Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 22nd, 2014, 17:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 19:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Train-I-Ride wrote:
Well there you go, there's his streak. Modern Times and TTL, #1, Highway 61 Revisted and Blonde on Blonde, not #1. That's modern times for you.

I'm not claiming these are better albums (although I rank L&T very highly), but that those who say that from an objective standpoint Bob Dylan today is an embarrassment are, objectively speaking, full of shit.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 19:21 GMT 

Train-I-Ride wrote:
harmonica albert wrote:
I feel sorry for his band.

Check the end of the Berlin show. They look pretty sorry for themselves, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khFSKA5mVzo

I tell you what, that video made me want to drive 875 miles to see this band.

For one thing, this is a song OldBob has performed thousands of times, and, despite comments to the contrary, I see him relishing in delivering the words in a way that is meaningful. Maybe it's the piano, maybe it's the new-ish arrangement, but something's got him jazzed about a tune none of us has been very jazzed about for many years. Pretty neat trick for the old guy.

Not mod, not grand, just Old; but certainly not in the way.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 19:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

jimb727 wrote:
Are you even READING my posts?? I said he sounds good in the studio hence the accolades you took all the trouble to list above(though you say you don't want to get into another debate on this). Funny, I don't see any comments on his live performing in all that.

Hmmmmmm...........

You said
jimb727 wrote:
what streak of #1 albums?? In fact I'm not aware of Dylan EVER having a #1 album.

I posted that his last 4 have been top ten with the last three being number ones (if you count the Christmas chart). Anyway, no, I don't want to discuss it, I'll leave that to people who haven't discussed it a thousand times. And Bennyboy. I had addressed my personal feelings about the live shows earlier, and I'll stand by that:

smoke wrote:
I'll make up my own mind, and there are plenty of concert performances I don't care for-that's been the case for most of his career, and most definitely since about 1984.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:13 GMT 

smoke wrote:
US Billboard Holiday Albums Chart 1

WTF is the "US Billboard Holiday Albums Chart" and what pray tell was #2?

PS I instigated and copyrighted the term "PostModBob" back on the HopFarm thread that turned nasty but I think it got pulled in all the mayhem, I hereby re-introduce it.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
I'll make up my own mind, and there are plenty of concert performances I don't care for-that's been the case for most of his career, and most definitely since about 1984.

Everybody's posting all this stuff about STUDIO work and I've said alot of that has been good to great in the recent past. 'Specially L&T and TOOM. Al, and then I chimed in way back, were talking about live performances but everybody gets all offended. As usual.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Zimbiosis wrote:
smoke wrote:
US Billboard Holiday Albums Chart 1

WTF is the "US Billboard Holiday Albums Chart" and what pray tell was #2?

PS I instigated and copyrighted the term "PostModBob" back on the HopFarm thread that turned nasty but I think it got pulled in all the mayhem, I hereby re-introduce it.

:lol: :lol:

i was there as a witness :!: let me know if you need to notarize anything...

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

That Berlin clip is further reason to pity Dylan's band: a nothing arrangement of arguably his most famous song, just aimless riffing and noodling between Dylan's one-note barking of the verses. Stu plays a rudimentary lick in place of a true guitar solo, Charlie strums like he just wishes the song was over already, and Dylan struggles to find the beat as he starts singing, and the band wobbles a bit as his vocal and piano come in. He splashes a little piano on the coda without sustaining an idea for more than two bars. A few rhythmic accents in the coda almost sink the song.

The piano doesn't matter at all. All that matters is Dylan's non-existent singing ability and indifference to rhythm, melody, and pitch, and the band's dutiful obligation to obscure the unclothed emperor at all times with unchallenging and bland accompaniments.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:19 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:
:lol: :lol:

i was there as a witness :!: let me know if you need to notarize anything...

Thanks Troub, I may have to call upon you if litigation kicks in here.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:21 GMT 

harmonica albert wrote:
...The piano doesn't matter at all. All that matters is Dylan's non-existent singing ability and indifference to rhythm, melody, and pitch, and the band's dutiful obligation to obscure the unclothed emperor at all times with unchallenging and bland accompaniments.

Ouch! I predict a riot.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

sorry for the band? its not like they are languishing among themselves in a open mic somewhere in the mohave desert, congratulating themselves to a crowd of 6. they are playing behind a music institution, rocking stadiums, living large and getting paid, and traveling the world. i dont think they are about to give it up, to play music school type of sounds like spyro gyra.
and yes MT and TTL with a bullet, baby, that how i like to see them no 1. next one no 1.

Last edited by goombay on Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:37 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

jimb727 wrote:
what streak of #1 albums?? In fact I'm not aware of Dylan EVER having a #1 album.

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of those #1's Congrats to Bob!!

