Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 21st, 2014, 16:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bootleg Series 10
PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 03:29 GMT 

Many of the items on these wishlists are the type of things you would listen once and never listen to again (i.e, Bootleg Series #'s 4 thru 7, and #9). Please, no "Supper Club," no "Renaldo And Clara," and no '80-1 shows. Especially no "Supper Club," we already have it in excellent quality and honestly it just isn't that good.

I want stuff I have never heard before, and maybe not even rumored to exist, ala BS 1-3 and 8; those were both revelatory. I want more outtakes and unreleased tracks, preferably from 1980 and forward. The outtakes from '92-3 and the Broomberg Sessions would be a great starting point.

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 10:05 GMT 

masked and anonymous, masked and anonymous, masked and anonymous, masked and anonymous, masked and anonymous, ...

Come on, they have 22 songs performed live on tape. They're sitting on a gold mine. What are they waiting for? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2012, 10:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

Tippy wrote:
Many of the items on these wishlists are the type of things you would listen once and never listen to again (i.e, Bootleg Series #'s 4 thru 7, and #9).

:shock: Maybe you wouldn't listen but once, however I think you are in the minority. Bootleg 4, 5, and 6 are exceptional and have been played countless times by me. I don't have 7 and 9 yet, so I can't pass an opinion there.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2012, 00:46 GMT 

Tippy wrote:
Many of the items on these wishlists are the type of things you would listen once and never listen to again (i.e, Bootleg Series #'s 4 thru 7, and #9)

I find this statement absolutely baffling. Bootleg Series #4 and 5 "the kind of thing you would listen to once and never again". You're talking about the best two Bob Dylan live releases ever IMO (and #6 is no slouch either)!
If you only want studio you've never heard before, expect to be disappointed. There's not much un-bootlegged stuff left and much of it is probably pretty underwhelming. "The Bromberg Sessions" may be an exception, but don't expect many more unknown masterpieces like "Red River Shore" (a song that BTW had been rumored since 1997).

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 20:22 GMT 

HardTimes wrote:
Tippy wrote:
Many of the items on these wishlists are the type of things you would listen once and never listen to again (i.e, Bootleg Series #'s 4 thru 7, and #9)

I find this statement absolutely baffling. Bootleg Series #4 and 5 "the kind of thing you would listen to once and never again". You're talking about the best two Bob Dylan live releases ever IMO (and #6 is no slouch either)!

I can't explain other than I find them uninteresting.

#4 just isn't that good a concert. Despite its historical significance, Bob sounds uninspired, except for LARS, and The Band seems off. Also, I was expecting a big sonic upgrade and we get spliced together versions of "Desolation Row" and "Visions Of Johanna." #5--never been a fan of the Rolling Thunder Revue, and I don't think it is a particularly good setlist. #6 is, well, boring.

Generally speaking, when I listen to live Bob it is Never-Ending tour stuff.

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 20:49 GMT 

Tippy wrote:
[q #6 is, well, boring.

You're right, mate, I'm as big a fan of that period of Bob as anyone, but I find that # 6 gets on my wick. :o He's already starting to sound a bit like a stuffy codger.

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 21:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Which one was the NDH release? That shouldn't have even counted as a BS. That one was worst... plus the way that they are milking the '60s. I never even bought Witmark Demos and Live '64.

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 22:03 GMT 

Gpel era shows or "Best Of" live NET esp 95-03. Compilation great versions of 40 songs 4CD set... Disc 1 60's songs = A great Desoltation, Visions, Sweet Marie, Queen Jane, Tom Thumb, Love Minus Zero, It's Alright Ma, Gates Of Eden, Hattie Carrol, Boots Hard rain, etc. Disc 2 = 70's songs Romance Durango, If Not for you, Senor, New Morning, Slow Train, Change My WAy Of Thinking, Man in Me, One More Cup Coffee, Bllod On tracks Cuts...... Disc 3 = 80's Tight Connection, Never gonna Be the Same Again Jokerman, Man Of Peace, I & I, Blind Willie, Rank Strangers, Everything Brokem, Man In Black Coat, Ring Them Bells, etc etc. Disc 4 TOOM - TTL Best Of top Grade Versions (throw In Cats Born In time on Disc 3 or 4) Disc 4 Po' Boy, Sugar Baby, Trying to Get Heaven, Cold Irons, Beyond Here Lies Nothin. Forgetful Heart, Thunder, Spirit, Aint talkin, Nettie Moore, Mississippi, Till I Fell in Love With you etc etc. I would love this type thing. Not full complete Shows just great killer misc live renditions! MEZ

