Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri April 18th, 2014, 13:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Live At Budokan
PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2012, 23:32 GMT 

Isis_ wrote:
MaxKL wrote:

It's a shame that they didn't include some of the material from earlier in the tour as well; Tangled Up In Blue is probably the most glaring, ridiculous and dumb exclusion because that was simply beautiful in this period and the Street-Legal material like Where Are You Tonight? and Changing Of The Guards would've broken up the 'greatest hits' vibe very nicely.

He hadn't added them to the set yet. They came later, and if I recall correctly Tangled came in much later. But I agree them versions of Tangled are beautiful. I don't think he added Where Are You Tonight or Changing of The Guards till Street Legal came out though. Although I could be and think be wrong.

Ah, you're right; I was getting mixed up with what came first and after. Thanks for the correction. Still, releasing a live album from the very first gigs of a tour does seem a bit strange. They missed out on a lot of greatness. :(

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 03:00 GMT 

It's a great album and I am going to get the vinyl. I am charging my MP3 so I can listen to the WHOLE thing later on. Stuart and Schevling, it is a great introductory album to Dylan songs because it contains a lot of his so called "hits". Pussycat, what ARE your favorite Dylan albums??? Love, Joanna XXO

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 03:23 GMT 

I don't care for Maggies, LARS, Coffee, Going Gone, Oh Sister and Knockin.. Really enjoy all the other tunes on this one! MEZ

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 03:25 GMT 

What other tunes??? :lol: Oh, I Want You and Along The Watchtower. Love, Joanna XOXO

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 06:31 GMT 

Johanna, Love Mr Tambourine Man, Love minus Zero, Shelter, Thin Man, Shall Be Released, Is Your Love In Vain, Blowin, Just Like A Woman, Simple Twist, Watchtower, All I want To Do, It's Alright Ma, Forever Young, 13 I love, (The 5 I mentioned previous thread that I do not like), & I moved LARS, along with Don't think Twice & Times to Neutral category. So 13 me loves, 5 me doesn't & 3 so so using Cost -Benefit analysis makes at Budokan a big winner in my estimation for Then MEZ! lol

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 06:44 GMT 

I was trying to go through all the songs, but my MP3 isn't charged enough and my CDs are at my house. I would probably agree with you, but maybe the songs would be different. I don't remember LARS being exceptional and I don't remember much about Don't Think Twice. I am going to listen to the WHOLE thing tomorrow, but I guess if I like most of the songs, it is pretty good. I probably wouldn't have given it much of a 2nd or 3rd listen if I Want You and Along The Watchtower hadn't been so good. I wish that MP3 would finish charging!!! Soon, I will have my CDs in hand all the time and I can't wait. I like pretty much all of Blonde on Blonde except for the first song and again, I don't know why; it just never appealed to me. I really like Oh Mercy, but there are a couple of songs I don't care for, but since I love the other ones, it is one of my favorites. I don't know if there is a bad one on BOTT and I really like Desire too, but although I pretty much like the whole CD, I think some of the songs aren't that great when it comes to songwriting, but I like them. However, that's just a few of the songs and I wouldn't pick them out as great songs, but I do like them. Time Out of Mind - very mixed on that one, but I like it more and more. I didn't think it was a great album the first time I heard it though. I do like Modern Times a lot, but I think TTL is pretty much boring and maybe I need to listen to that again; I just can't get past Jolene and My Wife's Hometown!!! Maybe I don't like the wife reference!!! I do find that with say "Self Portrait", you appreciate the albums more, the more you listen to them. Sometimes, I play Oh Mercy for days on end and then it will be BOTT. Probably Blonde on Blonde and BOTT are the most perfect albums for me, but I like Budokan because there are so many good songs and I Want You. I need the vinyl badly!!! :D Love, Joanna XOXO P.S. It took me many years to appreciate Boots of Spanish Leather and then I heard TATE do it and I thought it might be the most beautiful song ever written. I still have to get through 2 more CDs on Chimes of Freedom. I do like it; some songs are exceptional like that TATE one and some are okay. Really though, it's worth the money. I liked the "I'm Not There" soundtrack, but my favorite song is Bob singing that. It's worth buying the whole CD just to hear that! Now, Budokan, I just like, don't know why, but I do and I know that there has never been a better version of I Want You. If so, please send me it. I do love that song!! :D

