Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 28th, 2014, 08:17 GMT

All times are UTC

Which Side of Time out of Mind is the Holy Grail?
one) Love Sick/Dirt Road Blues/Standing in the Doorway/Million Miles 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
two) Tryin' to get to Heaven/'Til I fell in love with you/Not Dark Yet 65%  65%  [ 26 ]
three) Cold Irons Bound/Make you feel my love/Can't Wait 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
four) Highlands 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 40
PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 11:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's Thursday, you know what that means.....

i've deleted the death threats i got after forcing people to choose on Blood on the Tracks and JWH, so i'm ready for another batch :)

Time Out of Mind

because of the structural parallels between BoB and TooM, i think it's fitting to break this one down into sides for each disk. plus, i do think each one of these particular sides stand up pretty f'n well on their own.

Good luck! I've been contemplating this one since the first pole...there are some real challenges here if one is going after the big guns - they run counter to the cohesion approach.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 11:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

There's such a oneness to TOOM, you really can't split it up. So I chose side 4.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 11:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Two..

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 12:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

as far as what he's been vocal about, stephen has scored 100% so far on his survey responses. congratulations stephen 8)

most have been about 50/50 or 70/30, the normal curve persists! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 12:13 GMT 

It's ridiculously close between Side 2 and Side 3, I'm probably gonna have to go with Side 3 but it's a very, very close call.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

rolling_thunder wrote:
It's ridiculously close between Side 2 and Side 3, I'm probably gonna have to go with Side 3 but it's a very, very close call.

I feel that way about sides on and two. Make You Feel My Love drags side three down for me. I'm leaning towards side one... the combination and sequence is too good to pass up.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:23 GMT 
Mercury Member

Any fule kno iz side 1

'Not Dark Yet' is ModBob's single most overhyped song. It's pretty crap. "My sensitive manatee has gone down the drain"? Um, ok Bob..... "There's not even room enough to be anywhere"? What the x does that mean? Anyway, like most of TooM its a song made up of huskily grunted lines from other songs by other people, put to a tune thats also nicked off someone else or himself. It's not some grand epic, its just mood piece where the mood is melodramatic teenage/senile old bloke poetry about darkness and burdens and whirlpools and gayness.

At least Side 1 has 2 straightforward blues choons and 2 which are at least semi-original in their composition. The other sides don't. "Standing In The Doorway" is also the only classic on the album and the only song I'd keep if forced to shoot all but one track.

As for side 4, well Highlands is fine and dandy for 2-3 minutes tops, but a 12-bar blues that lasts for 37 hours? Piss off. It'd be the first to get a bullet.

Last edited by Bennyboy on Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:31 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Side 2

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
As for side 4, well Highlands is fine and dandy for 2-3 minutes tops, but a 12-bar blues that lasts for 37 hours?

I wish! 8)

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:31 GMT 

I've only listened to Highlands about 2 times. For the most part, I don't get into Bob Dylan's epic's all that often. Sad Eyed Lady is my favorite easily

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Bennyboy wrote:
As for side 4, well Highlands is fine and dandy for 2-3 minutes tops, but a 12-bar blues that lasts for 37 hours?

I wish! 8)

I bet you're a right laugh down the pub.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Whatever.... it's my number one wish to witness played live.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 13:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

that explains benny's problem with the later cut and paste bob - he never got to the verse where bob announces his next leitmotif:

The sun is beginnin' to shine on me
But it's not like the sun that used to be
The party's over and there's less and less to say
I got new eyes, everything looks far away.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 14:39 GMT 

Ah, Bennyboy, you're so wrong here. Usually, your diatribes have solid backing and are good fun - but your appraisal of Not Dark Yet and Time Out Of Mind in general makes you sound either facile or senile. You get to choose which.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 14:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Rimshottbob wrote:
Ah, Bennyboy, you're so wrong here. Usually, your diatribes have solid backing and are good fun - but your appraisal of Not Dark Yet and Time Out Of Mind in general makes you sound either facile or senile. You get to choose which.

Many thanks.

Oh please. 'Not Dark Yet' is overblown, crybaby non-specific woe-is-me bollocks. Someimes my bourbon is more than I can bear.....

