let down. I'm not that big a fan of Workingman Blues #2, can take or leave Nettie Moore. Thunder On The Mountain I quite like live but Beyond The Horizon is total yuk! Rollin' and Tumblin' and Someday Baby are OK but seem familiar, I'm sure Cream included Rollin' and Tumbin' on their first album. So the real tracks I like are When The Deal Goes Down, The Levee's Gonna Break, Spirit On The Water (although he included it in his live set for far too long) and of course Ain't Talkin'. Ain't Talkin' is the star of the show for me, wish he would play it live again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Modern Times
PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 19:35 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 27th, 2015, 14:26 GMT
Posts: 435
For me, Modern Times isn't great as TOOM and L&T.

This is the tracklist that I would have enjoey if Modern Times was released in 2009.

MODERN TIMES (2009):

1 - "Thunder On The Mountain (Modern Times)"
2 - "Someday Baby"
3 - "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"
4 - "When The Deal Goes Down"
5 - "Tell O' Bill"
6 - "Workingman's Blues #2"
7 - "Nettie Moore"
8 - "Forgetful Heart"
9 - "Waiting For You"
10 - "Spirit On The Water"
11 - "Ain't Talkin'" (Just Walkin')"


Tracks 1,2,4,6,7,10 from "Modern Times".
Tracks 3,8 from "Together Through Life".
Track 5 from "BS8 - Tell Tale Signs".
Track 9 from soundtrack.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group