Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 20th, 2014, 11:32 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 16:49 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 31248
Location: insanity is smashing up against my soul
You read Confessions Of A Yakuza? Timrod? Ovid?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 17:14 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
Johanna Parker wrote:
You read Confessions Of A Yakuza? Timrod? Ovid?



if im going to accuse bob of theft i would have to see at least a legal complaint.
them old guys are outside of the copyright, its community property for folks to use without penalty or remorse. thats the reason they are outside of the copyright.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 17:20 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 31248
Location: insanity is smashing up against my soul
Confessions Of A Yakuza isn't out of copyright, it was only published in 1991. As it happens, the author was too flattered that Bob should be interested to consider sueing. Like stealing an apple from your neigbors garden - your neighbor finds out and says, "Glad you like them."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 17:37 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
Johanna Parker wrote:
Confessions Of A Yakuza isn't out of copyright, it was only published in 1991. As it happens, the author was too flattered that Bob should be interested to consider sueing. Like stealing an apple from your neigbors garden - your neighbor finds out and says, "Glad you like them."



i said the old dudes, of course the yakuza gent is flattered that bob may have been inspired by his work.
flattery is no substitue to a warrant.
theres no apples stolen. no eyewitness no arrest warrant no civil complaint.
just old fashioned rubbernecking.
bob as of today continues to be the great original.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 17:48 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 31248
Location: insanity is smashing up against my soul
If offense only existed once somebody takes somebody else to court, then we'd do nothing else all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 17:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 12th, 2011, 12:21 GMT
Posts: 1624
Meanwhile, back on topic: is it possible to write lyrics like Dylan naturally? Answer: yes, if you're a cigarette-smoking Dylan. He allegedly wrote a lot of Blonde on Blonde in the studio, under the influence of nothing stronger than cigarettes and carbonated drinks. Cigarettes are an ever-present crutch and support to writers. In today's Sunday Times magazine, Martin Amis endorses cigarettes as an integral part of the writing process, capable of raising your IQ by 1.5 points.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 18:09 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2837
Location: New Hampshire
Train-I-Ride wrote:
Meanwhile, back on topic: is it possible to write lyrics like Dylan naturally? Answer: yes, if you're a cigarette-smoking Dylan. He allegedly wrote a lot of Blonde on Blonde in the studio, under the influence of nothing stronger than cigarettes and carbonated drinks. Cigarettes are an ever-present crutch and support to writers. In today's Sunday Times magazine, Martin Amis endorses cigarettes as an integral part of the writing process, capable of raising your IQ by 1.5 points.


I think we also can't underestimate the influence of smoking pot in his writing. I've said before, and I'll say it again, with his gifts - he needs nothing. However, I think pot simply turbo-charges his vast powers. I know, from my own experiences with it, that after smoking half a joint, I'm always reaching for my pen to write down great insights I might forget.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 18:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11th, 2011, 05:31 GMT
Posts: 4988
^
oh, jeez, I'm glad Fellini ain't here to see that. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 18:13 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 18th, 2009, 21:24 GMT
Posts: 5942
Johanna Parker wrote:
If offense only existed once somebody takes somebody else to court, then we'd do nothing else all day.


someone forgot to tell the the trillions of lawyers sharkin around.
my view of the matter is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty SPECIALLY when theres no crime.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 18:20 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat February 5th, 2011, 18:49 GMT
Posts: 2843
No, it's impossible, that's why he always wrote so much more than he needed. As John Hammond pointed out, he was far more ambitious than the other pretenders. What is possible is the first idea which has to come from somewhere. The perfecting of it is something else altogether. Of course the great hunger to achieve fades after the achievement and then it probably becomes a chore. Maybe it eventually becomes easier to lift, cut, and paste than to think of something new.

If writing like Dylan came naturally somebody else would be doing it now. I'm not hearing it.

And the Dylan legend predated the motorcycle fall. By that time he was already the language everybody was using to describe what was going on, quoted almost like scripture even in the news rags.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 18:54 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11th, 2011, 05:31 GMT
Posts: 4988
henrypussycat wrote:
If writing like Dylan came naturally somebody else would be doing it now. I'm not hearing it.

Probably because nobody wants to write like mid-60s Dylan. They've got hip hop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 12th, 2011, 12:21 GMT
Posts: 1624
henrypussycat wrote:
If writing like Dylan came naturally somebody else would be doing it now. I'm not hearing it.

Right, so if writing like Dylan came unnaturally, somebody else would be doing it now, too? I'm not hearing it. Wonder why.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:03 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 31248
Location: insanity is smashing up against my soul
goombay wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
If offense only existed once somebody takes somebody else to court, then we'd do nothing else all day.


someone forgot to tell the the trillions of lawyers sharkin around.
my view of the matter is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty SPECIALLY when theres no crime.


Nobody said it was a crime, all that was said is it was a fact. You can look up the sources for yourself, most of them are easily accessible online.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:05 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 30th, 2009, 05:06 GMT
Posts: 8848
Location: you try to get away...they drag you back
chrome horse wrote:
Train-I-Ride wrote:
Meanwhile, back on topic: is it possible to write lyrics like Dylan naturally? Answer: yes, if you're a cigarette-smoking Dylan. He allegedly wrote a lot of Blonde on Blonde in the studio, under the influence of nothing stronger than cigarettes and carbonated drinks. Cigarettes are an ever-present crutch and support to writers. In today's Sunday Times magazine, Martin Amis endorses cigarettes as an integral part of the writing process, capable of raising your IQ by 1.5 points.


