A little humility and trust
Oh, darlin’, can we keep it between us?

I know we’re not perfect
Then again, neither are they
They act like we got to live for them
As if there just ain’t no other way
And it’s makin’ me kind of tired

Can we just lay back for a moment
Before we wake up and find ourselves in a daze that’s got us out of our minds?
There must be something we’re overlooking here
We better drop down now and get back behind the lines
There’s some things not fit for human ears
Some things don’t need to be discussed

They’ll tell you one thing and me another
’Til we don’t know who to trust

Let’s keep it between us
Before it all snaps and goes too far
If we can’t deal with this by ourselves
Tell me we ain’t worse off than they think we are
Backseat drivers don’t know the feel of the wheel
But they sure know how to make a fuss

Can we keep it between us?

A unbelievably bitchin song written in 1980 and left off of the Shot Of Love album, it's a song about the love between two people which all of their peers disapprove of. The song is a private conversation between these two as they try and navigate this minefield of dishonesty and judgement while allowing for their love to grow.
It's one of the better songs from that whole period & one of Bob's most vengeful songs in his time of many vengeful songs. Many many amazing lyrics and a sure sign that Dylan could still spew venom and love all at the same time in a song....

Regardless of the album, he performed this at almost every show in 1980. And IMO, his strongest performance has to be from the forever famous Warfield Run and in particular:

November 12 1980
San Francisco CA
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rtyd1g

What do we all think of this hidden gem folks???

PostPosted: Thu May 24th, 2012, 22:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

Great tune. I have a bootleg with this title on vinyl(somewhere) from when Garcia joined him.

PostPosted: Fri May 25th, 2012, 02:06 GMT 

the song I really regret went missing on Shot of Love; I guess In the Summertime was the thematic replacement and it's not bad but not nearly so descriptive!

PostPosted: Fri May 25th, 2012, 09:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

It will show up on the official Bootleg Series Christian outtakes set.

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 03:23 GMT 

I thought I'd re-activate this tiny thread for such a great song...

and sadly, five years after the last post, they finally issued 'trouble in mind', a box set of 8 discs plus a dvd of the gospel years, and 'Let's keep it between us" is nowhere on it!

This is a real lost opportunity-- clearly, they must have several live performances at least, in soundboard quality, as soundboard recordings of other songs from some of those same concerts (basically, late 1980) were released on 'trouble in mind' ..

And yes, its not a song primarily about spiritual matters, per se... but there are at least some other songs on 'trouble in mind' that are not primarily "spiritual" either, so its not like it would have been totally out of place, and musically, it shows off that late '80 band so well, with those organ and guitar riffs, etc. A wonderful vocal performance on the live versions too! And there's nothing quite like it -it's not 'just another 12-bar blues' and its so much more of an essential track, for me, then some of the stuff on there- plus, looking at the length of the discs for the deluxe edition, there is definitely room for it! They would not have had to take anything off!

So i know of at least a few audience recordings (the best of the few i've heard, at least in recording quality, might be the night in November that Jerry Garcia showed up, perhaps?) and there's one studio outtake circulating. Sadly, on the studio outtake, which sounds like a rehearsal, there's little of the vocal passion that is so evident on the live versions. So we're left with what we have.. and once more, this goes on the list of 'things they should have released but didn't'.

(Others on that list, at least for me, include the full band version from the infidels sessions of "blind willie mctell" and that funky/bluesy band version of 'tomorrow is a long time' which sounds like its crossed with 'smokestack lightnin'...)

Are there any 'definitive' live versions, taking into account sound quality and performance, circulating, that people really dig, btw?

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 03:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

I like the one from the show where Bloomfield joined him.

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 10:35 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Great tune. I have a bootleg with this title on vinyl(somewhere) from when Garcia joined him.

That's a really great version - though I can't really figure out Garcia's great contribution on it.

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 10:37 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I like the one from the show where Bloomfield joined him.

Does he? I thought Bloomfield only played on "Groom's Still Waiting at the alter" and "LARS"? If you're talking about the Fox Warfield '80...

Quote:
The most notable mention of this show is that Mike Bloomfield played guitar on two songs.

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 14:30 GMT 

I think what's meant is that the performance of "Let's Keep It Between Us" is really great at the Bloomfield show, not that Bloomfield played on this specific song. You're right that he only played on two that night.

In any case, I think it's a shame that a live rendition of this song wasn't included on BS13, as it's consistently one of Dylan's best vocal performances at the Fall 1980 shows. I figure it probably got skipped due to not having any real connection to the gospel songs he was otherwise writing at the time, but it's mildly disappointing all the same. Love the box set of course, but there are always little things you can criticize around the edges.

PostPosted: Sun November 5th, 2017, 15:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

belleseb32 wrote:
I think what's meant is that the performance of "Let's Keep It Between Us" is really great at the Bloomfield show, not that Bloomfield played on this specific song. You're right that he only played on two that night.

That's correct...I just couldn't remember the date offhand so identified the show in a lazy way.

I used to play the bootleg for people all the time and nearly everyone, Dylan fan or not, seemed to like that song. It's one of the best unreleased things from that period, and I was also shocked it wasn't included on the new box set. I can only assume they're saving it for a future set focused more on songwriting.