Expecting Rain
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=68980
Page 5 of 12

Author:  Oneofusmustknow [ Sun September 28th, 2014, 16:57 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

I'm biased but...yeah. The guy is the most inventive, close-to-genius figure that America has ever had the pleasure to be the birth place of. And in terms of his lyrics, he's far closer to, and yep I'm biased again, to the rich tradition of song, verse and poetry found in Great Britain. We liked him the minute he appeared in the public eye because of that.

Author:  supermabel1 [ Sun September 28th, 2014, 17:36 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Leonard wrote:
The 1962 debut album reached 13 in the UK album charts, not registering at all in the USA. So we dug him first.

That LP entered the UK charts in May 1965, stayed 6 weeks, reached No 13 as you say. All a part of the Blobmania that swept the planet that year! :P

Author:  supermabel1 [ Sun September 28th, 2014, 19:39 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

supermabel1 wrote:
Leonard wrote:
The 1962 debut album reached 13 in the UK album charts, not registering at all in the USA. So we dug him first.

That LP entered the UK charts in May 1965, stayed 6 weeks, reached No 13 as you say. All a part of the Blobmania that swept the planet that year! :P

Us Brits wuz Blob-obsessed I tells ya!

Author:  leavinclaud [ Sun September 28th, 2014, 20:01 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

supermabel1 wrote:
supermabel1 wrote:
[quote="Leonard"]The 1962 debut album reached 13 in the UK album charts, not registering at all in the USA. So we dug him first.

That LP entered the UK charts in May 1965, stayed 6 weeks, reached No 13 as you say. All a part of the Blobmania that swept the planet that year! :P

Us Brits wuz Blob-obsessed I tells ya![/quote]

Here's a thing! Listen up chart fans. Bob and the Beatles are neck and neck in the number of UK top ten albums. Bob's been catching up since the Bootleg series started. Not that sales are even close

Author:  bjorn [ Sun September 28th, 2014, 20:47 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

aintnoprophet wrote:
jcastro wrote:
http://www.elcorreoweb.es/cultura/085388/alumnos/hispalense/matriculan/asignatura/bob/dylan

University Of Seville, Spain

sorry the article is in Spanish


Johanna Parker wrote:
There have been university courses on Bob all over the place, I think they had one in Austria as well.


I'm aware that there are university courses, academic conferences etc. - SirDogg however was talking about a
SirDogg wrote:
a study at a university where you can take a bachelor's degree in "Dylanology"


Now that will be handy! My daughter is just starting her Master's at the University of Seville in Spain. She is a Bob fan! That might be a class for her too. :wink:

Author:  jman [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 01:23 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Of course they do.
They also understand him and his work more betterer.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 02:00 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

leavinclaud wrote:
Here's a thing! Listen up chart fans. Bob and the Beatles are neck and neck in the number of UK top ten albums. Bob's been catching up since the Bootleg series started. Not that sales are even close

So Bob's only had an extra 40+ years to catch up to the Beatles.

Author:  huck [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 02:24 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

The biggest difference between European, Australian and Japanese audiences is that they 'listen' attentively without inane chatter. A clear indication that they have a greater appreciation for the mans music.

Author:  rolling_thunder [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 02:43 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Seems that way on this forum certainly, but he has quite a bit of American representation from fans as well.

Author:  Warren Peace [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 04:20 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

I wonder how much the 1966 concert footage factors into things. It must sting looking back on the scores of British snobs captured on those reels. You do get the sense that the current British enthusiasm is in part penance for being such x back in the day.

Author:  jimb727 [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 04:32 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Warren Peace wrote:
I wonder how much the 1966 concert footage factors into things. It must sting looking back on the scores of British snobs captured on those reels. You do get the sense that the current British enthusiasm is in part penance for being such x back in the day.


:lol: :P :lol: :P :lol: :P

Author:  Hungryhoss [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 06:14 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Warren Peace wrote:
I wonder how much the 1966 concert footage factors into things. It must sting looking back on the scores of British snobs captured on those reels. You do get the sense that the current British enthusiasm is in part penance for being such x back in the day.


People in the past are dickheads. If I was at that '66 show, I'd at least have recorded the f@cking thing on my smartphone.

Author:  huck [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 07:01 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Warren Peace wrote:
I wonder how much the 1966 concert footage factors into things. It must sting looking back on the scores of British snobs captured on those reels. You do get the sense that the current British enthusiasm is in part penance for being such x back in the day.


They were so x because they adored folk - Bob, but the x men in England were always in a minority, and anyway at least they did not sit there laughing out loud at Desolation Row, because they thought it was a comic gem.

Author:  Hungryhoss [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 07:24 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

huck wrote:
Warren Peace wrote:
I wonder how much the 1966 concert footage factors into things. It must sting looking back on the scores of British snobs captured on those reels. You do get the sense that the current British enthusiasm is in part penance for being such x back in the day.