But then, I don't pay attention to the charts.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

goombay wrote:
sorry for the band? its not like they are languishing among themselves in a open mic somewhere in the mohave desert, congratulating themselves to a crowd of 6. they are playing behind a music institution, rocking stadiums, living large and getting paid, and traveling the world. i dont think they are about to give it up, to play music school type of sounds like spyro gyra.
and yes MT and TTL with a bullet, baby, that how i like to see them no 1. next one no 1.

THAT'S tellin' 'im boy!!

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

jimb727 wrote:
goombay wrote:

THAT'S tellin' 'im boy!!

bob dont mean to hurt nobody by having so many no 1 records. peeps just flock to talent.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

Word.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:45 GMT 

jimb727 wrote:
But then, I don't pay attention to the charts.

What?! Not even the Billboard Holiday Charts?? Shame on you!

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

jimb727 wrote:
Word.

thats it im lining up the no 1s now.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:46 GMT 

harmonica albert wrote:
That Berlin clip is further reason to pity Dylan's band: a nothing arrangement of arguably his most famous song, just aimless riffing and noodling between Dylan's one-note barking of the verses. Stu plays a rudimentary lick in place of a true guitar solo, Charlie strums like he just wishes the song was over already, and Dylan struggles to find the beat as he starts singing, and the band wobbles a bit as his vocal and piano come in. He splashes a little piano on the coda without sustaining an idea for more than two bars. A few rhythmic accents in the coda almost sink the song.

The piano doesn't matter at all. All that matters is Dylan's non-existent singing ability and indifference to rhythm, melody, and pitch, and the band's dutiful obligation to obscure the unclothed emperor at all times with unchallenging and bland accompaniments.

Yep, there's no credible riposte to this. Everyone's entitled to enjoy these travesties, and to kid themselves that they're great, but please don't try and kid the rest of us. It won't work. And given that a Bob Dylan concert is now about as rare as a sunrise, he really should consider allowing his devotees to part with less of their hard-earned, given the ruin that he offers up each night, in return, as a voice.

Last edited by Train-I-Ride on Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:50 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:47 GMT 

goombay wrote:
bob dont mean to hurt nobody by having so many no 1 records. peeps just flock to talent.

I hate to tell you this but on the basis of that logic Babs Streisand is bossing our man Bob. By a wide margin.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 20:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

Train-I-Ride wrote:
harmonica albert wrote:

Yep, there's no credible riposte to this. Everyone's entitled to enjoy these travesties, and to kid themselves that they're great, but please don't try and kid the rest of us. It won't work. And given that a Bob Dylan concert is now about as rare as a sunrise, he really should consider allowing his devotees to part with less of their hard-earned, given the ruin that he offers up each night as a voice.

It's beyond music now. I call it Bruisic.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 21:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Tragos114 wrote:
Why is it that everybody who dislikes Dylan's recent work says they're being objective . It's very naive to think that everybody who has a different opinion is ....ahhh never mind i'm tired of this never ending arguing .

Because they are. Being objective means being able to look at a given topic, in this case about Dylan, and not be blinded by the "legend" and objectively give an opinion.

And not get all spastic if it doesn't agree with yours.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 21:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

right, and it's completely objective to presume the entology of how a person would find what he currently puts on stage appeasing...or that to think it's good requires some donning of beer goggles. blah,

'Oh if there's an original thought out there, I could use it right now.'

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 21:17 GMT 

Train-I-Ride wrote:
Yep, there's no credible riposte to this. Everyone's entitled to enjoy these travesties, and to kid themselves that they're great, but please don't try and kid the rest of us. It won't work. And given that a Bob Dylan concert is now about as rare as a sunrise, he really should consider allowing his devotees to part with less of their hard-earned, given the ruin that he offers up each night, in return, as a voice.

jesus christ. who's trying to convince you to like his current music?
you and Bennyboy are the ones who won't leave Johanna Parker, or anyone who agrees with her, alone for not liking pre-1975 Dylan.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 21:26 GMT 

Giada wrote:
Train-I-Ride wrote:

jesus christ. who's trying to convince you to like his current music?
you and Bennyboy are the ones who won't leave Johanna Parker, or anyone who agrees with her, alone for not liking pre-1975 Dylan.

Calm down, dear. I'm more than capable of leaving dishes best served at a considerable distance, alone.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 21:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Zimbiosis wrote:
goombay wrote:

I hate to tell you this but on the basis of that logic Babs Streisand is bossing our man Bob. By a wide margin.

shes on the home shopping network i believe,on their label. bob has outlasted them all. i never did like her stuff. tho stoney end was ok , barely.

PostPosted: Thu July 5th, 2012, 21:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

Just read this whole thread.

Well folks, there ya have it...GrandBob!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next