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 22:58 GMT 

Mez wrote:
Gpel era shows or "Best Of" live NET esp 95-03. Compilation great versions of 40 songs 4CD set... Disc 1 60's songs = A great Desoltation, Visions, Sweet Marie, Queen Jane, Tom Thumb, Love Minus Zero, It's Alright Ma, Gates Of Eden, Hattie Carrol, Boots Hard rain, etc. Disc 2 = 70's songs Romance Durango, If Not for you, Senor, New Morning, Slow Train, Change My WAy Of Thinking, Man in Me, One More Cup Coffee, Bllod On tracks Cuts...... Disc 3 = 80's Tight Connection, Never gonna Be the Same Again Jokerman, Man Of Peace, I & I, Blind Willie, Rank Strangers, Everything Brokem, Man In Black Coat, Ring Them Bells, etc etc. Disc 4 TOOM - TTL Best Of top Grade Versions (throw In Cats Born In time on Disc 3 or 4) Disc 4 Po' Boy, Sugar Baby, Trying to Get Heaven, Cold Irons, Beyond Here Lies Nothin. Forgetful Heart, Thunder, Spirit, Aint talkin, Nettie Moore, Mississippi, Till I Fell in Love With you etc etc. I would love this type thing. Not full complete Shows just great killer misc live renditions! MEZ

You got it right Mez. Sony (phony) should hire you about the Bootleg Series. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 23:05 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Mez wrote:
You got it right Mez. Sony (phony) should hire you about the Bootleg Series. :wink:
does anyone know if they've done any professional recordings of NET shows? if they did something like that, would it just be audience recordings cleaned up?

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2012, 23:35 GMT 

Heard it said that every Bob Dylan show since 1974 has been recorded. The ratio of professional to audience recordings, I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 00:43 GMT 

Yes and I meant even if we have these misc cuts from tapers, is one thing but all cleaned up, equalized professionally etc, I just think it'd be a home run. We don't need Dick's picks ala Grateful Dead, just the MEZ's picks would suffice just fine..... Listen to me closely Sony a Grand Slam!!!!! MEZ

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 00:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

thisisjohn wrote:
does anyone know if they've done any professional recordings of NET shows? if they did something like that, would it just be audience recordings cleaned up?

They played a tape of the previous night's (?) show at Dresden this last tour, during the day.... people thought it was soundcheck at first, but we could see there was no-one actually on stage. They were live recordings and they did have Bob singing. So yes, they tape things.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 02:04 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Which one was the NDH release? That shouldn't have even counted as a BS. That one was worst... plus the way that they are milking the '60s. I never even bought Witmark Demos and Live '64.

I listened to The Witmark Demos once and have not been tempted to listen again. None of the performances are up to other versions on official releases.
MASKED AND ANONYMOUS outtakes would be great.
One of the live shows from the gospel era.
Mid to late '90s NET.
What ever it is, please no more '60s.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 06:32 GMT 

According reliable sources he recorded every single show since 1974 but they are all unmixed recodings and Bob keeps them for archival reasons.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 20:43 GMT 

OUT-TAKES !!

am aware of some stuff from NEW MORNING...very different then released...

lost album with BROMBERG perhaps ?

maybe more or better mixed versions of cd i own called GOD ONLY KNOWS...was right before SHOT OF LOVE

and yes...OUT - TAKES ! ! !

