Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 2nd, 2014, 11:41 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mr. Benjamin Boy, recently discovered the music of a little-known folk singer-songwriter named Bob Dylan from Duluth, Minnesota.

Benny explained that although his musical focus tends toward the classical, he himself enjoys exploring a wide variety of musical genres ranging from old-time swing jazz to reggae. One of his favorite hobbies is finding talented musicians who never realized their full potential and remained largely unknown, and bringing them to the public light. Bob Dylan was one such singer.

Bob was a born-again Christian who spent time in New York City and Boston. According to Benny, Bob performed mostly covers of songs by prominent musicians like Little Richard and Kris Kristofferson. The closest Bob came to commercial success, he says, was with his cover of the hit single "Mr. Bojangles."

But surprisingly, "Mr. Bojangles" is not Benny's best-loved Dylan cover; that honor is reserved for Bob's rendition of Peter, Paul and Mary's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."

"It's riveting," says Benny. And somehow when Benny says it, you believe it.

Although covers were the bread and butter of Bob Dylan's attempted musical career, Benny learned through his research that the singer also wrote and performed several original pieces. A particular favorite of Benny's is "The Times They Are a-Changin'", a patriotic number expressing the singer's family values and commitment to the then-existing political structure.

Benny admits that Bob Dylan's work may be too stodgy and traditional for the average, liberally-minded music student. But he hopes that people will see beyond singer's outdated ideology, which, as Benny points out, merely reflects the social values in place when Bob Dylan was still alive.

"If they can just look beyond the simplistic lyrics to the music, I think they'll find it's worth a listen, especially as his latter-day singing voice had become so mellifluous." he says.

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

Ok Stephen, if you say so....

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:44 GMT 

That was pretty funny Benny and Stephen DIDN'T mention the fact that Bob continues to .......... and it is now known as the .... with band members Tony Garnier and ............ I am sorry; I had to put Tony's name somewhere for you! I think you were the one who said that TG was picking the music or something like that and it might as well be his band (were you that person and if you weren't, I apologize). I am beginning to think you are right. Just get rid of all the songs you play every night and start anew. Keep Rolling Stone, Watchtower, and Leopard Skin and dump the rest. I am tired of seeing them endlessly on every tour!!! :shock: I may get banned for this! :lol: Love, Joanna XOXOx I guess Tangled Up In Blue is okay, but do it the right way! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy, is your avatar a screen capture from Hard Rain? I would love to see the full sized picture, but just keep posting so I can look at it often :D

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 15:51 GMT 

I think it was after and he was in Japan or Bangladesh or something; could be wrong though. I hope it was Budokan which apparently nobody likes BUT me!! 8) Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

^^^THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:24 GMT 

It definitely was! I must still be asleep! :( I love the cover of that CD; the eyeliner is divine!!! :) Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

J0hanna4Ever wrote:
It definitely was! I must still be asleep! :( I love the cover of that CD; the eyeliner is divine!!! :) Love, Joanna XOXOX

The Hard Rain album cover is........yes, divine about covers it! 8) :D

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:34 GMT 

I'm not sure what to say here. Severe critic Benny is certainly a prime target for humor, and I know he would take it in good spirits, but this is pretty lame. I don't get it at all. Could be my problem, for sure. I guess I would say this attempt at humor doesn't even begin to approach the high level Benny operates at on daily basis. If one is trying to 0ut-Benny at humor, one has to try a little harder than this - you're going up against one of the best.

Benny wins - no contest.

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 16:58 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
J0hanna4Ever wrote:

The Hard Rain album cover is........yes, divine about covers it! 8) :D

It's my favorite Dylan album cover, Bob at his most beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 21:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Nice Tele!

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 21:39 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Nice Tele!

Indeed... I bought the same color/ style tele, because of the Hard Rain footage.

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 22:40 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Benny wins - no contest.

yeah, he's a real no-brainer

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 22:57 GMT 

stephenoxford wrote:
Mr. Benjamin Boy, recently discovered the music of a little-known folk singer-songwriter named Bob Dylan from Duluth, Minnesota.

Benny explained that although his musical focus tends toward the classical, he himself enjoys exploring a wide variety of musical genres ranging from old-time swing jazz to reggae. One of his favorite hobbies is finding talented musicians who never realized their full potential and remained largely unknown, and bringing them to the public light. Bob Dylan was one such singer.

Bob was a born-again Christian who spent time in New York City and Boston. According to Benny, Bob performed mostly covers of songs by prominent musicians like Little Richard and Kris Kristofferson. The closest Bob came to commercial success, he says, was with his cover of the hit single "Mr. Bojangles."

But surprisingly, "Mr. Bojangles" is not Benny's best-loved Dylan cover; that honor is reserved for Bob's rendition of Peter, Paul and Mary's "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right."

"It's riveting," says Benny. And somehow when Benny says it, you believe it.

Although covers were the bread and butter of Bob Dylan's attempted musical career, Benny learned through his research that the singer also wrote and performed several original pieces. A particular favorite of Benny's is "The Times They Are a-Changin'", a patriotic number expressing the singer's family values and commitment to the then-existing political structure.

Benny admits that Bob Dylan's work may be too stodgy and traditional for the average, liberally-minded music student. But he hopes that people will see beyond singer's outdated ideology, which, as Benny points out, merely reflects the social values in place when Bob Dylan was still alive.

"If they can just look beyond the simplistic lyrics to the music, I think they'll find it's worth a listen, especially as his latter-day singing voice had become so mellifluous." he says.

In addition to the above, Benny Boy was once overheard to state that Bob Dylan is the real author of the song Hallelujah and also Handel's Hallelujah Chorus!!

:lol:

:evil:

PostPosted: Fri May 4th, 2012, 23:01 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Untrodden Path wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Nice Tele!

What tele???? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 5th, 2012, 00:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

This^^

rolling_thunder wrote:
J0hanna4Ever wrote:

It's my favorite Dylan album cover, Bob at his most beautiful.

Swoon

PostPosted: Sat May 5th, 2012, 00:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I like the SFTS guitar better...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 04:12 GMT 

I just like all the pictures and while Oxford might not be as humorous as Benny ALWAYS is; it was still pretty funny. Oxford, maybe you should write an article entitled "Bennyboy Discovers The NET"! 8) Love, Joanna XOXOXO

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 08:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 13:31 GMT 
Mercury Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Nice Tele!

Yeah, what tele????? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 15:01 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

I always admired his fashion style on "Hard Rain" that white cotton underpants on his head were revolutionary.

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 16:08 GMT 

lol

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 17:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

devy wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:

I always admired his fashion style on "Hard Rain" that white cotton underpants on his head were revolutionary.

No, no, can't be underpants.... if he was going to wear a pair of underpants on his head that day they would have been pink and lacy
...... and of course not his....... and not his wife's either.... :shock: :P

PostPosted: Sun May 6th, 2012, 19:19 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
It's Hard Rain.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the fashion tip! I always wanted to put something like this on my head but I wasn't sure where to start; I will just raid my Dad's underwear drawer! :D Love, Joanna XOXOX