Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 19th, 2017, 20:01 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2016, 00:47 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 8327
Location: Desolation Row
To be fair to the Swedes, King Olaf gave Bob an award back in 2000, before Bob had won half of those prizes - and Bob showed up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2016, 01:01 GMT 

Joined: Sat October 11th, 2008, 07:24 GMT
Posts: 36
gibsona07 wrote:
To be fair to the Swedes, King Olaf gave Bob an award back in 2000, before Bob had won half of those prizes - and Bob showed up!

You don´t have to be fair to us, we didn´t have any king named Olaf at that time. Kings called Olaf, typically reside in Norway but who am I to tell...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2016, 02:12 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 8327
Location: Desolation Row
My apologies, it was King Carl XVI Gustav. :oops: I got a bit of Mixed Up Confusion, I'm afraid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2016, 02:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5024
Location: New Hampshire
Sweetheart68 wrote:
Bob won several Grammys, an Oscar, a Pulitzer, Kennedy Center honor, was inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame and the Presidential Award of Freedom long before Sweden got off it's ass. Sweden doesn't have shite on Gregory Peck.


Aux contraire mon amis. The Gregory Peck introduction, was fantastic. The bit about Bob Dylan reminding Peck of the civil war veterans he saw marching in a parade as a child, was terrific. The Nobel people however, in their speech, blew everyone out of the water with their wide and varied summary of the magic Bob brought to the planet. My opinion anyway, but good reminder of the Peck intro - it was the best until now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 01:34 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21167
You gotta strap yourself in watching them buy tix. Relentless & admirable passion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri December 16th, 2016, 02:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5024
Location: New Hampshire
Well, not all Euro's are on board, yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5vJOMUubE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 19:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 15th, 2013, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 422
Location: waitin' for it to rain
chrome horse wrote:
Sweetheart68 wrote:
Bob won several Grammys, an Oscar, a Pulitzer, Kennedy Center honor, was inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame and the Presidential Award of Freedom long before Sweden got off it's ass. Sweden doesn't have shite on Gregory Peck.


Aux contraire mon amis. The Gregory Peck introduction, was fantastic. The bit about Bob Dylan reminding Peck of the civil war veterans he saw marching in a parade as a child, was terrific. The Nobel people however, in their speech, blew everyone out of the water with their wide and varied summary of the magic Bob brought to the planet. My opinion anyway, but good reminder of the Peck intro - it was the best until now.


It's the best because he's Atticus. Sweden, however lovely, cannot compare. Granted I make these rules up normally but in this case Peck is the man.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 00:55 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21167
I've just convinced myself over in the Toronto live set thread that Americans are basically wussies & pussies when it comes to concerts. Especially Bob shows.
We lost it, for sure, over the last decade or less.
Concerts are so controlled & wimpy these days.
Heavy security and dancing is frowned upon. WTF America?
Spoiled brats in a complacent world.
(End of rant...for now)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 04:09 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16755
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
I think Dylan's show changed more than the desire of attendees to dance. And it would be more proper to refer to it as "stoned swaying" than dancing proper.

Anyway, Europeans sure seem to tape more shows than Americans, on the current tour anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 05:16 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 10th, 2009, 06:51 GMT
Posts: 2042
^ Sure seems that way smoke, very few shows have appeared yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 06:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 1092
smoke wrote:
I think Dylan's show changed more than the desire of attendees to dance. And it would be more proper to refer to it as "stoned swaying" than dancing proper.

Truth is that on the last European tour nearly all the shows were all seated and there wasn't much evidence of dancing, swaying or even foot tappin'. I think that's a real shame, at Bournemouth I was looking down on rows of lifeless seated individuals, no movement whatsoever - it seems a crime! The two Bob shows I saw at the same venue really rocked and it was great being in the standing area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 06:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 1525
dvdunplugged wrote:
smoke wrote:
I think Dylan's show changed more than the desire of attendees to dance. And it would be more proper to refer to it as "stoned swaying" than dancing proper.

