Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 16:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat June 23rd, 2012, 19:55 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
Blue Midnight wrote:
Bob says thanks on his way .... without words .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skndI-Gue2A

:cry:

Yes... Raging_glory, i was like you :cry: ...
Jack

PostPosted: Sat June 23rd, 2012, 21:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

He can be way way lovely when he's in the right mood. He does appreciate having an audience, of this I'm 100% sure.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 05:55 GMT 

Thank you so much Bob for not thanking me that I'm there. Thank you so for being there. Thank you for all that you do.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 06:36 GMT 

Wow, hasn't JP's opinion on Bob changed in 5 years...

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 06:45 GMT 

No.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 06:50 GMT 

There's a fine line between sincere adulation for the audience packed with total bullshit and total disregard. It would be nice if there was some form of acknowledgement (especially after a really well received show) or just a wave but I've learned to live without it. What would we all expect next - Bob to stand centre stage linking arms with the rest of the band - a group hug? No, I think he's fine doing what he does now!

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 07:48 GMT 

I remember being at Hop Farm and being relieved that Bob just came on and played his music and hardly said a word, maybe just introduced the band because Ray Davies had done the complete opposite the set before and kind of had verbal diarrhoea. If your a kinks fan Im not knocking his performance just that after every song he seemed to remind us he was in the kinks and it was kind of annoying.

When Bob lines up at the final bow hes often gesturing or doing the odd nod of his head to say "thanks" even if there isnt a verbal acknowledgement.

I suppose he could say "heres another song off Triplicate, im not gonna apologise for recording what I want" or Im sorry I completely rearranged Tangled up in Blue but hey I recorded it 50 years ago, get over it", I think with some artists less is more.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 14:42 GMT 

Bob actually used to say thanks. I'm sure someone pointed that out already though.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 15:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob Dylan could have retired quite comfortably DECADES ago. It is the audience that needs to be thankful he is still touring. The band always takes a graceful bow at the end of each show - end of story.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 16:05 GMT 

I remember an interview to Leonard Cohen in which the journalist mentioned a quote from Dylan saying that he didn´t feel he owed his audience anything.
Cohen then went on to say he feels the exact opposite, that he´s very indebted to his fans. (And really, how the hell could they not be?)
This really shows in the live performances of each one of them.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 16:28 GMT 

wormington wrote:
I remember an interview to Leonard Cohen in which the journalist mentioned a quote from Dylan saying that he didn´t feel he owed his audience anything.
Cohen then went on to say he feels the exact opposite, that he´s very indebted to his fans. (And really, how the hell could they not be?)

These Leonard Cohen comparisons always make me chuckle...

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 16:39 GMT 

Does it bother you that Bob Dylan never thanks his audience?

As long as He satisfies Me / I don't give a Shit about His Audience :!:

I figure I owe Him a Silent Thank You / He owes Me nothing more than the Art He is willing to share /

The Bootleggers will furnish the rest

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

wormington wrote:

A joke I hope. I saw Cohen once and fell asleep during the show. Was probably more the high test pot than Cohen, but it was a very sedate affair in general.

And in the first half of Bob's career, his performances were off the charts - he had no peer. If he is on cruise control now, he has earned the right to be that way.

Cohen was a folk singer anyway, so the comparison is ridiculous to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 16:48 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
wormington wrote:

A joke I hope. I saw Cohen once and fell asleep during the show.

This made me laugh out loud so thanks for that, chromester!
That said, I don´t see what Cohen being (at least according to you) a folk singer, or Dylan´s glorious past has anything to do with being appreciative of once´s audience

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

wormington wrote:
That said, I don´t see what Cohen being (at least according to you) a folk singer, or Dylan´s glorious past has anything to do with being appreciative of once´s audience

I'm no Cohen expert, far from it, so what was he?

And....giving other worldly, historic, performances, "isn't" an appreciation of your audience???
I think you have it exactly backwards.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:07 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
wormington wrote:

I'm no Cohen expert, far from it, so what was he?

And....giving other worldly, historic, performances, "isn't" an appreciation of your audience???
I think you have it exactly backwards.

Well, he did start making folk music, but later his music took a turn and is always found in the pop/rock section of any music store.

So, if back in the day you delighted your crowd with a bunch of great concerts, that gives you the right to be an ungrateful bastard later on? I´m not saying Bob is one, mind you, just following your logic

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

:P
One of the virtues of old age is that you don't give a fcuk what people think of you.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

wormington wrote:
Well, he did start making folk music, but later his music took a turn and is always found in the pop/rock section of any music store.

So, if back in the day you delighted your crowd with a bunch of great concerts, that gives you the right to be an ungrateful bastard later on? I´m not saying Bob is one, mind you, just following your logic

Bob is still great live. More importantly, he lost his voice singing for YOU, and you are here trashing him. Tis you, the unappreciative one.

And you're not really calling him an ungrateful bastard, just writing it here. Sure, got it.

Is there anything more sickening than an ungrateful Bob Dylan fan? He gave us more on his first two albums, 50 years ago, than you could give us in a hundred lifetimes.

But you've got a great whine! Want some cheese to go with it?

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:24 GMT 

No.
Nobody never heard the sound of silence ? Much better than words...

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:31 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Bob is still great live. More importantly, he lost his voice singing for YOU, and you are here trashing him. Tis you, the unappreciative one.

And you're not really calling him an ungrateful bastard, just writing it here. Sure, got it.

Is there anything more sickening than an ungrateful Bob Dylan fan? He gave us more on his first two albums, 50 years ago, than you could give us in a hundred lifetimes.

But you've got a great whine! Want some cheese to go with it?

Phew, overreacting a bit, are we? Who´s trashing Bob? I merely put here a quote, his own words (at least according to some journalist), saying he doesn´t feel gratitude towards his audience.
The rest is you and me having a theoretical argument, not discussing Bob, at least from my side.

Easy does it

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 

Quote:
Is there anything more sickening than an ungrateful Bob Dylan fan?

This could be the Topic Of The Day :idea:

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 17:43 GMT 

For Mister Dylan, with love :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eitDfsO ... ata_player

Thanks for your words and your silence.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 18:52 GMT 

After the last show I saw, it bothers me that Bob Dylan doesn't pay his audience.

Thanks would not have been enough; I wanted money for wasting my time and the mental torture.

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 19:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

alias_what wrote:
Quote:
Is there anything more sickening than an ungrateful Bob Dylan fan?

This could be the Topic Of The Day :idea:

Of course, there is a fee for thread titles. But the good news? You get half price!

PostPosted: Mon October 16th, 2017, 23:05 GMT 

I lose sleep at night over this

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next