Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon September 1st, 2014, 23:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 17:13 GMT 

Yes, we all live in glass houses! :D Love, Joanna XXXO

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 17:19 GMT 

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 17:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

J0hanna4Ever wrote:
Don't worry; I am not allowed out alone! :lol:

I like that statement, but I am not sure if I like it because it is amusing or reassuring..... :P

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 17:48 GMT 

Jal015 wrote:
All I friends I ever had are gone :(

All THE friends I ever had are gone :(

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 18:31 GMT 

dgsvoboda wrote:
Nevertheless ...

Levon was an important person in Bob's past life, certainly.

And I think now is not the time to criticize Bob's response to this loss.

Judge not ...

yeah yeah.

i ain't no bootlicker or lickspittle

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 18:42 GMT 

Hi Lily Rose, I am allowed out unattended and I take care of people, not the other way around! :D However, when I used to go out and my girlfriends would go home early, I would end up in the strangest situations and places and they were not places that I would go normally. My friends agreed that I should not be left alone if out at night; I am friendly and it has gotten me into some weird situations. I don't go out much anymore; it still happens! :D I don't really feel like going out; too many weirdos out there and I have a LOSERS ONLY sign apparently attached to my forehead! :lol: Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 18:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob has a long history of honoring his friends who have passed, both publicly and privately, and I imagine at some point he will find a way that suits him to honor Levon, possibly beyond that statement, if he wishes.

He was there for many friends who passed on including Allen Ginsburg, George Harrison, he was there very eloquently when Warren Zevon was in his final illness. He was there, according to Eric Clapton, when Clapton's child died. I saw him play a song in concert in honor of Carl Perkins the day that Perkins' death became public.

It's his business whether he wants to do these things publicly or privately. Levon Helm was a life long friend to him and I don't think Bob should be judged by any public standards some would like to set for him as far as how he deals with losing people close to him. He made a public statement. Whatever he chooses to do now is his private business. He owes us no further display about how he feels about the death of Levon Helm. We need to get past wanting Bob to live his life in public. We have no right to expect it and he is free to do what he wants in handling his personal sadness about this. The last thing you need when someone dear to you dies is to have an audience waiting to see how you're going to respond and deciding whether you believe it was adequate or correct. Whatever Dylan is doing is what is right for him.

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 19:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

the_revelator wrote:
Bob has a long history of honoring his friends who have passed, both publicly and privately, and I imagine at some point he will find a way that suits him to honor Levon, possibly beyond that statement, if he wishes.

He was there for many friends who passed on including Allen Ginsburg, George Harrison, he was there very eloquently when Warren Zevon was in his final illness. He was there, according to Eric Clapton, when Clapton's child died. I saw him play a song in concert in honor of Carl Perkins the day that Perkins' death became public.

It's his business whether he wants to do these things publicly or privately. Levon Helm was a life long friend to him and I don't think Bob should be judged by any public standards some would like to set for him as far as how he deals with losing people close to him. He made a public statement. Whatever he chooses to do now is his private business. He owes us no further display about how he feels about the death of Levon Helm. We need to get past wanting Bob to live his life in public. We have no right to expect it and he is free to do what he wants in handling his personal sadness about this. The last thing you need when someone dear to you dies is to have an audience waiting to see how you're going to respond and deciding whether you believe it was adequate or correct. Whatever Dylan is doing is what is right for him.

Yes.

A lengthy public statement is not an indication of the measure of grief. Some people are naturally more private and deal with things in their own way and in their own time. I hope that it hasn't become a contest of who writes the longest tribute.

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 19:14 GMT 

I have a quite large collection of CDs. My "The Band, Greatest Hits" has been stolen more than any other CD. At least the thieves have good taste and I hope they enjoy that CD. I have had to replace it about five times. Bob is a private person and does not need to answer to anybody about his feelings. I apologize for any statements I made last night; I was very sad. After thinking about it and with input from the members here, I realized I was wrong. Love, Joanna XOXO

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 20:57 GMT 

elmer wrote:
dgsvoboda wrote:
Nevertheless ...

Judge not ...

yeah yeah.

No, you're just a cynical tosser. Tell you what, the next time someone dies who was close to you we'll all gather 'round and judge your response shall we?

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 20:59 GMT 

it's a date

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 23:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

The idea of having to grieve in a way that appeases people who never met me or the deceased almost makes me not want to be a rock star.

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 23:34 GMT 

I think it's more of a Bob Dylan thing, than a rock star one.

PostPosted: Fri April 20th, 2012, 23:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

True, he seems to get more intense scrutiny and judgement thrown in his direction.

PostPosted: Sat April 21st, 2012, 00:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

I can remember after John Lennon was murdered, some press people jumped Paul McCartney almost immediately, obviously surprising him, and McCartney, who was probably in shock, blurted an off the cuff response he'd never given any thought about, and which many people around the world thought was evidence of him being callous and not caring about John's death. It was terrible to see the responses to it, which hung in the ether drawing condemnation of McCartney for many years. I feel sure everyone now realizes, 30+ years on, that McCartney's one shocked remark given to scum media people immediately after Lennon was killed were no indication whatsoever about his feelings about the murder of his childhood friend. Everyone famous is aware now, following upon that incident, of being very very careful what they say to the media when someone close to them dies. Better Dylan gets an official statement out right now on his website, no matter how canned it may sound, than risk some dolt running up and trying to get him to comment, without preparation, about his grief on camera for world-wide consumption and judgment.

PostPosted: Sat April 21st, 2012, 00:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
The idea of having to grieve in a way that appeases people who never met me or the deceased almost makes me not want to be a rock star.

Everyone is judged and held to some outer-imposed standard of decorum by friends, family, neighbors, church, whatever, whenever someone they know dies. We all have to live with whether we've satisfied the judgments, needs, necessity to grieve just enough but also avoid offense, in a situation where there is no right or wrong, simply normal people struggling with the toughest things about life when all of us could use a bit of slack. People get their noses out of joint about things like who didn't come to a funeral or send flowers or inadvertently said something "thoughtless" and hard feelings about these things can divide and hurt people for years. It's the human condition to have no idea how to deal appropriately with death. What's the appropriate response? Nobody knows. And all of us are affected by this throughout our lives. Then imagine being famous and having the whole word decide that maybe you didn't react 'the right way' to what is a very private emotional trauma. Nasty!

PostPosted: Sat April 21st, 2012, 01:45 GMT 

elmer wrote:
dgsvoboda wrote:
Nevertheless ...

Judge not ...

yeah yeah.

No, you're just a clueless imbecile.

PostPosted: Sat April 21st, 2012, 01:53 GMT 

Everybody IS entitled to their opinion whether you agree with it or not. That is the First Amendment here in the United States and it is basically "The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without interference or constraint by the government." Maybe this web site is not based in the U.S. and therefore, the First Amendment probably means nothing. However, this a forum and if we all agreed on everything, it would be downright boring and there would be no need to even come here and express yourself. Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Sat April 21st, 2012, 02:31 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Some people think they know how Bob feels about this loss or they don't like what he said because it wasn't enough??? I think it's pretty f*king presumptious and lacking any compassion at a time like this.

People say all kinds of unkind things. However, it's not happening on this subject.

I'm annoyed.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2