Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 2nd, 2014, 11:41 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:32 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue September 11th, 2007, 10:00 GMT
Posts: 6277
Location: 3650 miles east of Duquesne.
Mr. Benjamin Boy, recently discovered the music of a little-known folk singer-songwriter named Bob Dylan from Duluth, Minnesota.

Benny explained that although his musical focus tends toward the classical, he himself enjoys exploring a wide variety of musical genres ranging from old-time swing jazz to reggae. One of his favorite hobbies is finding talented musicians who never realized their full potential and remained largely unknown, and bringing them to the public light. Bob Dylan was one such singer.

Bob was a born-again Christian who spent time in New York City and Boston. According to Benny, Bob performed mostly covers of songs by prominent musicians like Little Richard and Kris Kristofferson. The closest Bob came to commercial success, he says, was with his cover of the hit single "Mr. Bojangles."

But surprisingly, "Mr. Bojangles" is not Benny's best-loved Dylan cover; that honor is reserved for Bob's rendition of Peter, Paul and Mary's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."

"It's riveting," says Benny. And somehow when Benny says it, you believe it.

Although covers were the bread and butter of Bob Dylan's attempted musical career, Benny learned through his research that the singer also wrote and performed several original pieces. A particular favorite of Benny's is "The Times They Are a-Changin'", a patriotic number expressing the singer's family values and commitment to the then-existing political structure.

Benny admits that Bob Dylan's work may be too stodgy and traditional for the average, liberally-minded music student. But he hopes that people will see beyond singer's outdated ideology, which, as Benny points out, merely reflects the social values in place when Bob Dylan was still alive.

"If they can just look beyond the simplistic lyrics to the music, I think they'll find it's worth a listen, especially as his latter-day singing voice had become so mellifluous." he says.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:37 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 28th, 2009, 09:47 GMT
Posts: 10102
Location: A high place of darkness and light
Ok Stephen, if you say so....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:44 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4086
That was pretty funny Benny and Stephen DIDN'T mention the fact that Bob continues to .......... and it is now known as the .... with band members Tony Garnier and ............ I am sorry; I had to put Tony's name somewhere for you! I think you were the one who said that TG was picking the music or something like that and it might as well be his band (were you that person and if you weren't, I apologize). I am beginning to think you are right. Just get rid of all the songs you play every night and start anew. Keep Rolling Stone, Watchtower, and Leopard Skin and dump the rest. I am tired of seeing them endlessly on every tour!!! :shock: I may get banned for this! :lol: Love, Joanna XOXOx I guess Tangled Up In Blue is okay, but do it the right way! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:48 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 9897
Location: Wherever I am welcome
Bennyboy, is your avatar a screen capture from Hard Rain? I would love to see the full sized picture, but just keep posting so I can look at it often :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:51 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4086
I think it was after and he was in Japan or Bangladesh or something; could be wrong though. I hope it was Budokan which apparently nobody likes BUT me!! 8) Love, Joanna XOXOX


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:13 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 28th, 2009, 09:47 GMT
Posts: 10102
Location: A high place of darkness and light
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:17 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 9897
Location: Wherever I am welcome
^^^THANK YOU!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4086
It definitely was! I must still be asleep! :( I love the cover of that CD; the eyeliner is divine!!! :) Love, Joanna XOXOX


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:27 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 9897
Location: Wherever I am welcome
J0hanna4Ever wrote:
It definitely was! I must still be asleep! :( I love the cover of that CD; the eyeliner is divine!!! :) Love, Joanna XOXOX


The Hard Rain album cover is........yes, divine about covers it! 8) :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:34 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 2688
Location: New Hampshire
I'm not sure what to say here. Severe critic Benny is certainly a prime target for humor, and I know he would take it in good spirits, but this is pretty lame. I don't get it at all. Could be my problem, for sure. I guess I would say this attempt at humor doesn't even begin to approach the high level Benny operates at on daily basis. If one is trying to 0ut-Benny at humor, one has to try a little harder than this - you're going up against one of the best.

Benny wins - no contest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 5th, 2011, 06:05 GMT
Posts: 2619
Location: One Too Many Mornings and 1000 Miles Behind
raging_glory wrote:
J0hanna4Ever wrote:
It definitely was! I must still be asleep! :( I love the cover of that CD; the eyeliner is divine!!! :) Love, Joanna XOXOX


The Hard Rain album cover is........yes, divine about covers it! 8) :D


It's my favorite Dylan album cover, Bob at his most beautiful.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 21:11 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 15431
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Image

Nice Tele!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 21:39 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun February 13th, 2011, 15:42 GMT
Posts: 153
Location: NB, Canada
Untrodden Path wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Image

Nice Tele!