Truth is that on the last European tour nearly all the shows were all seated and there wasn't much evidence of dancing, swaying or even foot tappin'. I think that's a real shame, at Bournemouth I was looking down on rows of lifeless seated individuals, no movement whatsoever - it seems a crime! The two Bob shows I saw at the same venue really rocked and it was great being in the standing area.


Given the age of Bob's fanbase these days, it makes sense. Reminds of listening to the Radio 4 programme Loose Ends last year, fronted by Clive Anderson. They were discussing that Ron Howard film about the Beatles live shows and then interviewed Cliff Richard, who was promoting his latest album. Anderson commented that back in the 60s, due to all the excited screaming girls, the overwhelming smell at a Beatles concert was of urine. He then turned to Cliff and said "Pretty much the same at your shows now, but for a different reason". He then ended the interview by saying he had been asked to underline the fact that all of Cliff's shows were all-seater venues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 11:21 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 17872
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
I only know three other Dylan fans and two of them are stuck somewhere around Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 Revisited and can't figure out why he doesn't just play his '60s music EXACTLY the way the studio released it.

Most everyone I know mimics the '60s Dylan as the reason they don't like his music, have no idea of what he's done since then, and are clueless about his musical influence. And I'll go out on a limb here and say that well over 99% of what they listen to will not be played 50 years after their artist debuted unless they are a fan of the '60s era bands.

My mother-in-law was born in Hibbing, MN in 1939 and lived there through WWII... and had no idea Bob Dylan was from Hibbing. Sometimes I just shake my head.

Based on what I see on Expecting Rain I would say Europeans appreciate Dylan more than Americans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 11:49 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu July 10th, 2008, 15:11 GMT
Posts: 11538
Location: brighton uk
Speaking as a European from the so called UK (which is anything but united) I would say a definite 'YES' - of course we appreciate him more, just like we appreciated the blues more, and the USA only really cottoned on to it after we'd sold it back to them in the shape of the UK invasion in the '60s... the USA often doesn't seem to appreciate what it has until it's (almost) gone. That's what happens when a nation is raised from the nursery of history in a meagre 250 years or so to a sense of entitlement and a lack of history. It's probably why much of the best art from the USA has come from immigrant populations and the (previously enforced settlement of...) black communities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 12:01 GMT 

Joined: Wed March 22nd, 2017, 15:55 GMT
Posts: 248
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
I've just convinced myself over in the Toronto live set thread that Americans are basically wussies & pussies when it comes to concerts. Especially Bob shows.
We lost it, for sure, over the last decade or less.
Concerts are so controlled & wimpy these days.
Heavy security and dancing is frowned upon. WTF America?
Spoiled brats in a complacent world.
(End of rant...for now)


I believe it's been all downhill since they started giving these venues corporate names. This coincides with the last time I felt free at a concert. I went to see Bob once and they moved me to a section all by myself in order to dance. The last time I attempted to see him resulted in being ejected for bumping into the guy seated behind me after standing up to clap! My final show of any kind was in 2009 at Shoreline for The Dead remnants and involved a significant amount of cocaine. That's a long story but it was a nightmare! I can't do it anymore and just stay away.


Last edited by restless fever on Fri July 7th, 2017, 12:03 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 1092
slimtimslide wrote:
Speaking as a European from the so called UK (which is anything but united) I would say a definite 'YES' - of course we appreciate him more, just like we appreciated the blues more, and the USA only really cottoned on to it after we'd sold it back to them in the shape of the UK invasion in the '60s... the USA often doesn't seem to appreciate what it has until it's (almost) gone. That's what happens when a nation is raised from the nursery of history in a meagre 250 years or so to a sense of entitlement and a lack of history. It's probably why much of the best art from the USA has come from immigrant populations and the (previously enforced settlement of...) black communities.

So true, and I'd even go as far as to say we appreciated Elvis more as well!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 12:43 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21167
restless fever wrote:
I believe it's been all downhill since they started giving these venues corporate names.
This coincides with the last time I felt free at a concert.