They were so x because they adored folk - Bob, but the x men in England were always in a minority, and anyway at least they did not sit there laughing out loud at Desolation Row, because they thought it was a comic gem.


Laughter is the only proper response to 'Desolation Row' - haven't you worked that out yet?

Author:  chrome horse [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 15:07 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
I'm biased but...yeah. The guy is the most inventive, close-to-genius figure that America has ever had the pleasure to be the birth place of. And in terms of his lyrics, he's far closer to, and yep I'm biased again, to the rich tradition of song, verse and poetry found in Great Britain. We liked him the minute he appeared in the public eye because of that.


Well said, and along with the indisputable record sales statistics for the first LP,thankfully provided, have proven beyond any doubt - my original speculation, showing once again, the gut instinct is usually correct. And the fact that I am of direct British descent is merely coincidental, and has no bearing on my feelings.

One correction Mr. Oneof - your description of "close-to-genius" is slightly confusing, as I'm sure what you meant he IS beyond genius, but only just ahead of it, IE, close.

Author:  slimtimslide [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 15:40 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

I think Mongolians appreciate the 'concept' of Bob Dylan the most, because they eat very few vegetables, preferring very tough cheese discs. And they like to yak a lot, whilst huddled in their yurts.

Author:  Warren Peace [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 15:49 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

huck wrote:
but the x men in England were always in a minority


A minority perhaps, but Excalibur does have its fans.

No one's gonna get that Warren Peace, come on...

Author:  leavinclaud [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 17:31 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

slimtimslide wrote:
I think Mongolians appreciate the 'concept' of Bob Dylan the most, because they eat very few vegetables, preferring very tough cheese discs. And they like to yak a lot, whilst huddled in their yurts.


...and listen to Don Khan's latest river crossing anecdotes

Author:  supermabel1 [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 17:34 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Hungryhoss wrote:
Warren Peace wrote:
I wonder how much the 1966 concert footage factors into things. It must sting looking back on the scores of British snobs captured on those reels. You do get the sense that the current British enthusiasm is in part penance for being such x back in the day.


People in the past are dickheads. If I was at that '66 show, I'd at least have recorded the f@cking thing on my smartphone.

I DID!! Trouble is, it was one of them superior Betamax phones, so I'm stuffed innit! That 'Judas' thing btw wasn't a dig at Blob - it was an early incarnation of the 'Wally' call!

Author:  slimtimslide [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 18:49 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Wally was actually a lost dog at the Isle Of Wight festival - whether it was the year his Blobness played, or Jimi's year I cannot recall, but soon everyone was yelling his name, everywhere! I also don't know if the dog was ever found but recently it was Wally Hope's anniversary (of his demise) and quite a bit was written about the long forgotten tribe of Wallies who basically started the Stonehenge Festival (if one discounts the pagan people of ancient times before '74). It didn't become a term of abuse until long after that, but I too recall the distant call of the Wally. I even lived in Wallingford for a while but that was a coincidence, if such things are to be believed in..... I'm not really sure why it became a term of abuse, except that hippies are an easy target.

Judas himself used morse code and semaphore, snubbing betamax as an inferior system. How wrong he was.

It must be awful to be called Richard Head.... just an afterthought. I'd change my name to something sensible like Wally Betamax 66.

Author:  supermabel1 [ Mon September 29th, 2014, 22:43 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

Right so. Judas was a lost dog at the Royal Albert Hall in Manchester in 1966? His mate Wally got lost at the Isle of Wight in 1969 or 70 and at numerous other places where hippies and wannabes gathered throughout the 1970s? I was there so I sure don't remember it. Do they still sell wallies in chip shops?

Author:  huck [ Tue September 30th, 2014, 05:55 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

The term 'wally' actually came to prominence at IOW because the mobile fish and chip stand sold delicious wallies (pickles), which are often sold in the UK with fish & chips. Anyway the story goes that one of the members of rock band Blodwyn Pig lost his wally as he trekked through the crowd and began shouting," Hey, don't step on my wally". Hundreds of people stood up looking for it just as Tom Paxton came on and he thought he was being greeted by a standing ovation.

Author:  pirate [ Tue September 30th, 2014, 07:16 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

a wally is a pickled gherkin...an old girlfriend told me that it "looks like a shriveled up penis" that was the last one i ever ate....i only ever saw them for sale in london....terry from the minder tv series often mentioned them

Author:  Hungryhoss [ Tue September 30th, 2014, 08:10 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

I live in London. They sell expensive pickled wallies in hipsterish gastropubs these days. I believe they taste of irony.

Author:  chrome horse [ Tue September 30th, 2014, 15:17 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Do Europeans Appreciate Bob Dylan More Than Americans?

And isn't it nice, that, thanks to this, we have very learned, eyewitness accounts of the cruelest "Et tu, Bruté?" moment in the history of rock, and in the country of Shakespeare! Poetic cruel justice.

Page 5 of 12 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/