Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 24th, 2014, 02:15 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 11:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Isis_ wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions ! I'm gonna get "Just Like The Night", has anyone here read it?

Yes. Make sure you get the updated version (just in case you want to buy it used).
As I recall, there was some issue over photo credits in the first version.

Also, no one said A Freewheelin' Time yet.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 12:02 GMT 

Yes, the title of the updated version is Like the Night Revisited.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2012, 12:14 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
OK thanks, I'll get the updated version.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2012, 11:58 GMT 

I don't think this has been mentioned. The Financial Times reviewed Ian Bell's Once Upon A Time: http://on.ft.com/SgnH58

"Coruscating intelligence"; "historical sweep"; "rhythmic, at times incantatory, prose"; "a book to sit alongside Ellmann on Wilde, Richardson on Picasso, Ackroyd on Dickens".

I thought it was interesting in light of the mixed opinions among ER readers.

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2012, 10:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Further to the Bell book, I don't think I've seen mentioned before that there's an FBI file on Dylan. Apparently, he was guilty by association (with Ochs).

PostPosted: Wed September 26th, 2012, 21:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm reading Forget about today and trying to forget about it.

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2012, 14:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

(Can we discuss other print publications here, or does that need a new thread? BABF?)

Just picked up the latest edition of Rolling Stone (Germany) - #216 / October 2012 - which runs the infamous interview. No new or different photos, just the chess table one smallish on the contents page (caption reading "Weisheiten" = words of wisdom :mrgreen: ), and the hoodie / pool table one as a double page spread ahead of the article / interview. Quite unfortunately, he's not on the cover (he just was last month), so we don't get that new photo here. But well, this jusr as a heads-up to collectors.

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2012, 19:19 GMT 

the book I want to read is Suze Rotolo's. That's next after my reading for school gets done!

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2012, 20:08 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:

It's not terrible. The book has the potential to be very endearing to people who haven't heard it all before.

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2012, 22:47 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Like the lyrics thread. I really want to make one with Bob books.
Books by Bob, books about Bob, books Bob's inspired by etc. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu September 27th, 2012, 23:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
Well, Isis_ - from the list of books that you have read it seems you appreciate the more biographical/historical/documentary aspects of writing about Dylan, so some other books you might like to consider are -

Million Dollar Bash - Sid Griffin; about the Basement Tapes.
The Songs He Didn't Write - Derek Barker; about the songs Bob has covered throughout his career.
Just Like The Night - C P Lee; about The Free Trade Hall concert 1966.
On The Road With Bob Dylan - Larry "Ratso" Sloman; about the Rolling Thunder tour.
The Rolling Thunder Logbook - Sam Shepherd; also about the Rolling Thunder tour (and in my opinion the better book, but that's a whole other can of worms).

Razor's Edge - Andrew Muir; a story of following Bob on the NET, a great and interesting read, but here we're beginning to edge over into critical analysis, so -

Like A Rolling Stone - Greil Marcus; a study of the recording of the song (with some minor factual inaccuracies) and a consideration of its wider context. Contains Marcus' best writing on Bob imo.
Revolution in the Air & Still On The Road - Clinton Heylin; full of information about the recording of the songs and lots of opinions too, views may vary.
Bob Dylan in America - Sam Wilentz; a very well written attempt to place Dylan in the historical continuum of American music.
Performing Artist, Vols 1,2&3 - Paul Williams; great.
Song and Dance Man - Michael Gray; despite the carping by some, great.
Alias Bob Dylan Revisited - Stephen Scobie; a poet's view.
Dylan's Vision of Sin - Christopher Ricks; a literary critic's view (and a much better book than you may have been led to believe).
Bob Dylan: The Never Ending Star - Lee Marshall; a sociologist's view.

.... I've just realised that I could go on for a pretty long time so I'll stop now ....

Except to say - I notice you don't say you've read Tarantula - there are any number of good reasons for reading it, one good reason though is that it's fun - of course once having read it you can form you own opinions about Bob's first book.

This list is excellent! Great choices. Only two I haven't read--Marcus' Like a Rolling Stone book (it's at the corner used book shop--I almost grabbed it yesterday, but I didn't really dig his Invisible Republic book, so I hesitated and set it back down). And Alias--I haven't even heard of that one, I'll hunt it down. The only book on this list I just couldn't get into was Visions of Sin, which I so desperately wanted to devour, because the idea of it really compels me. But I feel like an idiot reading it--I just can't follow the writing--it makes my brain hurt--perhaps Ricks is working above my capacities.

