Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 24th, 2014, 12:44 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 00:31 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 10122
Location: Wherever I am welcome
I hear the harmony also and love it. I'm dying to hear this song in it's entirety!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 00:41 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2011, 10:49 GMT
Posts: 827
Location: Paris
Is it the first verse we're listening to? What do you all think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 00:47 GMT 

Joined: Fri April 20th, 2007, 14:04 GMT
Posts: 429
johnwesley61 wrote:
Is it the first verse we're listening to? What do you all think?


I think so. It sounds like it's setting the scene for what one of the previews called "a tale of doom, fate and potential redemption."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 00:55 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2011, 10:49 GMT
Posts: 827
Location: Paris
That's what I think too. I really can't wait to listen the rest of the song. There are songs that I know I will love when I hear the first seconds. I discover the song, thinking "wow I'm loving it, this is my kind of song". Scarlet Town is one of them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 01:03 GMT 

Joined: Fri May 28th, 2010, 06:16 GMT
Posts: 136
rwasser wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Rwasser: Since I'm such a lazy bastard regarding trying to find the connection to all this in the previous posts and links, can you please just extrapolate what you are talking about? I love Precious Angel, Desire, Señor, etc, but I'm not sure what your point is and how it ties to Scarlet Town. My problem and can you help me understand please?


I think it's not much use (and too early, too) in comparing a song we did not hear in its entirety and we don't know nothing on its impact to the new album or how the song works in the context of the new album to other songs from another album. So I did the same by making a leap backwards in time (unsaid, though) and used Nekronaut's statement on albums and songs I choose by random. And the statement don't work, does it? Not then (by hindsight, I know) and not now.

Plus, I want to hear the new (or every) album as a whole without ranking it to others, not during listening and not at all. This only distracts you from taking it in. It depends so much on your mood to choose which one you put into your player. I can enjoy, say, Dylan (the infamous one), as much I can enjoy Blood On The Tracks. Not on the same day, that's true.


I agree that it is unfair to start making those comparisons, but I definitely have. We won't really know until a full listen, and 30+ times after that. But I do think it is all part of the fanfare and to me it is exciting!! Yes indeed of little use, but this is the only album besides TTL and the Christmas album that I have had to wait for the release. I have really searched and pined for info and sound bites and it is just fun. :D I have been a Dylan fan for about 17 years but not this deep until after MT.

That being said, I think this album is already better than MT...and we haven't even heard the ballads yet!! Sorry Goombay...I know you love MT. :lol:

PS - I can't hear the harmony.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 01:15 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15405
Shoeless Hunter wrote:
... this is the only album besides TTL and the Christmas album that I have had to wait for the release.

...That being said, I think this album is already better than MT...

out of all 3 of those albums, I'm thinkin' that this will FINALLY be a release worth waiting for and will blow those last 3 out of the water (which shouldn't be too difficult to do).
This is the Year of Tempest!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 02:02 GMT 

Joined: Fri May 28th, 2010, 06:16 GMT
Posts: 136
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Shoeless Hunter wrote:
... this is the only album besides TTL and the Christmas album that I have had to wait for the release.

...That being said, I think this album is already better than MT...

out of all 3 of those albums, I'm thinkin' that this will FINALLY be a release worth waiting for and will blow those last 3 out of the water (which shouldn't be too difficult to do).
This is the Year of Tempest!