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 07:49 GMT 

Johanna,I want you is the "creme de la creme" of Budokan for me. I really love the rendition of Love Minus Zero/ No Limit, & Tambourine Man gets me moving each time. Also, Is you Love in Vain & forever young are incredible versions to my ears, as well. These are the standout cuts for me for Budokan. I Love Oh Mercy, TOOM (not crazy about the production overall- perfect for 3-4 tracks imo but detracts from the others; I prefer many of the TOOM songs live for that reason) Huge fan of Love & Theft and Modern Times, Really like half of TTl. Finally also agree Mez is not a big fan of Rainy Day from Blonde on Blonde. Let's stop here for fear of reprisal for hi-jacking the Budokan thread by discussing other albums. lol Some here can be very sensitive to such matters! MEZ

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 12:44 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
Everyone who's a fan of the Street Legal go to this thread, and get this show! One of the best of that tour, listening to it now, just got it now. Go down the fan page to get the sendspace file. Thanks to him!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59406

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 13:32 GMT 

Called up to my Dad's house and he has digged out his vinyl copy of 'Budokan'

Looking forward to giving it a spin!

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 13:37 GMT 

Isis_ wrote:
Everyone who's a fan of the Street Legal go to this thread, and get this show! One of the best of that tour, listening to it now, just got it now. Go down the fan page to get the sendspace file. Thanks to him!

http://www.expectingrain.com/discussion ... =9&t=59406

Thanks man, listening to it now, it's brilliant!

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 21:33 GMT 

It's so strange because he was in Tempe three nights later - November 18 and it was THE worst Dylan concert I have ever seen and I have seen quite a few. I do have a story about that night and it involves Billy Cross and the rest of the group including Bob. Bob was very sad and the next night in Tucson is when he "supposedly" saw Jesus. All I know is the night before, he was very, very sad. My friend and I almost went to Tucson, but I didn't want to because the concert was so awful. I wish I had so I could know what really happened, but I didn't. My friend still has her backstage pass. Any doubters, contact me and I will give you her name on Facebook and you can ask her or go back on her Timeline or posts and you will see it. She describes Bob perfectly with his towels over his face, etc. I wonder what happened in those three days between L.A. and Tempe? I was going to start guessing, but really I shouldn't, but I do know he was upset about Sara because I was told that. Everybody said it was awful that attended the Tempe show; now that would be a good book to read - what really happened that week and did he really see Jesus then in Tucson or was the conversion later??? Clinton Heylin's version has been discounted by many. I wish I had been at Budokan; I would like to go to Japan. I would like to go anywhere right now!!! My MP3 is charged. I wonder if I can listen to it for an hour by the pool without being considered rude??? Love, Joanna XOXO

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 23:37 GMT 

J0hanna4Ever wrote:
OK, I only know two people who like this album as much as I do and most people really diss it. I think his cover of I Want You is so superb and so poignant on this album that I sometimes just listen to that over and over. Who likes it and who doesn't, and why? I listen to this a lot; maybe more than any other because it has so many great songs on it. 8) Love, Joanna XOXOX

One of my fav Dylan albums.
One of my fav live performances ever.

These are the best versions I've ever heard of these songs:
Mr Tambourine Man
I Shall Be Released
All I Really Want To Do
Forever Young

These ones are incredibily good and *different*
(.....speaking of which......when someone thinks dylan is reinveinting his work in the NET....well.....go listen to these songs....:o)
All Along the Watchtower
Oh, Sister
It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding)

These are great:
The Times They Are A-Changing
Shelter From the Storm
Love Minus Zero / No Limit
Like A Rolling Stone

Excellent album, all and all.
Extraordinary performance.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 00:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

^Agreed. Moments of incredible brilliance and creativity thrown into a Las Vegas style performance... and the stage clothing is priceless. Dylan on top of his game, it is.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 01:14 GMT 

The stage clothing is priceles. Do you think it was Nudie? If you go on the official site, Dylan isn't mentioned, but I am thinking it would be Nudies. Why would you wear anything less? I would die for a Nudies shirt! 8) Love, Joanna XOXO P.S. Or is it Elvis's white suit when he was thinner! 8) If so, it was still a Nudies.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 02:47 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:
It's one of the few official vinyls I don't own. I don't feel like paying 9-12 dollars for it.