Coming from anyone but the multi-millionaire tramp who can basically do whatever the fuck he likes and get away with it because he's, you know, BOB DYLAN!, the song might have more credibility. I'd be far more inclined to believe him if he wrote a track called "Not Waking Up In This Luxury Bed In This Beachfront Apartment In Honolulu Until, Oooh, Mid Afternoon At The Earliest, Aaaah, Bring It On!".....

Dylan was 55 when he recorded the song. Its taking a fucking loooong time to get dark mate.

Last edited by Bennyboy on Thu March 29th, 2012, 14:56 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 14:56 GMT 

That one was just as shortsighted, though it was more entertaining, at least.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 14:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

Always glad to please.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 15:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:
"My sensitive manatee has gone down the drain"?

:lol:
Never heard that. I like it though.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 15:04 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:
Any fule kno iz side 1

'Not Dark Yet' is ModBob's single most overhyped song. It's pretty crap. "My sensitive manatee has gone down the drain"? Um, ok Bob..... "There's not even room enough to be anywhere"? What the x does that mean? Anyway, like most of TooM its a song made up of huskily grunted lines from other songs by other people, put to a tune thats also nicked off someone else or himself. It's not some grand epic, its just mood piece where the mood is melodramatic teenage/senile old bloke poetry about darkness and burdens and whirlpools and gayness.

At least Side 1 has 2 straightforward blues choons and 2 which are at least semi-original in their composition. The other sides don't. "Standing In The Doorway" is also the only classic on the album and the only song I'd keep if forced to shoot all but one track.

As for side 4, well Highlands is fine and dandy for 2-3 minutes tops, but a 12-bar blues that lasts for 37 hours? Piss off. It'd be the first to get a bullet.

It's overhyped so I ignore the hype and take the song for what it is. The lyric is good, not brilliant, and it's a very stylish track done just fine. It definitely describes a state of mind that maybe not everybody has experienced.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 15:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

There are a couple of live performances of Highlands from the 2001 leg in Australia... There is a loose feeling as the song unfolds that gives the feeling he's making it up on the fly as the band is playing along... it has a joyful, hilarious feeling about it and even though I know the song I find myself hanging on each line wondering what's coming next. Its wonderful! Curiously, it ends the same way every time. :lol:

(I believe Adelaide is the one I'm thinking of.)

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 17:04 GMT 

Side 1 gets my vote. Not a bad tune in that bunch whereas side 2 has "Tryin' To Get To Heaven" and side 3 has "Make You Feel My Love." Can't pick side 4 simply because there has to be some variety.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 17:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bennyboy wrote:

Coming from anyone but the multi-millionaire tramp who can basically do whatever the fuck he likes and get away with it because he's, you know, BOB DYLAN!, the song might have more credibility. I'd be far more inclined to believe him if he wrote a track called "Not Waking Up In This Luxury Bed In This Beachfront Apartment In Honolulu Until, Oooh, Mid Afternoon At The Earliest, Aaaah, Bring It On!".....

Dylan was 55 when he recorded the song. Its taking a fucking loooong time to get dark mate.

right, and Martin Scorsese cannot direct a convincing violent movie because he's too friendly of a guy.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 18:27 GMT 

Bennyboy wrote:

why do you like North Country Blues then?

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 20:31 GMT 

It's a tough call between 2 and 3.

Side 1 is pretty good, but I don't like Dirt Road Blues, so that's out.
I've honestly never had the fortitude to listen to Side 4 from beginning to end, even when the CD is playing in the car. I've come close a few times, but I just can't do it.

Now, Side 2 has my two favorite tracks on the album, Trying to Get to Heaven and Not Dark Yet...But 'Till I Fell in Love with You, while not bad, is kind of forgettable.
I love everything on Side 3, but I don't know if I love them enough to give it the edge over 2.

PostPosted: Thu March 29th, 2012, 20:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bennyboy wrote:

It must be a curse to be alive at the same times as one of the best artists ever and not being able to like his work. I can't even imagine what it would feel like. I guess you've not witnessed or heard last fall's Hannover version.... heartbreakingly beautiful.