Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 23rd, 2014, 01:34 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 21:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Milkcow wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:
Just went looking....they were given out in February last year. I think they might try to work out schedules to get everyone there to accept their awards in person. And late May early June would seem to fit in with the NET schedule. I expect we can get to see Mr. D. visiting again with his friend the Prez.

From an article on the front page, there is some speculation that this might help in the question of getting the Nobel ..... that would be nice!!!! :D

The author of that article has a book coming out.... this is the note at the bottom of the article:

Jon Friedman is the author of “Forget About Today: Bob Dylan’s Genius for (Re)invention, Shunning the Naysayers and Creating a Personal Revolution,” which Penguin will publish in August.

Holy cow, batman, with a title like that I am going to have to give that book a dance for sure!!!! :P

Jon is a friend of mine... we became friends at an Elvis Costello concert.

i'm very much looking forward to that book. that topic was essentially the thesis of a paper i wrote last term.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 21:56 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It cannot get worse than Grammies '91.... but which song would be appropriate?

uhm, I'm pretty sure none of the honorees sing.
President Obama basically speaks for 20 minutes and then he calls up the recipients one by one and puts the medal around their necks.
Maybe he'll sing during the reception, but I'm almost positive that we won't get to see it. They only broadcast the ceremony itself.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 22:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Even better. If he doesn't have to speak, not much can go wrong.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 22:18 GMT 

Ok, I think it's safe to say Obama is a bit of a Dylan fan.

He got him to come once, but he wasn't really do much at the [url]http://www.twentyfourbit.com/2010/09/obama-talks-bob-dylan-white-house-performance/]White House[/url].

And a second invite was declined!

Maybe he wants to get coffee with him, just in case he doesn't win in November?

I kind of think Bob should turn the invite down, just to see what Obama does next to get Dylan back to the White House.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 22:26 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Man of Peace.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 22:32 GMT 

twilight wrote:
Ok, I think it's safe to say Obama is a bit of a Dylan fan.

He got him to come once, but he wasn't really do much at the [url]http://www.twentyfourbit.com/2010/09/obama-talks-bob-dylan-white-house-performance/]White House[/url].

And a second invite was declined!

Maybe he wants to get coffee with him, just in case he doesn't win in November?

I kind of think Bob should turn the invite down, just to see what Obama does next to get Dylan back to the White House.

i love that performance so much. i was tearing up the first few times i watched it.

and i don't think you posted the correct link for the second invite. would love to read/hear about that.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 22:36 GMT 

^
it was for the national medal of arts (back in '09), clint eastwood didn't show up either.

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 23:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

senor10 wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Man of Peace.

oooh dubiously clever pick!

i think it would be a perfect time to debut his cover of Mannish Boy...

or another cover from one of his best albums: Take me as i am

but some good choices would be:
bob dylan's dream
billy 1
Chimes of freedom
Dignity
Ring them bells
Hard Rain
When the ship comes in
the water is wide
too much of nothing

PostPosted: Fri April 27th, 2012, 23:52 GMT 

i just want to say congrats to Bob for his achievement..yet another award.. a token of appreciation for his years of service.. well done...well deserved.. Love ya bob~ :D

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 00:03 GMT 

Oh whoops.

Yeah, it was supposed to be about the invite Eastwood declined too.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 00:14 GMT 

Will he go?
He shouldn't go.

You're joking, right?

At these events, it's one of those very rare times when we see the real Bob Dylan. This is when he is saying, with no words, "yes, my songs do in fact mean a great deal and have tremendous influence for all the right reasons". One of the many trademarks of his greatness is not to admit to it and even mock it with other people.

It's a moment that buries the Johanna Parker mindset that says "the protest and human rights era was a marketing scam - he could care less about those issues. Besides, his ex-girlfriends said so!". These are people satisfied with the celebrity quota and historical import, and obviously lack a social conscience of their own, or at least any appreciation of what Bob Dylan has done.
It appears to be some type of generational genetic deviation. Experts are hard at work on it.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 00:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

chrome horse wrote:
Will he go?
He shouldn't go.