Hehe...I am so glad to hear you say that!! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 11:10 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 22nd, 2007, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 1204
Don't know if this was mentioned, but Harold Lapidus shows a possible source for nearly all the lines in that verse:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bob-dyl ... arlet-town

Quote:
A one minute excerpt of Dylan's new song, "Scarlet Town," debuted on Cinemax the other night. According to the Desolation Row Information Service, via "jclibby" and "Wiebke," many of the lyrics can be found in the work of mid-19th century American author, John Greenleaf Whittier:

"To Avis Keene," 1850:

The palm-leaf shadow for the hot noon hours,
And on its branches dry
Calls out the acacia's flowers

"The Chapel Of The Hermits," 185:

The beggar crouching at the gate

"The Wish Of To-Day," 1848:

I make my humble wishes known

"The Chapel Of The Hermits," 1851:

Who touched His seamless garment's hem

"A Spiritual Manifestation," 1870:

I touched the garment-hem of truth

Transcribed lyrics of Dylan's "Scarlet Town":

In Scarlet Town in the hot noon hours:
There's palm lit (leaf) shadows and scattered flowers
Beggars crouching at the gate
Help comes but it comes too late
By marble slabs and in fields of stone
You make your humble wishes known
I touched (attached) the garment but the hem was torn
in scarlet town, where I was born.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 11:20 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 29453
He's a worse copy-and-paster than Bob! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 11:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 2nd, 2007, 23:47 GMT
Posts: 72
Location: London, UK
Having listened to the clip more times than I'd care to admit I have come to the conclusion that there is no harmony. What I thought was a harmony is actually the violin, and my brain for some reason filled in the words.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 14:51 GMT 

Joined: Tue May 24th, 2011, 01:37 GMT
Posts: 63
I went to the market, to buy some corn
in Scarlet Town where I was born.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 15:09 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
midnightcowboy wrote:
Having listened to the clip more times than I'd care to admit I have come to the conclusion that there is no harmony. What I thought was a harmony is actually the violin, and my brain for some reason filled in the words.


i recorded the show and listened and i dont think there is any either. :)
however as like in the secret bob codes that dont exist, the fact that we cant find it dont mean it dont exist. :wink: (we can always make em up thats the ticket :wink: )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 16:20 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 14220
Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
Does anyone else think this sounds like Bob just pressed the "Spooky #5" button on the secret panel they keep in the tour bus?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 16:51 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 20:48 GMT
Posts: 7107
Location: In the land of the midnight sun
Johanna Parker wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:


I can't stop listening to this, even though it's only 59 seconds....


I can't either. I'm so excited about this! I can't sit still!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Tue August 21st, 2012, 23:31 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15405
Johanna Parker wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:


I can't stop listening to this, even though it's only 59 seconds....


SirDogg wrote:
I can't either. I'm so excited about this! I can't sit still!

Kinda makes ya do the Dogg, no?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 00:21 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon August 31st, 2009, 00:16 GMT
Posts: 2017
raging_glory wrote:
I hear the harmony also and love it. I'm dying to hear this song in it's entirety!!


Harmony? Do you mean the high fiddle or pedal steel sound? I don't hear anything like another voice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 00:28 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
raging_glory wrote:
I hear the harmony also and love it. I'm dying to hear this song in it's entirety!!



at first i heard too on the clip but when i heard on the dvr i dont think its there. since it was recorded , i think its the speakers bouncing on the recorder. :wink:

i kinda like the clip more than the clean version. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 00:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 9th, 2011, 00:25 GMT
Posts: 4679
I think Dylan, a noted dog lover, may have included some harmonies especially for his canine fans! Absolute gent!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 00:40 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
Trev wrote:
I think Dylan, a noted dog lover, may have included some harmonies especially for his canine fans! Absolute gent!



true us old folks without the hearing aid have trouble hearin the dog whistle. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 00:41 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 10122
Location: Wherever I am welcome
goombay wrote:
raging_glory wrote:
I hear the harmony also and love it. I'm dying to hear this song in it's entirety!!



at first i heard too on the clip but when i heard on the dvr i dont think its there. since it was recorded , i think its the speakers bouncing on the recorder. :wink:

i kinda like the clip more than the clean version. :wink:


I heard quiet vocal harmony yesterday through my crappy laptop speakers and just now with headphones, I don't. I still hear something but it isn't the fiddle and I don't think it is steel pedal, either. Whatever it is, I like it :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 00:57 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
Quote:
I heard quiet vocal harmony yesterday through my crappy laptop speakers and just now with headphones, I don't. I still hear something but it isn't the fiddle and I don't think it is steel pedal, either. Whatever it is, I like it :)

if it dont have the harmony, having one would have made it only so much better. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 01:08 GMT 

