Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu March 23rd, 2017, 02:07 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: "He still tours?"
PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 02:14 GMT 

I am astonished at the amount of people who have no clue of Bob Dylan's Never Ending Tour. When I bring him up they ask "isn't he a recluse? He doesn't tour anymore, right?" It's as if I have to put on my Dylan 101 suit and start teaching them of Bob's NET and how the man performs over 100 shows a year around the world at the age of 70!

Post subject: Re: "He still tours?"
PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 02:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev has noticed an equal and opposite phenomenon, in that Bob Dylan and the NET is now shorthand for a long tour. Time and again I've heard him referenced in this regard. I find it quite surprising that this has permeated the culture so fully. Of course, there are still plenty of people who presume him dead or retired, but I'm not that shocked by that because of the high number of people who confuse Bob Dylan with Bob Marley.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 06:03 GMT 

Trev wrote:
Trev has noticed an equal and opposite phenomenon, in that Bob Dylan and the NET is now shorthand for a long tour. Time and again I've heard him referenced in this regard. I find it quite surprising that this has permeated the culture so fully. Of course, there are still plenty of people who presume him dead or retired, but I'm not that shocked by that because of the high number of people who confuse Bob Dylan with Bob Marley.

There are strong similarities. Right?

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 06:14 GMT 

DylanEgo wrote:
I am astonished at the amount of people who have no clue of Bob Dylan's Never Ending Tour. When I bring him up they ask "isn't he a recluse? He doesn't tour anymore, right?" It's as if I have to put on my Dylan 101 suit and start teaching them of Bob's NET and how the man performs over 100 shows a year around the world at the age of 70!

Well, at least your folks know who Dylan is. I once asked some of my friends whether they wanted to go to a Dylan show with me. Most of them did not even know who he was, the rest thought he was already dead... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 06:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

huck wrote:
Trev wrote:

There are strong similarities. Right?

Plenty strong! And subtle differences ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BBBMNjPblY

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 07:20 GMT 

I get that sometimes. Most people I encounter are still aware of his work (I'd say probably 75-80 percent) and at least know that he's touring ("Oh yeah, didn't he play Tulsa a couple of years ago?") and recording (most everyone I've talked Bob with knew about TTL or Modern Times).

Now and again there are those who are just completely uninformed and are surprised that he's still at work and of course naturally think of America's favorite image of him upon hearing his name.... you know, the one with the acoustic and harp rack or the electric and the sunglasses, both circa 1960s.

I delight in telling these people about the NET and the material he continues to produce and have converted a great many into Bobcats.

What really annoys me though is when people see that I'm wearing a Dylan t-shirt and suddenly want to talk Bob with me, as if they're complete experts in all things Dylan....and then as soon as I say "I caught him x-number of months ago, did you attend that show?" their jaw drops and they are shocked that he still tours.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 07:37 GMT 

A friend of mine works with a 30 year-old German guy who didn't even know who he was.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 07:55 GMT 

Yeah, I once worked with the head of a Music Video department at a production company - someone who is in constant contact with all the record labels, and must have their 'finger on the pulse' of the music industry in order to be good at their job.

I mentioned I was going to see Dylan play... I was laughed at. She was convinced he was dead.

'He's that black guy, right? The dead one.'

She wasn't confused with Bob Marley, she thought he was an old-timey blues singer from decades ago.

Finger on the pulse, I tell you.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 07:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

blackhat wrote:
What really annoys me though is when people see that I'm wearing a Dylan t-shirt and suddenly want to talk Bob with me, as if they're complete experts in all things Dylan....and then as soon as I say "I caught him x-number of months ago, did you attend that show?" their jaw drops and they are shocked that he still tours.

You're a bit of a nob.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 08:39 GMT 

Reminds me of HMV in Singapore....... the CDs are filed under 'B'

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 11:48 GMT 

DylanEgo wrote:

This and who? and is he not dead?

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 11:52 GMT 

arcadian wrote:

I thought HMV was dead.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 12:03 GMT 

arcadian wrote:

That's because Chinese, Korean, and (usually) Japanese write the family name first. To simplify things, the alphabetization of western names is done by whatever name comes first.

When you think about it, it's actually a much more logical system.

I haven't met many music fans who don't know who Dylan is. However, another forum, for another artist, that I visit was recently using Dylan as an example of an artist who gets paid to torture people live.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 12:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

panther wrote:
I haven't met many music fans who don't know who Dylan is. However, another forum, for another artist, that I visit was recently using Dylan as an example of an artist who gets paid to torture people live.

Where can I sign up to your wonderful scheme?

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 13:52 GMT 

Bob might be the 8th. 9th, 10th... through the 20th wonder of the world! He continues to lead the parade, so to speak, for a whole generation to understand that they don't have to accept labels, or limitations put on them by society of when to quit being who they are, but instead continue to use their gifts and talents to the enjoyment of everyone. I really think his willingness to continue to grow and change and enjoy present moments has impacted scores of other entertainers/artists and encouraged them to let the world have collectively, hundreds of years more of the creativity of a creatively blessed generation. Many have stretched instead of settled, with the example of someone as famous as Bob Dylan keeping on keeping on to inspire them. "Go Bob!" :)

(:::ducking:::, but it's true, it seems, that "Spokesperson" thing)

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 16:53 GMT 

Train-I-Ride wrote:
A friend of mine works with a 30 year-old German guy who didn't even know who he was.

In the late 90´s I was in a taxi to get to a show in Rostock (or maybe Magdeburg?) and the cab driver (he was in his 50s) mistook Bob for Hansi Hinterseer. Now, that´s something to behold, even if it doesn´t mean anything.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 17:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^^ :lol:

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 17:47 GMT 

hanns wrote:
Train-I-Ride wrote:
In the late 90´s I was in a taxi to get to a show in Rostock (or maybe Magdeburg?) and the cab driver (he was in his 50s) mistook Bob for Hansi Hinterseer. Now, that´s something to behold, even if it doesn´t mean anything.

Well, they do look like identical twins. Still, at least your post has afforded me the opportunity to catch up with the career of Hansi, who I recall as an alpine skier of renown. Does this mean that Hermann 'The Hermanator' Maier now fronts a heavy metal Goth band? I hope so.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 18:00 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:
I mentioned I was going to see Dylan play... I was laughed at. She was convinced he was dead.

'He's that black guy, right? The dead one.'

She wasn't confused with Bob Marley, she thought he was an old-timey blues singer from decades ago.

Leaving aside the time scale, might have been Bo Diddley. Here in Spain, it's a common confusion -- because of pronunciation issues, "Bob" is always cut short, and (believe it or not) "Dylan" readily heard as "Diddley".

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 18:12 GMT 

A friend of mine beleived 16 years ago he had been dead years before. She was grown on the sixties music, but couldn't imagine he was alive. Then she discovered he was... and became a fan.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2012, 19:33 GMT 

arcadian wrote:

They're filed under B in China and Japan and probably other countries that don't have our naming convention. In China (and Japan) the family name comes first, hence being filed under the name that appears first.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2012, 00:48 GMT 

Surely most young people wouldn't know he still tours...I only know a few people in my age group (under 25) who even know who he is, and they were all music fans.

Anyway, it's just as well most don't know he still tours, it would be quite upsetting hearing him in his current state unless you're a masochist like me.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2012, 10:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think that may be right. I met a young woman last week who had no idea. She was pronouncing it Bob Dye-lin. Jaw dropping.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2012, 20:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

Everybody who knows me knows it. One curious person went to one of the fall tour shows last year and left minutes into Bob's set because of the bad sound.... :?

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2012, 20:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

lol