You're joking, right?

At these events, it's one of those very rare times when we see the real Bob Dylan. This is when he is saying, with no words, "yes, my songs do in fact mean a great deal and have tremendous influence for all the right reasons". One of the many trademarks of his greatness is not to admit to it and even mock it with other people.

It's a moment that buries the Johanna Parker mindset that says "the protest and human rights era was a marketing scam - he could care less about those issues. Besides, his ex-girlfriends said so!". These are people satisfied with the celebrity quota and historical import, and obviously lack a social conscience of their own, or at least any appreciation of what Bob Dylan has done.
It appears to be some type of generational genetic deviation. Experts are hard at work on it.

I don't have a doubt in the world he'll go. And I liked your post. Many of the other people chosen are being honored because of their extraordinary commitment to human rights and dignity. He should feel honored to be in a group with so many righteous people.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 02:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

chrome horse wrote:
Will he go?
He shouldn't go.

You're joking, right?

i like this a lot, but the real protesty bobby transcends the need for awards
he's his own award and accepting medals from the white house cheapens the whole thing

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 02:23 GMT 

uh, why would it?

I guess this means that we'll soon be seeing some in the media b*itching about Dylan selling out and accepting the award.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 04:03 GMT 

:D This is great! Congratulations, Bob!!!

Of course, he will go to the ceremony!....it's the Presidential Medal of Freedom award !!! :D :) 8)

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 11:42 GMT 

tellmemomma1966 wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
Will he go?
He shouldn't go.

You're joking, right?

i like this a lot, but the real protesty bobby transcends the need for awards
he's his own award and accepting medals from the white house cheapens the whole thing

Receiving a Medal of Freedom "cheapens the whole thing"???? Receiving it from America's first black president, who might not be president if not for the efforts of Bob Dylan and millions of others? No Mr. Momma, it is YOU who is cheapening the whole thing with your rancid comments.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 11:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

So when Bob said he couldn't be responsible for anyone but himself, he was just joking? Really now, how long did that whole protest thing last, a year? I'm all happy with people appreciating his art enough to give him high honors, but as Giada pointed out earlier in this thread, in Bob's case it is certainly more of an award for his overall artistic output than for his commitment to world peace.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 12:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Chrome horse you are spot on here - nice post - March On!

I think some other folks need to read about the 1960s in America outside of what the tabloids say...i recommend the sixties: years of hope, days of rage by Todd Gitlin

bob didn't stop writing protest songs when he went electric, he simply changed his tone and his intended audience. Rainy day woman is as much of a protest song as For what it's worth - he's just a little more cryptic about it.

but i don't think there's anything rancid about Momma's comment - by 'cheapen' he means operating within the system, which of course steps way from the terms of engagement for protest movements. it's hard to protest the system and embrace the system at the same time, but others have done it - Andy Warhol certainly operated within the system and managed to not be touched by the system in much the same way as bob. Bob is more of an Andy than he is and an Abbie (Hoffman)

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:09 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Really now, how long did that whole protest thing last, a year?

There you go. As predicted, from one of our self proclaimed, supposed, Bob Dylan fans - what do we get regarding this immense honor - ridicule.

The "protest thing" Johanna, never ended. It simply passed you by while you were busy with the trivia.

You have completely missed "the big picture" while hunting for pictures.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

When was the last march he went on again? When did he publicly support any case after 1976? Oh yes, Farm Aid.... once. I'm not out to ridicule anyone or anything, but when it comes to reducing Bob to his so-called protest period, that's too much blind hero worship for my liking. I could go look up some quotes by the man himself distancing himself from whatever movements wanted to claim him, let me know if you want to see them or I'd just be wasting my time.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:33 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
when it comes to reducing Bob to his so-called protest period

How deep a hole are you going to dig yourself into, anyway???

