Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 22nd, 2014, 17:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun April 22nd, 2012, 23:26 GMT 

http://www.borntobenervous.com/2009/04/ ... dylan.html

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 09:36 GMT 

Of course! It's ragged and dirty from world gone wrong . Fantastic song , great album :)

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 12:47 GMT 

Tragos114 wrote:
Of course! It's ragged and dirty from world gone wrong . Fantastic song , great album :)

I had a feeling it was from that album. I'll have to get it. Let me ask you, did Dylan write the songs on World Gone Wrong and As Good As I've Been To You, or were they covers, or did he put his own lyrics to old melodies? I'm confused on this.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 13:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Covers... and shameless lifts from other artists interpretations: Paul Brady, Nic Jones....

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

can you expand on those shameless lift pairings? I'd like to sample and compare.

if you read the chapter on "Delia" in the Sean Wilentz book, it adds some insight to the process and the work that goes into a dylan 'cover.' that is enough for me to say, 'cover or not, it's a dylan song now.' his blind willie mctell chapter is phenomenal too.

World Gone Wrong is a critically necessary album for any full spectrum dylan collection. there are a handful of albums that do not make that list. i also think it's the best thing he put on record between 1977 and 1997. that's a good twenty year stretch. nearly half of his recording career.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nic Jones Canadee i o on Penguin Eggs
Paul Brady with Andy Irvine Arthur Mcbride

Hear and compare the latter here: http://www.andyirvine.com/albums/ai-pb.html

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Google is your friend, Ego. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

stephenoxford wrote:
Nic Jones Canadee i o on Penguin Eggs
Paul Brady with Andy Irvine Arthur Mcbride

Hear and compare the latter here: http://www.andyirvine.com/albums/ai-pb.html

those are both on Good as I been to you...do you have any examples pertaining to World gone Wrong?

i heard a version of Aurthur McBride on irish internet radio when i was visiting my dad in the hospital just before saint patrick's day. nearly brought tears to my eyes. (he's home and getting healthy now :) )

oh, i just thought of one - his Jack-A-Roe is terrible! the only low point of the album for me. would have loved to have heard this recorded with the 99-02 voice.

Last edited by Troubadour64 on Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:28 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:25 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:
can you expand on those shameless lift pairings? I'd like to sample and compare.

if you read the chapter on "Delia" in the Sean Wilentz book, it adds some insight to the process and the work that goes into a dylan 'cover.' that is enough for me to say, 'cover or not, it's a dylan song now.' his blind willie mctell chapter is phenomenal too.

World Gone Wrong is a critically necessary album for any full spectrum dylan collection. there are a handful of albums that do not make that list. i also think it's the best thing he put on record between 1977 and 1997. that's a good twenty year stretch. nearly half of his recording career.

wilentz is one of bob's hired lackeys

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:28 GMT 

It's been speculated that the prime motivation behind the excellent WGW sleevenotes was to acknowledge the inspirations behind his versions, which some people felt he should have done with GAIBTY. In fact, it strikes Trev that Dylan may have deflected some of the plagiarism criticism for recent albums if he'd written similar sleevenotes acknowledging his use of, say, Peter Green's translation of Ovid.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 14:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

elmer wrote:
Troubadour64 wrote:

and that means...what? that he's not a capable author or skilled historian?? or able to make a strong case? not following you here. to me it might mean he'd have access to personal conversations with mr. dylan that few people who attempt to write dylan books are able to experience.

trev, i think some of your finest points have been raised whilst speaking in the third person. well done! the hulk always sounded smarter as the grey entity, when he spoke in the first person.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 16:16 GMT 

elmer wrote:
Troubadour64 wrote:

and that means...what? that he's not a capable author or skilled historian?? or able to make a strong case? not following you here. to me it might mean he'd have access to personal conversations with mr. dylan that few people who attempt to write dylan books are able to experience.

trev, i think some of your finest points have been raised whilst speaking in the third person. well done! the hulk always sounded smarter as the grey entity, when he spoke in the first person.

it means if you are on someone's payroll then your judgment is suspect; it's not that difficult a concept. you may know it better as conflict of interest.

remember what the doctor said: "history is only so much hired bullshit."

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 16:18 GMT 
Senior Moderator

DylanEgo wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:

I had a feeling it was from that album. I'll have to get it. Let me ask you, did Dylan write the songs on World Gone Wrong and As Good As I've Been To You, or were they covers, or did he put his own lyrics to old melodies? I'm confused on this.
Thanks

Get them! You won't be disappointed. Good As I Been To You is amazing!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 18:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

elmer wrote:

it means if you are on someone's payroll then your judgment is suspect; it's not that difficult a concept. you may know it better as conflict of interest.

remember what the doctor said: "history is only so much hired bullshit."

that is a difficult concept for me to swallow actually. mainly because it's a gross (and slightly disgusting) generality. i happen to think most people draw from more faculties when making decisions besides who's footing the bill. by your logic you would think bob would only be permitted to write pro-business songs since he works for Sony/Columbia - or if he doesn't, every song he writes is somehow cryptically biased in favor of american business philosophy. and also, the only way to be virtuous and true is to be unemployed or self-employed??

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 18:21 GMT 

uhm, I don't think Wilentz gets payed by Dylan or Sony.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 19:12 GMT 

By Wilentz’ own admission: “Since 2001, he has served as historian-in-residence at Dylan’s official Website, http://www.bobdylan.com.” (source: Wilentz’s website) In the days of European royalty, they were called court historians. And we all know who they worked for and it wasn't the truth.

In the real world that makes him a shill. He’s in Bob’s pocket so to speak. As Bob’s lapdog, he is the equivalent of a p.r. hack for British Petroleum speaking about the oil spill a few years ago. And I’m sure you believed them. Oh but of course they would make decisions with no regard to who was paying them or giving them fancy titles. At least in your world.

As for me i prefer my historians to be purer than caesar's wife.

I find your analogy to Sony fatuous and without merit.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 19:54 GMT 

Trev wrote:
It's been speculated that the prime motivation behind the excellent WGW sleevenotes was to acknowledge the inspirations behind his versions, which some people felt he should have done with GAIBTY. In fact, it strikes Trev that Dylan may have deflected some of the plagiarism criticism for recent albums if he'd written similar sleevenotes acknowledging his use of, say, Peter Green's translation of Ovid.

not to mention his version of black magic woman

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 19:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Giada wrote:
uhm, I don't think Wilentz gets payed by Dylan or Sony.

Yes, he does. His book is still very good, though.

http://seanwilentz.com/about/

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

DylanEgo wrote:
http://www.borntobenervous.com/2009/04/read-bob-dylan.html

Bob is a genius.....no doubt..

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

The early '90 acoustic albums are among his best-ever records.
I'm not kidding (but you knew that).

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
The early '90 acoustic albums are among his best-ever records.
I'm not kidding (but you knew that).

agree ......partially.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

1 - TOOM
2 - "Love And Theft"
3 - WGW / GAIBTY
4 - BOTT
5 - Oh Mercy

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
1 - TOOM
2 - "Love And Theft"
3 - WGW / GAIBTY
4 - BOTT
5 - Oh Mercy

:mrgreen:

Blonde On Blonde?

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Somewhere in the two figures. BIABH might make the top 10. I'd have to think about it.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2012, 20:54 GMT 

stephenoxford wrote:
Covers... and shameless lifts from other artists interpretations: Paul Brady, Nic Jones....

I believe they're called "traditional songs." People have been shamelessly lifting them from each other for hundreds of years; that's the only reason they still exist.