Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed February 21st, 2018, 01:40 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sun December 17th, 2017, 18:15 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1976
Location: Ireland
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Damn, how I wish he’d break this out on stage!

Another interesting take on it, written a few years back on the site listed below:

The third track of the album, “Narrow Way” has a refrain which is multivalent but clearly references Jesus’ saying about the narrow way that leads to life (Matthew 7:13-14). In keeping with Christian teaching, the singer knows that he cannot possibly work his way up to God. He sings, “you’ll surely have to work down to me someday.” Dylan writes,


I've got a heavy stacked woman, with a smile on her face
And she has crowned, my soul with grace
I'm still hurting from an arrow, that pierced my chest
I'm gonna have to take my head, and bury it between your breasts
It's a long road, it's a long and narrow way
If I can't work up to you, you'll surely have to work down to me someday


Here the singer also compares himself to Saint Teresa of Avila, who is often depicted in ecstasy being stabbed in the breast by an Angel with an arrow. An image of the Saint graces the cover of the album. Indeed, the title of the record, Tempest, is more than just an allusion to Shakespeare’s play; it may also allude to the words of Teresa: “So it is, in truth; for I used frequently to recollect how our Lord, when the tempest arose, commanded the winds to be still over the sea.”


http://thepropertyofjesus.blogspot.com/ ... e.html?m=1


Might she be heavily stacked on account of her interior castle?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:15 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21720
Narrow Way Fan Club - update

IN:
Queen of Love
Goombay
Smoke
Dylankicks
Mjeff
RevolutionInTheAir
Mr. deejay
Bobbycat
Jeeps
Almotism
Tragos
Delvis_crasho
Broadwater
Mez
Mr.Judas Priest
Still Go Barefoot
The Great Wandu
CanIjumponitsometime
andrea75
SirDogg
Belle Laugh
Danced With A Stranger
sanQ
cuth
Viktor123
devy
Foggy
NZNZNZ
crimson flames
Ursie Green Pastures
Maready
Learners realm
Calico Jack
MrJudasPriest
Isis_
tellmemomma1966
John B. Stetson
schevling
hwy612008
LUCKY
Troubadour64 >
Merry Llama
Harry Truman
tensteel
Calico Jack
Tedham
Brairy Rose
East of Jordan
GoodnightSteve
Southside
Loose Fur
littlethief
Shitjoy
Tragos114
TTRHWilburysfan91
Trev
TheGunfighter
Nightingale's Code
The Killer Snark
Goin' to Alcapulco
Hibbing91
meuse2208
Anr Bjork
Sweetheart68
Shot of Mercy
Mickvet
frenchdog
Broken Back Flea
mystic garden
Kramos
Edith Piaf
slimtimslide
jonno_osmond
Scarletbegonias
man on a bridge


Maybe in?
Ain't talkin
Nappy
Goodnight Steve
Wineman
Ragman99
FairPlay
LionelM
circus sands
Manflesh
rolling_thunder
This is John
Angel With four faces
masked tortilla
muleskinner_blues
Sphere
adq64535
lowgen
Mrs. Henry
Peggy Night
raging_glory
ntrain
LUCKY
Giada
Untrodden Path
Saint Just
Johnnie Ray
madmanwithabox
leavinclaud
kuddukan
juststepintothearena
PiaM
Hunter Rose
Oakshallis


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 22:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed July 13th, 2016, 11:33 GMT
Posts: 364
Location: meadow in the mist/Helsingborg
Oakshallis wrote:
Wait, how narrow is the way??

:lol: It depends ... but might be like putting a Camel through a needels eye!

Anyway I'm in, BD official site says cake walking, some orher say its Cant walk them, I hear keep walking.
I'm in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 03:49 GMT 

Joined: Sat April 22nd, 2017, 12:50 GMT
Posts: 79
Quote:
:lol: It depends ... but might be like putting a Camel through a needels eye!

no comment
Quote:
Anyway I'm in, BD official site says cake walking, some orher say its Cant walk them, I hear keep walking.
I'm in


The official site also says: I won't even thing about, what I left behind, hear I won't even thinkabout, but that's just me. Sometimes I hear what I want to hear and it's completely off. Is thing even a verb? :lol: I'm kidding


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 03:11 GMT 

Joined: Mon January 8th, 2018, 15:57 GMT
Posts: 14
Love this song. My favorite off Tempest (Pay In Blood being a slightly distant second).
... I'm also hopeful that he'll tackle it live at some point. Could picture it happing as one of those one-offs during an early part of a tour


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 09:11 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 4112
Here's hoping 2018 sees the belated live debut of this Tempest corker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 11:07 GMT 

Joined: Wed November 29th, 2017, 06:20 GMT
Posts: 61
sometimes i wonder if we'll eva here this one. Here's to believing!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 12:06 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 5th, 2009, 22:01 GMT
Posts: 751
Some things are worth fighting for & this protest is one of them. Add my signature to the list!!and also my sidekick-Roy Dumpster's! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 12:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 17th, 2015, 01:28 GMT
Posts: 653
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Damn, how I wish he’d break this out on stage!

Another interesting take on it, written a few years back on the site listed below:

The third track of the album, “Narrow Way” has a refrain which is multivalent but clearly references Jesus’ saying about the narrow way that leads to life (Matthew 7:13-14). In keeping with Christian teaching, the singer knows that he cannot possibly work his way up to God. He sings, “you’ll surely have to work down to me someday.” Dylan writes,


I've got a heavy stacked woman, with a smile on her face
And she has crowned, my soul with grace
I'm still hurting from an arrow, that pierced my chest
I'm gonna have to take my head, and bury it between your breasts
It's a long road, it's a long and narrow way
If I can't work up to you, you'll surely have to work down to me someday


Here the singer also compares himself to Saint Teresa of Avila, who is often depicted in ecstasy being stabbed in the breast by an Angel with an arrow. An image of the Saint graces the cover of the album. Indeed, the title of the record, Tempest, is more than just an allusion to Shakespeare’s play; it may also allude to the words of Teresa: “So it is, in truth; for I used frequently to recollect how our Lord, when the tempest arose, commanded the winds to be still over the sea.”


http://thepropertyofjesus.blogspot.com/ ... e.html?m=1

Terrific analysis, thank you very much for sharing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 13:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 5th, 2009, 22:01 GMT
Posts: 751
Yes , thank you , barefoot. Normally I'd refrain from any analysis of lyrics, but fortunately, I had a good professor for my 'Literature of the Bible ' class. I would think heavy stacked means something like the arrow that pierced the singer's chest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 13:40 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21720
Lisa wrote:
I would think heavy stacked means something like the arrow that pierced the singer's chest.

Hmm. Explain?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Narrow Way Fan Club
PostPosted: Sun January 14th, 2018, 15:47 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 5th, 2009, 22:01 GMT
Posts: 751
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Lisa wrote:
I would think heavy stacked means something like the arrow that pierced the singer's chest.

Hmm. Explain?


It reminds me of a song by Robert Hunter called 'Aim at the Heart'. I didn't really pay too much attention to that professor .


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mystic garden


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group