Nine to twelve dollars?!!! My heavens, its a bargain at three times that!

Maybe it's a New York thing, but I find it for that price all the time here. Some even come with a poster for that price.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 12:20 GMT 

TangledUpInBlack wrote:
I'm listening to it for the first time now. I like it! :) It's different! I love the version of I Want You on it!

I Want You is the only song I listen to regularly from this album. It is also one of my favorite recordings of Dylan. I think it is a brief breath of inspiration on a terribly deadly boring album.

I am thankful, though, for the album solely because of I Want You. It is worth the price of the entire album.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 13:25 GMT 

Henry Porter wrote:
TangledUpInBlack wrote:
I'm listening to it for the first time now. I like it! :) It's different! I love the version of I Want You on it!

I Want You is the only song I listen to regularly from this album. It is also one of my favorite recordings of Dylan. I think it is a brief breath of inspiration on a terribly deadly boring album.

I am thankful, though, for the album solely because of I Want You. It is worth the price of the entire album.

Henry, I can accept that and it MAY very well be worth the price of the whole album. I just listened to it right now too. Love, Joanna XXOxo

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 17:47 GMT 

My first Dylan-album!
The first few notes of Mr.Tambourine Man,right after the needle hits the groove,still bring back memories.(I don't have the CD,only the record). And I still have the poster that was included with the LP. It's alright Ma and I want you are the highlights.
It will always be in my personal Top 10 of Dylans albums.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 19:31 GMT 

I really enjoy it. Specially Blowin' in the wind followed bu Just like a woman. But there are many other enjoyable and interesting versions: Love minus zero, Don't think twice, Like a rollig stone, I shall be released, All along the watchtower, All I really want to do, It's allright ma, Forever young and The times they are a-changin' are the ones I like the best. I recommend to You all relisten to them, or looking for it if You never heard it.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 20:14 GMT 

I concur with the love of I want you from Budokan, its the best version ever.

I overall like this album, however I actually enjoy the Rundown Rehearsals even more.

Ian Wallace did a fine job on the tour on drums, but was actually the 3rd drummer lined up. Howie Wyeth was invited first and showed up to Santa Monica with a Monkey firmly attached to his back after being told to leave it in New York. So Denny Siewell (From Wings) took over and then couldn't get travel Visa's due to being with McCartney for that well publicized Pot bust in Japan.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 22:54 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I love this album... it's a real jaunty, hippity-hoppity sort of album... it oozes fun by the bucket-load... however, I was rather consternated to discover that Budokan is actually in Japan... why did Bob feel that he had to go all the way to Japan to record a live album... surely it would have been more sensible to have recorded the album in the US... I can only conclude that their must have be tax reasons for dragging folk all the way over to Japan to record the album.

That said... it's a brilliant album... and Dylan's first dalliance with reggae... and the album that inspired a certain little boy to look towards music... a certain Master Marley, no less... without this album we probably would not have had the other Bob... Marley!

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2012, 00:58 GMT 

It certainly is an interesting album. It's not one I return to often, and every time I do I find something to commend it, but there is ALOT of crap on this record.

Two thoughts:

1.) I really think he was trying for a Springsteen-vibe with this, and in that regard he completely missed the point, though I would to see him tour with a band like this now.

2.) Reading the comments here, has anyone noticed that almost all the songs have a "hate it/love it" dynamic going on? There is no consensus at all.

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2012, 04:04 GMT 

That's why I made the thread - I wanted to know who hated it and who liked it and why. You are all going into a little dossier in my head!!! :lol: No, I just love it and it gets dissed a lot and I am glad that really quite a few people do like it. I finally got some vinyl and where's Troub???? I got Empire Burlesque and Nashville Skyline. I wish they had Budokan. :( :( I am on a quest now! 8) Where is Troub?? Love, Joanna XOXO

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2012, 07:15 GMT 

My Dad's copy still has the poster in it :D

PostPosted: Tue July 17th, 2012, 09:01 GMT 

irishbob wrote:
My Dad's copy still has the poster in it :D

Ah yes! We have a vinyl copy with the poster in it too.