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 21:38 GMT 

I wonder if they have the live performances of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts and Black Diamond Bay from 5/25/76. If so, I would love to hear them.

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/tour/1976-05-25-salt-palace

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 21:55 GMT 

Wouldn't it be great to get Bob's favourite NET performance? I bet it'd be an interesting choice! With liner notes by Bob explaining his choice.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2012, 22:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

patford wrote:
I listened to The Witmark Demos once and have not been tempted to listen again. None of the performances are up to other versions on official releases.
MASKED AND ANONYMOUS outtakes would be great.
One of the live shows from the gospel era.
Mid to late '90s NET.
What ever it is, please no more '60s.

^^^^^
This all the way.... plus Bromberg Sessions.

PostPosted: Wed August 1st, 2012, 02:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm OK with just about anything that Dylan, Inc. chooses to grace us with.
Hopefully no more repackaging of the same stuff, but rather something unique, unreleased and new.
Release it and I will pay to get it.

PostPosted: Wed August 1st, 2012, 05:32 GMT 

superhuman crew wrote:
I wonder if they have the live performances of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts and Black Diamond Bay from 5/25/76. If so, I would love to hear them.

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/tour/1976-05-25-salt-palace

IF IT WAS REALLY PLAYED!!!!
We know at least from three more and less reliable newspaper sources that Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts was done as duet with Joan Baez.
Black Diamond Bay is mentioned only in one source and was probably Idiot wind or One more cup of coffee.

But it is a fact that we don't know exactly that these songs were even played.

Look at the BD Com setlist. p.ex Wichita. It is incomplete!! Why? Bob Dylan com used only the fan lists and even made a lot of mistakes in the setlists.

PostPosted: Tue August 7th, 2012, 03:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Late 90s / early 2000s would be OK.
And is overdue!

PostPosted: Tue August 7th, 2012, 04:12 GMT 

Wow, there is some hostility on this thread. I don't think that the live official bootleg albums are "slouches," though the Rolling Thunder one is a little underwhelming considering it's a compilation and not a complete show, but I understand why that was done and I don't entirely mind the compilation. Certainly, they were better than any of the live releases officially released already: Real Live or Dylan & the Dead anyone?

I also there is plenty more in the vaults to be released. Recording Sheets or Track Sheets (whatever they are called) have been revealed as being inaccurate or incomplete at times, as Dylan just named takes whatever he wanted, regardless of what the song was actually called. So, in terms of the 1960's we may have heard most of it, perhaps even in the early to mid 70's. But around the time of Street Legal til Shot of Love, Dylan had the Rundown Studios, which were his solely during that period, where no one else could get a hold of those outtakes as easily, and I'm sure records aren't so great for that time period as well. He would go in anytime and record things to a Tascam 8 track, or so the story goes, probably something a bit better than that, 24 track recording was used on Street Legal and I'm sure that is true of the latter ones, though Slow Train and Saved were recorded elsewhere.

Apparently, there were a few alternate takes from Love & Theft that were recorded and were considered for Vol. 8, but substituted with live tracks instead (maybe that was just Lonesome Day Blues). Bromberg Sessions exist and don't forget about the demos recorded prior to Time Out Of Mind...or Chicago After Dark??

So, are there more outtakes out there? I would say probably more than we can imagine there being, considering what we have already.

I'd personally like to hear some more of the 1978 shows or a Never Ending Tour that only exists to us in low quality audio form.

PostPosted: Tue August 7th, 2012, 12:23 GMT 

Hopefully a NET compilation, even though it would take a lot of effort on the compiler's part (due to the wildly varying quality of shows - like the Supper Club where most of it is crap and then you have a great version of Ring Them Bells). If the sound is high quality and the best performances are chosen, even non-NET fans like myself would enjoy it. Those live soundboard Bonnaroo 2004 songs they released were superb.

PostPosted: Tue August 7th, 2012, 12:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

Bootleg Series 10: Early Roman Kings (Amazon version)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next