Joined: Fri April 20th, 2007, 14:04 GMT
Posts: 429
I was listening to "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" this morning (only four months to go!), and one thing I really like about it is how the female vocals lift Dylan's and create a warm, full sound. I don't hear anything like that on Scarlet Town, but it would be a shame if he didn't explore that again on a record.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 01:17 GMT 

Joined: Fri May 28th, 2010, 06:16 GMT
Posts: 136
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Don't know if this was mentioned, but Harold Lapidus shows a possible source for nearly all the lines in that verse:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bob-dyl ... arlet-town

Quote:
A one minute excerpt of Dylan's new song, "Scarlet Town," debuted on Cinemax the other night. According to the Desolation Row Information Service, via "jclibby" and "Wiebke," many of the lyrics can be found in the work of mid-19th century American author, John Greenleaf Whittier:

"To Avis Keene," 1850:

The palm-leaf shadow for the hot noon hours,
And on its branches dry
Calls out the acacia's flowers

"The Chapel Of The Hermits," 185:

The beggar crouching at the gate

"The Wish Of To-Day," 1848:

I make my humble wishes known

"The Chapel Of The Hermits," 1851:

Who touched His seamless garment's hem

"A Spiritual Manifestation," 1870:

I touched the garment-hem of truth

Transcribed lyrics of Dylan's "Scarlet Town":

In Scarlet Town in the hot noon hours:
There's palm lit (leaf) shadows and scattered flowers
Beggars crouching at the gate
Help comes but it comes too late
By marble slabs and in fields of stone
You make your humble wishes known
I touched (attached) the garment but the hem was torn
in scarlet town, where I was born.


:( ...That kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit. At least it's not all from the same year :!:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 01:19 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
jclibby wrote:
I was listening to "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" this morning (only four months to go!), and one thing I really like about it is how the female vocals lift Dylan's and create a warm, full sound. I don't hear anything like that on Scarlet Town, but it would be a shame if he didn't explore that again on a record.



i was recentely listening to that and its quite good, excpet that there are too many xmas songs, but the sound of it is very interesting. :D i beleive bob will have that type of sound on record again if he expects the song in question requires it. songs have a certain character that cannot be undermined. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Scarlet Town
PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2012, 01:36 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 15405
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Don't know if this was mentioned, but Harold Lapidus shows a possible source for nearly all the lines in that verse:

http://www.examiner.com/article/bob-dyl ... arlet-town

Quote:
A one minute excerpt of Dylan's new song, "Scarlet Town," debuted on Cinemax the other night. According to the Desolation Row Information Service, via "jclibby" and "Wiebke," many of the lyrics can be found in the work of mid-19th century American author, John Greenleaf Whittier:

"To Avis Keene," 1850:

The palm-leaf shadow for the hot noon hours,
And on its branches dry
Calls out the acacia's flowers

"The Chapel Of The Hermits," 185:

The beggar crouching at the gate

"The Wish Of To-Day," 1848:

I make my humble wishes known

"The Chapel Of The Hermits," 1851:

Who touched His seamless garment's hem

"A Spiritual Manifestation," 1870:

I touched the garment-hem of truth

Transcribed lyrics of Dylan's "Scarlet Town":

In Scarlet Town in the hot noon hours:
There's palm lit (leaf) shadows and scattered flowers
Beggars crouching at the gate
Help comes but it comes too late
By marble slabs and in fields of stone
You make your humble wishes known
I touched (attached) the garment but the hem was torn
in scarlet town, where I was born.


Shoeless Hunter wrote:
:( ...That kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit. At least it's not all from the same year :!:

Do you think Bob knows about this Internet-thingy yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Wicked Messenger


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group