PostPosted: Fri September 28th, 2012, 13:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Here's something I saw, maybe it should have gone into Visions of Bob, but I hope the girls will see it here - your "through the year with Bob" calendar. A 7 : 5 rate of old and new photos isn't too bad, though I wish they'd used some '70s/80s ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Dylan-2013-Calendar/dp/1617011169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348840005&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Fri September 28th, 2012, 14:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Here's something I saw, maybe it should have gone into Visions of Bob, but I hope the girls will see it here - your "through the year with Bob" calendar. A 7 : 5 rate of old and new photos isn't too bad, though I wish they'd used some '70s/80s ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Dylan-2013-Calendar/dp/1617011169/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348840005&sr=8-1

nice!

PostPosted: Fri September 28th, 2012, 14:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

goodnitesteve wrote:
Troubadour64 wrote:

It's not terrible. The book has the potential to be very endearing to people who haven't heard it all before.

it is terrible. it's fraught with speculation, and it attempts to make explicit general ideas or tendencies people may pick up from simply reading about his life in the first place. That would be more inspirational. They don't need conjured life lessons as filtered through the pedestrian viewpoint of Jon Friedman. Plus it's marketed to sit near the cash register at the bookstore. right next to books like the last lecture. Bob's presence doesn't need to be there...

and the point of view changes in the writing more than it does in tangled up in blue!

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2012, 11:47 GMT 

So I now have:

"Tarantula" - Dylan
"Lyrics 1962-2001" - Dylan
"Down the Highway" - Sounes
"The Ballad of Bob Dylan" - Epstein
"Behind the Shades 20th Anniversary Ed." - Heylin
"The Songs of Bob Dylan Vol. 1" - Heylin
"The Songs of Bob Dylan Vol. 2" - Heylin
"The Rough Guide to..." - Williamson
"100 Songs & Pictures"

Gotta say I love The Rough Guide, probably the best source of information about Dylan. Very badly edited though.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2012, 13:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

TheGunfighter wrote:
Gotta say I love The Rough Guide, probably the best source of information about Dylan. Very badly edited though.

There are two versions of this, did you get the updated one? It has a photo from BOB cover shooting on the cover.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2012, 15:00 GMT 

When one is choosing a biography, what is the value of truth or, to put it another way, what is the negative value of falsehoods?

Biographers make mistakes of course, but Heylin, to his eternal shame, adapted pre-existing careful discographies so that EVERY recording for which no precise date and venue was known magically reappeared in his books with a precise date and venue.

His new information was apparently his "best guess" but this new information was never called a guess. Olof Bjorner and others since then have had no way of knowing this and have simply repeated the false facts so that at this time no one can discern what is true and what is a guess.

Maybe it doesn't matter, and I'll grant that calling a recording, for example, "Gerdes September 9 1961" is more fun and more convenient than calling it "Unknown date & venue". But for better or worse, people have been fooled.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2012, 15:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^
I don't know the guy (CH), but I never liked his style. I don't know what's wrong with him.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2012, 16:12 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Johanna Parker wrote:
TheGunfighter wrote:

There are two versions of this, did you get the updated one? It has a photo from BOB cover shooting on the cover.

Yep - I think The Rough Guide is especially good for beginners.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2012, 20:23 GMT 

Well, hello, BABF. Happy to see your purple name next to posts.

PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2012, 10:16 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
TheGunfighter wrote:

I did get that newer one, but it's still rather erroneous. John Fogerty's name was misspelled, some song titles are in Italic and others in bold, and that's just off the top of my head.

So I also went to pick up "Behind the Shades" the 20th Anniversary Edition (it was still in the post office when I made my book-list post) and read some of it. I have to agree that Heylin is probably the most knowledgeable about Dylan's life and work but there's something about his writing style, and of course arrogance, that just puts me off. Thus far I've actually enjoyed the Howard Sounes biography the most.

PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2012, 22:19 GMT 

Heylin and Gray are writers who know a lot, but reading their stuff is just to me an unpleasant experience. Like being cornered at a party by some obnoxious loudmouthed know-it-all. He might say some interesting things, but it is still a very unpleasant experience.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 12:06 GMT 
Senior Moderator

MMD wrote:
Well, hello, BABF. Happy to see your purple name next to posts.

Just saw this - Thanks, MMD. It's been a hectic couple of weeks and it doesn't look much better going forward for awhile.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 12:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^
But at least the avatar is back. :wink:

Latest addition to my reading pile, just in, is Stephen Pickering's Bob Dylan Approximately. A Midrash. A Portrait Of The Jewish Poet In Search Of God (1975).