Yes, fighting for worldwide human rights and social justice is such a low life thing, isn't it?

The fact that you think he has to go to a protest, or be in an event, besides simple writing the songs which have inspired people around the world, shows your total and complete lack of comprehension of what Bob Dylan has done.

He sang "The Times They Are A Changin'" at the White House last year. Last year was not the 1960's.

And nobody is "reducing Bob to his so-called protest period". The truly informed fans are wowed by that era, and love everything he has done. They don't scoff at it and thumb nose like you, and call it a "marketing scam".

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
When was the last march he went on again? When did he publicly support any case after 1976? Oh yes, Farm Aid.... once. I'm not out to ridicule anyone or anything, but when it comes to reducing Bob to his so-called protest period, that's too much blind hero worship for my liking. I could go look up some quotes by the man himself distancing himself from whatever movements wanted to claim him, let me know if you want to see them or I'd just be wasting my time.

Now, now, what does anything he says have anything to do with what he is really thinking..... NDH (or maybe this was the 60 minutes interview)..... the press?.... I figure you can lie to them..... the only ones you have to be truthful with is yourself and God..... (I know this is not exactly correct, but the idea is correct).... so the last thing you go to if you want to know what Dylan is really up to is his own quotes from interviews with reporters.... :lol: Look to his music for more truth.... right after the first Iraq war starts, he does Master Of War at the Grammys.... now that is a real statement.... maybe :wink:

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

in fairness, if i were to be asked of anything about German history, beyond WWII or outside of what i learned in language class (I remember something about a pop guy named Falco and a pretty important dude named Otto Von Bismarck), i would fail miserably. i don't think calling her fanhood into question is necessary...

Johanna, there is no prescribed route to protest. and certainly bob is not one to take prescribed routes if that were the case. bob protested the protest movement, but that doesn't mean he stopped protesting. bob has done his thing as he always has. there's an album he made called Oh Mercy and a song called Dignity that qualify as social criticisms. i think he protested the eighties music scene by sucking so bad :lol: :lol:

dylan quotes? to the press? yes he has a great track record for sharing his innermost thoughts, feelings, and positions with the media and the public at large.

his actions speak louder than his words - as well as his silence. i would like to cite the election show of 2008 and the song it's all good as the most recent social statements i can think of that come to mind. his visit to France and the conversations he had with Nicolas Sarkozy indicates a strong interest in contemporary affairs. this happened not long after American politicians were renaming french fries 'freedom' fries because they didn't want to be critical about their own agenda. also, he manages to allude to his feelings about GW Bush without being explicit or offensive to an American President.

http://www.rightwingbob.com/weblog/archives/5047
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16999702/Bob- ... g-May-2009

bingo Lily - and opening his shows with 'Wait for the Light to Shine" is another powerful moment i think

http://notdarkyet.tripod.com/light.html

Last edited by Troubadour64 on Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:56 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 14:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

I don't think the whole of Chronicles is an interview, but of course parts of it are less than factual, so I guess that's gonna be counted out as well.

As for loving everything he has done, I didn't know he was completely beyond judgement yet. It's really simple for me, if I like something, it's fine, and if I don't, I won't force myself to like it no matter who created it. If chrome horse could point out Bob's supposed 'fight' for me now, maybe I could still learn something here....

And let me clearly re-state here that I'm happy for him to have gained this honor as the great artist he is.

PostPosted: Sat April 28th, 2012, 15:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

@Troub: I don't claim to be a US history buff, but I've read plenty of books putting Bob's life and works in context. I never doubted that he used and uses social critizism, of course he does. But so often when reading news articles about his latest award, or tour or records or whatever, they'll call him a '60s folk/protest singer, as if he'd stood still for the last 45 years. We all know he didn't stop there. He protested hunger recently.... I like that record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next