You may be onto something here. The whole feeling & free-spirited tone is certainly off-put when you find yourself walking into, say, the Jiffy Lube Center for a show.

restless fever wrote:
I went to see Bob once and they moved me to a section all by myself in order to dance. The last time I attempted to see him resulted in being ejected for bumping into the guy seated behind me after standing up to clap!

Yeah, it doesn't take much to rile folks these days. In only 4 scattered shows last year I was able to inadvertently irritate fellow concert-goers by simply standing up to clap in between songs. I can even remember an outdoor show a few years ago where the people in FRONT of me were pissed off I was standing!

restless fever wrote:
My final show of any kind was in 2009 at Shoreline for The Dead remnants and involved a significant amount of cocaine. That's a long story but it was a nightmare! I can't do it anymore and just stay away.

I don't know. Sounds like a good time to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 12:46 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 1525
How is it humanly possible to dance at a Bob Dylan show? Imagine if you ever heard any music with a beat, you'd have a heart attack.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri July 7th, 2017, 15:18 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 17872
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
McG wrote:
How is it humanly possible to dance at a Bob Dylan show? Imagine if you ever heard any music with a beat, you'd have a heart attack.

Dancing at a Dylan show should be strenuously discouraged as one runs the high risk of missing a significant nuance of a Never Ending Tour song, never to be experienced again. I cannot wrap my head around what would possess someone to spend that kind of money and risk missing out on the once in a lifetime, existential moment like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 03:10 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21167
"I know it looks like I'm movin' but I'm standing still."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 03:37 GMT 

Joined: Tue September 22nd, 2015, 07:30 GMT
Posts: 161
Most of the recordings which feature chatter while he is singing seem to be of shows in the US. In Europe, particularly the UK he is revered and the concert experience is largely based on listening intently. It is much the same in Melbourne where I currently reside. The last shows I saw at Sydney Opera house were very good. On the first night a substantial portion of the crowd surged forward and rushed the stage. Security was totally unprepared, and Dylan appeared to deliberately slow things down, in what seemed like an attempt to kill the enthusiasm.

Before the show on night two Barron (spelling) was out front an hour before the show started instructing security on how to prevent it recurring. Dylan evidently prefers the audience to listen and appreciate. Here in Oz most concert goers observe requests re cameras etc ( not just at Dylan shows) but in the US it seems that some attendees think that the artist has no right to restrict their actions. In recent times I've attended musicals, ballets, jazz, gospel and contemporary music events, they all make a similar request regarding 'no photos' and the audience plays ball. However, many Dylan fans in the US just chat the whole way through, take photos and enjoy a never ending piss. Strange way to treat an artist trying to deliver a serious message.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 10:06 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 31st, 2011, 13:57 GMT
Posts: 1010
Huck27 wrote:
The last shows I saw at Sydney Opera house were very good. On the first night a substantial portion of the crowd surged forward and rushed the stage. Security was totally unprepared, and Dylan appeared to deliberately slow things down, in what seemed like an attempt to kill the enthusiasm.



They could've just ran an episode of Matlock on the big screen...would've put those old timers right back in their seats.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21167
Huck27 wrote:
Most of the recordings which feature chatter while he is singing seem to be of shows in the US.

...many Dylan fans in the US just chat the whole way through...


Amazing how much money these people spend to then not pay attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 17:28 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 6th, 2009, 20:28 GMT
Posts: 1015
Location: I was there for a party once
All American audiences consume large quantities of a narcotic that makes them dress in black and sway back and forth asynchronously, like narcissistic, but very chic and skinny zombies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abbu5hcH0kk

Fact.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat July 8th, 2017, 18:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5024
Location: New Hampshire
Foggy wrote:
All American audiences consume large quantities of a narcotic that makes them dress in black and sway back and forth asynchronously, like narcissistic, but very chic and skinny zombies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abbu5hcH0kk

Fact.


Said narcotic is German beer - teaches white men how to dance. We can learn a lot from Germany - you are 100% correct. I prefer American high end pot, a milder and safer drug, but I'm not into drug discrimination. To each his own - just leave me alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mickvet, raphael


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group