I think we also can't underestimate the influence of smoking pot in his writing. I've said before, and I'll say it again, with his gifts - he needs nothing. However, I think pot simply turbo-charges his vast powers. I know, from my own experiences with it, that after smoking half a joint, I'm always reaching for my pen to write down great insights I might forget.


And about 45 minutes later, probably a glass of chocolate milk and a pillow...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11th, 2011, 05:31 GMT
Posts: 4988
Train-I-Ride wrote:
henrypussycat wrote:
If writing like Dylan came naturally somebody else would be doing it now. I'm not hearing it.

Right, so if writing like Dylan came unnaturally, somebody else would be doing it now, too? I'm not hearing it. Wonder why.

hip hop
you can hear some of Dylan's lyrical innovations there, though.

anyway, why does everyone focus so much on the mid-60s songwriting?
he wrote some of his best stuff prior to and after that period. he also basically "invented" "confessional"/autobiographical songwriting, and there are people who've done that well (joni mitchell, leonard cohen etc).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:10 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 30th, 2009, 05:06 GMT
Posts: 8848
Location: you try to get away...they drag you back
Johanna Parker wrote:
goombay wrote:

someone forgot to tell the the trillions of lawyers sharkin around.
my view of the matter is that everyone is innocent until proven guilty SPECIALLY when theres no crime.


Nobody said it was a crime, all that was said is it was a fact. You can look up the sources for yourself, most of them are easily accessible online.


This crap is not about drugs and writing! You've already been asked, politely, to drop the f off


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:12 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2005, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 7345
I'm going to guess at this: Bob is naturally intelligent. He has a natural musical talent. He has a vivid imagination. Apparently he reads a lot, and this includes the Bible. He has a sense of humor, that is, he is a natural born wise-ass. I think he also has a rhyming dictionary and a typewriter. He probably has a computer nowadays. Another thing, he seems to be a real hard working individual. There's probably some other things.

If you are like that then maybe you can write like Bob too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 12th, 2011, 12:21 GMT
Posts: 1624
chrome horse wrote:
I think we also can't underestimate the influence of smoking pot in his writing. I've said before, and I'll say it again, with his gifts - he needs nothing. However, I think pot simply turbo-charges his vast powers. I know, from my own experiences with it, that after smoking half a joint, I'm always reaching for my pen to write down great insights I might forget.


As Dylan replied, with a knowing smile (to those out there, hip to him and the hipster lifestyle he espoused) to the reporter that asked h of him, at the 1965 San Francisco Press Conference, whether he had to be in a certain mood to write his songs, "Yes, a certain mood". When the same reporter follows up with "Like a nightime kind of thing?", Dylan puts him straight, with another knowing smile "I wouldn't say night has anything to do with it."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:20 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 9th, 2008, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 9109
Grumpy-the-Buick wrote:
.. and to anyone who says it ain't Original because he borrowed
- that's as lame as saying it ain't a hole because you borrowed the shovel.


Nice!


Last edited by jimb727 on Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:23 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:22 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 12th, 2011, 12:21 GMT
Posts: 1624
carnap wrote:
I'm going to guess at this: Bob is naturally intelligent. He has a natural musical talent. He has a vivid imagination. Apparently he reads a lot, and this includes the Bible. He has a sense of humor, that is, he is a natural born wise-ass. I think he also has a rhyming dictionary and a typewriter. He probably has a computer nowadays. Another thing, he seems to be a real hard working individual. There's probably some other things.

If you are like that then maybe you can write like Bob too!


And then again, probably not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:23 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11th, 2011, 05:31 GMT
Posts: 4988
Train-I-Ride wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
I think we also can't underestimate the influence of smoking pot in his writing. I've said before, and I'll say it again, with his gifts - he needs nothing. However, I think pot simply turbo-charges his vast powers. I know, from my own experiences with it, that after smoking half a joint, I'm always reaching for my pen to write down great insights I might forget.


As Dylan replied, with a knowing smile (to those out there, hip to him and the hipster lifestyle he espoused) to the reporter that asked h of him, at the 1965 San Francisco Press Conference, whether he had to be in a certain mood to write his songs, "Yes, a certain mood". When the same reporter follows up with "Like a nightime kind of thing?", Dylan puts him straight, with another knowing smile "I wouldn't say night has anything to do with it."

" I don’t even know what a drug is. I’ve never even seen a drug. I wouldn’t know, probably, what one looked like if I saw one. "
— Bob Dylan’s answer to the question “Do you take drugs?”, 1965
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat November 12th, 2011, 12:21 GMT
Posts: 1624
jimb727 wrote:
Grumpy-the-Buick wrote:
.. and to anyone who says it ain't Original because he borrowed
- that's as lame as saying it ain't a hole because you borrowed the shovel.


Ain't that a beaut? I loved his hula-hoop riff, before that, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:25 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue December 14th, 2010, 14:22 GMT
Posts: 31248
Location: insanity is smashing up against my soul
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/original
No worries, I'm outta here....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:26 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 9th, 2008, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 9109
Train-I-Ride wrote:
Grumpy-the-Buick wrote:
.. and to anyone who says it ain't Original because he borrowed
- that's as lame as saying it ain't a hole because you borrowed the shovel.


Ain't that a beaut? I loved his hula-hoop riff, before that, too.


It just recieved it's "post of the week" honors


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun June 10th, 2012, 19:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11th, 2011, 05:31 GMT
Posts: 4988
1. Preceding all others in time; first.
2.
a. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
b. Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach.
3. Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
4. Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.

You know most of his work fits that, right? Especially pre-ModBob.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maturecheddar


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group