Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 2nd, 2014, 00:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 14:43 GMT 

Does it bother any of you in the slightest that Dylan never thanks his audience anymore? Or barely even acknowledge's that they are in the same building? Or does that kind of thing not matter to you at all? I only bring this up because I was at a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers show last night, and he/they seemed so appreciative of the audience, thanking us after just about every song and talking about each song a little before he played it etc, and it came off sincere, and in turn made the crowd get that much louder and into it. And it just reminded me of Dylan, and how he doesn't say a word. Just seems to me it wouldn't hurt to throw in the odd "thank you" from time to time.

The show was excellent btw. They nailed it. They even did a cover of Bo Diddly's "i'm a man". One of many highlights.

Last edited by charlesdarwin on Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:07 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
§2.3 Always use titles descriptive of content for new threads

Post subject: Re: "thank you"
PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:00 GMT 

The show is about Bob not the audience

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:02 GMT 

After hearing Mark Knopfler saying the same things, the same jokes, and the same stage moves three nights in a row during the last Fall Tour, I am really grateful that Dylan does not indulge in this sort of bu*****t.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

Bob Dylan is scared of humans.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:12 GMT 

Thank you thank you thank you
you are the best audience I ever had the pleasure to perform to, thank you.
I hope all of you are feeling well, you're feeling well, right?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Oh, thank you again, it's so good to be here in Everage Town, thank you for coming to my show tonight. Thank's again.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:18 GMT 

It would bother me more if he did engage in that stuff all the time. Less is more...

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well, I wouldn't say 'never'.
Anyways, I prefer the set-ending staredowns.
Much more classic.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:34 GMT 

Thank you friends!

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:37 GMT 

I don't think a little thank you now and then would be that big of a deal or all that hard to do. The original poster didn't ask that bob perform an insincere 5 minute monologue at every show just a thanks for coming. No, bob doesn't owe us a thing as fans but after dropping $80 a ticket to see him, I don't think a thank you for coming its a huge imposition to ask for. After a flaming lips show in Atlantic city, wee ran into Wayne Coyne...singer of the band...and not only did he take pictures with us, he thanked us over and over for continuing to support the band because he said it wouldn't be possible to do what he does without us. And even if it was all BS, it made me feel great.

After each show Willie Nelson signs and takes pictures with every single person waiting. They even have a system where everyone gets in line and gets time with him. Not saying bob should be expected to do this but for people who act like saying thank you is such a big thing to ask for or makes it insincere...I don't get it

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:47 GMT 

Tragos114 wrote:
Thank you friends!

Allways gets a huge roar from the audience.

I like that he doesn't do pointless banter. It's what separates him from some goofy rock star, but makes him more of an artist (in my opinion). Helps the audience take his music a little more seriously and fully listen in a new experience.

Plus it wont go well with dylan new persona wish goes well with the mood and tone of his shows these days.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 15:49 GMT 
Mercury Member

If he took the time to piss on the front row, I'd respect him even more.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

iamhere wrote:
I like that he doesn't do pointless banter. It's what separates him from some goofy rock star

Maybe he should go back to his corny jokes when introducing the band?
"George asked the waitress if they served crabs and she said that they'll serve anybody."

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:09 GMT 

It's strange but Dylan is strange and his audience is strange and his relationship with his audience is stranger still. Strictly arms length mercenary stuff.

Petty's audience needs to be thanked a lot. Nobody else will ever thank them.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Tragos114 wrote:
Thank you friends!

this

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

rwasser wrote:

Oh, thank you again, it's so good to be here in Everage Town, thank you for coming to my show tonight. Thank's again.

its the new thing now that nobody buys music, you have to make the audience feel they are buddies with you. ralph stanley will sell the banjo hes playing right there and then go onstage hand him the money and you take the banjo with you.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:33 GMT 

rwasser wrote:

nah, thanks for coming and listening, I sure need the money. Thanks for replacing the audience I didn't want. Thanks to those of you who returned after seeing one of my less successful shows; you know who you are. Thanks to those who follow me around without stalking me. Have a safe trip home (my favorite from one or more of the 1991 shows).

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:40 GMT 

Does it bother me that a 71-year old man who plays 100+ shows a year does not say thank you to his audiences? No, no it does not. And while yes, you might have paid $$$ for a ticket, you did so willingly with the knowledge that Dylan ain't talkin'.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Tragos114 wrote:
Thank you friends!

Bob thanks the audience almost every night after the opening number and frequently as he introduces His Band with a simple, Thank you friends! That's good enough for me.

To stand at the front of the stage and blather on about how much the fans whom he has never met and has absolutely no personal relationship with whatsoever mean to him (as many performers do) is simply crap.

I go to hear what he's doing with his music at this moment in time. Not for some nostalgic trip down memory lane trying to recapture some bygone incident or experience that never existed except in my imagination. And I certainly don't hope he'll play it exactly like he did on the studio release.

At the same time, I'd appreciate it if the audience would stop the effing shout outs, talking during the concert and applause until the song/concert is completely over. I go to hear the music and its aggravating as hades to miss the song because some yahoo is shouting "Woo! Hoo!" when Bob and His Band kick into All Along the Watchtower for the 127,364th time. I love the song too and I paid money to hear the song so please be respectful so people can hear the music and get their money's worth!!! :evil:

Last edited by Untrodden Path on Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:43 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:42 GMT 

goombay wrote:
rwasser wrote:

its the new thing now that nobody buys music, you have to make the audience feel they are buddies with you. ralph stanley will sell the banjo hes playing right there and then go onstage hand him the money and you take the banjo with you.

Hat's an idea? Bob could take his hat off, sign it, sell it and you could get up there on stage and bring the hat with you.

He could also take his clothes there on stage...the clothes that he don't wear no more, and sell it right there from stage. The bandmembers could come in much later then so they would get a break this way. Plus show would be a lot shorter. Bob would sing just 5 songs instead of 16 and 17. It is a brilliant idea indeed.
First he had to sign the clothes so this way it would all be DeSIGNer clothings.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:45 GMT 

Md23Rewls wrote:
Does it bother me that a 71-year old man who plays 100+ shows a year does not say thank you to his audiences? No, no it does not. And while yes, you might have paid $$$ for a ticket, you did so willingly with the knowledge that Dylan ain't talkin'.

I think they paid to hear him talk though..... :lol: it should say on the ticket: Bob's not gonna talk.So if you buy this ticket thinking Bob's gonna talk, think twice before you buy it, cuz he ain't gonna. :D
I always buy my tickets to Bob's concerts thinking he's gonna talk, and I get soooo surprized each time he starts to play music instead? I never get it. What's all that music about? Couldn't he just sit down, relax a bit and chit chat? We have so much on our minds to tell him don't we?

Last edited by Ontherun on Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:54 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:51 GMT 

goombay wrote:
rwasser wrote:

People buy the experience. Hey I went to see a show starring this guy in a Zorro hat purporting to be Bob Dylan. I didn't recognize any song I'd heard before but he shouted "Things have changed" so maybe it really was him.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:52 GMT 

How could you be SURE it was him? :roll:

Last edited by Ontherun on Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:56 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:54 GMT 

Ontherun wrote:
How could you be sure it was him? :roll:

well, it's what I paid for; could they really put some hoarse understudy out there? That's not fair.

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 16:58 GMT 

Well if he didn't sell his guitar on stage, and he didn't keep talking then it must have been him?

PostPosted: Sun June 3rd, 2012, 17:00 GMT 

Doesn't bother me at all !!!!!!! The audience should thank him for still performing live, imo, and that's it !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next