Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 18th, 2014, 23:46 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 06:59 GMT 

Hey I was reading Chronicles again last night and have a question.

In the Chapter Oh Mercy, Bob is talking about his arm injury and how it was going to affect the upcoming tour, which seems it will be the start of the NET. So I am thinking this injury occurred maybe 1988? Would that be about right?

Anyway Bob says that he had to take his daughter to a school play. My question is, What daughter of Bob's would be of the right age to appear in a school play in 1988? Assuming Desiree was born in 1986, would a 2 year old go to a school play?? Doubt it. At 2 you would expect not even to be in kindergarten.

The only other daughters were born in the 60's. Would they go to a school play at age 20+?

Anyway I am just wondering if Bob was giving us a hint that he has other kids born in the 80's?

Pope

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 07:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Might have been an university event or sth that he loosely referred to as 'school'?

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 09:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Might have been an university event or sth that he loosely referred to as 'school'?

Or maybe he used a line from someone else's book.

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 10:12 GMT 

Or maybe he was just making it all up :P Who knows?

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 10:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Pre-school play perhaps... With a woman in every town he's ever visited he may have children everywhere...

Which may account for the constant touring... it gives him a chance to see his peeps.

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 11:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
Pre-school play perhaps... With a woman in every town he's ever visited he may have children everywhere...

Which may account for the constant touring... it gives him a chance to see his peeps.

The idea :shock: .... Bob has more children?????? Well, why else would he have gotten married the other 14 times???? :wink:
UP, I knew this idea of women (and children) in ever town was going to show up.... just surprised it was from you :lol:
Actually, I go with the storyteller might just be making stuff up myself.....and that is just fine we me, that book is still a great read... 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 13:16 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Does anyone know what the school play was?

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 14:30 GMT 
Mercury Member

thickboy wrote:

Much Ado about Nothing

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 14:32 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Lily Rose wrote:
thickboy wrote:

Much Ado about Nothing

Ah-ha, you can't beat a bit of Chaucer!

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 14:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 17:35 GMT 

popeoferuke wrote:
Hey I was reading Chronicles again last night and have a question.

In the Chapter Oh Mercy, Bob is talking about his arm injury and how it was going to affect the upcoming tour, which seems it will be the start of the NET. So I am thinking this injury occurred maybe 1988? Would that be about right?

Anyway Bob says that he had to take his daughter to a school play. My question is, What daughter of Bob's would be of the right age to appear in a school play in 1988? Assuming Desiree was born in 1986, would a 2 year old go to a school play?? Doubt it. At 2 you would expect not even to be in kindergarten.

The only other daughters were born in the 60's. Would they go to a school play at age 20+?

Anyway I am just wondering if Bob was giving us a hint that he has other kids born in the 80's?

Pope

Perhaps it was Tom Petty's daughter as one theory has it that it was probably Tom Petty's hand. :? The internal evidence in Chronicles suggests that Dylan implies an injury that possibly occurred in `87 or `88. However, this article:

http://www.freewheelin-on-line.info/tak ... ytimes.htm

... addresses the writer's opinion that it's unlikely it could have been either of those years. However, I'll offer another theory.

On first reading Chronicles, I thought the injury - if injury there was - might have taken place in 1986. According to Wikipedia, the "True Confessions" tour ended on August 1986 and the "Temple in Flames" tour began in September 1987. When Dylan says "...It was 1987... It was now only January but my hand was going to need plenty of time to heal and be rehabilitated," he's referring to an injury that took place sometime between August, 1986 and January 1987, with Mr. D. back in harness by September 1987. In typical Chronicles fashion, Dylan conflates the years of two Petty tours, the Dead gigs and the beginning of the NET into one reminisce, confusing the year he's actually talking about, either deliberately or accidentally.

I have no idea what Dylan was doing between August 1986 and September 1987. :lol: I'll let someone who follows his activities more closely than I to point out why it's unlikely he was nursing a serious hand injury during that year-long period.

And finally, taking a page from my pal Scott Warmuth, I'll note that Dylan's passage on the hand injury...

"Then it hit me….. Returning from the emergency room with my arm entombed in plaster I fell into a chair – something heavy had come against me. It was like a black leopard had torn at my tattered flesh. It was plenty sore…. I was on the threshold of nothing, ruined. This could be the last turn of the screw. The trail had come to a halt." (Chronicles page 156)

... is ah, strangely reminiscent of a passage from a pulp novel...

"... A black leopard, having its fore-paws upon the dead man's breast, turned ... dead--whilst the creature's gleaming fangs were buried in the tattered flesh..."

And that pulp novel? Why, it's by Sax Rohmer. And it's title?

"The Hand of Fu-Manchu"

I'll let you, o gentle reader, draw your own conclusions. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 17:42 GMT 

Freddy Koella's first show with Bob:
10. Easy Lovin' (song by Freddie Hart)

PostPosted: Wed May 16th, 2012, 18:04 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Or maybe he used a line from someone else's book.

:lol:
He replaced "minstrel show" from some arcane book and substituted "school play".

PostPosted: Thu May 17th, 2012, 00:20 GMT 

Chronicles is just one helluva book isn't it!
:-)

Pope

PostPosted: Thu May 17th, 2012, 01:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

popeoferuke wrote:
Chronicles is just one helluva book isn't it!
:-)

Pope

yes sir.