Indeed... I bought the same color/ style tele, because of the Hard Rain footage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 22:40 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 17th, 2011, 01:08 GMT
Posts: 680
chrome horse wrote:
Benny wins - no contest.


yeah, he's a real no-brainer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 22:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 5th, 2007, 04:16 GMT
Posts: 1119
Location: Davos Platz, The Magic Mountain
stephenoxford wrote:
Mr. Benjamin Boy, recently discovered the music of a little-known folk singer-songwriter named Bob Dylan from Duluth, Minnesota.

Benny explained that although his musical focus tends toward the classical, he himself enjoys exploring a wide variety of musical genres ranging from old-time swing jazz to reggae. One of his favorite hobbies is finding talented musicians who never realized their full potential and remained largely unknown, and bringing them to the public light. Bob Dylan was one such singer.

Bob was a born-again Christian who spent time in New York City and Boston. According to Benny, Bob performed mostly covers of songs by prominent musicians like Little Richard and Kris Kristofferson. The closest Bob came to commercial success, he says, was with his cover of the hit single "Mr. Bojangles."

But surprisingly, "Mr. Bojangles" is not Benny's best-loved Dylan cover; that honor is reserved for Bob's rendition of Peter, Paul and Mary's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."

"It's riveting," says Benny. And somehow when Benny says it, you believe it.

Although covers were the bread and butter of Bob Dylan's attempted musical career, Benny learned through his research that the singer also wrote and performed several original pieces. A particular favorite of Benny's is "The Times They Are a-Changin'", a patriotic number expressing the singer's family values and commitment to the then-existing political structure.

Benny admits that Bob Dylan's work may be too stodgy and traditional for the average, liberally-minded music student. But he hopes that people will see beyond singer's outdated ideology, which, as Benny points out, merely reflects the social values in place when Bob Dylan was still alive.

"If they can just look beyond the simplistic lyrics to the music, I think they'll find it's worth a listen, especially as his latter-day singing voice had become so mellifluous." he says.

In addition to the above, Benny Boy was once overheard to state that Bob Dylan is the real author of the song Hallelujah and also Handel's Hallelujah Chorus!!

:lol:

:evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 23:01 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu October 26th, 2006, 02:28 GMT
Posts: 23492
Location: I'm in Bostontown in some restaurant.
Untrodden Path wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Image

Nice Tele!


What tele???? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 5th, 2012, 00:45 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed September 14th, 2011, 13:25 GMT
Posts: 9897
Location: Wherever I am welcome
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

What tele???? :roll:


This^^

rolling_thunder wrote:
J0hanna4Ever wrote:
It definitely was! I must still be asleep! :( I love the cover of that CD; the eyeliner is divine!!! :) Love, Joanna XOXOX

It's my favorite Dylan album cover, Bob at his most beautiful.


Image

Swoon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 5th, 2012, 00:48 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue March 27th, 2007, 20:24 GMT
Posts: 7814
I like the SFTS guitar better...


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 04:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4086
I just like all the pictures and while Oxford might not be as humorous as Benny ALWAYS is; it was still pretty funny. Oxford, maybe you should write an article entitled "Bennyboy Discovers The NET"! 8) Love, Joanna XOXOXO


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 08:47 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 GMT
Posts: 9805
Location: Sydney
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 13:31 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 10430
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Image
Nice Tele!


What tele???? :roll:

Yeah, what tele????? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 15:01 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 10th, 2009, 11:18 GMT
Posts: 1811
Location: Montségur
Bennyboy wrote:
Image


I always admired his fashion style on "Hard Rain" that white cotton underpants on his head were revolutionary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 16:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11th, 2011, 05:31 GMT
Posts: 4979
lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 17:13 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 10430
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
devy wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
Image


I always admired his fashion style on "Hard Rain" that white cotton underpants on his head were revolutionary.

No, no, can't be underpants.... if he was going to wear a pair of underpants on his head that day they would have been pink and lacy
...... and of course not his....... and not his wife's either.... :shock: :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 19:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri February 11th, 2011, 00:21 GMT
Posts: 4086
Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Image


Thanks for the fashion tip! I always wanted to put something like this on my head but I wasn't sure where to start; I will just raid my Dad's underwear drawer! :D Love, Joanna XOXOX


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group